Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ending of Live Action Jungle Book (1994) and the death of its villain is the only reason I remember that film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm just remembering George of the Jungle

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sexism in the workplace actually isn't an issue in Cruella.

It's girl boss vs. much worse girl boss.
I like that they do call out Roger's Cruella hatred as being petty and kinda sexist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like that they do call out Roger's Cruella hatred as being petty and kinda sexist.

Granted she started it by being an absolute classist knob as she loudly insults his profession and more or less stated Anita married far below her station and how they're practically The Poors - right in front of him. Anyone's gonna be kind of petty about that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Granted she started it by being an absolute classist knob as she loudly insults his profession and more or less stated Anita married far below her station and how they're practically The Poors - right in front of him. Anyone's gonna be kind of petty about that.
I think he actually sings the song before she even walks in the door in the original. Granted, she actually is an awful person, but still kinda lovely imo

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 1, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nope, he was working on the melody, the lyrics come later when she started trashing them both, just is it a bit petty? yes, but it really is a consequence of her being a complete rear end in a top hat with no provocation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Nope, he was working on the melody, the lyrics come later when she started trashing them both, just is it a bit petty? yes, but it really is a consequence of her being a complete rear end in a top hat with no provocation.
Nope, he starts singing the song and loudly playing and stomping on the floor when she's coming in.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Isn't the implication that they know Cruella? They know what she's like? You could reasonably talk about the possible sexism of having a character like Cruella in a story. But once you have a cartoonishly ghoulish puppy killer in your story, I think other characters acknowledging how awful she is is pretty fair.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wittgen posted:

Isn't the implication that they know Cruella? They know what she's like? You could reasonably talk about the possible sexism of having a character like Cruella in a story. But once you have a cartoonishly ghoulish puppy killer in your story, I think other characters acknowledging how awful she is is pretty fair.

yeah give Anita and Cruella attended the same school which was a much bigger deal socially in 50s-70s than it is now. Like, I do think if Cruella de Vil was Mr. Chucklefuck De Vil Roger would've written the same type of song because De Vil is a boorish, snotty poo poo-talker who tried to bully Anita to surrendering the puppies and had a fit when learning they weren't born yet. Even the Maid seem pretty well aware of Cruella and did not like her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure Cruella is meant to be pretty well known, being a (supposedly) wealthy and influential fashion designer, and she's also definitely the kind of person you'd remember from school.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's in remakes, we're never told if she had any kind of job in the cartoon, she could be one of the idle rich there - and she definitely talks to Anita as if they were friends (or like many school bullies they massaged their cruel pranks and gossiping into 'fond memories of hanging out with their friends')

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Cruella is meant to be pretty well known, being a (supposedly) wealthy and influential fashion designer, and she's also definitely the kind of person you'd remember from school.
I think she's just an heiress in the book, but vaguely aristocratic in the original movie with her only connection to fashion being her obsession with fur.

EDIT: Beaten

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fun fact, this specific scene of cartoons watching a cartoon was a major inspiration for a young Matt Groening, and not only pushed him to get into animation but also influenced his creation of The Simpsons and the show-within-a-show Itchy and Scratchy in particular.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

it's interesting how big of a change Roger is from the book. In the book he's an accountant and they end up buying the "Dalmatian Plantation" estate (which is actually Cruella's Hell Hall) because he keeps solving financial problems for the government and they just give him whatever he wants. iirc at the beginning of the novel the house that he and Anita live in is theirs to live in rent-free for eternity because Roger solved a debt problem for the federal government.

I guess Disney decided to make him a struggling artist so that there would be more meaningful interactions between the humans in the film

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Roger and Anita have a pre-existing relationship with Cruella and in my womanly opinion, it is okay to dislike a lady who is rude to your staff, openly mocks your home, your spouse and his profession, puts out her cigarette in your perfectly good cupcakes and tea, and then flips out with threats and smashes the door when you tell her she can't just throw money at you and take your dogs. She was already a bitch before she stole and attempted to murder puppies. Roger was 100% right in being all, "Hon, your friend is toxic and you shouldn't waste your time tolerating her." Anita has doormat energy, probably from Cruella being a bully friend in school as mentioned above.

If I could play a trumpet I, too, would use it to drive assholes from my home. Perhaps even better that I can't.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I used to really like the original 101 Dalmatians film, which for some reason played in theaters in the late 80s? I saw it like 4 times.

Had zero interest in the 1996 live action version, but that may be due to my tastes changing as I grew up.

Now I kinda want to see Cruella. Since I missed the IMAX showings of Godzilla v Kong, maybe I'll make it my first theater experience since covid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Anita has doormat energy, probably from Cruella being a bully friend in school as mentioned above.
Frankly if my dirtbag friend came over to mock me while my partner played a trombone loudly and stomped on the floor, I’d go for a long a walk. Clearly Disney messed up by not exploring the dark inner life of Anita.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nandor the Relentless Roger did nothing wrong :colbert: In either the original movie or in the new one.

In the first movie Roger hates Cruella because she's a douche to him, she sucks and he was right to write a song about how much she sucks.

In the new movie Roger blames Cruella for causing him to lose his job, and while he's technically right as Cruella points out the real reason he lost his job is because he's not enough of an rear end in a top hat to work for an evil woman. He gets fried because he, correctly, states that while Cruella might be acting rude nothing she's doing is illegal. He's not willing to commit crimes so he's not the kind of lawyer the baroness would want, which is frankly a good thing. He then goes on to write a song that this version of Cruella would probably love because it plays into the exact kind of campy villain trope she presents herself as in universe.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I forgot about her snubbing her cigarette into the cupcakes, which is just an rear end in a top hat move no matter what the circumstances are.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For what it's worth I am being a bit tongue in cheek because obviously Cartoon Cruella is lovely.

But I do think the song in its context has a bit of a "Oh, your wife and her lovely friends!" bent to it because once again you really don't know anything about Cruella beforehand. I feel a bit justified in the read because it's also a movie where Pongo crosses out potential mates for himself and Roger for being too fat or too lanky. There's also deeper behind the scenes stuff like Cruella being modeled on a bisexual actress or one of the novel's clues the Cruella is evil that her husband took her name. So yes, you can create a backstory that Cruella was a dick to Roger earlier, and yes she is indeed awful, but as much as i like the original, it's a bit dicey with gender stuff and the song has a weird undercurrent to me regardless of Cruella being objectively bad. And I like that the movie kind of reframed it as it being actively petty instead of being retroactively justified. Good song though.

Live-Action Roger is wrong for blaming Cruella though but to be fair Cruella is not a reliable narrator.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 1, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I keep seeing ads for the Boss Baby sequel pop up on youtube. Wasn't the thing with the first movie that everything that happened was the older brother's imagination? Because the sequel seems to be completely throwing that out. Unless it's STILL in his imagination which is worse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never seen the movie but from everything I’ve encountered of it all I can think is, so did they literally just do Muppet Babies except starring Trump

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Macaluso posted:

So I keep seeing ads for the Boss Baby sequel pop up on youtube. Wasn't the thing with the first movie that everything that happened was the older brother's imagination? Because the sequel seems to be completely throwing that out. Unless it's STILL in his imagination which is worse
You made me look up Boss Baby and holy poo poo this chart (and I even only cropped a part of it).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The older brother has some imaginary hijinks but the actual boss baby organization is supposed to be real.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

You made me look up Boss Baby and holy poo poo this chart (and I even only cropped a part of it).

I know those areas are greyed out because the character doesn't appear in that thing, but I can't help reading it as Redacted for the sanity of the viewer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Macaluso posted:

i only know the premise of the sequel and it sounds like a plot made for SOMEONE out there but not for me

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

JazzFlight posted:

So the second son is named Jr? Bit of a jerk move that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

End up doing some binge watching, and I think nobody would be surprised but god drat Gargoyles really still holds up well and Demona is an amazing tragic villain.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 2, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

duz posted:

So the second son is named Jr? Bit of a jerk move that.

Gah there's no clip but there's a great scene in The Office where Andy is describing how he was originally named Walt Jr, but then when he was 6, his little brother was born and they felt the new son was more deserving of the name so they gave it to him and changed his.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

https://twitter.com/AJ_Smith_Writes/status/1398600216337649667

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh come on! :livintrope:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Robindaybird posted:

End up doing some binge watching, and I think nobody would be surprised but god drat Gargoyles really still holds up well and Demona is an amazing tragic villain.

I still think the Avalon boat ride arc stretches out too long, but other than that it was stellar. Really wish they’d give that some kind of reboot or something, like that movie Jordan Peele wanted to make.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, the Avalon World Tour had a couple episodes it could've cut with little loss (Heritage mainly) - my parents who aren't really into animated series had gotten pretty absorbed into it, and even they were 'okay when are they getting back to Manhattan?'

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Gargoyles is one of the reasons I really want a Disney+ subscription at some point. Love to watch that again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Invalid Validation posted:

The older brother has some imaginary hijinks but the actual boss baby organization is supposed to be real.

Unless I missed some contradicting Word Of God in an interview or something, the movie itself very heavily implies that most or all of it should be considered a child's extremely embellished version of the much more mundane things that actually happened. His brother was "delivered" in a taxi, therefore he thinks he literally arrived to their house one day in a taxi. His parents work at a company named "PuppyCo" so he assumes they somehow create puppies, instead of dog food or something. And he feels like his baby brother is bossing everyone around and wishes he could go back to when it was just him and his parents, so he copes by dreaming up this whole complicated thing for that to make sense. (Plus, most of the movie's big set pieces can be seen in toy form when they show his room.)

Data Graham posted:

Never seen the movie but from everything I’ve encountered of it all I can think is, so did they literally just do Muppet Babies except starring Trump

Oddly he doesn't really play the role of "boss" in any significant way throughout the movie. I'm guessing it's largely an artifact of whatever book they based it on. Because I can imagine that concept working in a shorter form, but they realized at some point that this isn't a movie and we have to add something.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It was a throwaway gag that creates a potential plot hole, but there's a bit where the brother whispers that he thought babies came from sex and Boss Baby acts like he's a disgusting freak for thinking that. So his parents already had that talk with him and he shouldn't have any misconceptions about where his brother came from. Unless the implication is that he actually believes his parents are gross liars.

There's some deep dive Fight Club interpretation of Boss Baby out there that I'm too lazy to look for.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

It was a throwaway gag that creates a potential plot hole, but there's a bit where the brother whispers that he thought babies came from sex and Boss Baby acts like he's a disgusting freak for thinking that. So his parents already had that talk with him and he shouldn't have any misconceptions about where his brother came from. Unless the implication is that he actually believes his parents are gross liars.

There's some deep dive Fight Club interpretation of Boss Baby out there that I'm too lazy to look for.

There is at least three levels of reality in boss baby.

1) the whole story is a story being told by the grown child to his own daughter at some point in the far future. The story we are seeing is the flash back of this narrative as told by him.

2) In the story we briefly see other characters point of view on the events and the gag in each is that the event IS happening, but is far toned down from the more fantastical vision of the camera.

3) but we also do get commentary on the real events really happening with jokes like yelling at the parents that it's insane they don't think it's weird the baby wears a suit.

Like, the conclusion seems like there really is a talking baby from a weird baby business world and the loose outlines of the events are real, but then like, the details are fabricated or misunderstood? Like if at the end of narnia they announced it was all just a story and the talking lion was really just a talking really big housecat or something. The fantastical elements are never ruled out, the children are not REALLY having a wild high speed chase, but in the real view of the parents showing events accurately they are really still having a chase and the baby is a weird boss baby, but it's simply much toned down. The "Real" segments still have fantastic elements.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This is making me want to actually watch Boss Baby.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Gargoyles is one of the reasons I really want a Disney+ subscription at some point. Love to watch that again.

It's the main reason I got D+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wdarkk posted:

This is making me want to actually watch Boss Baby.

It's surprisingly good BUT that may vary wildly depending on whether you have kids. At the very least, it is very visually inventive, though many have taken issue with the character designs themselves, and the humor is just passable.

Despite all appearances, they did put a lot of effort into making sure there's a real emotional core to the story about brotherhood.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 3, 2021