Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

There's basically no upkeep cost for armies right that aren't training or otherwise on missions? Should I be constantly recruiting from 1936?

Yes and no. As a beginner, yes. It's better to have more forces than you need as opposed to not enough. Once you play more you will get a sense for how many forces you need to accomplish a particular goal and be able to build less. The reason why you would build less is that forces need to be supplied with new equipment as it breaks (it generally only breaks if you are using it, don't worry if they are just standing around). What this means is that your industry will have a limit to how quickly it can produce new equipment and if you are using more forces than you need, it can be easy to outpace your equipment production.

One good example is the eastern front. If you are ordering massive assaults with your infantry all across the front, you will need far more production than if you were to use your infantry for defense and only attack with your tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do be careful with supply in the pre-war phase of the game. If you deploy too many troops in one place they'll exceed their supplies and their equipment will break. Look for the supply mapmode in the bottom-right of the screen to see how your supplies are.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
As a further rough outline of combat:

Morale, called Organization, is very low in this game across the board; units will break and fall back a tile as soon as they start to be at risk of taking noticeable long-term damage, then resume their previous position in a few days once they've recovered if another allied unit is still there.
Resupply in this game is very fast if all conditions are met, and your theoretical infantry div of 10,000 men that peaced out when it lost 1,000 will get 1,000 fresh recruits, 100 10-crates of rifles, and whatever incidental artillery and radios and so on well before it's in the mood to fight again.

Both of these have caveats:
A unit with no morale left will fail to effectively defend or counterattack while also taking all damage directly to HP. If you can catch a unit during its retreat and continue bullying it, it will quickly be wiped out.
Resupply restores HP quickly, and HP% multiplies the stats of the unit. Salients in poor supply situations, which typically occurs when the AI or an uncautious player crowds a front or when a bulge or pocket forms, will not heal, and their stats will quickly deteriorate alongside that, making them easy to force a push into.
You can tell how your supply's doing by opening the supply mode, the gas tank icon on the map controls. If it's not green, move troops out unless it's a small patch on a tank offensive you expect to only need a day or two; you can always retake the land, often very easily because your enemy will also have supply trouble there, but you can never get back the men who die there or the rifles they drop. If in a large alliance your allies will constantly be pushing you into yellow or even red supply with floods of poorly-designed infantry divs; this can be solved by not joining an alliance with any other majors, installing a mod like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741805475, or mitigated somewhat by making sure they have their own front to crowd by doing a small push from their territory.

Your goal is to inflict HP damage, which is permanent and only restored from manpower (a near-fixed number at the beginning of the game unless your enemy has targets for revanchism, with a collection of optional multipliers that choke out first their infrastructure production and then even their materiel production) and materiel production (theoretically renewable but takes weeks to months to catch back up) , rather than just morale damage, which is potentially infinite and recovers over a few days. Therefore, your goal is to force at least an unsupplied bulge (which lets you trade 50/50 morale and HP damage on your side for significantly higher damage on their side), and ideally a fully enveloped pocket (which quickly wipes out any forces trapped in it if they can't be rescued.)

Your method for doing this is to bring large amounts of force to bear on one or two weak points in the line, push forward a few tiles, and then connect the thrusts as quickly as possible while still making sure that your defensive units can file in and prevent any breakouts.

Your tools for doing this are, by and large:
* 10-battalion infantry divisions with engineers and support artillery, recon if you can afford it. These guys are big, beefy, hold out well against most attackers, and can be massed easily as they don't have too much of an impact on your own supply situation in reasonable numbers. They should never be committed to attacks except if the enemy is already breaking or the enemy is in a position your better attacking divisions can't effectively fight in (ie, cracking a defensive line that's mountains or forest behind a river,) they won't fight any better but they're relatively cheap to regenerate after taking a beating. Support AA or AT can be added based on their chances of encountering enemy air superiority or tanks.
* 7 infantry/2 artillery with the same support. Notably worse on the defense but better on the attack into the above, mostly useful as offensive reserves for small-scale wars or poo poo terrain. Often ignored unless a minor or fighting in China/Siberia because realistically if you can afford tanks you shouldn't be attacking with infantry anywhere that isn't already suffering a morale or supply breakdown, and even 10/0s can do that fine.
* 14 infantry/4 artillery, again same support. See above, just more concentrated and thus even more offense-angled.
* 13 infantry/4 artillery/1 heavy tank, engineer/recon/artillery/signal/logistics support. Pure engine-breaking cheese, counts as mass tanks yet mostly supplies as infantry, and will get you kicked from most MP servers. Basically don't unless you care about cheevos enough to not just use SAM but not enough to do them right, or unless you want to get the maximum effect out of a learning game by treating each campaign as an exercise and then effortlessly cleaning up any failures.
* 6 medium tank/4 motorized, engineers/logistics/one of each flavor of support artillery. Form small armies of 4-6, jam through infantry holding open fields and then circle around behind them as your 10/0s move up.
* 13 medium tank/7 motorized, same as above. For use in the same situations as above if your production and supply situations are good enough.

Each of the main type of battalion in a div can have one or two swapped out for AA/AT of the same movement speed if you're fighting a foe with a significant air or armor advantage; AA or SPAA in particular is also good into infantry and often finds a permanent home later if your production can support it.

Always be researching a doctrine upgrade. Always have this doctrine as the right side of the Superior Firepower tree unless you've got a good reason not to (Soviet and Chinese left side of Mass Assault, French or British right side of Grand Battleplan and only attacking with special forces until the Soviets have broken Germany's back, Germany I guess the right side of Mobile Warfare but your win condition is finishing off the French and Soviets before you hit the later parts of the game anyway.) If going Mass Assault, remember to fill out your units back as close to their original width as possible without going over, with either more of the main battalion type or line AA, as soon as you get the width reduction bonus.

The alternative strategy, which you'll only really encounter as the French, Spanish, or possibly Mexicans, is to commit to a long land war and let the enemy spend several years bleeding out their manpower into the bad terrain on your borders. This is basically all 10/0 infantry with AA, possibly a small response force of tanks/AT to counter enemy thrusts, and most importantly: never fortifying a tile over rank 7 or having significantly more men there than the attackers, or they'll just wait rather than continually assaulting and killing themselves.

The naval war is either won or lost depending on which alliance you slot into; mass light cruisers with AA and subs deployed in synchronization once your marines have finished their planning phase (if your side is behind in the air war) or naval bombers (if your side is ahead) can help buy enough of a window to do a landing. The air war is a massive furball of "more planes in a zone wins, and the AI will happily move its deathstack every 6 hours" that is best left to an American or British AI; if you have one of these on your side you can be more relaxed with transitioning to line AA.

World War 3 is a near-inevitability if WW2 goes historically; either alt-F4 when Berlin falls or understand that the AI will resume taking every focus it can and someone on the winning side almost always has "destroy the decadent capitalists" or "better dead than red" paths left untaken but not locked out while they focused on the Axis.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Oh, and remember to keep a reserve of 10/0 infantry (or even 5/0s if like early China you can't afford that many rifles) in a separate army set to garrison first ports and then the entire coastline if you can swing it. The AI, especially the British, American, Italian, and Japanese AIs, are avid users of naval landings, which are a free pocket to clean up if they can't settle down in a port tile but an entire separate front to defend if they can. In terms of player attention, it's usually good to overproduce these guys significantly as part an extended deployment queue, and spin up any new frontline armies by selecting an overage here and transferring in chunks of 12 or 24 to one of your main army groups.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 31, 2021

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Is 10/0 with engineers noticeably better than 10/0 without engineers? I often find myself removing the engineer support mostly because I seriously can't be hosed producing support equipment for my entire infantry army, which are factories that could be going into tanks, fighters or nice extras like CAS or naval bombers.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Expert AI mod is really good. It actually makes the Soviets and French a challenge in the main campaign if you bump the Germans up a notch or two. 40 width tank divisions hit like a truck.

I think AT companies should grant more piercing, even when I had them at the right place and time to fight the German tanks they routed too quickly to do much damage. You need so many of them to have enough piercing that you don't have much org. In the end I just ignored them and used my own tank divisions, but IRL AT guns were commonly used so I think they should have a place.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

TheMcD posted:

Is 10/0 with engineers noticeably better than 10/0 without engineers? I often find myself removing the engineer support mostly because I seriously can't be hosed producing support equipment for my entire infantry army, which are factories that could be going into tanks, fighters or nice extras like CAS or naval bombers.

Engineers give entrenchment bonuses which in a presumably defensive infantry lineup is huge.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

TheMcD posted:

It's a very cheap (120 production per div, compared to 451.5-721.5 just for the rifles, so more raw defense in a bad-terrain tile than the equivalent production worth of added riflemen WITHOUT the chance of a particular div getting hit extra-hard or taking awkward width penalties) bonus laser-focused on the things infantry do well (defending, extra bonus both attacking and defending in bad terrain) as well as later in the game what you need tanks for but they aren't optimal at (attacking in bad terrain.) Attack-over-defense is one of the main situations serious damage gets done, along with armor-over-piercing and has morale-over-routed, and even 1936 engies are good for +10% defense anywhere it can sit still for a few hours and an additional +25% defense in most bad terrain.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Rynoto posted:

Engineers give entrenchment bonuses which in a presumably defensive infantry lineup is huge.

It does give nice bonuses but bumps production costs up by ~50%. 10 width infantry divisions are there to soak up org damage until your better units arrive and 3 non-engi divisions are going to be better at that than 2 engi divisions. I guess if you are manpower restricted but have tons of industry it could be worth it, but even then I'd probably build more CAS or tanks instead.

e: My production costs were with 1936 rifles, later on they get more expensive but support equipment cost stays the same so the ratio will be more favorable towards the engineers. That said most games go beyond 1939 rifles before being effectively won or lost.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 31, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It should be 30 support equipment at 4 prod each = 120 for a 10/0, right? While rifles are 1050 at .43 = 451.5 for 1918, .5=525 for 1936, .58=609 for 1939, and .69=724.5 for 1942.

Only looking at 1936 tech on because engies are a 1936 tech themselves, wouldn't it give in 1936:
Roughly 4 divs with engi, 1,123 def in any tile attributable to engi choice/1,378 on defensive terrain vs. 5 divs without, 1,155 in tile

scaling to in 1945:
6 divs with engi, 3,260 on any tile/3,530 urban or hills/3,931 forest, jungle, or marsh/4,198 on fort or river vs. 7 divs without, 2,856

Obviously there are other sources of defense, like default entrenchment and enemy terrain penalties to attack, but even those are more effective with the higher base def from engineers. And it helps avoid the occasional bad RNG where one of your divs gets focused, wipes out early, and then you've got the worst of both worlds in the tile.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I just checked and in my game a 10/0 infantry division only uses 500 infantry equipment, maybe you have a mod running or the DLC changes it?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I just did the same, and with all mods off got 1,000 units of infantry equipment for a 10/0 in the designer (not 1,050, I mistakenly overestimated how many of the engineers get guns and then applied that number across the board--so my engineer production assumptions were 4% high and my infantry assumptions 5% high) as 1936/1/1 USSR with both all DLC and no DLC. What country are you checking with, could it be a national spirit? The starting HP damage some countries have to account for interbellum disarmament?

https://taw.github.io/hoi4/ also agrees with the 1,000 units number. Though that is, coincidentally, 500 IC worth of rifles in '36, scaling up to 690 in '42 (but 120 IC support equipment + 1% more rifles for adding engineers in any year.)

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Are you sure you're not looking at a 20 width? I tried that tool you posted (cool find btw) and it's showing 500 infantry equipment for a 10/0, that's 5 infantry battalions and nothing else.

https://taw.github.io/hoi4/#eyJtb2R...iIxMCBXaWR0aCJ9

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Ah, that's the source of the confusion, then. I've only ever seen 10/0, 7/2, etc notation used to refer to battalion count rather than width: if nothing else, you can't have 7 width worth of infantry or 2 width worth of artillery, no?

To clarify and simplify for Mr. Crow, the x/y numbers are that count, which will work out to a 10, 20, or 40 width, as currently expected by the game, division based on each battalion's width. And yes, you shouldn't give engineers to a 5/0--10 width--division in most cases, since that division only exists to prevent (by definition out of supply and about to be routed) enemy marines from walking unopposed into your ports before you can react, at which point they can land as many supplies and other troops as they want.

Very small width, 10 or under, divisions do have applications other than port garrisons for some minor countries, but minor countries are an entirely different game that often rely more on suicide attacks and microed infantry breakthroughs than standard play.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mandoric posted:

Ah, that's the source of the confusion, then. I've only ever seen 10/0, 7/2, etc notation used to refer to battalion count rather than width: if nothing else, you can't have 7 width worth of infantry or 2 width worth of artillery, no?

100% this. Never seen width notated as 10/0 and just assumed you (Octavius) meant standard 20w defense infantry

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2021

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just got into this game. Started my first game as Mao, and ended the war against Japan only holding Yanan and Gansu. But I did help Japan turn communist and ended up holding a part of Germany as a treaty concession :v:.

Then I started a new game as the USSR and my volunteers in Spain steamrolled over Franco. My trick was sending tank divisions through the Nationalist front lines to cut off their troops and leave then surrounded for the Republicans to clean up.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 1, 2021

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Mandoric posted:

To clarify and simplify for Mr. Crow, the x/y numbers are that count, which will work out to a 10, 20, or 40 width, as currently expected by the game, division based on each battalion's width. And yes, you shouldn't give engineers to a 5/0--10 width--division in most cases, since that division only exists to prevent (by definition out of supply and about to be routed) enemy marines from walking unopposed into your ports before you can react, at which point they can land as many supplies and other troops as they want.

Very small width, 10 or under, divisions do have applications other than port garrisons for some minor countries, but minor countries are an entirely different game that often rely more on suicide attacks and microed infantry breakthroughs than standard play.

Oops, I totally blanked on that, you're right.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you gain land experience in any decent way while at peace?

Doing so while training my French army just absolutely wrecks my logistics, but I do need them to get some decent templates...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
sending volunteers and/or attaches to foreign wars

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Send an attache to China and laugh at never needing to worry about army xp again

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I hope paradox improves the lend lease UI so you can see what the AI actually needs. Or even let the AI submit requests for stuff that I can approve. And a button that's just like "send all of this stockpile" for when you have some quantity of random guns you captured that you don't need and want to send all of them away

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'd like a mothball option in general, which could also then be a lend-lease autoapprove pool. Random guns honestly aren't that bad since they're auto-issued best-first, and you can see the "manufacturing for resupply" or "manufacturing for upgrade" icon pop up at the top of your production to identify when you're short on the actually good ones, but there's no way to get the thousands of useless biplanes out of your tiny wing designer UI but by clogging up your own convoys for months or burning loads of manpower on a deployment to Arizona or Kamchatka.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You can outright delete equipment in the logistics screen, if you want to get rid of your lovely old planes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mr. Crow posted:

I was just making a joke about the learning curve :saddowns:

It's been a while since I learned Stellaris but this definitely feels more difficult to get into than Stellaris or CK. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing

There's basically no upkeep cost for armies right that aren't training or otherwise on missions? Should I be constantly recruiting from 1936?

to add onto answers; yes, always be training unless you just have raw garbage to train that you'll get rid of later, but even then you can disperse them for a full refund. when the war starts/gets close you might want to consider stockpiling for losses, but until you actually take losses who cares.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

You can outright delete equipment in the logistics screen, if you want to get rid of your lovely old planes.

Huh, I'd never noticed that. Guess I haven't map-painted enough with DLC on.

And yeah, there are few reasons not to put men in uniform if you can (barring maybe French or Dutch "escape to the colonies" scenarios, where you expect a crushing loss and would rather still have that manpower untapped when you return?), provided you have a place to put them that doesn't affect frontline supply and doesn't cause attrition--which can often be harder than it sounds unless you're the US and place them in the strip across the country that sees neither cold nor heat. You can reassign their division type or delete them at any point, at which point excess manpower and equipment immediately go back into your stockpile.

That said, being able to do so above and beyond clear (including expected overseas fronts) border superiority is an indicator that you're spending way, way too much on rifles, and not enough on armor or air. Once a day of factory production is spent on approximately 2 units of rifles, it can never be reclaimed and was entirely wasted if they're never issued to combat troops; that factory-day could have been 1/14th of a Sherman instead.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Looks like the new patch added a win condition for when Ethiopia defeats Italy.

Anyone able to actually win as Ethiopia? I tried and got bombed to hell. There's no real answer to constant full-strength infantry division assaults and bombers you can't touch.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mandoric posted:

It's a very cheap (120 production per div, compared to 451.5-721.5 just for the rifles, so more raw defense in a bad-terrain tile than the equivalent production worth of added riflemen WITHOUT the chance of a particular div getting hit extra-hard or taking awkward width penalties) bonus laser-focused on the things infantry do well (defending, extra bonus both attacking and defending in bad terrain) as well as later in the game what you need tanks for but they aren't optimal at (attacking in bad terrain.) Attack-over-defense is one of the main situations serious damage gets done, along with armor-over-piercing and has morale-over-routed, and even 1936 engies are good for +10% defense anywhere it can sit still for a few hours and an additional +25% defense in most bad terrain.

Huh. I never ran the numbers, I guess I was just going with my gut and being wrong.

Actually, related to engineers and bad terrain. Something that has frequently eluded me was going for a run at the Roman Empire with Italy in Road to 56. I usually find myself going down the path that militarizes the Rome Protocols, which usually leads to the first real war being against Germany.

Is there some sort of trick to breaking Germany through Austria? I found myself enveloped in a forever stalemate where I couldn't make progress through rivers and mountains and neither could the Germans, and the Germans wouldn't declare war on anybody else, so there was no pressure relief either. I was running my usual inefficient 20w light tanks (6 ARM/4 MOT plus a bunch of supports) because I couldn't be hosed upgrading to mediums. Is that something I have to do? Do I maybe have to try paratrooper fuckery? Am I just dumb (very likely)?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gort posted:

Anyone able to actually win as Ethiopia? I tried and got bombed to hell. There's no real answer to constant full-strength infantry division assaults and bombers you can't touch.

Retreating to the mountains (there's a nice horizontal line that's all mountains with all your VPs) and hellish micro

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

TheMcD posted:

Huh. I never ran the numbers, I guess I was just going with my gut and being wrong.

Actually, related to engineers and bad terrain. Something that has frequently eluded me was going for a run at the Roman Empire with Italy in Road to 56. I usually find myself going down the path that militarizes the Rome Protocols, which usually leads to the first real war being against Germany.

Is there some sort of trick to breaking Germany through Austria? I found myself enveloped in a forever stalemate where I couldn't make progress through rivers and mountains and neither could the Germans, and the Germans wouldn't declare war on anybody else, so there was no pressure relief either. I was running my usual inefficient 20w light tanks (6 ARM/4 MOT plus a bunch of supports) because I couldn't be hosed upgrading to mediums. Is that something I have to do? Do I maybe have to try paratrooper fuckery? Am I just dumb (very likely)?

A few things you can try:

-Get massive air superiority to reduce enemy defense where you're attacking
-Try mountaineer divisions for your mountain offensives
-See if you can naval invade germany from the north

You might want to combine the air superiority with mountaineer divisions.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gort posted:

bleed the italians dry in the mountains around the capital and you might be able to push them out before ww2 proper kicks off.

or be the soviets and send two light tank divisions there and wrap the war up before the spanish civil war kicks off

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I dunno, I had literally every unit in Ethiopia engaged in defensive combat in mountains and I was losing at an 18-to-1 ratio, simply because the Italian air force would do 32 strength points of bombing damage every battle and Ethiopia's industry makes 9 rifles a day

Might be they made the air AI better since I last played, I'm sure I've won as Ethiopia before.

Give it a try, it's a fun, quick, challenge

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I think they also changed it so you couldn't just camp all your troops on your cap and then just watch as Italians killed themselves over and over.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I don't think that works even in civilian mode anymore

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think the key to that one was to not end up with only one province, have two. You get big penalties for defending only a single province ("encirclement"), and any of your divisions that retreat die. If you have two, no penalties, and any retreating divisions go to your other province, regaining organisation as they do so.

Maybe retreating onto Harar and one adjacent province and just holding those are the way forwards.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Why would you ever delete old equipment when you can feed it to your subjects to remove their autonomy?

Or for that matter lend/lease to get XP.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Sometimes I just dont want to bother with 5 biplanes or whatever that Ive captured

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Why would you ever delete old equipment when you can feed it to your subjects to remove their autonomy?

Or for that matter lend/lease to get XP.

because making airwings when you have to sort through mountains of crap planes sucks

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the planes ordered by quality first or is it something alphabetical, where some 1936 Arado shows up before a jet mig?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mans posted:

Are the planes ordered by quality first or is it something alphabetical, where some 1936 Arado shows up before a jet mig?

They're ordered by "the time their stockpile appeared in the list", I believe.

So, say you have this:

300 Fighter I
300 TAC I
300 CAS I

Then you deploy all Fighter I. Then you build 50 Fighter II that replace Fighter I in your deployment. Fighter I reappears as a stockpile, and as such is placed at the bottom:

300 TAC I
300 CAS I
50 Fighter I

Eventually, you build 350 more Fighter II. You now have replaced all Fighter I in your air wings, and have 100 Fighter II left over. The Fighter II stockpile was started after the Fighter I stockpile, so it should look like this:

300 TAC I
300 CAS I
300 Fighter I
100 Fighter II

I believe this is how it works. I might be wrong, but it represents what I've experienced in my times of "where the gently caress are my latest fighters I want to deploy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You can just deploy one random fighter and set the maximum wing size. It'll reinforce with the best stuff you have