Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Another Bill posted:

Oh yeah, if we start looking we are going to find a lot of bodies everywhere. Sending ground penetrating radar to every residential school is the only way to start getting at the truth and no politician will do it.

All the more reason why weepy politicians talking about how sad this all is deserve to get shot into the sun. gently caress the politicians, get a public advocacy group to examine the sites and lay the skeletons at the feet of those responsible. It doesn't matter if the politicians reject responsibility they were never going to accept. What is important is that the public knows and forces action.

Japan has a similar issue with accepting responsibility as mentioned above, but I fault governments and their imposition of what constitutes "culture" rather than individuals when it comes to recognizing historical atrocities. When governments refuse to accept truth it is up to the public to educate themselves and lay the truth bare. The mindset of "we did nothing wrong" in Japan isn't universal, and neither is the mindset here in Canada with regards to residential schools. Most of it is born from ignorance inflicted by government systems rather than an ingrown hatred and denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

Do me a favor, bring this person a cassarole or something. Recovering from regular labour is hard enough but c sections are major surgery.

"Yes but you see we found efficiencies."

- MB Health Minister Kelvin Goertzen, in between doing a photo-op in front of a sign at a vaccine site that says "no photos" and attending an online conference with Betsy Devos.

"Give us some more of that!"

- replied rural Manitoba

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 1, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Headline in 6 months:

“Federal Liberals use the data collected from ground penetrating radar at residential schools to plot new pipeline routes”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Headline in 6 months:

“Federal Liberals use the data collected from ground penetrating radar at residential schools to plot new pipeline routes”

window seat please

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In CFL news the Edmonton Eskimos have changed their name to the Edmonton Elks and it's a sea of white trash fucko's being outraged and joking about Elk-culture. gently caress this Earth. We deserve this plague.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

By all means give them a rough ride over the made-up pluralization, though

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

flakeloaf posted:

By all means give them a rough ride over the made-up pluralization, though

It's a fake word but it sounds better as a team name and keeps the "Esks" shorthand going, so I don't hate it (I do, however, hate the team, a trash franchise for idiots, go stamps)

The John Deere logo is fuckin awful, though. I assume it was a contractually-obligated design as part of the new name, and they'll just keep using the EE logo everywhere they can.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

People watch the CFL? I was under the impression that whole thing was a money laundering scheme.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Saalkin posted:

People watch the CFL? I was under the impression that whole thing was a money laundering scheme.

Every year Winnipeg Blue Bomber and Saskatchewan Roughriders fans engage in a heated display of competitiveness that is ten times more furious than something as low stakes as a CFL game has any right to be.,

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I do sometimes wonder how other cities/provinces view it. Here in Winnipeg the CFL is nearly as big as the NHL in terms of passion and fan engagement. Bombers are a big loving deal.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Vintersorg posted:

I do sometimes wonder how other cities/provinces view it. Here in Winnipeg the CFL is nearly as big as the NHL in terms of passion and fan engagement. Bombers are a big loving deal.

I know quite a few Redblack fans in Ottawa. It's definitely a thing people care about, enough to fill the stadiums anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
A buddy took me to a BC Lions game once. The stadium was half empty and I thought the game ended about 45 minutes before it actually did end. The beer was only slightly cheaper than at a Canucks game so I found the whole thing to be a waste.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Saalkin posted:

At this point what isn't a money laundering scheme in this country? :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Is this maybe because for a long time Winnipeg didn't have an NHL team?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The only CFL fans I've ever met in the wild were roughriders fans, there seems to be a few of them around

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was always indifferent to the Argonauts but then they moved to our beautiful soccer stadium and we had to tear up the natural grass for some hybrid turf bullshit that ruins soccer players knees and now I hate them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

vyelkin posted:

Is this maybe because for a long time Winnipeg didn't have an NHL team?

Possibly but even when I was young it felt like a big deal. Especially since the Bombers won it in 1990. I have vivid memories of picking up my dad in the blizzard at the old stadium. Winnipeg is/was a blue collar city so stuff like this really resonates with people.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also speaking of the CFL, if you have enough time to read 40,000 words of just.... I don't even know, here is an, uh, essay about Tebows record-breaking stint in the CFL. I'm not going to spoil it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Don't read it on mobile, it has a lot of animations on that will only really work on a screen

edit: read it even if you don't care about football

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 1, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alctel posted:

Also speaking of the CFL, if you have enough time to read 40,000 words of just.... I don't even know, here is an, uh, essay about Tebows record-breaking stint in the CFL. I'm not going to spoil it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Don't read it on mobile, it has a lot of animations on that will only really work on a screen

This is the immortal Jon Bois' first masterpiece.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Another Bill posted:

I was always indifferent to the Argonauts but then they moved to our beautiful soccer stadium and we had to tear up the natural grass for some hybrid turf bullshit that ruins soccer players knees and now I hate them.

also gently caress the Argos GO CATS HOLY MAKINAW

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My football team, that is to say the football team that is mine that belongs to me, Anne Elk.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

Depends on the city I guess. Someone in Toronto may care about the Argos, but I've never met them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Are you truly a Cfl fan if you've never been drenched by the open gutters of Ivor Wynne stadium?

Are you truly a CFL fan if you've never had to break the layer of ice on your beer as you attempt to watch two teams in a driving snowstorm?

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 1, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It was a mistake renaming the Roughriders and they should have instead gone in the other direction and made all the teams Roughriders.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Madkal posted:

A buddy took me to a BC Lions game once. The stadium was half empty and I thought the game ended about 45 minutes before it actually did end. The beer was only slightly cheaper than at a Canucks game so I found the whole thing to be a waste.

Pretty sure there’s only about 40 actual fans and the rest wandered in by accident.

To date BC Lions football is the only sports game I’ve actually forgotten I had tickets for.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

All the more reason why weepy politicians talking about how sad this all is deserve to get shot into the sun. gently caress the politicians, get a public advocacy group to examine the sites and lay the skeletons at the feet of those responsible. It doesn't matter if the politicians reject responsibility they were never going to accept. What is important is that the public knows and forces action.

Japan has a similar issue with accepting responsibility as mentioned above, but I fault governments and their imposition of what constitutes "culture" rather than individuals when it comes to recognizing historical atrocities. When governments refuse to accept truth it is up to the public to educate themselves and lay the truth bare. The mindset of "we did nothing wrong" in Japan isn't universal, and neither is the mindset here in Canada with regards to residential schools. Most of it is born from ignorance inflicted by government systems rather than an ingrown hatred and denial.

flakeloaf posted:

The Hiroshima museum "recall[s] with great sorrow the many lives sacrificed to mistaken national policy", which is the closest thing I've ever seen to an admission... not that I've looked that hard, of course
My impression of the average Japanese person's views of the war after living there is that they know they did some awful things during that time and regret it, even if they can't point to discrete examples. The waters are muddied a lot because of toxic historiography in Japan history, heavily manipulated by a long campaign run by far right groups with close ties to the LDP that make sure textbooks and curriculums suit their agenda. You're probably never going to hear about Unit 731 or the Rape of Nanking in a Japanese school, and I'd imagine you'd have a difficult time publishing a book or article about topics like that too. There's also the cultural norm there that heavily frowns upon upsetting the social order, in addition to the risks of going against the agenda of entrenched and powerful groups if someone actually wanted to get loud about this.

Every now and then you do see some healthier reflection like at the museums at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nagasaki had an important introductory section where they briefly laid out the path to the nuclear attack through the war in China and the subsequent war in the Pacific.

Beelzebufo posted:

I know quite a few Redblack fans in Ottawa. It's definitely a thing people care about, enough to fill the stadiums anyway.
A Redblacks game was bar none the worst sports experience I've ever had, it's the only place I've ever seen fans of the same team boo eachother.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Are you truly a Cfl fan if you've never been drenched by the open gutters of Ivor Wynne stadium?

that was pretty much the moment I realized, no, I'm not a CFL fan

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
CFL seems sad because all the players look like they are depressed to be there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Alctel posted:

The only CFL fans I've ever met in the wild were roughriders fans, there seems to be a few of them around

one of my friends is a massive sask fan. she watches all the games, has a ton of logo merch, etc

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Saalkin posted:

Given the salaries of the players, I'm not sure they're handling a high volume. Trying to avoid taxes on a lemonade stand maybe?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Also the Ti-Cats have some pretty hardcore fans. oskee wee wee rear end city

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The various Stampeders games I've been to have been much more fun than Flames games. CFL is pretty fun

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I wouldn't say I care about the CFL, but I've gone to a few games and they're fun. Rules are better than the NFL imo

Anyway in real news:
https://twitter.com/paulvieira/status/1399783886771699717

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While it sucks for kids that is ultimately going to be the right thing to do.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The local newspaper had a spin about how parents are fed up with online learning and were demanding kids be sent to school ASAP.

Like, really? It seems like such a dumb move with only like 3 weeks left of school. What benefit could it possibly have that isn't joined with increased risk?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Syfe posted:

The local newspaper had a spin about how parents are fed up with online learning and were demanding kids be sent to school ASAP.

There's some kind of organized effort to get schools to reopen but I can't figure out who or why. Only the dumbest dickbags I know want schools to reopen at this point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sashimi posted:

My impression of the average Japanese person's views of the war after living there is that they know they did some awful things during that time and regret it, even if they can't point to discrete examples. The waters are muddied a lot because of toxic historiography in Japan history, heavily manipulated by a long campaign run by far right groups with close ties to the LDP that make sure textbooks and curriculums suit their agenda. You're probably never going to hear about Unit 731 or the Rape of Nanking in a Japanese school, and I'd imagine you'd have a difficult time publishing a book or article about topics like that too. There's also the cultural norm there that heavily frowns upon upsetting the social order, in addition to the risks of going against the agenda of entrenched and powerful groups if someone actually wanted to get loud about this.

Every now and then you do see some healthier reflection like at the museums at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nagasaki had an important introductory section where they briefly laid out the path to the nuclear attack through the war in China and the subsequent war in the Pacific.

Ultimately that's pretty much what we do here in Canada. We don't teach just how horrific our own past with residential schools is beyond "we did some bad things." Our high school history classes don't talk about Canadian War Crimes in WW1 and especially in WW2 where we had a nasty rash of POW executions. We may not have the same outward appearance of frowning upon topics that upset the social order but we absolutely do downplay uncomfortable topics. We as a country are comfortable in mediocrity that doesn't rock the boat that much, which is why we've had decades upon decades of liberal rule with the occasional conservative administration to remind us how much worse things can be when we're not being mediocre.

Nobody likes looking at their dirty past and the only way to learn more is to seek it out, because public education and catholic education sure as poo poo aren't going to do it for you. The only reason I learned about the motherfucker known as Duncan Campbell Scott is because his poetry was on the syllabus for CanLit in university and my prof was good enough to emphasize what a colossal monster he was to put his poetry into context.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

To the surprise of absolutely no-one

https://twitter.com/globalwinnipeg/status/1399794181724385283

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ultimately that's pretty much what we do here in Canada. We don't teach just how horrific our own past with residential schools is beyond "we did some bad things." Our high school history classes don't talk about Canadian War Crimes in WW1 and especially in WW2 where we had a nasty rash of POW executions. We may not have the same outward appearance of frowning upon topics that upset the social order but we absolutely do downplay uncomfortable topics. We as a country are comfortable in mediocrity that doesn't rock the boat that much, which is why we've had decades upon decades of liberal rule with the occasional conservative administration to remind us how much worse things can be when we're not being mediocre.

Nobody likes looking at their dirty past and the only way to learn more is to seek it out, because public education and catholic education sure as poo poo aren't going to do it for you. The only reason I learned about the motherfucker known as Duncan Campbell Scott is because his poetry was on the syllabus for CanLit in university and my prof was good enough to emphasize what a colossal monster he was to put his poetry into context.

I contextualized my former career with the words "After Somalia" and then had to stop to explain what happened in Somalia.

To a federal public servant.

I weep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont have a ton of memories of history/social studies but i definitely feel like i came out of high school with a reasonable understanding of how heinous residential schools really were. a friend of mine says she remembers explicitly learning that too (this is in vancouver)

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 1, 2021