Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Upon further reflection when I’m less grumpy and sleep deprived I rescind my IIMM, Zombie in a zombie movie is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ubachung posted:

lol you're congratulating the OP for being helpful and friendly to themselves.

lol I didn't even notice but yeah, you're right, my bad. they should've known better I guess?

my point still stands though because this poo poo happens all the loving time in this thread where someone points out something noteworthy and people jump on them because they didn't use the right words while it's perfectly clear what they mean.

like, that's not how you have a conversation, is it? instead of talking about cool movie stuff it devolves into a score pointing match as if we're in a debate club trying to win instead of having fun talking about movies, you know?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Taeke posted:

lol I didn't even notice but yeah, you're right, my bad. they should've known better I guess?

my point still stands though because this poo poo happens all the loving time in this thread where someone points out something noteworthy and people jump on them because they didn't use the right words while it's perfectly clear what they mean.

like, that's not how you have a conversation, is it? instead of talking about cool movie stuff it devolves into a score pointing match as if we're in a debate club trying to win instead of having fun talking about movies, you know?

I will always make fun of someone for thinking a movie doing what it tells you it will is a twist

Because that's exactly the opposite of a twist

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I won :20bux: on a bet for AotD cause I knew it was a Snyder film, there'd be a zombie baby.

Movie still kinda sucked though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Zombie the Holy poo poo, Piss cranberries song or is that a different one?

It's a Chinese cover of Dreams by Gabrielle

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Len posted:

I will always make fun of someone for thinking a movie doing what it tells you it will is a twist

Because that's exactly the opposite of a twist

Oh cmon, you can hear the execs elbowing each other in the ribs and going "get it, get it? Cause they're soldiers!"..it definitely sounded tongue in cheek to me. Also yeah my bad, I thought you could use the word "pun" to indicate wordplay, but I was wrong. English is not my native language :v:

Anyway, back to IIMM in Army of the Dead: I get that the villain's plan is to have his henchman kill everyone and fly away alone...but why didn't the pilot immediately notice that something fishy was going on when their escape helo is not only not large enough to move the money, but too small to carry the whole group out?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dumbest part of the villain's plan in Army of the Dead is that he didn't need to do the whole fake out heist plan since the rest of the crew had absolutely nothing to do with his stealing the head. In fact they didn't even need to go anywhere since he could have actually done it right by the entrance when they first see the smart zombies. Also unrelated to that there's the whole thing with the daughter and the only reason she goes along is to find the lady from the camp, except partway through the ending said lady just kind of disappears and we don't know if she even survived the crash.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

muscles like this! posted:

The dumbest part of the villain's plan in Army of the Dead is that he didn't need to do the whole fake out heist plan since the rest of the crew had absolutely nothing to do with his stealing the head. In fact they didn't even need to go anywhere since he could have actually done it right by the entrance when they first see the smart zombies. Also unrelated to that there's the whole thing with the daughter and the only reason she goes along is to find the lady from the camp, except partway through the ending said lady just kind of disappears and we don't know if she even survived the crash.
Hell the villain could have just told them the truth and offer them millions to recover the head. And if he wanted secrecy, have them killed by his private army when they returned, instead of relying on a single dependable enchman (nobody trusted) to do the deed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

*To be explained in the anime adaption that runs concurrently with the film.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Zombie the Holy poo poo, Piss cranberries song or is that a different one?

nah that's Dreams

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was the writing better in earlier seasons of Orange Is the New Black, or were the writers just trying to wrap poo poo up by the next-to-last season? Characters who actually had a brain the previous seasons drop everything to be loving idiots. Why anyone expects Loosecheck to do anything correct at all is insanely stupid. Why did NO ONE in the loving pool actually tell any of the interrogators they let Piscatella leave alive and he wasn't even down there during the shootout? Why the gently caress does Piper keep thinking the guards are going to help her because she is pretty and white? They couldn't have let her keep her gap tooth thing going more than an episode?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That show has always bugged me from the beginning. I get it's not trying to be a gritty realistic prison show, but at the same time it's hard to ignore that it's like the worst run prison on earth. It's basically daycare for adult women where the guards pretty much take a "hey don't do that" approach.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pretty much all prison shows are set in the sloppiest, most corrupt prisons ever.

Which, tbf, seems to be actual reality considering how often you hear about stuff happening in prison that shouldn't happen.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pretty much all prison shows are set in the sloppiest, most corrupt prisons ever.

Which, tbf, seems to be actual reality considering how often you hear about stuff happening in prison that shouldn't happen.
My roommate used to be a prison guard, and to hear him tell it, the whole place was basically held together by duct tape and wishes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh that part I don't doubt. What I find insanely dumb, at least for OITNB, is how loving dumb so many of the inmates are. I don't mean like "stole something in front of a CO" dumb, I mean like "I will go to a CO who clearly hates all inmates and try to talk to him like I am his manager. Oh, another inmate put drugs in my bunk, I'll take them to a CO and tell them what happened!"

Even in Max, most of the inmates act like it's a summer camp.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My IMM is that the first 10 minutes or so of Wonder Woman 84 was campy, optimistic and cheesy and I loved it. It reminded me a bit of the Reeve's Superman movies.

Then it just... well, really shits the bed. If her being a rapist wasn't bad enough, the last 30 minutes of an already too-long movie were so very boring.

How're you going to have a climactic battle with Cheetah (in a grey motif) against an all concrete and steal background. They didn't even make WW's golden armor pop in that scene. It drove me nuts how drab it all was.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just don't get WHY they had to have her bf show up in another dude's body. Did anyone else's wish work like that? "I wish my dog was back alive!" And someone else's dog turns into yours?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea they kinda had to go way outta the way to make it extra creepy.

Loved the beginning. Did not love the rest.

The ending was especially ill timed considering the entire attitude towards covid at the time.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just don't get WHY they had to have her bf show up in another dude's body. Did anyone else's wish work like that? "I wish my dog was back alive!" And someone else's dog turns into yours?

Yeah there had to be a few people who wished things like

" sure wish my toddler didn't have incurable brain cancer "
Or
" man, having a micropenis blows. Wish I had a 9 incher"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
“You think I wished for a 9 inch pianist!?”

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The DC cinematic universe had Superman's arrival being the first supernatural thing the whole world takes notice of, so everyone just forgot about the Global Wish Apocalypse of '84.

Also, what's the point of having a movie in 1984 if you're not going to play 80s music?

Bussamove posted:

Upon further reflection when I’m less grumpy and sleep deprived I rescind my IIMM, Zombie in a zombie movie is awesome.

So you're saying were in an irrational mood, and a movie moment irritated you?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My favorite sequence in Wonder Woman 84 is:

-Them deciding they need to fly Cairo(?) and that they need to steal a plane.
-Stealing the plane from a museum, which inexplicably keeps it fueled and flight ready. Also Steve, a WW1 pilot, is capable of flying this modern jet no problem.
-Wonder Woman turns the entire plane invisible at takeoff to escape security. This ability is never used again for the rest of the film, nor is it ever hinted beforehand that she can do this.
-They fly through fireworks despite that being a really, really terrible idea

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cowslips Warren posted:

wh-what are you doing, step-wonder woman?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah there had to be a few people who wished things like

" sure wish my toddler didn't have incurable brain cancer "

they end up with a replacement toddler who's healthy, and presumably their original toddler gets foisted off on a parent who wished their kids would shut up for one goddamn second

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I did enjoy the running joke of everyone wishing for Porsches (Ferraris? Who can be bothered to remember). That was one of the actually funny bits.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Seoul Station, the animated prequel to Train to Busan. I have never wanted everyone to die as much as I have during that film. The unsympathetic characters are terrible and deserve it, and the sympathetic characters are so dogshit stupid i couldn't pretend they deserved to live. When you run through three or four separate doorways and the zombies are still 50 feet away just... close them. Close the loving doors. Also the standard zombie trope of no one just lying and just pretending it's rabies or some poo poo when they know people won't believe them, always insisting that's its zombies and denying they're crazy many, many times in a row without learning.

Spoiler:
actually the homeless guy who almost made it was pretty decent

Big spoilerthey all died

mmj has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Jun 1, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing I feel like I learned from 2020 was that, actually, a lot of the human behavior I previously thought was "unrealistic" among the survivors in zombie movies was, if anything, understated. It appears that 30-40% of the population really is that goddamn homicidally selfish and suicidally stupid. They actually will lie about not being infected, intentionally sabotage common sense prevention methods, deny there even is a problem as the dead pile up in the streets, and then refuse to take the magic cure even if it's freely offered to them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If anything zombie movies need to be updated to have people running into the zombie mobs, screaming that it's a hoax/they are crisis actors/you can't take away my freeeeeeedom!

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Imagined posted:

One thing I feel like I learned from 2020 was that, actually, a lot of the human behavior I previously thought was "unrealistic" among the survivors in zombie movies was, if anything, understated. It appears that 30-40% of the population really is that goddamn homicidally selfish and suicidally stupid. They actually will lie about not being infected, intentionally sabotage common sense prevention methods, deny there even is a problem as the dead pile up in the streets, and then refuse to take the magic cure even if it's freely offered to them.

It's a South Korean film so there might some cultural references/shorthand that I don't get and it feels off as a result. The problem I had wasn't that some people went death cult, I get that, but people trying to survive were just incapable of making a decision that wasn't awful. I guess terrible decisions are a staple of every zombie movie but these just felt particularly terrible.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mmj posted:

Big spoiler I loved the ending

I don't know, man. While I understand frustration at the actions of the protagonist, having a sex trafficking victim turn into a zombie while crying and being raped seemed a little harsh

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

rydiafan posted:

I don't know, man. While I understand frustration at the actions of the protagonist, having a sex trafficking victim turn into a zombie while crying and being raped seemed a little harsh

Sorry, I definitely didn't mean it that way and I'll edit the wording.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Wasn't there a Spider-man arc where he accidentally punches some random petty criminal with full strength and kills him? Or is that the Doc Ock one?

It was one where Doc Ock had switched brains with spider-man. After he punches through some guys face he realizes that spider-man had been taking it easy on him the whole time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

On a similar note, David Hayter retweeted a screenwriter shortly after Jan 6th who said something like "One of the biggest problems in writing used to be coming up with a convincing way for terrorists to seize a government facility. Turns out they can just walk in."

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Sunswipe posted:

On a similar note, David Hayter retweeted a screenwriter shortly after Jan 6th who said something like "One of the biggest problems in writing used to be coming up with a convincing way for terrorists to seize a government facility. Turns out they can just walk in."

this is contingent on the terrorists not actually having goals that conflict too badly with those of the united states government though

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

somepartsareme posted:

this is contingent on the terrorists not actually having goals that conflict too badly with those of the united states government though

Well, they're terrorists. How different can their goals be?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Magi guys in The Mummy (the good one, not the one that has dr jekyll/hyde in it for some reason) really weren't very good at their job. When they were camped out at the mummy city thing, it looked like they easily had the numbers to kill everyone or at least hold them prisoner until they could find who had the key. Instead they for some reason gave them a day to get out of there, and of course the idiots opened up everything and let the mummy out. They could have at least said "hey, don't let the mummy out" and "hey don't read any spooky looking books while you're in there" instead of their cryptic "leave here or die". Or here's an idea: over the course of the thousands of years as technology gets more advanced, go get the sarcophagus and put it somewhere more secure so even if someone had the key they couldn't get in.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The only less good Mummy is the dragon one. The first two are art.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Biplane posted:

The only less good Mummy is the dragon one. The first two are art.

I mean the "reboot" with Tom Cruise is the bad one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Magi guys in The Mummy (the good one, not the one that has dr jekyll/hyde in it for some reason) really weren't very good at their job. When they were camped out at the mummy city thing, it looked like they easily had the numbers to kill everyone or at least hold them prisoner until they could find who had the key. Instead they for some reason gave them a day to get out of there, and of course the idiots opened up everything and let the mummy out. They could have at least said "hey, don't let the mummy out" and "hey don't read any spooky looking books while you're in there" instead of their cryptic "leave here or die". Or here's an idea: over the course of the thousands of years as technology gets more advanced, go get the sarcophagus and put it somewhere more secure so even if someone had the key they couldn't get in.
How often do they really have to defend the tomb from interlopers? After thousands of years the Magi are most likely just a social club who drink down at the hall, tell each other the same three stories, and hide from their wives. Like the Masons or something. They're probably insanely underperpared for the Mummy actually coming to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you tell people magic exists and they need to not mess with it, they’re gonna get waaaay more interested in it than they are ‘random desert holy site #417’.