Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, wait, wait. Is he saying these landscapes are his artistic strengths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
No they're his weakness but he stopped giving a gently caress about them looking bad.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
What is the point of today's comic? Does he think the past several comics were too subtle. Does he think comics need to show AND tell?

Old hat now: but at least in the original run you felt like Mookie was excited about all his bad decisions and poor plotting

He also retweeted the only two comments on his last comic. Which just makes me feel sadder than his soft Boi.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

What is the point of today's comic? Does he think the past several comics were too subtle. Does he think comics need to show AND tell?

This is a thing that drives me nuts. I can never tell if it's an author not confident in the ability of their art to speak for itself, or if they want to make sure you know how clever they are.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
LOL, Sunflower didn't say anything nice about Snout. Sunflower damned him with faint praise.

TheHan posted:

One of the most intensely pathetic scenes Snout's had.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 2, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Mookie thinks that's normal praise from his own experiences :ssh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"You're not good but your heart's probably in the right place" is the most charitable compliment I could see Mookie getting.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

"You're not good but your heart's probably in the right place" is the most charitable compliment I could see Mookie getting.

It’s also come up as a theme in Dominic Deegan, for instance Gregory’s suck rock band arc where all the critics say the band is trash but they respect how rock n roll they are

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Billy Gnosis posted:

What is the point of [this] comic?

ftfy

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
God I know I said that scene was intensely pathetic but THIS is the most intensely pathetic scene of any comic I’ve read. Who hurt you?! Was it us? Cause if so, jesus, sorry.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
we are the legacy

the comic is us...

the poop... touched US

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roman Reigns posted:

It’s also come up as a theme in Dominic Deegan, for instance Gregory’s suck rock band arc where all the critics say the band is trash but they respect how rock n roll they are

Definitely not looking forward to the reread reaching Facebath era Greg.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Did Greg get dumped before Facebath or did Pam just stop existing?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I kinda am as it’s where Mookie basically shouts at the top of his lungs “screw the critics, I’m going to do what I want” and from there the comic careens and crashes its way to the end. More so than usual I mean.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mors Rattus posted:

Pam gets shown in an arc where Quilt and Luna try and figure out why he keeps scrying on her in perverted ways, and she's also one of the characters that gets shown the star that Dominic and Luna send to everyone to announce their marriage. I have no idea if she dumped Greg or not though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I know they fight a bit over Greg's personality/music taste change, but not sure if she dumps him. The main person who gets dumped in the comic is Jayden, who pretty much exists to suffer whenever the plot glances in her direction.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zerilan posted:

I kind of am since it's one of the few arcs which is content to be merely dumb and bad instead of actively hateful, offensive, and disgusting. At least to the best of my recollection, there may well be creepy misogynistic garbage in there too that I forgot about.

Zerilan posted:

I know they fight a bit over Greg's personality/music taste change, but not sure if she dumps him. The main person who gets dumped in the comic is Jayden, who pretty much exists to suffer whenever the plot glances in her direction.
Greg is a Mookie so his perfect anime waifu is not capable of dumping him.

Mors Rattus posted:

By that point, I think Dominic was traveling to the Callanian capital and other places more often so the comic spent less time in the city Pam is mayor of so gradually forgot about her.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

I kind of am since it's one of the few arcs which is content to be merely dumb and bad instead of actively hateful, offensive, and disgusting. At least to the best of my recollection, there may well be creepy misogynistic garbage in there too that I forgot about.
Greg is a Mookie so his perfect anime waifu is not capable of dumping him.
By that point, I think Dominic was traveling to the Callanian capital and other places more often so the comic spent less time in the city Pam is mayor of so gradually forgot about her.

Greg is totally a smug dick towards Pam in that arc but it's kind of a backseat thing iirc. Main things I remember from that arc is Greg using having seen people around him get mutilated as points towards his metal cred, Mookie still loving "X from above" "jokes" as much as the LICD guy does, and his David Willis level prudishness towards any sort of drunken revelry.

Definitely still less hateful than like: Snowsong, Shadow of Siegfried, Oracle Hunter, or Nimmel House iirc.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 2, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I miss Star Power because that at least had decent art.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zerilan posted:

The main person who gets dumped in the comic is Jayden, who pretty much exists to suffer whenever the plot glances in her direction.

Remember how Jayden took a vow of silence or something and hadn't spoken for ages and then when she was about to say something sweet and meaningful after Dominic and Luna got married Greg interrupted her so he could be "metal"?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Greg is totally a smug dick towards Pam in that arc but it's kind of a backseat thing iirc. Main things I remember from that arc is Greg using having seen people around him get mutilated as points towards his metal cred, Mookie still loving "X from above" "jokes" as much as the LICD guy does, and his David Willis level prudishness towards any sort of drunken revelry.

Definitely still less hateful than like: Snowsong, Shadow of Siegfried, Oracle Hunter, or Nimmel House iirc.

I'm sure you're right. I just haven't read that arc in a very long time.

Yeah, that's all I meant.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Remember how Jayden took a vow of silence or something and hadn't spoken for ages and then when she was about to say something sweet and meaningful after Dominic and Luna got married Greg interrupted her so he could be "metal"?
Who could forget?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While the term “Mary Sue” is overused and vague and tainted by edgelord bullshit, I think it’s clear that Snout is a character Mookie is desperate for us to like. He’s so humble! And vulnerable! And sensitive! And kind (as people keep saying)! He’s a woobie come on you love those soft bois!

It’s interesting if nothing else as a contrast to the smug hyper-brilliance of Dominic Deegan, but both characters end up in the same place as long-suffering martyrs.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, it's a good example of current-gen sues versus those from an earlier generation. Dominic may have been a smug rear end in a top hat all the time, but at least he was a powerful omniscient wizard. You can see in the abstract why Mookie would want to be a character like this. Characters like Snout, a fairly textbook anti-sue (wait people called Dominic a sue because he was powerful? Snout will be totally useless!) is still a sue because while Mookie has dispensed with all theoretically enviable qualities like being smart and rich and being able to shoot lasers out of his eyes, everyone and everything in the whole universe still revolves around Snout and exists solely to serve him either by providing naked cuddles or theoretically extracting sympathy from the reader when they make mildly critical comments towards him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I feel like the only reason the plot continues to revolve around Snout (aside from Mookie being desperate to make the audience like him) is the "no dialog" restriction. Mookie can't show us the other, (theoretically) more interesting things that are happening in Arudak's tower right now because to do so he'd need to have characters talk, and without Snout around he wouldn't even be able to use the excuse "They write everything so Snout can know it too." I mean, I fully expect Snout to come back into the tower and for someone to hand him a stack of papers that they wrote going "We talked about some things and blah blah blah" and Mookie will have an entire page of text with Snout's dumfounded face at the bottom, but for the moment he has to focus on Snout.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Here it is, all is well, daddy has driven the bullies away.

What a pointless story.

Also, I'm just going to say, in terms of Mookie not considering the cuddling sexual, we haven't seen Snout snuggle with Arudak, have we? That's what undercuts it, it's all innocent, but all heterosexual. If there wasn't a fetishistic element to it, it wouldn't always be the ladies he spoons with.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

why does he always have to draw dick and balls

not even Watchmen had this much dick and balls

And a lot of it is while the character is sleeping, which is really loving creepy.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

We saved your friends life but it wasn't worth it if you made you feel bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

why does he always have to draw dick and balls

not even Watchmen had this much dick and balls

And a lot of it is while the character is sleeping, which is really loving creepy.

If he didn't draw dick and balls constantly how could he remind you this is a mature comic for mature adults such as himself? The more dick and balls there are the more mature and adult it is, therefore this comic is better than Watchmen.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Snout saw beardy's mean note about him, went into the field for a poo poo, wandered through the void all night, then came back at sunrise while stealthily avoiding everyone in the tower despite being deaf so he couldn't hear them coming if they weren't in his immediate eyeline, then went to bed and Arudak just somehow knew he'd returned and passed him a note.

What was the point of him leaving at all? Just have Arudak pass him a note as soon as he runs off crying.

I can't get over how much time Snout spends sleeping. It's insane.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my loving god how long is this comic going to dwell on the fact someone was rude to Snout

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Billy Gnosis posted:

We saved your friends life but it wasn't worth it if you made you feel bad.

That is basically what he's saying, isn't it...?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh my loving god how long is this comic going to dwell on the fact someone was rude to Snout

Is it touching the poop to make someone go back to when the latest mopeathon started and see if Mookie got any particularly hateful tweets, mild criticism, or neutral comments?

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
What color is Snout? Does he have a normal human skin tone or does he have some kind of fantasy color? Are his "scales" the same color as the rest of him?

I hope he's something obnoxious like highlighter yellow.

*EDIT*: I just looked back and this comic has gone on for two loving years?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

mournful... he has a mournful dick and balls

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They haven't even bothered to translate the note he handed snout, the one that was, presumably, actually insulting. Because the stuff Snout actually read was not worth this much moping. It was definitely rude...but none of it was actually insulting: it was just a list of the supernatural or significant abilities that snout doesn't have...that most people don't have, for that matter. All beard-orc actually said was "Snout has no superhuman abilities, cannot dig underground, cannot use magic and cannot fly." This is true of almost everyone! It was phrased in a condescending manner but none of it is actually claiming that Snout is deficient in any way. He didn't claim that snout was stupid, or clumsy or weak...he didn't even harp on Snout's actual disabilities.

Presumably, the note that got Ink Witch shouty contained actual insults but no one has actually told Snout what that said! At this point Sunflower has insulted snout more with his backhanded compliment than beard-orc has.

And thinking about it...what did Beard-Orc actually do to determine what the vine was? They're pretending that corpse-wife suddenly being able to speak was some kind of eureka moment that let them have a breakthrough...except that the entire thing with sunflower and the flower from snout's book was a complete separate phenomena that had nothing to do with how the vine worked. Every bit of identifying information on the vine was information that was already available before corpsey spoke. They knew where it grew, they knew it created a person out of other people, they knew it controlled people with sound and they had the chunk o' gunk that corpsey had already committed up when she met sunflower. So, if beard orc had all that information and was still stumped, what gave him the breakthrough?

EDIT: Oh, and what do you want to bet that by the time Snout wakes up Ink Witch, Corpse-wife or both will have snuck into his bed.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 4, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kavak posted:

Is it touching the poop to make someone go back to when the latest mopeathon started and see if Mookie got any particularly hateful tweets, mild criticism, or neutral comments?

No. Mookie blocks and reports anything but fawning praise and even that's been very thin on the ground since Legacy started. The last time someone was the slightest bit critical of him was far before Snout's latest pity jerkoff session started. While this is probably the ultimate explanation, it could also just be Mookie repeating himself in a comic because he hasn't thought of anything new rather than miss or skip an update until he can think of something interesting to put in the comic.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

What color is Snout? Does he have a normal human skin tone or does he have some kind of fantasy color? Are his "scales" the same color as the rest of him?

I hope he's something obnoxious like highlighter yellow.

*EDIT*: I just looked back and this comic has gone on for two loving years?

We don't explicitly know the answer to this question since Mookie has grown too lazy to color even once a week and has alienated anyone willing to do paid art or fanart of his lovely characters, but assuming he is roughly similar in coloring to Bort, he would be a muted olive drab green and have colorful patches of scales in bright red and blue.

And yet nothing has happened.

EDIT:

oriongates posted:

They haven't even bothered to translate the note he handed snout, the one that was, presumably, actually insulting. Because the stuff Snout actually read was not worth this much moping. It was definitely rude...but none of it was actually insulting: it was just a list of the supernatural or significant abilities that snout doesn't have...that most people don't have, for that matter. All beard-orc actually said was "Snout has no superhuman abilities, cannot dig underground, cannot use magic and cannot fly." This is true of almost everyone! It was phrased in a condescending manner but none of it is actually claiming that Snout is deficient in any way. He didn't claim that snout was stupid, or clumsy or weak...he didn't even harp on Snout's actual disabilities.

Presumably, the note that got Ink Witch shouty contained actual insults but no one has actually told Snout what that said! At this point Sunflower has insulted snout more with his backhanded compliment than beard-orc has.
I think after Snout taught himself to read Orcish in one night (quick: how long has Snout been at Arudak's house?) and we saw the books full of gibberish be transformed into English, from that point forward when he sees paper that is in the universe of the comic written in Orcish, it is presented to us the reader as English.

I believe when he snuck a peek at beardy's journal he was in fact reading the same text as the note he handed Snout because he just slotted it back into his notebook and/or had his scribe write that stuff down. But now that he can read his language, so can we the audience.

I know in a vacuum what I'm saying is stupid and doesn't make sense, but that's why I think it's the most probably explanation here.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 4, 2021

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Invisible Clergy posted:

EDIT:
I think after Snout taught himself to read Orcish in one night (quick: how long has Snout been at Arudak's house?) and we saw the books full of gibberish be transformed into English, from that point forward when he sees paper that is in the universe of the comic written in Orcish, it is presented to us the reader as English.

I believe when he snuck a peek at beardy's journal he was in fact reading the same text as the note he handed Snout because he just slotted it back into his notebook and/or had his scribe write that stuff down. But now that he can read his language, so can we the audience.

I know in a vacuum what I'm saying is stupid and doesn't make sense, but that's why I think it's the most probably explanation here.

Snout taught himself orcish and then beard-orc handed him the note, establishing that snout hadn't learned enough to read it (hence why he gave it to ink witch to translate). There was no intervening time for snout to learn more and be able to translate the note. The note was also destroyed when Ink Witch tore it up in her screaming fit at beard-orc so snout never saw it again after that.

As much as there's a lot of very, very, very dumb stuff in the comic, the whole thing with snout 'learning' orcish isn't that weird or unclear (by the standards of the comic, at least)

He was doing research by translating, word-by-word using an orcish-to-'english' dictionary. This let him translate passages of text (because as far as mookie is concerned all languages are grammatically identical word substitutions) but it doesn't do him any good when he doesn't have the time and reference material to translate stuff (so when beard orc hands him a note it's all gibberish). He hasn't actually learned any of the language, he's just done the equivalent of running it through google translate.

(we also see what he sees when he looks over the assistant's shoulder: beard-orc's incredibly dumb, but explicitly established, tendency to switch languages mid-sentence: so a garbled mixture of "English", Orcish and other languages.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

You're right. I remembered the order of events wrong and didn't want to go back and check because this comic is boring. Good catch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's amazing how much of the history of this comic is Mookie's projection of his own impotent rage and inadequacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I didn't even know this comic had events that happened so there could be an order for them.