Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I use Enkibot every Fiesta. And I'm glad it now has support for the GBA Jobs, because I always do at least 1 #Advance run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I've done this a few times, always on my GBA copy, and I'm looking forward to trying it on SNES this year.

Is there a recommended translation/patch pack for the Super Famicom version of the game? I want it as close to launch as possible, but if there is a version that fixes egregious bugs that is fine. I'm not interested in anything trying to backport the GBA jobs to the SFC version.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am suuuuuper close to making some sorta overlay for my Fiesta run that hooks into Bizhawk and shows each character's current job. Something like this:

It might be far too much effort for just the Fiesta, but I'm curious. I'm sure Bizhawk lets you write scripts that check in-game memory, it won't be that bad!

The worst part is that I have to break these spritesheets down by hand. :gonk:

don't ask why krile's so small

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Someone's already done that. You'll just have to mirror them if you want them on the left side of your overlay.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kheldarn posted:

Someone's already done that. You'll just have to mirror them if you want them on the left side of your overlay.

No Advance jobs though. How's Pollyanna going to see who's a Necromancer?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

No Advance jobs though. How's Pollyanna going to see who's a Necromancer?

Necromancer, Cannoneer, Oracle, Gladiator.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a new run type this year?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kheldarn posted:

It's happening. :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I am suuuuuper close to making some sorta overlay for my Fiesta run that hooks into Bizhawk and shows each character's current job. Something like this:

It might be far too much effort for just the Fiesta, but I'm curious. I'm sure Bizhawk lets you write scripts that check in-game memory, it won't be that bad!

don't ask why krile's so small

do not post small krile

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I love FFV,but I never got terribly deep into it’s mechanics or anything. Is it worth reading up on Fiesta-adjacent material to get a better handle on what I can do, or should I just wing it?

Others have given advice but here's how I became overly knowledgeable of this game:
Joined the discord
Saw others questions answered and asked my own questions
Delved into the info as needed per run

Samuel Clemens posted:

Berserkers are also bugged and always go last in the first round, regardless of their Agility stat, which imo is one of their most annoying traits. That's one of the things the Matrix version fixed though, I believe.

Not only did Matrix fix this, berserk essentially speeds up how fast you attack even compared to auto battle (and bosses too, ouch). It's like a mini haste.
Sidenote: between that and the actual haste, Ive never beaten Zerked Omega. Id rather deal with his normal bullshit.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Zerilan posted:

Thinking of either job fairing Blue mage in a real early run if I don't get or doing a pre-fiesta run this week with Blu juest because I've been wanting for awhile to do a run where every boss is fought using the most obnoxious Blue Magic strat possible, but by the time I rolled Blu last year I was pretty burnt on doing more Fiesta.

I did a document last year on how easy it is to instantly kill bosses with Blue Mage.
https://pastebin.com/aw4idFbk
Basically the world is your oyster post Byblos until you beat W2, and then welp

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I played the Fiesta for the first time last year, and I was stunned at just how unfair Blue Mage felt. I expected unusual spells that were more effective than their conventional alternatives. I did not expect to just instantly beat every W2 boss.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kheldarn posted:

Sounds like another thing to add to that FFV GBA Multi Patcher!

I will *absolutely* add a bugfix compilation…as long as it doesn't break the bugs people actually like, that is.

e: such a thing does not currently exist and I don't do ASM hacking, so unfortunately I won't be doing the bugfixes myself.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 2, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

nrook posted:

I played the Fiesta for the first time last year, and I was stunned at just how unfair Blue Mage felt. I expected unusual spells that were more effective than their conventional alternatives. I did not expect to just instantly beat every W2 boss.

FFV comes from that magical time when selling strategy guides was still a viable business venture, which meant developers had a big incentive to make incredibly powerful classes with very obscure mechanics. Gau from FFVI is another fun example.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

do not post small krile
Try and stop me old man!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish !Blue included Learning so that you didn't have to actually use blue mage as a class and the likes.

I've kinda got my party to a better level now (this is my first time playing). I'm up to the last town in world 1 and currently running:

Lvl 1 Ranger with level 6 Spellblade
LVL 3 BLACK Mage with Learning
Level 1 bard with level 3 White
Level 4 ninja with Animal because I didn't plan this out good.

I'd like to fit Blue magic in somewheres so I can actually use the magic in learning, or do something with that ninja. Spellblade seems kinda lame also, mostly due to never really needing to use it.

Don't really have a plan long term except I'll probably run the Ranger/Spellblade/Ninja gimmick thing for the first character. No idea what to do with the rest in terms of being OP.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, can we make a petition or something to start the Fiesta at the same time as The Run?

I love watching The Run but waiting 8-12 hours to start getting my jobs is torture every year.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

So, can we make a petition or something to start the Fiesta at the same time as The Run?

I love watching The Run but waiting 8-12 hours to start getting my jobs is torture every year.

The real fiesta is watching 8-12 hours of The Run, and then realizing/remembering that Gilgabot is manually controlled & it's like 3am local Gilgatime so you have several more hours to wait

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oldskool posted:

then realizing/remembering that Gilgabot is manually controlled
I'm sorry, it's what

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

girl dick energy posted:

I'm sorry, it's what

Turning it on and off is manually controlled, he's not sitting there sending people their jobs 24/7

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

girl dick energy posted:

I'm sorry, it's what

Yeah, RK has to go in and trigger the initial release of jobs and officially turn Fiesta "on".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, okay, thank gently caress.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Job Fair, however, is 100% manual. (Obviously only an issue player-side if you asked for a random reroll rather than something specific.)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

Turning it on and off is manually controlled, he's not sitting there sending people their jobs 24/7

Lies. I am 100% sure that Gilgamesh (and sometimes his friend Enkidu) are manually sending out every job assignment.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

yeah, whoops. the fiesta start is manually triggered, as is #VEX/VOM/VSH image processes, but the job tweets are automated

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nasgate posted:

As someone that has gotten every achievement on Mobile and am grinding for it now for Steam, in addition to all of my fiesta runs being matrix, I have a couple things to add.

(BRK) Berserk effect you mentioned acts even faster than putting auto on, resulting in slightly faster attack spamming, which can be useful if you're insane and braving like I enjoy
Also, I can confirm that Berserk just flat out doesn't stop reactions anymore.

(CHM) This doesn't effect much gameplay if you're not doing solo chemist. However, it does of course mean your only source of damage on Omega might be Dark Flare. You'll need roughly 68 dark matters for this iirc

(Weapon) Double Lance still counts as a lance for Jump damage, so with the combined double attack and double damage, it roughly equates to the same total damage as a chicken knife. Tho less DPS because of jump timing.

(spells) I don't know if it also works this way in the original versions or not, but Quick and song work amazing together. Stats continue to increase and regen continues to tick during the quick pause

(RUG) An important note; The Lamp does not trigger Reset on Matrix. This means you usually only need one or two silence procs to get him within kill range if you're no750, let alone get him into range to kill himself. That said, Chocobo does cause a Reset reaction.

Also a fun note: While Meteo and XFight no longer attack NED or Sandworms dummy targets, they do target Enuos still. Haven't checked on Mega Shin because experimenting in that fight suuuuuuucks.

I updated my original post finally. I also made good on this toxx:

Ace Transmuter posted:

I was additionally planning to throw in a bonus $10 :toxx: if any goon found something new to add to my not-fully-definitive version difference list, but considering Nasgate just casually dropped several new things I never knew about, I'll be donating that $10 in their name.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What was the longest time the Run ever took? I feel like the last couple haven't been too bad.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's usually like 10hours if it's a rough comp or real bad luck, 8ish normally. Last year might have been a long one but they changed the job choices to basically top 4 jobs instead of just top per crystal to avoid a much slower comp. (The Run was Monk/Geo/Dnc/Sam when under normal rules it would have been Monk/Red/Geo/Dnc)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Right now looks like they're getting Black Mage, Blue Mage, and Bard. Barring any last minute surprises, it'll be pretty smooth.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah that's a pretty beast comp. Lot of raw power on top the Blu shenanigans and the bard can even boost the zerker's damage (plus giving the zerker !black for stronger Rune axe is totally an option)

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Let The Run be played with fast forward

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Right now looks like they're getting Black Mage, Blue Mage, and Bard. Barring any last minute surprises, it'll be pretty smooth.

Dragondarch still has the chance to put on his clown hat.

And go for three days straight without sleep prior to the run :negative:

For as much as we make a running joke out of his antics, it was genuinely heartbreaking to see him lose his mind 85% of the way through and spend nearly an hour searching for a Dragon Fang that he'd already looted and used. :(

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

So I finally came up with an idea for a :toxx:

I want new people to suffer for whenever I decide to make "art"

So I want you guys to encourage someone to play. Heck, even just get them to pre-register so that I can water the tree first.

1 buck per player who shows me a clean player page with 0's all the way down. Let's say a limit of 50. (as of 6-2, 7/50 takers)

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

e: Not limiting this to SA, so if you know anyone who just does twitter or whatever I'll honor them there as well. https://twitter.com/feyerbrandx/status/1399183494874648582
This will be my first year playing the FJF

And i hope to beat NED

edit: I was wondering something. I haven't played FF5 in a really long time (like, since ZSNES times) so i don't know if this would even be necessary. But is it acceptable to find out all 4 of your crystal jobs from Gilgabot right at the start so I can start planning out my party build, or is that cheating? I am playing just normal #reg

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 4, 2021

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

edit: I was wondering something. I haven't played FF5 in a really long time (like, since ZSNES times) so i don't know if this would even be necessary. But is it acceptable to find out all 4 of your crystal jobs from Gilgabot right at the start so I can start planning out my party build, or is that cheating? I am playing just normal #reg

Yeah that's totally fine, happens all the time. Did it myself a few years ago when I was just starting a run but knew I was going to be offline for a while. Also welcome to the Fiesta!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Welcome to the Fiesta! Join the Discord, we're always happy to have new blood people to talk with.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think this year I'm gonna do a No 750 run; I've gotten Blue mage the past 3 runs I've done and as much fun as it is breaking World 2 over my knee, it might also be nice to see what the other classes can actually do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I refuse to do this, but I've also completed so many runs with so many team compositions that I think I understand FF5 more intensely than I understand myself.

That said no one here will judge you for it, because we ain't no fiesta cops.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I do, but honestly I don't think it's ever changed my gameplay at all. It just tells me immediately if it is a triple crown or not

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There are some niche situations where knowing your classes in advance can impact your gameplay (e.g. if you know you'll get a Dancer and already have a Thief, it makes sense to try and steal a Lamia's Tiara in Ronka Ruins), but those are very rare. Unlocking everything at the beginning is less about gaining an advantage and more about satisfying your curiosity or going faster since you don't have to stop playing to visit Twitter.

I think it's kind of nice to experience that tingle of anticipation at every crystal ("Will I get Berserker or Summoner?"), but that's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I prefer the mystery but there's not too many cases where it matters and I tend to grab all the early "just in case" stuff anyway (like killing liquid flame on the right form for the bow).

No shame in doing it but on #reg you'll probably be fine anyway. Could see how on #chaos it could be useful to know early if you're going to have to deal with some terrible nonsense like turtle with only bard or something that's really going to need to grind for byblos.

Also means for a resource like Enkibot you can just shove in only the needed jobs from the start and not be overwhelmed by extra info.