Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Any bluetooth headphones should work with Linux I'd have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They'll surely just work with the terrible baseline codec, but the higher quality (but proprietary) codecs might require some jumping through hoops

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
He might just need to install pulseaudio-bluetooth if his distro doesn't include it by default.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
thankfully libldac exists and can do all the various aptx flavors. just apt-get install libldac pulseaudio-modules-bt if you're ubuntu-adjacent.

e: apple's codecs obviously won't work though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Budget - 70-150$ Canadian
Source - PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, open back, circumaural? I don't need isolation, just something that will be comfortable to wear for hours / doesn't feel like it's clamping my head.
Past Headphones - Phillips SHP9500S (see below) Audio Technica AD700 (cord got chewed up) - both of these had the ideal style/comfort I want.
Other: Replaceable cord

I've had the Phillips SHP9500S for a few years now and they do the job well, but recently i've been having issues where Im getting static & audio loss from what seems like a bad connection. I tried getting a new cord, but I think there's just something going on with the jack on the headphone side, (it seems like it will get a bit better if I unplug and replug, but will get kinda funny over time) and I haven't the faintest idea how I could fix it, and I might just need to replace? While I'm tempted to just order a replacement pair, I must have gotten my first pair on sale (70$) or they're no longer made because they're going for a decent bit more now, so I'm unsure if I maybe have better options for less or similar.

Also, would be interested if there's wireless/bluetooth options that are circumaural/openback or otherwise match the comfort factors of my past headphones, even if they go out of my price range.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

If you really like your current headphones there's nothing wrong with simply buying the [current year] version of those to replace as they wear out. I don't own a pair of SHP-9600s (the new version) but apparently they're good. If they're available in your local currency for a price you like, perhaps an option? Otherwise I can thoroughly endorse the Sennheiser 560S becuase I actually own those. No idea what they cost in maple syrup bucks though.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I bought the latest KZ model to get some hype, the 3 direct driver per side DQ6. They are really inexpensive ($21 on aliexpress) and I wanted a new cheap daily driver with a mic for work meetings and listening to music in between. They sound like unremarkable $21 IEMs with washed out mids and murderously elevated lower treble. Not sure what everybody is hearing in these to drive the hype train. Nope.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

Budget - 70-150$ Canadian
Source - PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, open back, circumaural? I don't need isolation, just something that will be comfortable to wear for hours / doesn't feel like it's clamping my head.
Past Headphones - Phillips SHP9500S (see below) Audio Technica AD700 (cord got chewed up) - both of these had the ideal style/comfort I want.
Other: Replaceable cord

I've had the Phillips SHP9500S for a few years now and they do the job well, but recently i've been having issues where Im getting static & audio loss from what seems like a bad connection. I tried getting a new cord, but I think there's just something going on with the jack on the headphone side, (it seems like it will get a bit better if I unplug and replug, but will get kinda funny over time) and I haven't the faintest idea how I could fix it, and I might just need to replace? While I'm tempted to just order a replacement pair, I must have gotten my first pair on sale (70$) or they're no longer made because they're going for a decent bit more now, so I'm unsure if I maybe have better options for less or similar.

Also, would be interested if there's wireless/bluetooth options that are circumaural/openback or otherwise match the comfort factors of my past headphones, even if they go out of my price range.

I bought Philips SHP9500S just a couple of weeks ago. I'm a Canuck in Australia, so currency weirdness and shipping costs are certainly part of the equation. I'm very happy with them so far. (I guess there's my review: pretty good, happy, thanks again goons!).

I just checked the price on them and it's about 60% higher than it was when I bought them, less than a month ago. So, at least on Amazon Australia, the price seems to bounce around. If you can afford to wait a while and just watch the price for a bit you can probably get them in for about $100 CAD - that's what I paid ($105 AUD). Amazon is also telling me about the newer version, the 9600, for about $200 AUD (today).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

trem_two posted:

I bought the latest KZ model to get some hype, the 3 direct driver per side DQ6. They are really inexpensive ($21 on aliexpress) and I wanted a new cheap daily driver with a mic for work meetings and listening to music in between. They sound like unremarkable $21 IEMs with washed out mids and murderously elevated lower treble. Not sure what everybody is hearing in these to drive the hype train. Nope.

We call that the „KZ signature sound”

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
KZ loving sucks rear end. Ive bought and thrown away at least 15 of them.

GET Tanchjim Tanya and turn them up to 11. SICK loving 22 bux set that is rocking my socks off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Pioneer SE-CH3T. Open back, 5.5mm graphene coated driver, ~$25. drat good IEMs, though they could use a touch of sub-bass.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

KZ loving sucks rear end. Ive bought and thrown away at least 15 of them.

GET Tanchjim Tanya and turn them up to 11. SICK loving 22 bux set that is rocking my socks off.

Yeah i think I'm going to do that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So Tanya is pretty cool. Kind of a better Sony MH755. BUT it comes with some extra Tanchjim Oxygen (tanya has same) filters. So I took the Blon 03 grill/filters out of the nozzle and put the Tanya filters on there. Wow! This is my kind of sound. Highly recommended and the lowest cost awesome sound I've come across.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Budget - $200 or less.
Source - Mac mini and Yamaha receiver
Past headphones - different Sennheisers, currently HD599 SE
Preferred type - over ear Sennheisers have been pretty comfy so I suppose over ear/open.
Other - preferably single sided, long cord or if its a short cord that I could replace that would be fine.

I have been using Sennheisers at home for years. I like the way they sound. I use them to listen to music (pop/alternative) and movies/tv shows with my Mac mini and to watch stuff on TV connected to a Yamaha receiver. I currently have the HD 599SE. I get curious though if I should try something else. Recently I have been looking at planar stuff like Hifi man on drop and amazon. Anyone can chime in how those compare to my current headphones?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

serebralassazin posted:

Budget - $200 or less.
Source - Mac mini and Yamaha receiver
Past headphones - different Sennheisers, currently HD599 SE
Preferred type - over ear Sennheisers have been pretty comfy so I suppose over ear/open.
Other - preferably single sided, long cord or if its a short cord that I could replace that would be fine.

I have been using Sennheisers at home for years. I like the way they sound. I use them to listen to music (pop/alternative) and movies/tv shows with my Mac mini and to watch stuff on TV connected to a Yamaha receiver. I currently have the HD 599SE. I get curious though if I should try something else. Recently I have been looking at planar stuff like Hifi man on drop and amazon. Anyone can chime in how those compare to my current headphones?

You're in sidegrade territory. Is your current set worn out and you want something modern? Sennheiser 560S.

If you're after a cheap planar experience then yeah get the HiFiMan HE-400i 2020 version. Buying the Drop variants of HiFiMan headphones is an option too but they will have slightly different tuning and materials.

How will they compare? Planars and dynamics are very different experiences. Hard to describe without using flowery bullshit language. Both have upsides and downsides. Planars generally require more juice to be properly driven and thats where serious headphone amps come into play. I don't care to talk about the math forumlas but I want to assume a stereo receiver can power anything reasonable. My Yamaha doesn't have a headphone jack so I can't compare.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 31, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a Yamaha receiver and the headphone jack is just not good, even with headphones supposed to sound good with crappy sources. I’d say it makes my headphones sound worse than when I plug them straight into my phone.

I also have a pair of 560S and love the sound, but dislike the comfort. They are clampier than my old HD 518. Plus, they do need a bit of juice IMO.

Also, the planars of today are different then the ones from a few years ago. I actually own a pair of planars (LCD-1) that work better with low power sources than the 560S, so I’d ask around about experiences with the cheaper Hifimans.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Thank you both for the replies.

The headphones aren't worn out, but they have started having this on and off rattling on the left side noticeable during lower bass. I tried carefully taking apart that side and didn't see anything loose but the actual speaker is covered by a glued on grill which I didn't want to try and take apart. So, I don't know if maybe there is something on the actual speaker causing that rattling or if it just crapping out. That got me thinking about something new or different.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

serebralassazin posted:

Thank you both for the replies.

The headphones aren't worn out, but they have started having this on and off rattling on the left side noticeable during lower bass. I tried carefully taking apart that side and didn't see anything loose but the actual speaker is covered by a glued on grill which I didn't want to try and take apart. So, I don't know if maybe there is something on the actual speaker causing that rattling or if it just crapping out. That got me thinking about something new or different.

There's a million things the rattling could be but on my old Sennheisers it turned out to be a tiny dog hair stuck in the middle part of the pad that took me like 3 months to find.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
That's actually what I was thinking it was. I'm going to open them up again and see if I can find anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So as someone whose headphone knowledge ('knowledge') has gone from buying trash gaming headsets since I was younger because I couldn't afford anything else to the realization that "Oh hey these things can actually sound nice?" in the last couple years, what's the deal with planar headphones? It's something that I am like, peripherally aware of and I'm soooort of starting to develop a headphone problem but I'm curious if there's a genuine, marked difference between traditional drivers and planar or if it's more of a purely subjective thing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Orv posted:

So as someone whose headphone knowledge ('knowledge') has gone from buying trash gaming headsets since I was younger because I couldn't afford anything else to the realization that "Oh hey these things can actually sound nice?" in the last couple years, what's the deal with planar headphones? It's something that I am like, peripherally aware of and I'm soooort of starting to develop a headphone problem but I'm curious if there's a genuine, marked difference between traditional drivers and planar or if it's more of a purely subjective thing.

There's a difference in sound signature - some people have special love for planar bass in particular - but it's definitely not mind-blowing or anything compared to a comparably priced set of cans with more traditional drivers. Worth looking around in your area to see if any stores have demo models from Audeze, probably not worth dropping a couple hundo just to see if you like them (unless you can easily afford it and the place you're buying from has a generous return policy, then do whatever).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately it looks like the couple of places that do headphone demos around here are still waving them off because of the pandemic which is entirely fair. I was admittedly mostly curious about planar sets (and electrostatic but lmao that kind of money for a pair of headphones... so far) because of the handful of various 'nice' headphones I've gotten to try they all kind of sound similar. I'm not sure if I'm not just able to pick out the differences from my relatively short time using nice headphones, if they sounded similar cause they were pretty much all $100-300 open back headphones with similar detail and staging or probably a combination of both. I'm definitely interested in finding different headphones for different listening purposes, though a solid chunk of my audio intake is video games I do like the idea of different signatures for various genres and such. Plus honestly, my hearing has always been fairly good and discovering more complex sound with good headphones has been neat. :shrug: So buying a couple two or few hundred dollar toys a year to test stuff out seems like a fairly low hobby entry before I lose my mind and buy something too crazy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Buy a pair of Grados to see if you’re one of the people like me who love how those sound (big treble focus) because a lot of people hate them with a passion. I have the SR80e and it’s my favourite pair I’ve ever used.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Grados was in fact on my list of "cheap enough to punt on" things that I've heard talked about as sounding extremely polarizing so I was gonna try a pair at some point just to see what I thought. I love the aesthetic of the 60, 80, 100 line if nothing else, they look cool.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Orv posted:

So buying a couple two or few hundred dollar toys a year to test stuff out seems like a fairly low hobby entry before I lose my mind and buy something too crazy.

Hifiman's lower-end sets are probably the cheapest widely recognized as good planar options. Monoprice has several that are quite cheap and I like the pair I have, but they're somewhat controversial.

Audeze is probably the biggest name in planars and they have some reasonably priced sets too. I have a pair of iSine 20s that I really like but they seem to only sell them anymore when they do their refurb sales.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Orv posted:

Grados was in fact on my list of "cheap enough to punt on" things that I've heard talked about as sounding extremely polarizing so I was gonna try a pair at some point just to see what I thought. I love the aesthetic of the 60, 80, 100 line if nothing else, they look cool.

Yeah and they’re super light and comfortable too, once you go to the 225 and 325 the metal housing makes them heavier and less comfortable as well as trying to be more balanced which I think defeats the point of buying Grados in the first place.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I was looking at HE-400i 2020s and Monoprice 565c(? loving Sony rear end names) as entry points, barring any sales on Audeze stuff or the decision to really make bad money calls.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

njsykora posted:

Buy a pair of Grados to see if you’re one of the people like me who love how those sound (big treble focus) because a lot of people hate them with a passion. I have the SR80e and it’s my favourite pair I’ve ever used.

I love Grados, after flirting with Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, and some others, I've been using Grados for 15 years now. I actually liked the sound of the 60s over the 80s and went with those, which were nice until I got a proper paycheck, and eventually graduated to the 225s. I haven't felt the need to go any further, I've just been very pleased with them.

But I do have a need for a wireless solution and I just saw that Grado has dipped their toes into that field. Does anyone have any experience with either the in-ear GT220 line or the over ear GW100 line? It's hard to tell which online reviews are trustworthy.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I asked around about the IEMs here previously and the consensus was they are just rebranded chinese IEMs, maybe with some tweaking to give it more of a Grado sound. However, the overear model is probably real Grado. I'm real interested in them but not sure which of their models they are most like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The reviews I read when they came out pegged them as 80/125 territory. So right where I’d want them to be.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks like Grado has moved the 60 et al series on to the X revision, are they a company that does wild swings between revisions or am I still pretty set when I grab one (or both probably) of them?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Orv posted:

It looks like Grado has moved the 60 et al series on to the X revision, are they a company that does wild swings between revisions or am I still pretty set when I grab one (or both probably) of them?

If the new cable is better than the kinked up garden hose, the revised versions might be nice, but I don’t think there was a huge sound difference when they previously revised to “i” and “e”

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool, thanks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought the Pixel Buds last year and have been extremely disappointed in their value/performance vs the cost.

Anyway, the Pixel Buds A are getting reviewed now, and for almost half the price of the other Pixel Buds, they seem to have the same issues but its more acceptable at the lower price point.

Not sure what issues people have with other brands of earbuds. Even after a year of firmware updates there's still issues with the headphones dropping connection, only connecting one, or going out of sync between left and right. And I've never once got more than 3 hours of battery life, and its actually very consistent, when Google claims 5.

Do other bluetooth earbuds go through these issues ? Or are the Pixel Buds just poo poo?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like they're just poo poo? I've had essentially no issues with my AirPods Pro or super cheap Anker earbuds, and the issues you mention seem to be... pretty annoying. Maybe you got a bad set?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My wife’s AirPods and AirPods Pro have been bulletproof thus far

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have a pair of Jabra buds, not a ton of use so far but they've had none of those problems you describe.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Even my cheap no name Chinese set never drops connections

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah even my ultra cheap Chinese set doesn't drop connection and can do 8 hours battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had very few bluetooth issues with apple, anker and aftershoks, though I do have a fiio BTR1K that has a range of about six feet and gets signal blocked by my rear end. I blame google for your problems, OP