Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks, will do! Also, what method are you using for pour-over these days? I'd like to take more advantage of the Niche but have been doing 4:6 for so long that I've forgotten everything else.

I use Scott Rao's updated pour-over technique. Here's a video of him explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

In the video, he's using a Kalita Wave but mentions that the technique works great on a V60 or Stagg X dripper too. Particularly pay attention to the section on pour height, as that part helped improve my results a lot. I think the only modification I made is a longer swirl during the bloom phase instead of digging around with a spoon. That part I took from James Hoffmann's V60 guide.

Overall, it takes less time than the 4:6 and has just as solid results.

Edit: For the grind setting, you want something more towards a traditional medium-fine. With new beans, I generally start mine around setting 40 on my Niche, and adjust as needed.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i figured the coffee thread's close to the best place to ask this one off question since it seems tangentially related to the ember mug lol,

i've really been enjoying using this cup brand called Asvel that makes this CafeMug thing that is basically a thermos in cup form.

it doesn't really keep hot stuff too hot for long but it keeps cold things cold ridiculously well and i especially liked using it as a general ice water cup for a while now, but i've been noticing the paint on the outside has been chipping which is real gross, and i was wondering if there was a more reputable version of this idea that doesn't deteriorate nearly this fast. I guess boiled down, I'm just wondering if there's some cup that can keep things temperature regulated like a thermos can better than just getting a regular thick mug, does anyone have anything of the sort?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Futaba Anzu posted:

i figured the coffee thread's close to the best place to ask this one off question since it seems tangentially related to the ember mug lol,

i've really been enjoying using this cup brand called Asvel that makes this CafeMug thing that is basically a thermos in cup form.

it doesn't really keep hot stuff too hot for long but it keeps cold things cold ridiculously well and i especially liked using it as a general ice water cup for a while now, but i've been noticing the paint on the outside has been chipping which is real gross, and i was wondering if there was a more reputable version of this idea that doesn't deteriorate nearly this fast. I guess boiled down, I'm just wondering if there's some cup that can keep things temperature regulated like a thermos can better than just getting a regular thick mug, does anyone have anything of the sort?

Like just a vacuum insulated stainless steel mug? There are a few competing brands out there, but I'm quite happy with my Yeti Rambler (in Seafoam Green) as my daily mug at work, it keeps coffee hot for a long-rear end time with the lid on, and the valve thingy is magnetic so you can take it completely apart to clean it. It is too wide for my Clever Dripper however, so keep that in mind. Also it's stupid expensive, like most things Yeti.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All those vacuum insulated mugs are likely made in the same factory and just rebranded. I have an expensive one from Miir and it has the same paint chipping problem. If you can get a cheapo Wal Mart brand for $8 just buy one of those.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
If you don't want it to be metal you could also go for one of those Bodum double wall glass mugs (or similiar)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you get double wall glass mugs, check if they little holes in the bottom. Mine do and so do most of the ones I see. That's so the inner and outer layers of glass can expand and contract at different rates without breaking. If water gets in there it's incredibly hard to get out. Dishwashing them will guarantee some gets in there.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If you can get a terrarium started in there it would probably keep your coffee hot longer.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sneeing Emu posted:

Like just a vacuum insulated stainless steel mug? There are a few competing brands out there, but I'm quite happy with my Yeti Rambler (in Seafoam Green) as my daily mug at work, it keeps coffee hot for a long-rear end time with the lid on, and the valve thingy is magnetic so you can take it completely apart to clean it. It is too wide for my Clever Dripper however, so keep that in mind. Also it's stupid expensive, like most things Yeti.

Mu Zeta posted:

All those vacuum insulated mugs are likely made in the same factory and just rebranded. I have an expensive one from Miir and it has the same paint chipping problem. If you can get a cheapo Wal Mart brand for $8 just buy one of those.

yeah i found a real cheap amazon alternative for $13 from a brand called Sunwill that looks exactly the same as Yeti, I think i'll check that one out. It'll probably be better on the mind since the paint only starts below the lip level so should alleviate weird random worries about that

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Been watching YouTubes about espresso machines, kinda want one now.

Luckily they're so freaking expensive that I wouldn't dare!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Do it though, it’s awesome.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm seriously considering getting rid of mine. I've come to accept that I just don't want to drink espresso often enough to justify owning a £1200 machine dedicated to it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd recommend a manual machine first as outside of the grinder, the initial investment is significantly cheaper. I made the mistake of buying a gaggia classic when I should have just bought a manual machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm glad I got rid of my espresso set up at home.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The fiscally conservative part of my brain has, thus far, successfully locked the “you’ll be working from home forever why not spend $1.5k on an espresso machine” brain fold in a basement, but I am looking for a good drip machine. I found I like having a top up cup available right away in the morning instead of having to go through a second brewing process.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Democratic Pirate posted:

The fiscally conservative part of my brain has, thus far, successfully locked the “you’ll be working from home forever why not spend $1.5k on an espresso machine” brain fold in a basement, but I am looking for a good drip machine. I found I like having a top up cup available right away in the morning instead of having to go through a second brewing process.
I recently purchased the OXO 8-Cup Coffee Maker, and it is great.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Espresso machine is great, you can impress your groggy annoyed partner who just wants their latte in the morning with your bottomless portafilter and frothing abilities.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Speaking of manual machines and not spending $1500+ on espresso machines, anyone here have any experience with the Cafelat Robot?

I've been waiting for the Lelit Elizabeth to come back in stock for a couple months now, but after watching Hoffman's review of the Robot I'm pretty intrigued. I already have a good grinder, gooseneck kettle, and steam/froth pitcher. It would save me a bunch of money and use things I already own. I always assumed a manual machine would be really annoying, but that workflow didn't seem too bad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i picked one up a month ago and i love mine, when you get the hang of it it's only a few minutes to pull a shot

and you can absolutely make great-tasting espresso even when you still basically suck at using the machine, as i do, it's very forgiving

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

eke out posted:

i picked one up a month ago and i love mine, when you get the hang of it it's only a few minutes to pull a shot

and you can absolutely make great-tasting espresso even when you still basically suck at using the machine, as i do, it's very forgiving

Yeah, I've had a cheaper-ish setup for a few years now and it's great. It's kind of ruined me on getting milk drinks at coffee shops because they're so often disappointing compared to what we get at home.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

betterinsodapop posted:

I recently purchased the OXO 8-Cup Coffee Maker, and it is great.

Seconded.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
A new contender in the Bripespace: https://www.instructables.com/Teeny-Tiny-Coffee-Stove/

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

I love remembering the word 'bripe'

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So you make coffee on the block chain?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BrianBoitano posted:

So you make coffee on the block chain?

it generates way less heat this way

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Espresso machine is great, you can impress your groggy annoyed partner who just wants their latte in the morning with your bottomless portafilter and frothing abilities.

She would probably enjoy it as much as me. She likes an occasional latte but would probably enjoy a non-Starbucks one even more.

Maybe i'll look at manuals.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Holy poo poo espresso machines can take 30 mins to get up to temp?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah. Just put them on a timer or make it part of your routine to turn them on first thing.

Or get a decent, that thing is ready in four minutes.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There's a lot of what feels like edgelord poo poo in espresso. The brew boiler generally only takes a few to several minutes to heat up, but the brew head group and portafilter on E61 machines can take 30 minutes or more to "get hot". This is all in the name of thermal stability. I don't have the palate to tell the difference, but I suspect this is mostly just chasing some pretty tiny goddamn diminishing returns.

I fully expect someone to propose grinding beans and packing the portafilter in a dark room to avoid light corruption or similar ridiculous poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are some traditional machines like the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvio that don't have stable or accurate temps unless you do some modifications. So they can benefit from a 30 minute warm up since the temps can vary wildly especially if you make more than one drink. My Gaggia's "ready" light would turn on and it would clearly be a lie. Espresso brewed at 175 or 195 tastes very different. A modern Breville can come up to temp in like 10 seconds and it will be fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

There are some traditional machines like the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvio that don't have stable or accurate temps unless you do some modifications. So they can benefit from a 30 minute warm up since the temps can vary wildly especially if you make more than one drink. My Gaggia's "ready" light would turn on and it would clearly be a lie. Espresso brewed at 175 or 195 tastes very different. A modern Breville can come up to temp in like 10 seconds and it will be fine.

You can just run a blank shot through on the Silvia and the group head comes up to temp just fine. So for an extra 30 seconds of draw and letting it come back up to temp it's no big deal. It does taste different if you don't bring it to temp, but it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. If I were to buy it again I'd start with a PID installed, but it does well enough and is really easy to find, maintain, and replace parts.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

bolind posted:

I may or may not just have put down the deposit on a Lagom P64.

Did you get your grinder yet? How is it?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I got my rok manual machine, and ad much as it is a capable machine

At the end of the day I have ended up adjusting the rok grinder to a French press and I haven't looked back

I just do a 600-700 ml French Press for the missus and I

The Bellman milk frother I have does a great job making a French press that little bit fancier in the morning

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

Did you get your grinder yet? How is it?

Nope. I’m in the “June batch” but my mate who’s in the “May batch” hasn’t seen his yet, so we’ll see.

Realistically, probably early July. I’ll make sure to post and I’ll happily answer questions.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I’ve had the lagom since christmas and it still bothers me that the numbers are on the wrong way

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That is indeed wrong and bad. There’s rumors it has been changed in later revisions though?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have been single dosing the mignon specialita by running manual grind mode instead of timed dose mode and just running till all the beans are ground. I checked retention when grinding this way by measuring the weight of the grounds in the portafilter as compared to the weight of the beans that went in. I saw no retention. This all seems to work well. Am I harming the grinder by running it with few or no beans in there?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

Holy poo poo espresso machines can take 30 mins to get up to temp?

I usually leave my gaggia classic on all the time, and when I need to make espresso I just toggle the steam on for 10 seconds so the water can get to around the right tempature.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dren posted:

I have been single dosing the mignon specialita by running manual grind mode instead of timed dose mode and just running till all the beans are ground. I checked retention when grinding this way by measuring the weight of the grounds in the portafilter as compared to the weight of the beans that went in. I saw no retention. This all seems to work well. Am I harming the grinder by running it with few or no beans in there?

I'm certain I heard James Hoffmann once remark that it's actually better for beans to be dropped into an empty, already spinning grind chamber. You can utilise the little plastic sliding door at the base of the Eureka's hopper to achieve this. So you're definitely not doing it any harm. That little piece also allows you to minimise popcorning by sealing the hopper off once the beans pass fully down into the grind chamber.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Bandire posted:

There's a lot of what feels like edgelord poo poo in espresso. The brew boiler generally only takes a few to several minutes to heat up, but the brew head group and portafilter on E61 machines can take 30 minutes or more to "get hot". This is all in the name of thermal stability. I don't have the palate to tell the difference, but I suspect this is mostly just chasing some pretty tiny goddamn diminishing returns.

I fully expect someone to propose grinding beans and packing the portafilter in a dark room to avoid light corruption or similar ridiculous poo poo.

I just have a timer kick on my Rocket at 5 AM and shut off at 8:30 AM.

For pour over - I will set my OXO kettle at 200 degrees - but I absolutely refuse to weigh grounds (that I roast myself with a Behmor 1600 and grind in a Vario) or measure water though,

take that nerds! :clint:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean, you're the one stuck drinking it, so w/e.

*Turns to .1 gram scale, "don't listen to him, daddy still loves you"*