Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Cobalt-60 posted:

A
Are these the only people on board, or just the most relevant?

Just the most reliveant at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 6 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +1
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Coventant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
To end the dispute over the ownership of the tomb. (0/10) (Dangerous)

Legacies Quests = 0/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10

“Let us begin with some questions. I need to get a better idea of what I’m dealing with.” Junn starts. “Mrs Pavlov. Let’s start with you. Do you have somewhere private we can talk?” She nods and leads them to an office. She settles behind a desk and points them to a metal chair welded to the floor in front of it. Junn sits and brings up his data pad, then starts asking the background questions people would expect. This tends to put them at ease, meanwhile he pushes out his feelings.

Empath roll + Heart.
Action Die = 3+2 (4). Challenge Dice = 8,2
Weak Hit- +1 momentum.

The woman is hard to read, she is one of those people who keep their personal thoughts hidden even from themselves, he gets a few hints, so begins the main questioning.
“So, What can you tell me about the contract you signed?”

Gather Information + Wits
Action Die = 3+3 (6). Challenge Dice = 4,7
Weak hit – New insight, but complicates the quest. + Momentum
Complication – Needed item or resource is not available.

“That’s kind of the problem, there is no written contract. We did not see the need for one.” Kasia replies, the closest he has seen to sheepish.
“Oh, so there was an iron vow instead?”

Okay, it seems likey there was an iron vow made, but lets check – 26 or more – 56 – is she going to be honest about it? Also likely – 10 – Oooh.

“It was a simple arrangement, we did not see the need for one.” Junns eyes narrow and his thoughts push out.

Lying to an empath eh? Let see how that goes –
Action Die = 4+2 (7). Challenge Dice = 1,3
Strong hit - +2 momentum and +1 to use it.
Lets call her on it. Secure and advantage, with expertise, focus, or observation: Roll +wits
Action Die = 6+4 (10). Challenge Dice = 4,4
Strong hit, with double meaning something good happens for us. I’m going to take that as making progress! Tick two boxes!

“Something as important as this without an Iron Vow? Do you take me for some form of simpleton Mrs Pavlov? There is no way anyone would agree to anything like this without a vow. What was the exact wording?” Kasia sighs.
“I vowed to help her search for this place and to share in the rewards.” Then she interjects. “Which I plan on doing, but I don’t see why I should let her risk those rewards on something as risky as charging in without spending some time researching!”
The interview gleans nothing more of use, and Junn move on to Erin. The woman in one of the workshops tuning her leg. She looks up as Junn enters.
“Sorry, These things are always going out of alignment. But I guess you want to question me next?”
“Of course Ms Shepard.” And Junn once again launches into his preliminary questions.

Empath is such a useful skill - roll + Heart.
Action Die = 5+2 (7). Challenge Dice = 9,7
Miss! Welp, time to pay the price!
Reveal revenge Spirit
Well…. That’s interesting. You know, I was going to do all three interviews as part of this update, but this is to weird and interesting not to put to the vote. This is a universe where the dead rise regularly, so is she
A – Getting revenge
on a spirit?
B – Getting revenge
for a spirit?
C – Getting revenge
using[i] a spirit?

Really, is she planning on using the tomb to help with her revenge, is she in contact with the long dead precursor and trying to exact its millennia old death wise?
Does she have an enemy/friend walking around out there?
Let me know how you think this should play out –there are too many interesting ways for me to choose on my own!

quote:

Health = 6 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +3

Current Vows
To end the dispute over the ownership of the tomb. (2/10) (Dangerous)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
She's obviously been possessed by a precursor ghost and/or alien technospiritual mindcontrol bullshit.

We should team up with the dead alien in exchange for riches.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
C
What mysterious dreams have drawn her out here...what voices murmur at the edge of her consciousness, waiting to be awoken...how screwed will everyone be if she DOES succeed...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Current Vows

Erins’s thoughts hit like a freighter.
There is a conflicting mess, images of war – She’s a veteran, a fighter for the Alliance of Free worlds – fighting the Republic of Humanity. The war had been raging for ten years now and the fighting had devastated many lives – Erins one of them.
There are images of friends being killed, Garrison troops facing off against incoming Legion troops – Her fellow soldiers cut down one by one until she is left, crippled and maimed.
Then the voice starts, it’s distinctly not human. Mentally it’s like fingernails down a chalk board, Erin tries to block it out, but then it speaks clearly.
“I can promise you revenge. Free me, and I will end this pointless war.”
Even now Junn can feel the voice at the edge of her mind constantly whispering to her, urging her on, promising her what she wants.
Junn is surprised she looks as sane as she does. But he needs to know more, so he probes the thing.

Gather information- + Wits – We need to know more about the thing in her mind!
Action Die = 6+3 (9). Challenge Dice = 5,1
Weak hit- gain insight, but complicate quest. +1 momentum!
Undermined by self doubt or vulnerabilities.

Junn gets a reading on it, it is an ancient intelligence, unlike any human he has ever read, but it has the same drives, emotions as a person – mostly. But it’s trapped, sealed inside its own tomb, awake and trapped for hundreds of years screaming into the void until one person heard it.
It was a traveller – a scout, a courier. Trying to cure….. something. Always alone space. Then trapped and alone in death.
But as he looks into the abyss, the Abyss looks into him, and the rending voice speaks to them.
“You seek to know me, but you don’t even understand yourself. You think you can stop this war without me.” Images of the horrors of war Jun has seen spill into their mind. “You want the same thing this one does – to end the war? Why not help her, and together you can bring peace to the forge?”

My god, it’s trying to play on our vow to end the war to convert us to its side – we need to face danger or go into a much more costly mind war! This is empathy, so +heart I think!
Action Die = 1+2 (3). Challenge Dice = 5,1
Weak hit – we break the link, but take the hit – Endure stress I think, at 2 points of spirit damage! +Spirit thank fully!
Action Die = 5+4 (9). Challenge Dice = 1,8
Strong hit, as we’re at 4/6 spirit, I’ll embrace the darkness and take +1 spirit

The thing tries to play with Junn’s mind, but it’s overconfident. Junn thinks of calmer times and closes off. Suddenly he’s back in the room shaken by his experience, with Erin smiling at him.

I think we can mark progress for that! We now know we really don’t want Erin to get into that thing.
But how do we react now? We seem to have uncovered somethings attempt to be freed from a tomb. But how do we react.

A- Try and kill Erin – here and now.
B- Try and get the crew of the Pavlov to help subdue her.
C- Try and get the crew of the Pavlov to help destroy the artefact.
D- Try and take the ship, then destroy the artefact!

quote:

Health = 6 Spirit = 5 Supply = 4 Momentum = +4

Current Vows
To end the dispute over the ownership of the tomb. (4/10) (Dangerous)

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
B

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B, we can’t allow anyone to release the spirit without knowing exactly what it’s going to do. End the war by exterminating one side? By exterminating both sides?

Erin is under a potentially dangerous mental compulsion, so restraining her is legally justified until the compulsion can be broken. Matters will be more complicated if she remains in this state and is awarded any share of ownership of the tomb, we may need to establish a conservatorship or legal trust.

And what would the law say about the spirit itself? Does the law even account for the possibility of such an entity? It seems unlikely that a spirit could be recognized as an owner or inhabitant of the tomb, perhaps it would need to be categorized as a hazard like radiation or an anomaly.

quote:

Action Die = 6+3 (9). Challenge Dice = 5,1
Weak hit- gain insight, but complicate quest. +1 momentum!
Undermined by self doubt or vulnerabilities.
How was this a weak hit? It looks like the action roll is higher than both challenge rolls.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E, offer to partner. Friends close and enemies closer. Anyway we don't really know what this thing has to offer. It was trying to cure something anyway. There's a good chance it was trying to 'cure' humanity or something but let's let it play out for a bit first.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

As much as I love just ending her right now, she's a veteran and we're a lawyer, probably not the best idea.

B

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

HBar posted:

How was this a weak hit? It looks like the action roll is higher than both challenge rolls.

Typo! it was a 10 not a 1.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
B
Adventurer's Law #72: Before you go unsealing any ancient structures, FIND OUT WHY THEY WERE SEALED.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Current Vows

Junn tries to maintain their composure. They continues to ask their questions and she continues to answer, but in their head their mind is racing. They can’t allow this woman to free a precursor – the normal human corpses are enough trouble – what the hell would an unknowable alien intelligence be able to do.
The thing is, they are not sure they can take her on their own. So they finish the interview like nothing has happened. They thank her and announce they are going to ask the next person their questions.

As soon as the door slides shut behind them, they race to the common room, where the Pavlov’s are waiting. They all look up as they burst into the room.
“That woman is under the control of whatever is buried out there!” They blurt out. “We have to stop her – she wants to free it!”
“What are you talking about?” Asks Kasia.
“I’m an empath.” Junn admits. “I was reading her and connected with the…. thing out there! It tried to recruit me as it’s recruited her! We have to secure her so we can find out more – as it is, she’s a danger to this ship and even the whole forge!”

This will be an compel + Heart! None of our abilities help here.

Action Die = 3+2 (5). Challenge Dice = 6,1
Weak hit. They help, but with a demand or complication.
They obvious demand is we don’t give her the tomb, but we’re not doing that – so I’m going to run with a complication. It seems obvious as well that the Thing in the Tomb knows we are not going to help it, and would tell Erin……

“Okay, We’ll lock her down and see if we can get to the bottom of this!” Kasia says, as they stand an alarm sounds. “Dammit! Someone is trying to access the shuttle!”
“She’s making a break for it!” Anis shouts, and everyone begins tearing through the ship. To reach the shuttle bay.

Time to secure and advantage with speed - +Edge. Welp.
Action Die = 5+1 (6). Challenge Dice = 5,3
Strong hit! +2 momentum and +1 to next roll.

They make it to the bay – the outer doors are open, and Anis has a drone out hacking the shuttle doors. She turns as you all enter and snarls.
“You could have helped! But it seems I will have to do this alone!” she draws a pistol and all hell breaks loose – Junn goes for his side arm – thankfully the Barr sees the wisdom in having their agents be able to defend themselves - and time slows as the crew of the Pavlov goes for their weapon.

I’m going to call her a troublesome foe – she’s a vet, but she’s also outnumbered 5-1. She’s going to be trying to escape though!
Enter the fray! + Edge as we’re on the move.
Action Die = 2+2 (4). Challenge Dice = 9,9
Miss! We are in a bad spot and must react under fire! + Edge as we try and tackle her!
Action Die = 3+1 (4). Challenge Dice = 2,2
Strong hit and a match!

Junn dives forwards. Erins gun comes up and fires but the shot goes wide. Rolls and looks up to see Kasia has slammed the button to seal the shuttle bay doors – which are now grinding slowly closed.
Jun roars and throws themselves at the so called prophet trying to get in under her pistol.

Strike! + Iron.
Action Die = 4+1 (5). Challenge Dice = 9,10
Miss! – Endure harm. We take -1 heath then roll +health
Action Die = 6+5 (11). Challenge Dice = 10,4
Strong hit! +1 momentum.

Erins gun barks as they do, and they feel an impact on their shoulder, they fails to hit as she dances back, then she moves in to pistol whip them.

Clash +Iron as we’re in close/
Action Die = 4+1 (5). Challenge Dice = 10,1
Weak hit. Mark progress, but pay the price and stay in a bad spot.
Progress 3/10.
Endure harm. We take -1 heath then roll +health
Action Die = 3+4 (6). Challenge Dice = 4,8
Carry on.

The blow lands, and stars explode into Junn’s vision, but their buying time, they can see the doors closing and the rest of the crew are closing in – Erin raises her foot to stomp on them and they try to sweep her leg.

Clash +Iron again!
Action Die = 1+1 (2). Challenge Dice = 9,8
Owch! Enduring harm once more!
Action Die = 3+3 (6). Challenge Dice = 2,8
Weak hit.

The foot slams down on them and they hears her shout “Stay! Down!”
Just buy time!
“The bot got the door open!” They shout, trying to distract her away from the closing crew…..

Right so Junn can’t win this fight in brawn, so lets try react under fire +wits!
Action Die = 5+3 (8). Challenge Dice = 1,4
She takes the bait! Strong hit! We’re back in control and +1 momentum!

It works! She looks up at the door of the shuttle, and confusion crosses her face as she see the bot still working on the door. Junn takes this momentary distraction to aim a kick at her groin!

Strike + Iron!
Action Die = 6+1 (7). Challenge Dice = 8,6
A weak hit - Mark progress (6/10) and Pay the price - -1 momentum – we’re in a bad spot. Again.

The Blow is turned, but still slams into Erin’s leg, she crumples, but comes down on top of Junn punching away! Junn beings to puch back wildy. The crew are now waiting for an opperunity to leap in, so they try to roll on top of her and pin Erin to the ground.

Clash +Iron!
Action Die = 6+1 (7). Challenge Dice = 4,6
Strong hit! Mark progress twice – 10/10 – End the fight time!
Progress =10 Challenge Dice = 3,7
Strong hit! The fight is over.

They mange gets on top of Erin and the rest of the crew up in, when stronger hands have her, Junn slides away to the side. Anis leans over them as they are lying on the floor, and they hear them selves say.
“And that is why I became a lawyer.”

Erin is quickly secured and locked away in a makeshift cell – an empty cargo container with no handle on the inside. Then the crew meet up to decide what to do next.

[i]We mark progress on the vow to sort out the ownership of the tomb – I’m going to mark progress twice as I’m fairly sure we’re not giving it to the mad woman. We still have a way to go on that as we are only at 4/10 – We still have to decide which of the crew gets to make the descision.
We’re bit shot up as well – 3/6 health, we need a quick heal. +wits
Action Die = 5+3 (8). Challenge Dice = 10,8
Goddammit, pay the price - -2 momentum as they stop the bleeding, but we still ache.

But now we have a harder choice – what to do about the tomb – it’s obvious it’s dangerous, as is Erin.

1 - Do we

A – Continue to try and negotiate the ownership as before.
B – Try and convince the crew that the ship is better off belonging to no one. (out vow was just to end the dispute)
C – Interrogate Erin to learn more about the Thing in the Tomb.

2 - Should Junn swear a vow to destroy the tomb?
A – No, we’re just a humble space lawyer.
B – Yes – this is an Extreeme vow
C – Yes – This is an Epic vow

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +4

Current Vows
To end the dispute over the ownership of the tomb. (3/10) (Dangerous)

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
1A - Still have the rights of the find to secure either way. Also will need to check precursor salvage laws, are there authorities such finds are usually reported to? Etc. This is bigger than we thought, and it is probably pissed at us.

2A - Not yet.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. B, this tomb is an extreme hazard and there are no known protocols to handle it safely. It would be criminally negligent to allow anyone to interact with it closely. Use our claim to the mineral-rich asteroid as a bargaining chip if needed.

2. This is something to discuss with the crew. With their approval, it’s Yes/Extreme Vow. If we simply report the tomb to the authorities, there’s a strong risk they’ll try to use it as a superweapon.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
1 B, for Bad News
2 A Perhaps more should be done than leaving it alone, with a "WARNING: Psychic alien inside. DO NOT TOUCH," but what weapons/tools do we have at our disposal? IF the crew could be convinced...but just getting them to leave is going to be hard, even after the shootings.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

If the tomb obeys the known laws of inertia, my first thought is to rig some kind of remote tug to push it into a star. Even if that doesn’t destroy it, it should at least become inaccessible for a few billion years.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why the hell are we not trying to partner with a powerful psychic alien?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Outrail posted:

Why the hell are we not trying to partner with a powerful psychic alien?

We're getting rid of the competition first?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Toughy posted:

We're getting rid of the competition first?

:hmmyes:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +4

Current Vows
To end the dispute over the ownership of the tomb. (3/10) (Dangerous)

In the aftermath, Junn tracks down Kaisa, she is in her office. She looks up as Junn enters.
“Come to talk about what just happened? Her reaction shows your at least not completely lying. But what do we do now?”
“Well. I have an iron vow to complete. And I think you can agree that if I’m right, we can’t risk anyone having access to that thing – if we open it and let that thing out – even by accident, then who knows how much damage it could do?” They reply.
“So what do you suggest – we leave it out here, ownerless? We put a fair amount of cash into finding it, and we were hoping to get our money back. We’re not rich enough to be letting cash go.”
“It’s that or we risk all of humanity. If cash is that much of an issue there is that platinum asteroid Anis and I found. I’d be happy to wave my finders fee as services paid.”

Compel +Heart
Action die = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice – 8,1
Weak hit. They agree, but make a demand.

“Okay. But I want you to swear a vow that you’ll get us full mining rights!” Junn nods and brings out their seal.
“Agreed, I Junn of the Barr, do hereby swear an iron vow to get you full mining rights to that asteroid.”

This will only be troublesome – this is Junns bread and butter after all. Marking progress on the main oath for getting her onside.
Swear a vow + Heart +2 for both Bannersworn and Diplomat.
Action die = 5+4 (9), Challenge Dice – 3,4
Strong hit. The way is clear +2 Momentum.

Kaisa nods and says “Okay then, I’ll accept hushing this up – the asteroid is a mode reliable source of income – though you still need to convince Alexis.
“He’s my next stop.” Jun replies.

Alexis is in his room. He doesn’t seem surprised to see Junn.
“Come to talk me out of pressing my claim have you? I still thing we’re safer with someone bigger knowing about this – and paying us for the privilege.” He says.
“I disagree – the less people who know about this the better. I’ve already spoken to Mrs Pavlov, and she’s agreed to wave this in favour of me securing full mining rights to the asteroid Anis and I discovered.”

Compel +Heart
Action die = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice – 5,6
Weak hit. They agree, but make a demand. Hmm, what could he want – Oracles gives me = Hide Life forsaken.

“Okay, but you have to do something for me. I need to make someone disappear… I have an…. Associate on Waypoint who is in a lot of trouble, and she needs to get off station before the people who are looking for her find her.”
“What trouble is she in?

Bond, High tech

“She has some corp tech in her skull they want out. She’s afraid that when they take it out, they won’t be to careful. I’ll agree to hush this up if you promise to get her somewhere safe.
“I agree. I swear and iron vow to get this person to safety.”

So it’s one of those times is it, we must promise to complete some side quests to progress the main quest. This sounds dangerous.
Swear a vow + Heart +2 for both Bannersworn and Diplomat.
Action die = 6+4 (10), Challenge Dice – 3,1
Strong hit. The way is clear and +2 Momentum.

“Okay. Her name is Raven Jin. She can be found at this address – a mutual friend is looking out for her. Get her out fast!”
“I will, I vow.” Junn Replies. “Shall we convene in the mess room?” He asks. Alexis nods and follows.
The crew assembles and Junn addresses them
“I’ve spoken to the command crew, and we have decided that we will not be pressing the claim for this place, as it is too dangerous; however, I will be securing you a mining oppertunity that should make you rich.” This clams the uproar that started with the first half of the sentence.
“It is imperative” Junn continues, “That no one speak of this place. If there is a maligne spirit in there, we don’t want anyone else waking it. Agreed.” Nods from the room.
“Okay, we have one last desicision – what do we do with Erin?”

[i]So, while we are only at 5/10 progress in this, we’re also at +8 momentum, so I’m going to give a shot at clearing it.
Action die = 5, Challenge Dice – 4,10
Weak hit! There is still something to be done – swear a new vow or take half progress to our quests track.
So we have some choices

1 - Do we swear an iron vow to finish what we started here?
A – No! Leave well enough alone.
B – Yes! Swear a vow to destroy it.
C – Yes ! Swear a vow to free it. (Some people seem to want this.)
D – Yes – Another vow.

2 - What do we do with Erin?
A – Kill her.
B – Question her more, then leave her here
C – Question her more, then take her to Waypoint for imprisonment
D – Leave her here
E - Take her to waypoint for imprisonment.

3 – Finally, what is our next goal.
A – Continue to investigate the tomb.
B – Return to waypoint and do our two vows. (Raven first)
C – Return to waypoint and do our two vows. (Claim first)
D – Something else.

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +8

Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (0/10) (Dangerous)
To secure full mining rights to the asteroid (0/10) (Troublesome)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
1 B Someone's going to find this thing again, especially now that people know of it.
2 C If we can't destroy the tomb, we'd need to silence her; as is, maybe we can get some useful info before putting her somewhere safe
3 C The claim seems a lot simpler and more legal; handle it before the Raven job, cause I suspect we'll be on the run after that.

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 22, 2021

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. Vow to ensure that the spirit of the tomb won't directly cause a disaster within our lifetime. We don't know for sure yet whether it's even possible to destroy the tomb, and this vow also leaves our options open if it turns out its actions would be benign.
2. This is tricky - if we leave her here, there's a chance she figures out a way to get to the tomb and release the spirit. If we take her to the waypoint, her presence will raise questions we don't want to answer if the ship gets scanned or searched, we risk extending the reach of the spirit through its connection with her, and there's a risk she tells others about the tomb before we can deal with it. And if we question her more, that risks the spirit trying to get into our mind again, although maybe that only happened because of our empath ability.

Leaning towards B if we can question Erin in a safe way (maybe through text only), and assuming that we're leaving her with no communications and no way of reaching the tomb.

3. C, complete the claim before completing Raven's vow, but check on Raven first to make sure she'll be safe during the wait.

Cobalt-60 posted:

1 A Someone's going to find this thing again, especially now that people know of it.
Did you mean to vote for B to destroy the tomb, instead of A to leave it here for other people to find it?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

HBar posted:

1. Vow to ensure that the spirit of the tomb won't directly cause a disaster within our lifetime. We don't know for sure yet whether it's even possible to destroy the tomb, and this vow also leaves our options open if it turns out its actions would be benign.
2. This is tricky - if we leave her here, there's a chance she figures out a way to get to the tomb and release the spirit. If we take her to the waypoint, her presence will raise questions we don't want to answer if the ship gets scanned or searched, we risk extending the reach of the spirit through its connection with her, and there's a risk she tells others about the tomb before we can deal with it. And if we question her more, that risks the spirit trying to get into our mind again, although maybe that only happened because of our empath ability.

Leaning towards B if we can question Erin in a safe way (maybe through text only), and assuming that we're leaving her with no communications and no way of reaching the tomb.

3. C, complete the claim before completing Raven's vow, but check on Raven first to make sure she'll be safe during the wait.
Did you mean to vote for B to destroy the tomb, instead of A to leave it here for other people to find it?

Yes, B

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +8

Current Vows

“We can’t let her go. Not while that thing is still out there!” Anis blurts out.
“I agree.” Junn replies, “And that raises another point, We need to destroy the tomb.”
“Hah!” Laughs Alexis “No one has ever destroyed a precursor vault.”
“Most people have not tried, but most vaults are oddities to be raided, this is an existential threat to the Forge. And I for one will not stand by without doing everything in my power!” Junn stands and raises their starforge. There is silence in the room for a second.

Okay, I think its likely that everyone else will join this vow. – 60 – so yep.
Lets try and make a connection! + Heart!
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice – 3,3,
A strong hit and a match! – We get “Ship performs above expectations. And the Crew of the Pavlov now share a bond.
Swear and Iron vow Heart+1 for being with a connection!
Action Roll = 2+3 (5), Challenge Dice – 5,4,
Weak hit – I could burn momentum, but not having a good idea of what to do works, and I want that momentum to dig into Erin’s brain.
As we swear the iron vow, we get 2 ticks in quests!

The voices ring in out at once – the wording is different, but the intent the same.
“I swear an iron vow to see that the threat of the tomb will be neutralized.”
The crew look around at each other.
“Now What” asks Anis.
“We can hold Erin here.” Kasia says. “Taking her anywhere else just gives more people chance to learn about the tomb. We should also learn more about the thing. We’ve avoided doing is so far, but the Pavlov carriers a high frequency scanner, it’s designed to get into cores of planets from space, so should give us some info.”
“Impressive.” Junn Says, and Kasia smiles.
“Don’t let her brutal appearance deceive you, my grandparents built her for efficiency, not looks. She has all kind of surprises.”
“Great, while your setting up that, I’m going to go question Erin – She may well have some more information.”

The Erin room had been stripped of all but the bed and the standard spacers toilet.
Erin paces the room as Junn enters. She looks up and for a second they think she’s about to pounce on them, but one of the extended Pavlov family raises a stunner and she moves to the bed and throws herself on.
“How long do you think you can hold me?” She asks. “His will will be done.”
“Long enough, We’re sure we can find a way to destroy that thing with him in it. The precursors were powerful, but they were not gods.
“There you and I will have to disagree.” She retorts. “You should have joined us, I felt him make the offer. It would have been a lot simpler. Even if you kill me, he’ll make contact with another.”
“Maybe, but for now, I want to know what you know about him.” And Junn pushed their mind forwards.

Empathy + Heart
Action Roll = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice – 6,6,
Miss with a complication! But no way in hell I’m not burning momentum on that!
Strong hit with an opportunity! +2 momentum and +1 to the next roll – plus we learn a helpful aspect. (Clever) – the opportunity comes up as “Betray Danger” so she lets something slip – I get “Perilous Facility” hmmm…….

Her mind is easier to read this time – overlaid with the greater than imaginable intelligence of the Thing in the Tomb, is a core intelligence – a mind that’s been studying the tomb from afar as much as she could.
“Don’t think of a way we could hurt it.” Junn says. It’s an old trick, but one that works, her mind’s eye immediately focuses on one of the many parts of the Tomb, there was something there she though fragile, a weak spot in the armour. Junn smiles. “That’s interesting. What is that bit for?”

Time to push on that

Secure an advantage + Wits +1
Action Roll = 5+4 (9), Challenge Dice – 9,8,
Weak hit! +1 to the next roll and we’ll go for gather information +wits +1
Action Roll = 4+4 (8), Challenge Dice – 3,7,
Bingo! The path is clear and +2 Momentum.
“Defend, Disease” 1-50 biological, 51-100 computer virus – 8
I’m going to call this a milestone and move on to scanning it.

“A defensive platform? Biotech eh? Something that we could infect, weaken the system that way?”
“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” She roars, and then falls unconscious as the Thing in the Tomb shuts her down. The crewmember starts forwards then stops and Jun puts up their hand.
“She’ll be okay. Someone else didn’t like my questioning. Keep and eye on her, I’ll be with the captain.”

The bridge crew of the Pavlov were clustered around a screen.
“That’s got the coils warmed up, we should be ready to go. Now all we need to know is what to target.” Riga is saying as Junn enters.
“I can help there. Erin has spotted somewhere that we could target with a biological assault, we should start our scan there.” Riga motions to the controls and Junn sits down, he tracks the targeting camera across the thing until he spots the part he had seen in Erin’s mind. Then he hits the scan button.

Gather information +wits
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice – 7,9,
Weak hit. Insight (Begin Corrupted), but complication (Enemy Haunted)+1 momentum.

The area was scanned, and data begins to spool up the screen. Riga begin to interpret it.
“Yeah, this area is different, it’s like…. It’s infected. The station seems to be fighting it, but it’s defiantly something that we could use. Maybe weaponised…... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?”
As he speaks something moves across the surface, it’s almost see through, but as it moves it casts a light over the surface, and the corruption seems to die back.
“I think that would be the immune system” Alexis comments. I’m really not sure if we want to get close to that.

Okay, is this something that we need to act on now? = No.

“It looks like it’s been doing this for a long time – the system can hold it in that area, but not completely eliminate it.” Anis comments.
“So we don’t need to sweep in right away – we can plan.” Kaisa comments.
“Right. You keep scanning, I’ll head back to Waypoint and do a few things – I have a couple of vows to settle, and I’ll try and I’ll see what leads I can scrounge up.”
“Don’t forget to log our asteroid!” Kasia says.
“First thing when I get there.”

The journey back to waypoint is easier now he has the route logged, and the Amicus Curiae is soon back in its bay.
Junn’s first stop after clearing customs is the claims office. Time to battle the bureaucrats.

That will do for now, I’ll pick up with the two vows next time!

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +5

Current Vows
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)
Legacies Quests = 0.5/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Could we harpoon it, and drag it into the closest sun?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'd be very worried about whatever's crawling around its surface deciding to come up the harpoon cable and make trouble.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dozzons of ticky bombs with remote detonators thrown all over it and Orion platform it right into a sun. We can use a basic computer program to detonate charges at the right time to get it going in the right direction.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd be very worried about whatever's crawling around its surface deciding to come up the harpoon cable and make trouble.

If we rig the right kind of inertial doodleatron, who knows what we can accomplish?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 4 Momentum = +5

Current Vows
Legacies Quests = 0.5/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
[/i]

It was time for Junn to enter the greatest hive of scum and villany on Waypoint.
The claims office.
Half the people here were on the take for the corporations, look for ways to steal claims on technicalities they themselves introduced. They were a law unto themselves.
Striding into the office, the clerk on duty sits behind ten cm of hardened bulletproof glass. She barely looks up as Junn enters.
“To submit a claim fill out form FG-3 C in triplicate.” She intones. The form was not hard, but the trick was to work things in a way that informed the state without giving away the value. Legalieze would be used in full force as they pulled the form up on their datapad and began to type.

Gain the advantage. +wits!
Action Roll = 5+3 (8), Challenge Dice – 7,1,
Strong hit – Marking progress, +1 to next roll and +2 to momentum

He pings the form back, and the woman scan over it. She then begins to probe the details. He’s written a fairly air tight list however, so tries to answer calmly and clearly, not being lured into any of the many trick questions the woman asks.

Strangest face danger ever + shadow +1
Action Roll = 6+3 (9), Challenge Dice – 6,8,
Strong hit again! +1 momentum and mark progress!

The questioning doesn’t show the clerk any weak spots, and he’s downplayed the actual worth of the asteroid as much as possible.
“So, how about we wrap this one up, I’m not getting paid enough registering this lump of rock to waste any more time on it!” Junn declares in a board voice.

Charm + heart for the final push!
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice – 10, 10
Nooo! A match and a fail! It’s a demand and a peril!
Well, a bribe is obvious (-2 supply), but the peril? – “Blocked commerce”

“Well, there are some other problems, first there is a….. experditement fee.” She tilts her head. Junn sighs and sends her the credits. “then there is the issue that that area is under blanket claim by Applied Mining”
“A blanket claim? They can’t lay claim to every bit of space.”
“Well, my systems say they have. You would have to take it up with them.”
“Well, I did pay for expedited service” Junn says pointedly, tapping their datapad they bring up the files. “And it does seem that this is a grey area on the border of that zone.”

Charm + heart!
Action Roll = 2+2 (4), Challenge Dice – 8, 7
Sod this, burning momentum to get this to a strong hit!
Fulfil your vow!
Progress =9 Challenge Dice – 3,1
Strong hit! Mission complete and one more tick on our quests.

“Ah, yes, I’m sure that we can see our way to formally recognising your claim. As you say, it’s the edge of their zone.” The form goes green to show its acceptance.
With that done, Junn leaves the office and heads off to the address given to them to find Raven.

Is she home? 51+ for yes = 29 no
Is anyone home? = 71 – Yes

The door is answered by a scarred woman wearing a fashionable dress.
“What the gently caress do you want?” She asks.
“I’m looking of Raven, I’m hear to help. Alexis sent me.”

Charm + heart! Again.
Action Roll = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice – 10, 9
Miss! Pay the price -2 Momentum.

“Never heard of either of them – this is my night off, so gently caress off and go gently caress your loving self.”
She slams the door in Junns face.
“Nice woman” The say to themselves.

[i]Right, do we.
A – Try the door again, this time with more force.
B – Wait and watch to see if we see Raven
C – Ask around to see if anyone has seen her.

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 2 Momentum = +1

Current Vows
Legacies Quests = 0.75/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Scarface has moxie, I like that. Come back with a nice bottle of something and ask to wait for Raven. Seduce the horrible woman.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Outrail posted:

Scarface has moxie, I like that. Come back with a nice bottle of something and ask to wait for Raven. Seduce the horrible woman.

++1

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Outrail posted:

This is worth a try, I don’t have a better plan. Asking around would alert the wrong people. We also need to consider whether the scarred woman could be working for a group going after Raven, but if that was the case she’d be more likely to lure us in for information instead of shutting us out completely.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
B - Wait and see what else shows up

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hang from the rafters like a bat and drop down with a space subpeona when she shows up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 6 Supply = 2 Momentum = +1

Current Vows
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov

Right. This was going to require something of a different tact. A quick trip to the closest shops and Junn is back at the door with a bottle of the finest Solyant Gin on the station. He knocks again. Cursing is just about audiable before the door opens once more.
“Oh, its Shitforbrains again. Didn’t you get the loving message last time, Fuckwit?”
“I think we got off on the wrong footing before. Truce?” Junn asks, raising the bottle.

Charm + Heart
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice – 7,10
Miss – Pay the price. You are stressed.

“Oh, so you think that you can get me drunk, then have your way with me? Think that I’m some dainty little girl? Let me tell you, I could drink you under the loving table then walk out straight as a die.” She rounds on Junn. “How transparent do you think you are? I don’t loving want to be talking with you! I don’t know anyone called Raven!” Flustered, Junn tries again.
“Okay! Take the bottle then! Drink it later! I’m just here to help. The Pavlovs sent me! I’m here to get her off the station!”

Secure the advantage with wits.
Action Roll = 4+3 (8), Challenge Dice – 5,5
Strong hit. Match +2 momentum, +1 to next roll. A clue to the nature or history of this place.

She pauses. A flicker of doubt in her eyes. Junn glances past her and see the room behind, he takes it in an makes a guess.
“You’re a spacer right? Crewing out of here. I guess you’ve been trying to get her off, but customs are the issue. I’m from the Barr, I can help.”

Charm + Heart+1
Action Roll = 4+3 (7), Challenge Dice – 1,3
Strong hit! + 1 momentum.

“Okay, come in, we’ll share the drink, but if you try anything funny, I’m going to bash your loving head in and they’ll find what’s left of your body floating naked outside the loving airlock!”
“I believe you.” Junn replies and enters the apartment. Its sparse, a single person apartment with one room doing all the duties. There is a couch, which may or may not have been slept on recently. It’s hard to tell, the room is not the cleanest.
“So, shall we have that drink?” Junn asks.
“Not going to pump be for information right away?”
“Nope. I’m Junn by the way” he says, pouring some gin.
“Rowena.” She replies taking it. “I guess we should get to know each other.” She says, and knocks back the shot in a single go.

make a connection + heart
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice – 4,7
Weak hit – the connection comes with a cost – “Raid rare settlement”

An hour later they are slumped on the couch, arms around each other, laughing.
“…And then he loving cuts his foot off!” Junn laughs, they’re not much of one for small talk, but Rowena has been doing most of the talking. They like her though, in his world, everyone goes out of their way to hide their own intentions, Rowena couldn’t care less.
“Right, you’ve been a good boy,” she says “And I’m willing to trust you, but you gotta do me a favour. I have an… item its impounded due to ‘incorrect trade permits’ or something like that. I want you to get it for me. See this is a little tesht.” She slurs her words for the first time. Junn is not sure if he can stand at this point. He shakely raises his starforge.
“I swear an iron vow to get you your thing!” they say, nearly dropping the starforge.
swear a iron vow + heart +1 for connection – this is troublesome I think.
Action Roll = 2+3 (5), Challenge Dice –3,9
Weak hit – the way ahead is muddled +1 momentum

“Thanks! I’m sure it will be no trouble for someone with your skills.”
“I’ll get on it right away.” Junn tres to stand. “Well, tomorrow.”

Hell, you guys said seduction, so lets try one last charm check.
Charm + Heart+1
Action Roll = 4+3 (7), Challenge Dice – 6,1
Strong hit! + 1 momentum.

Rowena pulls him down.
“Where do you think your going. You’ve got plenty to do before morning.” She tells him.

Right, we’ll fade to black/a train entering a tunnel there. And pick up next time.

So, Rowena could be developed more, or when we level up, she might make a good companion for more mechanical effects.
So the vote for this is
A – we strengthen our bond with her
B – We recruit her as a “sidekick” when we get 3XP.
C – We leave thing as they are for now.

quote:

Health = 3 Spirit = 5 Supply = 2 Momentum = +6

Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (1/10) (Dangerous)
Reclaim the object from customs (0/10) (troublesome)

Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, horrible sidekick/pain-bringer/questionable lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B, Junn and Rowena could make a powerful combination, working inside and outside of the law.