Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Simiain posted:

Seems heavily implied that one of the dalmations, Genghis, is pregnant at the end, and that Perdita and Pongo are the pups. This would seem to have incestuous implications for Dalmations lore going forward but, hey, maybe thats how dog-breeding works?

Pretty sure that is exactly how Dalmatian breeding works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

is it a bad or good movie. cgis dogs sound like an auto fail
excuse me, Ang Lee's Hulk rules

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just watched it and Emma stone carried, could have been worse

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Google Butt posted:

is it a bad or good movie. cgis dogs sound like an auto fail

It's a soulless husk of a movie with some occasional good performances and a costume design department the size of the GDP of a minor nation.

Personal frustration. This movie thoroughly suffered from the aqua-man thing where outside wide shots were CGI even when they didn't need to and look garbage. The ending confrontation especially looks awkward and flat as gently caress. It's incredible that this is the Disney that made the Mandalarion two years ago.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Golden Retrievers are the real bad guys. The happy dumb act isn’t fooling me.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Maybe the real bad guys are the friends we made along the way. - M. Night Shyamalan

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The MSJ posted:

If you the want the most up to date rear end in a top hat Cruella, watcch the episodes of Once Upon A Time she was in.

There’s a sequel series to the original movie called 101 Dalmatian Street that also is pretty forthright with Cruella being a huge rear end in a top hat.

https://youtu.be/47PXqnfoNfU

(The series itself wasn’t good enough to watch if you weren’t in the target demographic. Catchy opening though.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The point is to tell a new story, but a new story that exists in an established universe with a known character. It's the most 2021 poo poo you've ever seen. We can't just make up somebody, we have to find an already existing character. And we can't just have them be evil, they have to have some redeeming qualities. If these two impulses conflict in any way, just handwave that away, because, gently caress it, there's loving money to be made.

I think it's just that wanting to kill cute dogs is so irredeemable to modern day audiences, way more than wanting to kill people, that there was no way to actually have the character end up as the same character in the original movie. She's literally 100% a good guy in this movie. She does nothing bad at all in the whole film lol.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean Disney totally could have actually gone for humanizing the dog killer and then pull the rug out from under the audience, but that would have required an actual artistic ambition.

I mean they try to establish some sort of moral conflict but even that falls flat because at worst Cruella is a dick to her friends and the duchess by comparison is a complete monster wearing a skin-suit.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I mean the baroness is literally a serial killer and cruella can't even murk a fake dog, sad

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The MSJ posted:

If you the want the most up to date rear end in a top hat Cruella, watcch the episodes of Once Upon A Time she was in.

That show was once on my watch list but I never got around to it and had since forgotten about it. How is it? Is it worth watching now?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mcmagic posted:

I think it's just that wanting to kill cute dogs is so irredeemable to modern day audiences, way more than wanting to kill people, that there was no way to actually have the character end up as the same character in the original movie. She's literally 100% a good guy in this movie. She does nothing bad at all in the whole film lol.

Yet people keep bringing up that she is a dog killer in the movie. It's like with Joker. Lots of 'this is a love letter to incels and we are gonna have a mass shooting because of movie!!!!" comments back then.

I was honestly expecting people losing their poo poo instead over the One Gay Character (TM by Disney). :shrug:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cruella is a lot of fun, but would be way better if it was the same movie but not about Cruella de Vil. The second hour also drags a bit. But it's The Devil Wears Prada on crack, and I mean that as a compliment. It does enough of its own thing well enough to not bother me, not unlike Maleficent.

At this rate, I wouldn't even complain if Disney just gave all of their villains the Wicked treatment. So far their success rate is streets ahead of the straight live action remakes. If they can pull it off with imo arguably the two most irredeemable villains on the roster, the rest should be ezpz. At least these movies do something different.

Jolo posted:

Nina West would kill it as Ursula. She co hosted a Drag Queen Christmas show I went to a while back with Monet XChange and she was excellent.

Ginger Minj is my pick, she got dem pipes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

esperterra posted:

At this rate, I wouldn't even complain if Disney just gave all of their villains the Wicked treatment. So far their success rate is streets ahead of the straight live action remakes. If they can pull it off with imo arguably the two most irredeemable villains on the roster, the rest should be ezpz. At least these movies do something different.
Now that they own Star Wars they could even do an epic three movie origin story for Darth Vader!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

esperterra posted:

Ginger Minj is my pick, she got dem pipes.

I'm definitely buying a ticket.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a 101 Dalmatians cartoon on Disney's One Saturday Morning block back in the 90s and I'm wondering why they never put it on Disney+. I wonder how it holds up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

So...Jupiter's Legacy is not getting a second season, and got the cancelled hammer.

Not surprised!:shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

So...Jupiter's Legacy is not getting a second season, and got the cancelled hammer.

But Netflix then orders a series about the villains.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm surprised they had the guts to do that. Show was a complete disaster.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The MSJ posted:

But Netflix then orders a series about the villains.

And anime too!!!

It's gonna be hilarious if both flop too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

On a whim for the last week we watched what turned out to be nothing but mirthless garbage
Please don't be us and skip the following ...
All those Conjuring movies moreso any of the Annabelle movies
Fast and tge Furious present(wtf?) Hobbes and Shaw
We never seen any of the FF movies but I don't want to find out they are worse this was torture

We did see one great movie by mistake God bless you HBO for having Troll 2 the movie devoid of trolls

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hobbs & Shaw does feel a lot like Dwayne Johnson pulling a Sandler to go on an expensive vacation with some friends, but gently caress me if it isn't an excellent 4K HDR showcase. Statham's stubble looks so sharp

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It made me angry that one John Wick director and Elba could make such a boring slog with no tension. I'm similar when dragged to see Transformers I'll just start yelling "no tuttoro/Goodman get outta here! Your better than this!"

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hobbes doesn't work without Calvin.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The idea of watching Hobbes and Shaw and having absolutely no context for anything or anyone is incredibly funny.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

The idea of watching Hobbes and Shaw and having absolutely no context for anything or anyone is incredibly funny.

I can't imagine from what little character development the movie had that seeing the others would enhance the understanding at all.
Rock plays a supercop of some sort and Jason is a baddie but not like a real baddie, baddie and his sister is a super cop.
What nuance am I missing? They all seem as durable and superhuman as Captain America.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

I can't imagine from what little character development the movie had that seeing the others would enhance the understanding at all.
Rock plays a supercop of some sort and Jason is a baddie but not like a real baddie, baddie and his sister is a super cop.
What nuance am I missing? They all seem as durable and superhuman as Captain America.

You can understand the plot just fine but the characters have been gradually turning into absurd cartoons over the course of like three or four movies so there's a progression there you're missing. Like, when you've seen the previous films it makes total sense that Hobbs would just jump out the window of a skyscraper, it's totally natural to the type of ridiculous character he's become.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
You arent missing any nuance really. Even as F&F fan I didnt care for the movie. Its just pretty much made specifically as a response to the fandoms desire to see a team up movie with those two characters based on their chemistry and history in previous movies. You have to be pretty into the style and general tone of those movies to enjoy it so going in with no idea as to how that franchise operates now is pretty funny.

My guess is you probably would not enjoy any of the modern F&F films.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I thought Bo Burnham - Inside was really great. I'm not usually into musical comedy but this was clever.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the Highlander series worth watching? I was going to watch a few of the movies again and never saw the show. It's on peacock and I thought it was pretty well liked back in the day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the Highlander series worth watching? I was going to watch a few of the movies again and never saw the show. It's on peacock and I thought it was pretty well liked back in the day.

I love it, but i have a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in the movie and show as well. It's very of its time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kingtheninja posted:

It has been uh I guess decades now since I last watched it but it was memorable enough for me that I thought about revisiting it recently (but never got around to it). It's campy but I always thought Adrian Paul was great in it and all the flashbacks to different places and eras was always fun. The fight choreography is pretty good for a 90's tv show. The show was solid imho right up until one of the leads left at the end of the 5th season.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

The acting is pretty decent but I think it really just boils down to how much you enjoy the immortals scheming against one another culminating in mediocre sword duels convention. If you like that conceit and can stomach the 90s feel, it's pretty good.

E: also I agree with the above poster that Adrian Paul is really great in the role. He's an actor I really would have liked to see get more work. I read once that he was in the running for Bond but it went to Pierce Brosnan. Paul would have been a great Bond in the latest gen films I think. He's got that same dark charisma that Craig has.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's zero chance I would have watched Lodge 49 without this thread's recommendation, so thanks! The way it treats some obviously supernatural happenings as mundane is really cool. There's some mystical element, but it's just background to the characters' stories. I just finished the first season, but I expected the lodge members to be a secret cult but no, they really are just ordinary, genuine people.

I watched Odd Thomas which was a good plot held back by just the worst acting. Anton Yelchin was allegedly able to act (RIP), but here it sounds like he's trying and failing to sound like a pulp detective? And his girlfriend's attempt at that was even worse. Afterwards I saw it's based on a novel by Dean Koontz, and I haven't read any of his work but the character of Odd Thomas felt completely like a Mary Sue.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

E: also I agree with the above poster that Adrian Paul is really great in the role. He's an actor I really would have liked to see get more work. I read once that he was in the running for Bond but it went to Pierce Brosnan. Paul would have been a great Bond in the latest gen films I think. He's got that same dark charisma that Craig has.

:same:

I always felt so bad that Adrian Paul's career never really took off and after the Highlander show ended he just went on to do a couple lovely Highlander TV movies and a bunch of other dreck. Dude had range and a whole lot of actual martial art skills in addition to being a legit hunk. Maybe he was a jerk irl or something.

drat ok I need to rewatch this show again

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The show's first season(or maybe first two seasons?) is actually very high quality t.v. for the time because they filmed a bunch of it in Paris. It has a unique look to it because of the setting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

You can understand the plot just fine but the characters have been gradually turning into absurd cartoons over the course of like three or four movies so there's a progression there you're missing. Like, when you've seen the previous films it makes total sense that Hobbs would just jump out the window of a skyscraper, it's totally natural to the type of ridiculous character he's become.
That part was separately hilarious to me as a tie-in to his character in The Other Guys. H&S is a movie where they "aim for the bushes" and it works.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LifeLynx posted:

There's zero chance I would have watched Lodge 49 without this thread's recommendation, so thanks! The way it treats some obviously supernatural happenings as mundane is really cool. There's some mystical element, but it's just background to the characters' stories. I just finished the first season, but I expected the lodge members to be a secret cult but no, they really are just ordinary, genuine people.

The commercials I thought he was just some lazy scammer who conned his way into living in a retirement community or something.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

LifeLynx posted:

The way I've described it to others is if Twin Peaks was set in Southern California and no one really cared about the mysteries. Which is probably not a great way to get people to watch, but there really isn't a good comparison. It was nice seeing a show with mysterious elements but not having that be the focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

There is no way i'm gonna watch FF stuff that has Vin in it. Fool me once Witch hunter!