Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
A list

but for shareholders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've read multiple articles that implies it didn't really bring in new subscribers, and some third party analysis has determined that most people didn't actually finish the film (although without the actual data from HBO Max that is hard to tell, and that might be bullshit)

That's the case with anything on streaming; most people don't subscribe for a full year, and why not check a random couple minutes of a movie when you've already technically paid for it?

The question is how many people actually paid, how many were already paying but were compelled to continue, etc., and there's no way to exactly calculate that even with whatever internal formula the company might be using. But they absolutely made a profit; the budget was 'only' 70 million - the same as Army Of The Dead.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

It also bought a bunch of goodwill from fans and actors alike.as a studio you probably want to be on good terms with Cavill, Momoa and gadot

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've read multiple articles that implies it didn't really bring in new subscribers, and some third party analysis has determined that most people didn't actually finish the film (although without the actual data from HBO Max that is hard to tell, and that might be bullshit)

I think the vast majority of people that start any film on streaming don't finish it. It's the same thing you see with videogame achivements. Where the overwhelming majority turn it on, get through some minimally small amount of time (5 minutes) then quit, then anyone that gets past that line generally will get to like 80% and then a bunch of people quit around there, then anyone that gets past that is likely to make it to the end.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently Max got 3 million more subs after Thr Snyder Cut? And when it debut on a Chinese streaming service it became more popular than End Game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They wanted to leverage the thing to get as much attention as possible for HBO Max, but the spin machine was revved up and ready to go because they certainly didn't want people to love it too much. So all of these "articles" and "analysis" about how actually the Snyder cut was a disappointment are likely studio propaganda designed to craft this narrative that oh it's nice that Snyder got to release his cut but of course our decisions in the moment were totally correct and Whedon did the best he possibly could so it's really nobody's fault that the theatrical cut sucked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the vast majority of people that start any film on streaming don't finish it. It's the same thing you see with videogame achivements. Where the overwhelming majority turn it on, get through some minimally small amount of time (5 minutes) then quit, then anyone that gets past that line generally will get to like 80% and then a bunch of people quit around there, then anyone that gets past that is likely to make it to the end.

And sounds like the same thing with achievements, studios are going to take completely the wrong lesson from it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To quibble, fossil fuels are actually based almost entirely on plantlife which mostly predates the dinosaurs, but then it could also be how it's specifically stated that wasteful policies especially under King Koopa have depleted almost every resource they have, and fossil fuels were likely the first to go.

The plant matter that forms fossil fuel accumulated because nothing could digest it at the time. In the Mushroom Kingdom, fungus evolved at an accelerated rate which meant they could digest cellulose earlier in the planet’s history.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha, this remind me of when Paradox gave out free steam-keys to everyone who participated in their IPO.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The new Firestarter girl looks absolutely like someone who is about to perform psionic arson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gaston movie ends with him kissing the Beast and turning into a beast

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1400261236806230016?s=19

I'm not sure how I expected them to check this but it's just a self affirming checkbox

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looks like the offer is one free popcorn and a newsletter.

For that level of "reward" I doubt they really care if you are a shareholder or not.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Judging by the people pumping the stock right now, chicken nuggets night have been more suitable

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Holy macaroni

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Holy macaroni

Inject it right in my veins

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how Keanu seems to be treating the John Wick series as a way to work with action people he wouldn't normally be able to. Like Yayan Ruhian from 3.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, that's about me for free/cheap games. I give it maybe half an hour and if it doesn't grab me I'm done. And I've definitely quit games I'm mostly through because I get annoyed it's wasting my time.

I think there's only one game I've quit and gone back to and that's Dark Wood, which I beat twice. It's excellent and terrifying despite being a top down game. I didn't get the gameplay loop the first time and only went back when Markiplier started playing it.

Speaking of which I don't know why let's plays for movies aren't a thing. I know there are commentary things, but something closer to the hanging out with a parasocial friend vibe that modern let's plays are.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I think there's only one game I've quit and gone back to and that's Dark Wood, which I beat twice. It's excellent and terrifying despite being a top down game. I didn't get the gameplay loop the first time and only went back when Markiplier started playing it.

Darkwood is such a good game. Excellent storytelling without force feeding you much.

quote:

Speaking of which I don't know why let's plays for movies aren't a thing. I know there are commentary things, but something closer to the hanging out with a parasocial friend vibe that modern let's plays are.

Probably copyright reasons, the movies you could safely upload or stream are things the main twitch/youtube audiences (8-14 year olds) probably aren't interested in. There's certainly some level of audience though; MST3K, Rifftrax, RLM does commentary tracks, both the big Vinesauce streamers have a private discord (?) where they watch movies that wouldnt be kosher on Twitch, Vargskelethor did a 16 hour MSFT Flight Sim trip to Brazil, and he played the entirety of Who Killed Captain Alex (which in turn has its own VJ) during:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7hwKsrPwSw

So yeah, its mostly just because you can get away with streaming a game.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 4, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

Holy macaroni

hell yeah

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Probably copyright reasons, the movies you could safely upload or stream are things the main twitch/youtube audiences (8-14 year olds) probably aren't interested in.

A Let's Watch Public Domain Movies YouTuber could be an interesting idea, come to think of it. I wonder if it's been done.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The dream has been busted

https://twitter.com/GBNewsdotcom/status/1400588510512439303

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
When there’s something strange

In your digestive tract

Who ya gonna call?

Your Gastrointerologist

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Silver2195 posted:

A Let's Watch Public Domain Movies YouTuber could be an interesting idea, come to think of it. I wonder if it's been done.

I did this with some horror movies for Halloween. Turns out what YouTube considers public domain is different than what you may think.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Twinkies now with Toothpaste filling

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

Twinkies now with Toothpaste filling

I mean, at least it would be good for one part of your body.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if it was good enough for Hi C why not twinkie

The MSJ posted:

Holy macaroni

Wick Man 5

Remember when Ip Man took out the whole Yakuza for the High Table? This is real Chinese history

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Been a while since I watched the Ip men, I remember 2 being a very good Rocky 4 remake.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Silver2195 posted:

Jerma had a public domain movie night a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVnbjP5wiM

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Been a while since I watched the Ip men, I remember 2 being a very good Rocky 4 remake.

Ip Man vs Godzilla was where it really strained credulity

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

I did this with some horror movies for Halloween. Turns out what YouTube considers public domain is different than what you may think.

YouTube doesn't care about the public domain. They care about rightsholders noticing their content is up and requesting that it's taken down. YouTube is more than happy to continue making money on that content for as long as they can get away with it, then passing the blame onto the uploader.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Has Ip Man gone into space yet?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Up Man
Io Man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

Has Ip Man gone into space yet?

rogue One

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Apes-Ma posted:

Jerma had a public domain movie night a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVnbjP5wiM

The best discovery in that stream was how genuinely funny the Ritz Brothers movie The Gorilla is.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ip Man 7: The Right Stuff

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Ip Man 7: The Right Stuff

I honestly wonder if hollywood studios re releasing classic movies from the archive with chinese cuts that are just Chinese actors inserted is gonna be a thing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Alan Smithee posted:

I honestly wonder if hollywood studios re releasing classic movies from the archive with chinese cuts that are just Chinese actors inserted is gonna be a thing

Pay for the likeness rights of a local actor and hire them to do some ADR and then just deepfake their face on the old performance. Easy way to localize the movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
In ten years time, deep-faking will be so cheap and pervasive that old-school filmed productions will be deemed too costly of an endeavour.

Instead of new releases, films are mixed-and-matched together and re-released with almost a gleeful cruelty against artistic intent.

We are absolutely going to see Ip Man 7: The Right stuff.

Donny Yen's wizened asian face will give Ed Harris' character new life, and every American flag will be jankily edited out in the most noticeable way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

In ten years time, deep-faking will be so cheap and pervasive that old-school filmed productions will be deemed too costly of an endeavour.

Instead of new releases, films are mixed-and-matched together and re-released with almost a gleeful cruelty against artistic intent.

We are absolutely going to see Ip Man 7: The Right stuff.

Donny Yen's wizened asian face will give Ed Harris' character new life, and every American flag will be jankily edited out in the most noticeable way possible.
I really must watch the Red Dawn remake to see if they accidentally left in any Chinese flags when they digitally replaced them with North Korea's.