Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Didn’t Kumail have a serious gaming addiction at some point? Like, career affecting? Maybe not a great candidate for healthy choices. If he’s got an addictive streak it might not be a good long term situation.

What makes me think is Zyzz (RIP) had a better physique, no trainers and no super strict diet. Why do these stars bother doing kale/salmon nightmare meals when on that level of gear.

well why not fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MacheteZombie posted:

Disney branded steroid regiments

Only a matter of time until you can book a "Marvel Hero Fitness Boot Camp" as part of your stay at the Magical Kingdom or whatever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the thing that bothers me about the juicing stuff is that it seems rooted how back in the earlier days of comic book moives you would get a lot fans demanding wrestlers play superheroes. Obviously there have been some good examples, so not to poo poo on wrestlers, but it's gross for people to have to change their body and mess with their hormones out some vague idea of appeasing nebulous fans. Especially when it's hard to imagine directors like Gunn or Zhao would really give a poo poo about that. Like Adam West and Christopher Reeve were both really fit dudes, but I don't think their physiques would really fly today.

The other thing is that despite having these ridiculous jacked dudes, they get still wear these bulky outfits. Why the hell are people gonna deny Henry Cavill in tights, ya know? What's the point?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can also do this without drugs, hth.
Ok so we went from don't bodyshame people for not being swole to, shame people for not exercising enough? cool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Martman posted:

Ok so we went from don't bodyshame people for not being swole to, shame people for not exercising enough? cool

Be the shame you want to see in the world

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

well why not posted:

What makes me think is Zyzz (RIP) had a better physique, no trainers and no super strict diet. Why do these stars bother doing kale/salmon nightmare meals when on that level of gear.

Since the PED use can't be publically aknowledged excuses have to be found for the remarkeable results. That's why everything told publically about celebrity training regimes features absurd amounts of overtraining and really weird dieting prescribed by hack dieticians/personal trainers.

Some of it is true, some of it is PR. A combination of grifting and PR basically (good luck figuring out where one starts and the other ends).

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 1, 2021

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Martman posted:

I don't think that saying that it's a reasonable goal for all those capable to gain strength without synthetic chemical assistance, while improving quality of life in the short and long term constitutes 'shaming'.

General fitness knowledge all around is atrocious, so many people think you need to spend multiple hours in the gym almost everyday to get anywhere, and it doesn't help whenever the next celebrity makes a big transformation and publishes their absurd workout routine.

And of course the other critical side to this is the incredibly bad U.S. diet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Martman posted:

This is some bullshit. Some are saying just don’t loving inject steroids.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

not me, I’m saying inject as many as you can, every day, all the time

only then will you know true power

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

only through steroids will you be able to save the ones you love... from certain death

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Martman posted:

Really reaching to find something to get mad at here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

well why not posted:

Didn’t Kumail have a serious gaming addiction at some point? Like, career affecting?

I don't know about that but he did host a podcast called "Indoor Kids" where he and his wife and the occasional C-Tier comedian would talk video games.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

I don't believe we did go there at all, but certainly for the average person if their goal is to get strong some exercise and weight training is going to be a much better option than PEDs. I'm sure there are people for whom steroids are a medical necessity for muscle growth and exercise/weight training isn't a safe option, I doubt YOLOsub was shaming those people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Scientists know how much muscle a natural lifter can put on in a month. It's been tested many times and in many ways accounting for all sorts of genetics and I'm very sorry to say it's substantially less than a pound. So every one of these celebs who crow about their 20 pounds of muscle in 6 months (which is insanely high even for a PED lifter) is telling on themselves.

Now there are some caveats here; for example if you've put on the muscle before naturally (let's say you played football in high school) it will come back much faster than somebody earning it fresh. And if you were morbidly obese you actually gain muscle faster during a bulk (but also gain fat faster). Lots of interesting research out there if you care to look.

In my opinion if you want to see responsible use of PEDs, look at Hugh Jackman. IIRC he had long (9+ month) training periods and only got a little bigger for every movie, so yeah by the end he was carved out of marble and 40% vascularity by weight but still looked like himself and hadn't ruined his face or health. If he had actually tried to get as big as he was for his last outing as Wolverine on his first try, he would not have looked good.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
My biggest issue isn't ped use. It's the unhealthy and unrealistic body images seen in media. The vascularity and size you see in shirtless scenes are shot in tight windows and the beginning of filming because you need to dehydrate and plan your training and diet for peak performance.

Bodybuilders have to plan poo poo out in advance when they compete. They don't stay that size all the time but films create a false sense of normalcy.

Henry Cavill has mentioned he had to stop taking liquids for a while for shirtless scenes while filming. That poo poo isn't healthy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's even more ridiculous when you consider how old these actors are when they're going through these physical transformations. Kumail Nanjiani is 43. Hugh Jackman was almost 50 in his last outing as Wolverine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the other end of 90s heroin chic figures.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't believe we did go there at all, but certainly for the average person if their goal is to get strong some exercise and weight training is going to be a much better option than PEDs. I'm sure there are people for whom steroids are a medical necessity for muscle growth and exercise/weight training isn't a safe option, I doubt YOLOsub was shaming those people.

Yes. For the vast majority of people exercise and appropriate diet are going to make them strong enough to do most anything they need to and healthier overall than doing PEDs. I don’t really care if people want to do them, but outside of specific medical situations it is entirely about vanity and not about health or general fitness.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t really care if people want to do them, but outside of specific medical situations it is entirely about vanity and not about health or general fitness.

Some people need to look swole for work :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 1, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes. For the vast majority of people exercise and appropriate diet are going to make them strong enough to do most anything they need to and healthier overall than doing PEDs. I don’t really care if people want to do them, but outside of specific medical situations it is entirely about vanity and not about health or general fitness.

There's a really great documentary on this about 3 brothers who grew up watching 80s action movies and all became various musclemen, the smallest and youngest brother made a documentary about it. It's honestly very sad in some ways. Anyway, here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Stronger,_Faster*

I believe it's free on Prime video right now, if anyone wants to watch it. Well worth it IMO.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1399813567302492163

Kevin Feige... is a very strange dude for being such an extremely normal person

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

the gently caress

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I know this is just another thing in the never ending churn of the MCU promotional media gyre but it also pleases me to think that Feige of all people has no idea what a portmanteau is and never considered that you could combine words until he saw a mediocre Spike Lee joint.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I guess it's consistent with the goldfish memory that is Disney-Marvel. "BlackKklansman?! You can just...mush words together?! The 2010's are a wild time to be alive! What if we made....like a Black superhero, too? Has anybody thought of that?"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don’t want to belabor the obvious point here that I’m sure everyone in the room understands (not you, Kevin), but there’s a very specific reason why they pushed Black and Klansman together into a single word and even added another K in the middle...

WandaKKKVision

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Kevin Feige sounds so dumb when he's talking about his products. Keep him on the money-side, guys.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t want to belabor the obvious point here that I’m sure everyone in the room understands (not you, Kevin), but there’s a very specific reason why they pushed Black and Klansman together into a single word and even added another K in the middle...

WandaKKKVision

He's also doing a disservice to his own thing. Like, WandaVision makes sense within the context of the show, so it's really silly for him to be like "we realized we can squish words together!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm just shocked they didn't start with the name and work backwards

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scientists know how much muscle a natural lifter can put on in a month. It's been tested many times and in many ways accounting for all sorts of genetics and I'm very sorry to say it's substantially less than a pound. So every one of these celebs who crow about their 20 pounds of muscle in 6 months (which is insanely high even for a PED lifter) is telling on themselves.

Now there are some caveats here; for example if you've put on the muscle before naturally (let's say you played football in high school) it will come back much faster than somebody earning it fresh. And if you were morbidly obese you actually gain muscle faster during a bulk (but also gain fat faster). Lots of interesting research out there if you care to look.

In my opinion if you want to see responsible use of PEDs, look at Hugh Jackman. IIRC he had long (9+ month) training periods and only got a little bigger for every movie, so yeah by the end he was carved out of marble and 40% vascularity by weight but still looked like himself and hadn't ruined his face or health. If he had actually tried to get as big as he was for his last outing as Wolverine on his first try, he would not have looked good.

Jackman looks freaky in the later movies because he’s so dehydrated. Cavill, Momoa and Hemsworth look the best because they’re not drained of fluids and don’t appear to be comprised solely of tren and clen.

It seems like a matter of time before one of these actors just straight up has a heart attack. Sure, the marvel machine pays for sports doctors to stop Kumail’s organs from popping like balloons, but they’ve raised the bar so high that lesser companies are going to struggle to safely match it.

What happens when a c-tier studio tries to get a tiktok star to look like Kumail, without the Lance Armstrong doctors on speed dial?

What a bleak situation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

The weird thing is that WandaVision is kind of a clever title because it evokes the main characters and a TV. show. It's not really just a random mashing of words.

V No, I know. Just felt that point had already been made and there was another level where it didn't make sense. V

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 2, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Blackkklansman isn’t a mishmash either. It’s a double entendre.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

It's just a completely pointless jab to say "lol but you could just exercise more" when the point is about whether people can experience improvements in their health and comfort, safely. In other contexts it would be taken as obviously stupid and offensive to criticize people for using means like that to change the shape of their bodies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's a very well-researched experiment where they gave some people pretty mild steroids and had them *not exercise at all* and they put on more muscle than the clean people who were exercising on a very effective regimen. It's not laziness that's causing this. "Well why not" is right, the issue here is that we're seeing people who built their bodies on things that most will never have (drugs, trainers, chefs), and this is being presented as a standard to aspire to. Look at any leading man before 1980, guys like Carl Weathers were the exception. Now Michael B Jordan is more jacked than he ever was, and Carl Weather was literally the most ripped guy in cinema in 1976 (Pumping Iron was released in 77)!

Just remember that Mac from Always Sunny got completely shredded and posted a series of Instagram posts about how insane it was, how stupid it was, how much it took from him and from all his support staff, and laughing at the idea that any regular person could accomplish it. And this is a guy who gained and lost 60 pounds like it was almost nothing, an extremely committed fitness dude with an iron mentality. Just don't eat too much junk, lift some weights and do something fun for cardio and let the chips fall where they may.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Developing a healthy training routine and gradually improving yourself will make your life better in a way that sitting on your rear end and cramming PEDs will not, even if the latter makes you look more muscular.

Hoop Dreams posted:

My biggest issue isn't ped use. It's the unhealthy and unrealistic body images seen in media. The vascularity and size you see in shirtless scenes are shot in tight windows and the beginning of filming because you need to dehydrate and plan your training and diet for peak performance.

Bodybuilders have to plan poo poo out in advance when they compete. They don't stay that size all the time but films create a false sense of normalcy.

Henry Cavill has mentioned he had to stop taking liquids for a while for shirtless scenes while filming. That poo poo isn't healthy.
Agreed. Teenage boys wanting their body to look like a juiced up dehydrated star at all times is not going to lead to healthy behaviour. I think it's dangerous in the same way the size 0 models trend was.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Developing a healthy training routine and gradually improving yourself will make your life better in a way that sitting on your rear end and cramming PEDs will not, even if the latter makes you look more muscular.

My only point is that discussion of PEDs and safe levels of their use doesn't need to be seen as a threat to exercise or healthy attitudes. Treating it that way and shutting down that discussion, imo, contributes to the attitude that looking and feeling how you want is some privilege to be earned rather than something we should want for all people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1399872482799067138

Speaking of peak physique

(Stolen from bss movies thread)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

well why not posted:

Jackman looks freaky in the later movies because he’s so dehydrated. Cavill, Momoa and Hemsworth look the best because they’re not drained of fluids and don’t appear to be comprised solely of tren and clen.

It seems like a matter of time before one of these actors just straight up has a heart attack. Sure, the marvel machine pays for sports doctors to stop Kumail’s organs from popping like balloons, but they’ve raised the bar so high that lesser companies are going to struggle to safely match it.

What happens when a c-tier studio tries to get a tiktok star to look like Kumail, without the Lance Armstrong doctors on speed dial?

What a bleak situation.

Someone is almost certainly going to die because of the insane body standards and "supplement" regimen that goes into training for these movies and I don't think it'll be a C-lister, just someone who happens to hit the bad luck lottery of having an undiagnosed heart or lung thing that goes completely left when they have to ramp up for the shirt-off shots.

I don't know if that will be enough for there to be a reckoning, but it's nigh inevitable at this point.

Jackman is an interesting case - he walked right up to the edge of being grotesquely Cronenberg body horror fit for The Wolverine, but as others have said he seemed to have a more tempered training regimen and sustained it in between movies just for the sheer enjoyment of it? Like dude was super ripped in Les Mis and while I understand that Valjean is supposed to be super strong I don't think Victor Hugo would've envisioned him as looking like this:

Momoa and Hemsworth are dudes who have the right height and frame to not look quite as weird when they bulk up but they seem to err on the side of being much leaner when they're not training. Cavill by all accounts is a genetic freak and also seems to have the same mindset as the WoWgoons that would spend 4 hours a day lifting right before raiding Icecrown Citadel (myself included) - it just scratches that particular mental itch of wanting to min/max something and see how far you can really push it.

MacheteZombie posted:

:stonk:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MacheteZombie posted:

Jesus Christ that things gonna fall off!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Honestly getting a little Jack Burton vibe from this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Martman posted:

My only point is that discussion of PEDs and safe levels of their use doesn't need to be seen as a threat to exercise or healthy attitudes. Treating it that way and shutting down that discussion, imo, contributes to the attitude that looking and feeling how you want is some privilege to be earned rather than something we should want for all people.

People associate those sorts of hyper-lean, hyper-muscular bodies with being fit which leads to them trying to achieve that instead of focusing on the sorts of exercise and lifestyle choices that will make them healthy in the ways that matter for people who aren’t competitive athletes. So yes, because of how we market fitness it is absolutely a threat to healthy attitudes.

If PEDs were suddenly destigmatized and readily available it wouldn’t lead to a democratization of the Marvel physique. You don’t get that sort of body without both chemical assistance AND an extreme amount of dedication and support that isn’t available for the majority of people. You need to have your diet dialed in perfectly, the free time to exercise nearly constantly, plenty of rest AND some movie magic on top of it in terms of peaking at just the right time for your scenes.

It’s not a realistic goal and simply saying “do PEDs and you too can be Hugh Jackman ripped” will lead to a shitload of people doing PEDs, not getting Hugh Jackman ripped, and doing more and more of them with worse and worse health consequences to try to attain an unattainable goal.

I’ve got a friend who got on TRT expecting that it would somehow transform his life and, unsurprisingly, two years later he’s still got depression and anxiety and hasn’t lost any of the weight he wanted but he did get to spend $200 a month for years so that’s something. What did make him feel better was getting out of his lovely marriage and meeting a nice lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Honestly getting a little Jack Burton vibe from this.

I don't know if you could get away with something like BTILC in this day and age but I could see Hemsworth pulling off the humor and tone much better than say...the Rock.