Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cube opens with Julian Richings being literally diced. How the heck did you think it wasn't a horror movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jedit posted:

Cube opens with Julian Richings being literally diced. How the heck did you think it wasn't a horror movie?

That is a good point and the only counter point I can give is that I am not a smart man.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How much longer is the thread staying open? I got a backlog that needs catching up...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've unstickied it but i'll leave it open a few days

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm only slightly behind in reporting but not that far behind. All I got left is the shorts!

Fran Challenge #1: Short Cuts
I’m going to use this to crank out some longer shorts that have been on my ‘to watch’ list for a while.
The Signalman (1976)
38m
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_4VHxdXng
A man on vacation runs across a train signalman, and hears his spooky story.
Based on a Charles Dickens story, this is just a simple, foggy, ghost story. I liked it.
3.5/5

Un Chien Andalou
16m
On Tubi https://tubitv.com/movies/574791
Yeah you try and summarize this one. It’s like watching a series of unsettling dreams.
A good dose of surreality.
4/5

Interestingly (or, perhaps, not) Letterboxd lists it as 21 minutes, but the version on Tubi is 16. Nothing seems to be missing, so, maybe, credits?

Foxes (2012)
16m
On Amazon Prime
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00HN1JNNE/
After a recent move to the suburbs, a couple deal with the stress and some local foxes.
It’s pretty simple and short, and I liked the look of endless suburbia.
4/5

With that, my May is over, here's the full list.

1. 3615 code Père Noël AKA Dial Code Santa Claus AKA Game Over
2. Tammy and the T-Rex
3. M.F.A.
4. Castle Freak (2020)
5. The Witch Who Came From the Sea
6. Witchboard
7. Student Bodies (1981)
8. Tigers Are Not Afraid
9. Saint Maud
10. In Search of Darkness 2
11. Serial Mom
12. Cheerleader Camp
13. The Carrier (1988)
14. Godzilla (1954)
15. Paganini Horror (1989)
16. Tales From the Dark 1 (2013)
17. King Kong (1933)
18. Army of the Dead
19. Tales From the Dark 2

Nineteen movies all new to me, and the challenges complete. Fun times!

I unequivocally recommend Serial Mom, Tammy and the T-Rex, and Tigers are Not Afraid, but there were some other fun ones in there too.
Please avoid Student Bodies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
11. Nightmare Detective

Nightmare Detective is a stupid movie with the veneer of a smart one, attempting to deal with complex themes but absolutely not doing it properly. I’m not going to give it points for being a high concept – failed execution movie, because it really doesn’t try at all. It’s all stupid from the start, everyone acts as stupid as needed to move the plot to where it needs to go, and boy does it need some stupid stuff. Then some empty gesturing at pretty imagery. It felt insulting to be shown these pictures in this movie. Did not vote for this in Bracketology

12. Child’s Play 3
The stupid voodoo doll tricked me into watching a slasher movie! I’m making my way through these movies to get to my wife Jennifer Tily, and she is not in this one. Instead it’s a very trite 90s slasher that does ultimately have the balls to kill a bunch actors that genuinely look like/are children. It seems to be a common theme that the start and ending of Chucky films are good – the initial assembly/disassembly over the credits area joy, and the finale takes place in a spookhouse – fog, artificial spooky trees, giant foam skulls, it’s such a nice departure from the bland everything before that. Just set more movies in spookhouse if you’re a coward, or make ridiculous sets and pretend they’re real. This is my takeaway.

13. Deadbeat at Dawn
You know when you’re watching a movie alone, and the movie slaps so much you want to constantly tell your friends about it, send them gifs and encourage them to watch it too? I told three different groups of horror friends about this movie and there’s a couple more that must know it. You must know about it! It’s a magical experience that you get from very very few movies. It’s a tired comparison, but it’s what you get when you mix Psychomania with perhaps Miami Connection or the Room – it’s competently made on a technical level, it’s also made with love, and it’s also an absolutely absurd, ridiculous riot of nunckucks, graveyards, Ouija boards, people getting stabbed 10,000 times. Definitely the best discovery I’ve made in this tournament.

14. Psycho Goreman
This is the opposite of Turbo Kid (the true enemy of horror). A low budget high effort horror comedy that is not ashamed of what it is, that doesn’t debase itself to invite the audience to laugh at it, a movie with genuinely funny jokes, amazing costumes and, I repeat myself, made with love. It’s not perfect – even though the runtime is less than 90 minutes (I think), it does feel like it stretches a bit too long. The main child character, well, is perhaps quite unlikeable.

Phew, barely made it!

Previously Watched:
1. Child's Play 2, 2. Varan, 3. The Roost, 4. D@bbe, 5. Mark of the Vampire, 6. Queen of Black Magic (1981), 7. Dario Argento's Phantom of the Opera, 8. Bliss, 9. Horrors of Malformed Men, 10 Sightseers

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

married but discreet posted:

13. Deadbeat at Dawn
You know when you’re watching a movie alone, and the movie slaps so much you want to constantly tell your friends about it, send them gifs and encourage them to watch it too? I told three different groups of horror friends about this movie and there’s a couple more that must know it. You must know about it! It’s a magical experience that you get from very very few movies. It’s a tired comparison, but it’s what you get when you mix Psychomania with perhaps Miami Connection or the Room – it’s competently made on a technical level, it’s also made with love, and it’s also an absolutely absurd, ridiculous riot of nunckucks, graveyards, Ouija boards, people getting stabbed 10,000 times. Definitely the best discovery I’ve made in this tournament.

Yes! I discovered this during the last October challenge (I think based on another user's recommendation) and I felt the exact same way. I was posting about it all over Facebook and probably here in CineD, desperately trying to get everyone on the planet to watch it. It's just that kind of movie.

The level of passion and commitment that went into it reminds of Peter Jackson's Bad Taste.