Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not aware of a single race with "accurate" time gaps, though the Amstel Gold Race is perpetually the worst at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Time gaps are always an estimation, but jumping around by 20s or so in under a second definitely isn't on the accurate end

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Time gaps are always an estimation, but jumping around by 20s or so in under a second definitely isn't on the accurate end

I always assumed they were measured from the camera bikes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they are, when they rapidly change I assume something hosed up in whatever estimation equation they use or the camera bike is moving to cover someone else.

Getting time gaps is an inexact science but the AGR seems to be really bad at things like time gaps suddenly dropping minutes at a time, or being way way too big for what's actually on the road (I remember a theory that the AGR that VDP won was because the riders in front were getting bad time gaps reported to them)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a couple of issues that play into it:
Firstly, as one might expect, the more precise you try and make the estimations, the more they're likely to jump around erratically.
Secondly, measuring a GPS signal on a bike where the distance to the riders is constantly changing from minute to minute as they drive in front of and behind the drivers is likely to throw off measurements.
Thirdly, getting the GPS data from the bikes to the the technical village involves using the same shared medium that every other data connection from every other person near the bike race is using.
Finally, even if it was an exact science, what would that add to the sport? I'm a big fan of not knowing who's going to win before they cross the finish line and think it keeps the sport a little more interesting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I thought on the road timing was done with timing chips at checkpoints and motos stopwatching various landmarks.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kimbo305 posted:

I thought on the road timing was done with timing chips at checkpoints and motos stopwatching various landmarks.

I think every race does it slightly different.

Rolling GPS checkpoints seem like a pretty simple solution to me but I think the reality of signal in the mountains is probably the limiting issue.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lutsenko/Ion Izaguirre top 2 is not the result I expected to see

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froomes just absolute loving Garbage

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Froomes just absolute loving Garbage

I want him to Ricardo Ricco the tour so bad

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I want him to Ricardo Ricco the tour so bad

If you mean "get tested positive at the Tour and cause the organizers an enormous loss of face", I think they'd honestly just bury a positive test. Much like they did at the Vuelta where he tested positive. Popping him now would just make the Tour look even worse retroactively.

If you mean "be an exciting contender for the mountains classification", :chloe:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Smirr posted:

If you mean "get tested positive at the Tour and cause the organizers an enormous loss of face", I think they'd honestly just bury a positive test. Much like they did at the Vuelta where he tested positive. Popping him now would just make the Tour look even worse retroactively.

If you mean "be an exciting contender for the mountains classification", :chloe:

Yeah I want him to drop 10kg in 2 weeks and do 7w/kg on all the climbs, it would be v.funny.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1400138743995043843

Another exploding ineos grenade

:rip:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol thomas.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Photo finish Colbrelli vs Thomas, lol

e: helicopter cam looked like Thomas won by quite a bit

e2: half a wheel for Thomas, wow

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Did he get mugged at the end?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

He did it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Colbrelli continuing to have the most annoying week in cycling history

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Who has the most second place finishes between Cobrelli and Nizzolo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

He got hit by a car from the side. Weird accident

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

He got hit by a car from the side. Weird accident

I'd like to confirm that the car was not mine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'd like to confirm that the car was not mine.

So you did drive it, then?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'd like to confirm that I didn't drive the car.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Team Bike Exchange seen fleeing the scene

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kimbo305 posted:

So you did drive it, then?

:ssh:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
human twig beats normal looking person in pedal race

then proceeds to have sneezing fit

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think this was the aftermath of a landslide instead of the organizers routing a descent through a construction site for the sheer heck of it, but still..

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yesss, I was already unironically rooting for Valverde, and then it even looked like Hart might win :toot: Eat poo poo, Ineos

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tao looked like he was emptying himself and old man Valverde just cruised past him.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

gently caress I was about to turn on the stage and it's already over

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Smirr posted:

Yesss, I was already unironically rooting for Valverde, and then it even looked like Hart might win :toot: Eat poo poo, Ineos

Why tf would you ever root for Valverde

e: is he on the list of this threads list of cheaters oh but it's ok for him like contador?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Why tf would you ever root for Valverde

e: is he on the list of this threads list of cheaters oh but it's ok for him like contador?

No we all loving hate him.

https://twitter.com/philgaimon/status/1400860131827412995

Same

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ok good, gently caress 'em

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just hate Ineos more than I hate Valverde v:shobon:v

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i don't mind valverde.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Did this already get posted?

https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1400852159172841476

Bernal has covid.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He did have an awful lot of maskless bellends screaming in his face. I'm amazed more of them haven't got it

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

moctopus posted:

Bernal has covid.

What? That's the only thing he tested positive for?

hope he has a speedy recovery

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Better pump him full of steroids to avoid the lung damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I know there's a ton of questions about how significantly he was affected, when he actually caught it, if he was vaccinated, but it's still wild to have the news declared that you have covid right after winning a grand tour.