Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

It might've worked if they actually did offer wares and goods that China was potentially interested in (like I dunno, steam locomotives?) and not trinkets China already had because China was still a fairly advanced society. The Chinese Emperor's letter to King George is fun to read and actually makes good points.

The Emperor of China posted:

Yesterday your Ambassador petitioned my Ministers to memorialise me regarding your trade with China, but his proposal is not consistent with our dynastic usage and cannot be entertained. Hitherto, all European nations, including your own country's barbarian merchants, have carried on their trade with our Celestial Empire at Guangzhou. Such has been the procedure for many years, although our Celestial Empire possesses all things in prolific abundance and lacks no product within its own borders. There was therefore no need to import the manufactures of outside barbarians in exchange for our own produce. But as the tea, silk and porcelain which the Celestial Empire produces, are absolute necessities to European nations and to yourselves, we have permitted, as a signal mark of favour, that foreign hongs [merchant firms] should be established at Guangzhou, so that your wants might be supplied and your country thus participate in our beneficence.

Lol :iceburn:

http://users.rowan.edu/~mcinneshin/281/wk05/qingletters.htm

EDIT: Also

quote:

As your Ambassador can see for himself, we possess all things. I set no value on objects strange or ingenious, and have no use for your country's manufactures [the McCartney mission brought wool socks as an offering].
... Seriously?? You travel like 10,000km and bring the emperor of China a pair of wool socks?

Ahahaha this whole thing is hilarious!

quote:

Moreover, our dynasty, swaying the myriad races of the globe, extends the same benevolence towards all. Your England is not the only nation trading at Guangzhou. If other nations, following your bad example, wrongfully importune my ear with further impossible requests, how will it be possible for me to treat them with easy indulgence? Nevertheless, I do not forget the lonely remoteness of your island, cut off from the world by intervening wastes of sea, nor do I overlook your excusable ignorance of the usages of our Celestial Empire.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

... Seriously?? You travel like 10,000km and bring the emperor of China a pair of wool socks?

Yeah it all sort of boils down to the thing that the Europeans were angriest about was that China refused to acknowledge the inherent superiority of their cultural output. How could they not want what we have?

The Victorian era was basically the time when white Europeans invented race science to justify colonialism after the fact, forgot that it was a thing they just made up, and started to legitimately believe it was how the world worked and the existence of China was poking some very big holes in their theories.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

DrSunshine posted:

BRB, Inventing phrenology because my mother's knit socks were insulted by an emperor.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Raenir Salazar posted:

It might've worked if they actually did offer wares and goods that China was potentially interested in (like I dunno, steam locomotives?) and not trinkets China already had because China was still a fairly advanced society. The Chinese Emperor's letter to King George is fun to read and actually makes good points.

Didn't they? I was reading about railroads in China and there were at least a couple of times when somebody showed up and built a demonstration train and the government tore it down and told them to take a hike. They didn't actually allow any railroads until the decades later and those were all built by foreigners.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They said it was interrupting the feng shui, and they were right.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah it should be noted that, while the euros were 100% the bad guys and ultimately responsible for everything bad that happened, the Qing empire was also just very badly run. Thats part of the reason poo poo like the Taipei rebellion and other uprisings kept happening in the first place.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

I definitly remember some warhammer 40k sized doom battles invading the UK has france in vick2. Like wiping out 2 million a 4 month battle.

In Vicky 1, you could manually promote entire populations into soldiers, then make units from those soldier populations. You could use those specific units on suicide missions until you destroyed the entire population of a state or whatever.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Speaking of China, my one (...well... One of many) confusion with Vic2 is I have no idea how I'm supposed to interact with China like a proper imperialist. Conquering chunks of them is right out, as then you'd have a bunch of wrong culture, illiterate peasants mucking up your research. You cant sphere them, because then your economy explodes. So... What does one do?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Speaking of China, my one (...well... One of many) confusion with Vic2 is I have no idea how I'm supposed to interact with China like a proper imperialist. Conquering chunks of them is right out, as then you'd have a bunch of wrong culture, illiterate peasants mucking up your research. You cant sphere them, because then your economy explodes. So... What does one do?

You conquer them and send endless waves of Chinese Peasents at your enemies instead of your own soldiers.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's actually a pro strat to conquer the Pearl River Delta, based on what I regularly see people on Youtube do.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Capfalcon posted:

Every once in a while you sail some armies over to kick the poo poo out of them and force them to cede some treaty ports

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

It's actually a pro strat to conquer the Pearl River Delta, based on what I regularly see people on Youtube do.

Oh I wasn't kidding, I wouldn't try taking the whole of China, but grabbing a state or two is fantastic, shitloads of Raw materiel and Raw recruits. The penalties don't outweigh being able to militarily punch way above your weight.

My go to with Spain, was Deal with the Carlists, Take Sokoto, Take South Korea, and then see if I can take a piece out of China, Then you can actually get enough power to not constantly be struggling for GP against loving Belgium, and take part in the big boy wars

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Every once in a while you sail some armies over to kick the poo poo out of them and force them to cede some treaty ports

That's only an HPM thing, vanilla doesn't have treaty ports

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the thing about Victoria 2 is ultimately that more pops = better. Big colonial armies and a huge tax base will make you a lot more powerful than slightly faster tech development.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

VostokProgram posted:

That's only an HPM thing, vanilla doesn't have treaty ports

Ah yeah alright, then just conquer coastal chunks and forcibly conscript the population for endless European land wars

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hope V3 requires things like the british indian army to actually spend the majority of their manpower garrisoning India instead of colonies being endless manpower pools.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hope V3 requires things like the british indian army to actually spend the majority of their manpower garrisoning India instead of colonies being endless manpower pools.

No! then I'll have to git gud

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How does, "Agrarian Society, -69% manpower" sound

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't know much about the raj (even though I should). Why did they need to garrison it so heavily? In case of rebellion?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Paradox should buy the studio that made Rule the Waves 2 and just add it to Vic 3

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tiger attacks

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Paradox should buy the studio that made Rule the Waves 2 Imperialism and just add it to Vic 3

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know much about the raj (even though I should). Why did they need to garrison it so heavily? In case of rebellion?

Among other things, fear of another colonial power (say, Russia) trying to take it over.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Tomn posted:

Among other things, fear of another colonial power (say, Russia) trying to take it over.
I am by no means an expert, but everything I've read has borne this out: the British were absolutely paranoid that the Russians or even the French would try to steal their poo poo given half a chance. The nightmare disaster scenario was millions of Russians pouring down out of Central Asia (logistics be damned!) and overrunning India. That, and the fact that the local populaces tended to hate being ruled by the British and rebelled a lot for obvious reasons the British would never allow themselves to understand.

Also, the British were absolutely rapacious and had ridiculously grandiose dreams like linking India up to the Med via continuous, British-controlled rail lines.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Paradox should buy the studio that made Rule the Waves 2 and just add it to Vic 3

Oh man that'd be a match made in heaven.

Proper 19th century ship design and production shenanigans, actual civil-military relations, more spreadsheets... heck, I'd honestly prefer RtW's vaguely HOI4-like per-theatre deployment system to the usual Clausewitz navy mechanics.

Dayton Sports Bar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 3, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I also imagine arming millions of people in india might give them ideas of not fighting for Britain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A designer will inherently suck unless it's somehow randomized so the player doesn't automatically know dreadnoughts work and HMS Captain doesn't

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A designer will inherently suck unless it's somehow randomized so the player doesn't automatically know dreadnoughts work and HMS Captain doesn't

Make sure you have enough local big gun production as Japan so you can build a uniform caliber Satsuma.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Oh God please do not add any designer of anything to Vicky 3.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there is a little bit more to the "indian regiments stay in india" thing than just the need for garrison work. the people most on-board with serving in the aristocratic british military were high-caste folks that literally could not travel across the ocean for religious reasons, and would have rebelled if ordered overseas. did, in fact - the Mutiny was partially driven by fear that the british were going to expand overseas service. in many ways the sepoys were a direct mirror of the regular british army - aristocratic leadership with lots of landed gentry. their presence was considered important for retaining control as the east india company generally tried to operate as an extra administrative layer above the pre-existing social structures, except in the cases where british sensibilities (and prejudices) were simply too ruffled not to interfere. which was a lot of cases to be fair

the EIC and the raj are a fascinatingly awful lens into the nuts and bolts of empire that in many other cases were simply not documented nearly as thoroughly

Minenfeld! posted:

trade good designer. let me catapult to the top as bavaria selling Opera to the world

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 3, 2021

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Jazerus posted:

let me catapult to the top as bavaria selling Opera to the world
Give me a slider for follies that will eventually litter the map with mazes and fake Roman ruins for the authentic Victorian experience.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the game should have a sims style building editor, so that you can design your own palaces, government buildings, monuments, opera houses, etc. and when the worlds fair happens you get to design your pavilion for that

e: what are some cool books on imperialism i should read to get ready for vicky 3. besides the one by lenin

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Minenfeld! posted:

I hate the ship designer thing too. The whole point is you choose the techs, and then ofc your naval college will figure out the rest. It doesnt need to be extrapolated on.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gort posted:

How does, "Agrarian Society, -69% manpower" sound

About as good as Porto-Brazilian India.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 3, 2021

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I would prefer if we didn't even have manual control of our navies. Just let me assign ships to fleets and fleets to missions like blockade or trade protection or whatever. I hate controlling navies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It should be impossible to manually order your military province-to-province, land or sea.

You give them orders and you appoint officers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This would own, actually. Randomly mess with the stats every game so a different piece of military technology is OP each campaign. Players sinking an ungodly amount of money into Landship R&D in the hopes that this time it will pay off.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

for the love of god stop with the loving designers the AI will never know how to use and players just memorize the meta template for

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Top hat designer. The fancier it is, the more resources it costs to produce but the happier your Capitalists.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mantis42 posted:

Top hat designer. The fancier it is, the more resources it costs to produce but the happier your Capitalists.

nevermind this will do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

DrSunshine posted:

Ha ha yes, it worked out really well to send those idiots off with a flea in their ear :smith:

The Emperor and his officials quite correctly read the power dynamic as of 1795 but even if you don’t blame them for not predicting the way the next 40 years would change that, they should possibly have put more weight on the implications of Macartney’s team, who were not morons, challenging the idea that the Emperor was on a level of his own above their King. I think this thread is the first time I’ve seen the response presented as a diplomatic masterstroke.

Then again, China had had lovely ships compared to Europeans for 300 years at that point and it had never been a problem so it’s understandable that he didn’t immediately see the implications of the Macartney ships (and when they eventually did build a proper fleet, the Japanese promptly sank it).