Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400219405938675714?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kim's Convenience star Simu Liu puts producers on blast in explosive Facebook post

Quite a lot to unpack here.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Lmao I literally just finished the season and went to Twitter to check other people's thoughts and saw this.

Makes my time spent watching the show an even bigger waste than it felt. Some of the most atrocious pacing I have experienced in a show. They could have cut episodes 2-5 out completely. It would've been far better to do all of the 1920s stuff in one go rather than dragged out over the whole season.

Oh well, there are plenty of shows about evil-Superman out now that are doing this a million times better. Nothing of value has been lost.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It didn’t help that the main guy looks like Bill Hader in an snl bit with the bad wig and fake beard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh wow. This is nuts. Sounds like a pretty lovely environment to be in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I believe him since he's the one guy powerful enough to not give a gently caress about repercussions. Explains why the finale sucked rear end too. The optics of the one white lady getting the spinoff out of all the characters is really bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't get around to watching it, but the costuming on Jupiter's Legacy looked so drat bad in the trailers. Like eBay cosplay onesies.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Escobarbarian posted:

Eight episodes down, gonna watch the final two after work tomorrow. I can’t loving wait, holy poo poo aaaaaaa

One small thing I wasn’t into in 208 was the Bill storyline. Dude spends so long being an antagonising piece of poo poo, actively insulting a WOC who is just trying to talk to him, and then when she loses her temper (completely valid in the moment) and calls him Peanut she has to go and apologise, I wasn’t super happy about this development but fair enough I guess, but why do we THEN get this long story of why Bill pissing himself is actually really tragic and traumatic??? I don’t loving care! It doesn’t excuse him being a piece of poo poo before, and I don’t get why the show wanted me to have all this unearned sympathy for him. I’m glad they’re friends now or whatever but he never even apologised for being such a garbage motherfucker before.

lmao I guess my trigger for TV is stuff I consider unfair. The Karen storyline has also taken a bad turn but it’s not horrible or anything

It's a drat good show and I agree with the spoilered bit. I didn't like that either.

The finale is good poo poo. Report back once you're done!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, it’s a testament to the people who made (the first) Kick rear end and (the first) Kingsman* for being able to get something entertaining out of Mark Millar’s absolute garbage writing.

(* not sure how Vaughn/Goldman hosed the sequel so a badly, but hey).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

Just came here to post this, wasn’t a fan of his old stuff but this was amazing. Hit a bit too close to home seeing the lockdown related depression stuff.

Yeah Bo Burnhams new special is good! I mean, I’ve liked al this stuff a fair bit but this had some really good parts. He even seems like he could transition into a Father John Misty type performer as he ages.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Creamerie ended this week.

loving excellent black comedy about a trio of New Zealand women dealing with a Y The Last Man type situation. Really excellent writing and casting, and with a plot that frequently surprised me -- on one level it's a satire of the kind of very exclusionary, very lovely thinking that characterised the worst of White Feminism, while on another level it's a small town comedy drama, and on another level it's, well... I don't really want to spoil it.

The way the show builds its science-fiction setting out of a few little hints (no one seems to have money, everyone uses landlines, the subtle implications about who the society considers underisable and how it treats them) is really quite impressive. And it's surprisingly tense: the trailer spoils more than it should, and I'm glad I didn't see it before watching the show, but this show goes to some dark places.

The final scene is a touch ludicrous, and the show is obviously banking on being renewed in order to tell its complete story. But it's very good: funny and nuanced, with some very impressive performances -- particularly from Tandi Wright, Rachel House (holy poo poo she should be way more famous than she is) and Perlina Lau.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Still my vote for the best new show of the year.

If you want to watch it, it's streaming in some places. But it's the kind of show that's probably on Dailymotion, or smth. I dunno.

This sounds really good! I’ll try to find it somewhere.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 3, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792?s=19

Wild how Netflix throws so much money at utter mediocrity hoping it sticks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The hell. From the screenshots I thought it was some cheap parody show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've no idea what happened with that show. I remember when deKnight was an exciting writer. No idea what happened.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bring back Marco Polo. I'm still pissed about the season 2 cliffhanger

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1400228543313825792?s=19

Wild how Netflix throws so much money at utter mediocrity hoping it sticks.
I think Netflix has an insane amount of money to throw at content, and their algorithms say a dark superhero series can’t fail, so they go full out for new shows.

The thing is, those algorithms are often wrong, and they don’t have infinite money.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
200 million is more than WandaVision and Falcon & the Winter Soldier cost, yet it looked a whole lot cheaper than that.

I see people talk about the bad makeup on the show, for some reason I assumed there was a good explanation for why the main characters all had white hair, but otherwise looking like they were still in their 30's.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Imagine throwing 200 million at any Mark Millar project

quote:

At the same time, the streamer has ordered a live-action adaptation of Mark Millar’s #Supercrooks to series

Oh for gently caress's sake

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Catching up on Mythic Quest and lol at Ubisoft being involved, leading to gems like the opener in S02E03...

"Counterstrike, Hyperscape, Call of Duty ... what do these mega-franchises have in common?"

:thunk: if it's a pathetic, very, very wishful marketing ploy or a self-deprecating jab at their own failed attempt to support a game long term and establish a loyal playerbase.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Catching up on Mythic Quest and lol at Ubisoft being involved, leading to gems like the opener in S02E03...

"Counterstrike, Hyperscape, Call of Duty ... what do these mega-franchises have in common?"

:thunk: if it's a pathetic, very, very wishful marketing ploy or a self-deprecating jab at their own failed attempt to support a game long term and establish a loyal playerbase.

I mean, one of the recurring things in the show is that the company treats its regular employees like total poo poo, and that the unseen corporate heads in Montreal are only ever in an antagonist role, I don't think the show is 100% pro-Ubisoft propaganda.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Hakkesshu posted:

Imagine throwing 200 million at any Mark Millar project
Oh for gently caress's sake

The thing is, Supercrooks could at least be fun. It’s a heist, you can do things with that and make it jokey or interesting. Even without the constant comparisons to The Boys, Jupiter’s Legacy looked to just be a joyless and self serious slog to the point even die hard super hero genre fans would go “why do I care about this”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know it's really easy to announce that a show is happening. I'll believe it when they actually cast and start production.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Trailer for the Anthony Bourdain documentary Roadrunner. It seems like this is not a case of the same day on HBO Max as the theater release. Watching the trailer reminds me how much I miss watching his show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, one of the recurring things in the show is that the company treats its regular employees like total poo poo, and that the unseen corporate heads in Montreal are only ever in an antagonist role, I don't think the show is 100% pro-Ubisoft propaganda.

Probably Ubi requires certain namedrops or otherwise gets to give some notes but it seems they've managed to otherwise keep them at arms length. Before anything they have to make an entertaining show that doesn't feel like its pandering to corporate overlords. Apple also probably gets to strike off anything that appears to be blatant Ubi marketing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That would still be a really bizarre reference even if anyone actually cared about that game because that "mega-franchise" consists of one game that's been out for less than a year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nate fisher posted:

Trailer for the Anthony Bourdain documentary Roadrunner. It seems like this is not a case of the same day on HBO Max as the theater release. Watching the trailer reminds me how much I miss watching his show.

gently caress, gonna need a couple boxes of tissues next to me when I watch this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still like his old Food Network show the best. It's a little more shallow since it doesn't really dive into any serious issues and instead focuses on the food but it was really cool seeing him experience new countries for first time. By the time he was doing the CNN show he had already been around the world like 50 times. I swear he made a dozen episodes about Tokyo and it got into serious retread territory.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I still like his old Food Network show the best. It's a little more shallow since it doesn't really dive into any serious issues and instead focuses on the food but it was really cool seeing him experience new countries for first time. By the time he was doing the CNN show he had already been around the world like 50 times. I swear he made a dozen episodes about Tokyo and it got into serious retread territory.

The funnest bit of A Cook's Tour for me was when he went to London and met a pre-fame Gordon Ramsey, and seeing young(ish) Bourdain and Ramsey interact without a lot of the affected personality that both would later develop as they broke out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaaIVtkAkDM

the whole ep is worth a watch. and gently caress does it make me envious

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Having not read the comics, Jupiter's Legacy felt like they planned a long run and didn't want to burn though limited original material too fast, which led to taking two stories that could have been told in an hour each and stretching them out to a full season. Also intercut for some stupid reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I honestly don't think it mattered how they constructed the series because all the marketing content was also crappy.

The production looked cheap as poo poo and I was turned off quite a bit by the trailers because production design said low effort parody while subject matter said played straight.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Having not read the comics, Jupiter's Legacy felt like they planned a long run and didn't want to burn though limited original material too fast, which led to taking two stories that could have been told in an hour each and stretching them out to a full season. Also intercut for some stupid reason.

Yeah, this for sure. I'd read the comics and didn't get to the show right away so I kept grilling my brother to see if anything happened yet. They never even got to the main plot beat that was in issue 3 of the comics.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bull3964 posted:

I honestly don't think it mattered how they constructed the series because all the marketing content was also crappy.

The production looked cheap as poo poo and I was turned off quite a bit by the trailers because production design said low effort parody while subject matter said played straight.

Yup. Every time I scrolled by it the cover/full page photo looked like they belonged on The Orville

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mcbexx posted:

Hyperscape sounds like a made up video game for CSI or something, and upon googling it, it looks like one too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

nate fisher posted:

That's because Focus Features is an NBCUniversal company.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Arist posted:

That would still be a really bizarre reference even if anyone actually cared about that game because that "mega-franchise" consists of one game that's been out for less than a year.

The character was more listing battle royale games because he wanted other characters to put a battle royale mode in their game. It's still dumb product placement but it makes more sense in the story, also the character isn't a gamer but just wants ways to get people to buy loot boxes.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

isaboo posted:

Been binging through Mr Inbetween. S1 was alright but S2 is a big step up imo.

This thread strikes again. Heard so much good I've been giving her a go and I freaking LOVE IT except now I'm worried about a friend of mine as we watched the anger counseling scene. Only on season 1 but really effin good and excited to see a better season 2 since I have found season 1 among the best shows I have watched in these covid times. Thanks goons yet again for an amazing recco.

Is Ted Lasso available to Canadian goons? You guys keep mentioning it. Still wish "Abandoned" had another season on Crave as I'm dying for a road trip but waiting my turn for a vaccine and it's taking a while.

Wafflecop posted:

Makes my time spent watching the show an even bigger waste than it felt. Some of the most atrocious pacing I have experienced in a show. They could have cut episodes 2-5 out completely. It would've been far better to do all of the 1920s stuff in one go rather than dragged out over the whole season.

Oh well, there are plenty of shows about evil-Superman out now that are doing this a million times better. Nothing of value has been lost.

Agreed. Cheap looking and NOTHING special. Shadow and Bone wasn't perfect but at least it was somewhat different than a bunch of other better shows. I think the only reason people enjoyed Altered Carbon season 1 so much was that it was different. Still think the worst crime any show can make is not necessarily to be bad but just bland and boring. Jupiter's Legacy was boring as gently caress and the "twist" at the end of the true bad guy was so groanworthy and made me hate the show; especially because it invalidates that earlier scene of him "endangering" himself to go into the bad guy telepathically. So Mr Mastermind fakes the danger, brings in his daughter to help and then actually goes inside a dying mind and has a chance to die...for reasons? Just fake it and then fall to the floor since he was already deceiving everyone. You might be able to excuse "no other way to bring his daughter/telepath assassin near him" but really... no. It was dumb. Also backing up the aging special effects were high school terrible. Also in high school I had a teacher that showed me you could soften the lighting and use black and white film or a colour filter (sepia) to hide wrinkles and ageing if you couldn't afford to cast old and young seperate actors and use wigs and fake beards that weren't ridiculous. That was in the mid 00s so Netflix with giant rear end budgets has no excuse. Nothing of value was lost indeed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DogsInSpace! posted:

Is Ted Lasso available to Canadian goons?

It’s on Apple TV+ and also is fuckin great

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I believe him since he's the one guy powerful enough to not give a gently caress about repercussions. Explains why the finale sucked rear end too. The optics of the one white lady getting the spinoff out of all the characters is really bad.

I read his statement about someone getting a spin-off, I couldn't remember the characters name, then when I saw the line "the only white member of the main cast" it blew my loving mind she's getting a show. The bar for Canadian sitcoms is low but she was easily the least interesting character in the entire show. Even the dopey car wash guy had more charisma then her.

Kind of get the feeling the showrunners just dropped the show like that for the same reasons he complained about.

Good on him as the new Marvel hero. Even if the movie does okay, they're still setting up Phase 3 or whatever they're on and he'll be getting good work for the next few years for sure.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
From what's been said I think the spin-off was intended to run concurrently with KIM'S CONVENIENCE, but then that show wrapped up sooner than was intended which just left that. It was still ridiculous though, like deciding to make a show about the continuing adventures of Gunther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
score a point for Peacock from me: you can set your profile picture to shawn and gus from Psych :discourse: