Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Wahlberg did two movies with him for some reason.

Wahlberg's a piece of poo poo and has been his whole life.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean Walhberg is an attempted murderer and has shown very little remorse over the fact so not really a beacon of good dude.

More than that, he wanted the racially motivated assault he committed struck from his record because it was interferring with his ability to open a business of some kind. He also said in an interview that he had learned to forgive himself before revealing that he had never contacted the victim of the racially motivated assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

Wahlberg's a piece of poo poo and has been his whole life.
More than that, he wanted the racially motivated assault he committed struck from his record because it was interferring with his ability to open a business of some kind.

It's way the gently caress worse than that. It was interfering with his ability to become an honorary cop. Because he wanted to be one after playing cops in so many movies.

Though honestly, he's from Boston and the honorary thing would have happened in Boston, attacking an old guy in a racially motivated attack at 17 means he's overqualified for Boston PD.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's way the gently caress worse than that. It was interfering with his ability to become an honorary cop. Because he wanted to be one after playing cops in so many movies.

Though honestly, he's from Boston and the honorary thing would have happened in Boston, attacking an old guy in a racially motivated attack at 17 means he's overqualified for Boston PD.

gently caress, I either remembered it wrong or got told the wrong thing at the time. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Skwirl posted:

Wahlberg did two movies with him for some reason.
Three movies.

The Fighter is also a Russel film.

Jennifer Lawrence I think is the only other person to put up with his poo poo for as many movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, I either remembered it wrong or got told the wrong thing at the time. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yeah he's a partner in a burger chain with his brothers that's called "Wahlburgers" (no idea if I spelled that right, but you get the idea) the two things probably got confused either in your own head or in the head of whoever told you.

There's a reality show about the burger chain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he just seems like both the kinda guy who might miss a cue in a scene once or twice and wouldn't to that kind of stage direction with the same grace as Lily Tomlin.

The entire M.O. of these guys is they never antagonize people with any real pull. Like sure, Tomlin is a legend, but she's not going to be headlining cinemas for the next 30 years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently Trinh forgave him, and was already parlty blind before the attack.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-did-that.html

Grains of salt all around.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The thing I don't get is what anyone gains from working with Russell to begin with. THREE KINGS and I HEART HUCKABEES are good, everything else is middling. Why bother catching heat for working with mediocrity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Apparently Trinh forgave him, and was already parlty blind before the attack.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-did-that.html

Grains of salt all around.

Why do people bring up the partly blind part? That...doesn't make it better at all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think because the story was "he attacked and blinded a man in one eye" when it (might be) "he attacked a man" which is quite a bit less concerning.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Three movies.

The Fighter is also a Russel film.

Jennifer Lawrence I think is the only other person to put up with his poo poo for as many movies.

Plus Wahlberg produced the movie and Russell was brought in late after Aronofsky dropped out. It's less that they worked together on The Fighter and more that Wahlberg hired him to do it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The entire M.O. of these guys is they never antagonize people with any real pull. Like sure, Tomlin is a legend, but she's not going to be headlining cinemas for the next 30 years.

Normally that's the case, but David O. Russell seems to pick fights with just about everyone, up to and including A-listers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

I think because the story was "he attacked and blinded a man in one eye" when it (might be) "he attacked a man" which is quite a bit less concerning.

Not really, no.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Exactly how badly can you beat a random stranger in a racially motivated attack before it stops being acceptable then?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

DrVenkman posted:

The thing I don't get is what anyone gains from working with Russell to begin with. THREE KINGS and I HEART HUCKABEES are good, everything else is middling. Why bother catching heat for working with mediocrity.

I mean, in Jennifer Lawrence's case, millions of dollars and an Oscar and all the future stuff that that brings, is one big example

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
David O Russell's last 4 films have an average of 3 acting Oscar nominations. His films usually are Oscar darlings, so it's no surprise actors want that prestige even if it means dealing with a piece of poo poo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, my experience is that Hollywood is built around bullies on all sorts of levels. Like there are people who are absolute nobodies in the grand scheme of things, but still act like loving tyrants.I can totally understand Russel's bullshit genuinely not registering to someone who has been desensitized to bullshit like his.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it might just be genuinely tough to keep track of who is a piece of poo poo since it's so widespread. I work in the games industry and remembering which companies are known for being lovely to their employees is hard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, my experience is that Hollywood is built around bullies on all sorts of levels. Like there are people who are absolute nobodies in the grand scheme of things, but still act like loving tyrants.I can totally understand Russel's bullshit genuinely not registering to someone who has been desensitized to bullshit like his.

Basically every industry is like that though. Anywhere you go there's people who, like you said, are totally irrelevant the minute they step outside of their little bubble but they've carved out a little fiefdom and they're gonna get off on lording that power over anyone who steps inside it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it might just be genuinely tough to keep track of who is a piece of poo poo since it's so widespread. I work in the games industry and remembering which companies are known for being lovely to their employees is hard.

Video games or board games? The BG industry is like 75% rear end in a top hat.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Video games or board games? The BG industry is like 75% rear end in a top hat.

Oh yeah that's true, videogames specifically. Assholes abound as it turns out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lot of JOY fans in this thread

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Basically every industry is like that though. Anywhere you go there's people who, like you said, are totally irrelevant the minute they step outside of their little bubble but they've carved out a little fiefdom and they're gonna get off on lording that power over anyone who steps inside it.
I think film and TV production sort of amplify it all. Part of it is that there is a sort of high school mentality to the industry. People end up hanging out so much with their crew and there really is a breakdown of boundaries. Like most workplaces at least pretend they care about life/work balance outside of like... doctors or migrant workers.

I think the other thing is the sense of "gratitude" that was instilled in people. People at mercenary blue collar or white collar jobs are allowed to not like their jobs or treat it as just work. But in Hollywood stuff, there is a sense of you being lucky to be there at all and I think that really exasperates the tyrannical attitude at all levels. And it just seems all more ingrained. Video games and music probably have a similar problem.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 5, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

But in Hollywood stuff, there is a sense of you being lucky to be there at all and I think that really exasperates the tyrannical attitude at all levels. And it just seems all more ingrained. Video games and music probably have a similar problem.

I have worked in a vaguely similar "prestige" business and yeah, the whole "working here is soooooo awesome we know we can treat you like poo poo" attitude you get from managers and their hypnotized thralls is sickening.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

well why not posted:

Boy those racist attacks aren't a big deal unless they physically maim a person amirite fellas???

Seriously though, what in the gently caress?

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

On what grounds?

Missed this before, but here goes:
Judges on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court questioned and expressed skepticism about the use of five "prior bad acts" witnesses in Bill Cosby's criminal trial during an appeal hearing on Tuesday.

[…]

The three assault charges in the case centered on Constand's testimony. But at his criminal trial, Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill allowed five other women, including supermodel Janice Dickinson, to testify as "prior bad act" witnesses who said that Cosby had similarly drugged them with the intent of assaulting them in previous incidents.

Cosby's attorney Jennifer Bonjean argued Tuesday in the virtual hearing that these witnesses unfairly prejudiced the jury -- and some judges suggested they agreed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Finding out he'd previously drugged and raped 5 women prejudiced the jury against Bill Cosby in the trial about when he drugged and raped a woman?

Well I never.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Boy those racist attacks aren't a big deal unless they physically maim a person amirite fellas???

Seriously though, what in the gently caress?

I know what you're going for here, but this isn't a gotcha. You are distorting what I wrote.

I'm not trying to minimise what he did. I did not say it was "not a big deal".

My point is that it is worse to beat someone until they are partially blind, than to beat them and leave them fully sighted. A beating that leaves someone permanently disabled is worse than a beating that does not.

All racist attacks are bad. Some are more extreme than others. Wahlberg is a poo poo person either way. His PR apparatus is likely trying to cloud discussion of this so that it's unclear if he did, or did not, partially blind someone in a racist attack.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think film and TV production sort of amplify it all. Part of it is that there is a sort of high school mentality to the industry. People end up hanging out so much with their crew and there really is a breakdown of boundaries. Like most workplaces at least pretend they care about life/work balance outside of like... doctors or migrant workers.

I think the other thing is the sense of "gratitude" that was instilled in people. People at a mercenary blue collar or white collar jobs are allowed to not like their jobs or treat it as just work. But in Hollywood stuff, there is a sense of you being lucky to be there at all and I think that really exasperates the tyrannical attitude at all levels. And it just seems all more ingrained. Video games and music probably have a similar problem.

The key factor is that everyone is freelance. There is zero job security and the vast majority of hiring is done on word of mouth and recommendations. Nobody, particularly lower down the ranks, ever wants to be seen as “difficult” or a troublemaker. So the most appalling treatment - in terms of abuse, stress, workload, hours and pay - is just accepted as Normal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1400867054979325960?s=21

https://twitter.com/crypticnohoes/status/1400923259739246593?s=21

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dude is 34? Did they misspell 43??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Child actors age faster post adulthood

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Might explain why he fled to Mexico to be Drake Compagna

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Man, the latest Max Payne got dark.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When did jail photos start getting Dutch angles?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

When did jail photos start getting Dutch angles?
"The picture was straight. It was the world that was crooked."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just gonna keep dealing with the fallout of Dan Schneider and his weird culture of rape forever, huh? Nickelodeon really sounds like a hellhole in the 90’s and early 2000’s

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Just gonna keep dealing with the fallout of Dan Schneider and his weird culture of rape forever, huh? Nickelodeon really sounds like a hellhole in the 90’s and early 2000’s

Echoing this. I'm generally more surprised by child stars who aren't hosed up, but especially if they worked under a tyrannical pedophile like Dan Schneider.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Weird coincidence that both Drakes are pedos and that Drake is their middle name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?