Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

When you say Mongoose's Paranoia do you mean the most recent White Box or do you mean XP/25th Anniversary.

I had no idea there was a white box. I was talking about this vs this.

Phone posting so I hope I linked those correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bumper Stickup posted:

Acute looks like a supplement to the Starter Set, but seriously you should just buy XP Service Pack 1, it's going to be wayyyyyyyyyyyy better.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said, come to think of it, it'd probably work well in PbtA. Just have 'failure', 'success' and 'catastrophic success'.

This is the core mechanic of Grant Howitt's Nice Marines 40K spoof. Your cybernetically enhanced genetically engineered death machine might be able to negotiate a treaty, but it's probably going to be messy.

Nice Marines owns.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

CitizenKeen posted:

Now I'm thinking of a crunchy game like Invisible, Inc., where the three main game modes are social engineering, group hacking, and stealth. You can attack people, but it better be a quick-tap-hide-the-body kind of violence, because any real combat could raise the alarm.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/Invisible_Inc/

Yeah, a Heist game is the perfect example of what you're after for a thing that focuses on everything but the fighting, because that should only come in as a failure state.

bewilderment posted:

That's not actually how Lancer works.

It's just plain "player takes a turn, then an enemy takes a turn" and both PCs and enemy can go in any order they want, until one side has all gone and then you finish up resolving the other side.

I mean you're still 90% correct, it's just that players always go first in a round. The only exception to this rule is a Veteran-template enemy that's been given the Viper's Speed trait.

No, they don't. pg 60 of the book, "The turn order continues to alternate, so if one side took the last turn in the previous round, the other side starts the new round. This can result in hostile NPCs acting first in a new round." Players always get the very first round of the entire combat, unless someone has Viper's Speed, but otherwise it works exactly as Hostile V described, with the disadvantaged side going first in rounds after the first one, which can end up as the GM going first once players outnumber the enemies.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

EverettLO posted:

It's gonna be six weeks before I stop clicking on Private Games Server out of muscle memory.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bumper Stickup posted:

Acute's fine. The latter is the bad one from Mongoose. Acute is just d20s and then the new Red Clearance/White Box one has dice and also cards for environmental/actions/narrative twists/equipment. In short they are very different on a mechanical level but Acute/XP has way more support and variety in missions and books and the latter...doesn't and has many problems.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've always liked mechanics focused on organizational management- like, running a noble house or a crime organization. BitD is an obvious example though that also has heists and combat and such, the first Dune RPG had some stuff for looking at the health of your minor house, the ASoIaF RPG has some stuff for that too. There are plenty of board and video games based on running something and I think a collaborative RPG is also a good setting for that.

Or Wicked Ones for that matter

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Is Reign still the gold standard for org management?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Reign still the gold standard for org management?
HarnManor :getin:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
::snorts warpstone:: We're gonna have so many fuckin bushels of rye

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My game parlor opens back up Friday. I can't wait to have the weekly game sessions again. I've already touched base with my pre-covid group and we're all vaccinated and fine with going again

With any luck between this starting back up, soon to start therapy, and soon to start medication I'll start to bounce out of this slump.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

potatocubed posted:

Creative writing prompts are game design. They're just design for games that TC there doesn't like.

I'm being facetious, and more than a little at my own expense given how much debt I went into to get formal training in creative writing.

It's not actually a relevant criticism of PBTA games or BITD or whatever to say that nobody would care about the mechanics shorn of the narrative, even though it's true, because nobody actually encounters the game like that.

What is relevant is that D&D baits the hook for people who aren't interested (or at least aren't solely interested) in the mechanical experience and most of these games don't do the reverse -- something I generally approve of, in that I've probably got two or three pages of posts in here about how games are better when they're focused on a particular audience and experience instead of pretending to be something they're not.

There's just a certain irony in how the only people who really seem to understand the thing about focus are the people who (rightly, to the betterment of their games!) exclude me from their audience.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

New OP. Time.
Is Laird Barron any good?
Is violence needdd?
Does violence need death?
II think I might open a food truck. Does a German food truck sound bad?? Might also sell like mittens and stuff.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the cubes gang tag a reference to?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Eurogames love cubes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is Laird Barron any good?

Short answer: Yes.

But try his free writings and see what you think. https://www.freesfonline.net/authors/Laird_Barron.html

I recommend Shiva, Open Your Eye, The Forest, Frontier Death Song and Blackwood’s Baby. Don't like one? Jump to another one in the list. They are all quite different.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Acerbatus posted:

What is the cubes gang tag a reference to?

specifically it's a meme someone made like a decade ago in the board game thread with one of the aliens from Eclipse saying it, because we all love and demand cubes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having not played Eclipse I was horrified when, years later, i was told the pictured alien race wasn't even particularly interested in cubes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Countblanc posted:

having not played Eclipse I was horrified when, years later, i was told the pictured alien race wasn't even particularly interested in cubes.

A shameful stain on the tg forum's otherwise sterling record

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We gotta go to Bendigo to get me cube

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Discussions about Paranoia tend to turn into impromptu games of it for a reason, I think one of the books itself specifically says Alpha Complex is more of a frame of mind than a setting.

That said, come to think of it, it'd probably work well in PbtA. Just have 'failure', 'success' and 'catastrophic success'.

Honestly, speaking from the experience of having a GM run it with a custom rule set, Paranoia is one of the only games where critical failure on rolls presents a very good idea. We all about died laughing when a series of three in a row by separate people caused a massive explosion and TPK in the elevator we were trying to fix. A certain baseline incompetence in troubleshooters definitely added to the experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly, speaking from the experience of having a GM run it with a custom rule set, Paranoia is one of the only games where critical failure on rolls presents a very good idea. We all about died laughing when a series of three in a row by separate people caused a massive explosion and TPK in the elevator we were trying to fix. A certain baseline incompetence in troubleshooters definitely added to the experience.

Paranoia is a game about cartoon hijinks, though, so a chance for escalating, insane cartoon hijinks being built into everything is completely on point.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Night10194 posted:

Paranoia is a game about cartoon hijinks, though, so a chance for escalating, insane cartoon hijinks being built into everything is completely on point.

Paranoia rules.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022

Marvel's back in the TTRPG business.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Like everything else they do that isn't movies, I assume that they're doing this because it's cheap marketing for the movies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Written and co-designed by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck (The Marvel Encyclopedia, Dungeons & Dragons: Endless Quest), the MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: PLAYTEST RULEBOOK will introduce players to the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

quote:

Use the all-new D616 game system to embody your favorite Super Heroes and Super Villains like never before!
wow glad to see Zocchi has been brought on to help design a new RPG

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ha ha ha holy poo poo I was gonna make a joke about the new 5th edition compatible marvel splat until I saw the brag about a new system. I figured the new dice system was at least a good idea. It's even better that it's a d&d alike.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

wow glad to see Zocchi has been brought on to help design a new RPG

"Earth-616" is the in-universe designation of the "main" canon comic reality, like how in DC comic's it's Earth-1, so most likely it's just being cute and meta instead of promising to use a golfball-shaped die. I'm not really enthused by the other scant details around the game though:

quote:

Written and co-designed by award-winning and New York Times best-selling author Matt Forbeck (The Marvel Encyclopedia, Dungeons & Dragons: Endless Quest), the MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: PLAYTEST RULEBOOK will introduce players to the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!

Marvel and tabletop RPG fans who pick up and play the PLAYTEST RULEBOOK will have an opportunity to help shape the game with a chance to offer feedback on the rules before its full release in 2023! More details will be coming soon.

Stay tuned for more information this fall about the MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: PLAYTEST RULEBOOK.

It's being written and co-designed by a guy who designed Brave New World.

Sounds to me like they're also planning on printing and selling playtest books before the final book is published, too, like Pathfinder did.

e- If anyone forgot what Brave New World is, it's a perfect composite of 90s Edgy Superhero Metaplot RPG bullshit. An alt reality where superheroes are really, JFK survived his assassination and became forever-president over the fascist USA, and some other junk.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 4, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I'm amazed at the propensity of the biggest companies in the tabletop business to keep putting out games that don't improve on rulesets from the 80s.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm amazed at the propensity of the biggest companies in the tabletop business to keep putting out games that don't improve on rulesets from the 80s.

Know your audience, please your audience.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Even skipping over the edginess of BNW, the mechanics were dogshit as well. It's the worst superhero game I've ever encountered and I've played Champions and Heroes Unlimited.

I mean, Forbeck might still pull something good out of his back pocket but the stat line spelling out 'marvel' and the d616 thing suggest that gameplay was not top of the priority list.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
That's just it, they're not really going for an audience of grognards. If anything, the audience for the rules is Mike Mearls. They're relying on people putting up with poo poo rules because they listened to some APs or watched Stranger Things and want to try out D&D.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think from Forbeck's point of view this is his chance to get a writing gig on a Marvel title.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

potatocubed posted:

Even skipping over the edginess of BNW, the mechanics were dogshit as well. It's the worst superhero game I've ever encountered and I've played Champions and Heroes Unlimited.
IIRC, it was a superhero game that didn't let you build your superpowers. There were a handful of pre-defined power packages (Brick, Flier, Blaster, Gadgeteer, etc.) and you picked one for your character and that was it.

BNW was the worst of the 1990s Metaplot Era games. The books themselves were half in-character setting fiction (and they were laid out with big fonts and lots of whitespace, like a freshman trying to stretch a 7 page paper into a 10 pager by fiddling with the settings), the giant metaplot drove everything (important NPCs did all the important things), the setting was full of Deep Secrets that were kept from the GM until he had bought a zillions supplements over the course of several years, the mechanics were trivially breakable - it had every RPG design pathology of its time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I think it was Kurt Busiek who said that getting into writing comics is like getting out of prison--no two people do it the same way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Why put time and money into making something good when it's just a cheap cash-in/marketing for the films?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2021

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The last time Marvel tried to keep RPG writing in house it ended up an intriguing, broken mess that I and a number of people have broken their brains trying to fix. This doesn't appear to show the same kind of willingness to push the envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Yeah, I'd like to praise the token-based system of the 2003 Marvel Universe game for being innovative, but System Mastery got into how it immediately falls apart in play. I don't think it could be fixed.