Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

Risking overplaying the joke, but here's Castrating Car sequels. This was a bit tough to reign in. Not so sure about some of these... NWS?

I'm losing my loving mind between "...But I'm A Heterosexual...And I Find You Fascinating!" and "How I Lost My Dick And Regained My V-Card..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

And the Magical Black character, and the black character who performs a self-sacrifice to save the white leads.

I know Scatman Crothers is the classic example of this and that role is rightfully criticized but it really does work in that movie. Mainly because of all the buildup that his death gets where he’s going through all that bullshit to try to reach them and then the rug gets ripped out from under you the second he goes through the door. I thought for sure they were building to something similar in Get Out but Peele tricked me.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Risking overplaying the joke, but here's Castrating Car sequels. This was a bit tough to reign in. Not so sure about some of these... NWS?

Literally any one of these could be the new thread title these are fuckin hilarious

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"I Sell the Dead" was decently fun. The protagonists accidentally invoking the wrath of a really creepy/corpsey vampire at misty crossroads was really the high point of the movie though.

Apart from Ron Perlman, that is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Netflix quietly added a 3rd season of Haunted recently.

For those who've missed it, it's a talking heads show where a person tells their Very Real Ghost Story to friends and family in a round table setting, with R-rated reenactments. Sometimes the other guests contribute to the story. It can be anything from haunted house to possession to alien abduction.

This season is even more egregious than before. Tons of unnecessary blood, gore and nudity shoe-horned into the stories, tons of artistic license in the reenactments, and even more animated guest storytellers with even less pay-off.

I love it. It's secretly one of the best things Netflix has made.

Warning though, one of the newer episodes has animal cruelty in the opening reenactment. They don't actually show anything, they do quick editing to cut-away, but it's still a satanic ritual where they kill a cat to soak a hardcore chick with blood. I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd episode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm not prepared for when the Toxic Avenger remake finally comes out and is legit good

Elijah Wood now in it apparently hell yeah https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/401876/elijah-wood-now-set-to-play-lead-villain-in-new-toxic-avenger-reboot/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

The casting for that movie looks good but I seriously have doubts it will ever get off the ground.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'd imagine if elijah is attached to it now it's got a much better chance of eventuating. dude is a workhorse and seems really passionate about off-beat horror

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hatchet was almost like a weird speciality film. Its gimmick was slashers are dead so here is a slasher-rear end-slasher. The problem is that Hatchet really has none of the charm of an actual slasher. It just feels like a fake movie.
The thing with movies like Hatchet is that they're for hardcore horror franchise fans, so they try to go from Friday the 13th to Friday the 13th Part VI in like one movie. Sometimes they pull it off.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This Toxic Avenger remake will happen. I will WILL it into existence.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

This Toxic Avenger remake will happen. I will WILL it into existence.

LET US COMBINE OUR ENERGIES. IT SHALL HAPPEN. IT WILL HAPPEN!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Who would have thought 10 years ago that Toxie would get remade with several big-name actors...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Who would have thought 10 years ago that Saw would get remade with several big-name actors...

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Except it doesn't?

It turns out you make a good point but when I start awake watching jason takes manhatten and the first thing I see each time is Julius getting killed it sure feels like it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

AKZ posted:

It turns out you make a good point but when I start awake watching jason takes manhatten and the first thing I see each time is Julius getting killed it sure feels like it.

A lot has changed in the last 30 years.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have to figure Gunn is at least somewhat involved in the Toxie remake, and he's in a position to lean on a lot of people right now so I have faith it'll go forward. Now, will it be good or a giant mess, that I could not say

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I have to figure Gunn is at least somewhat involved in the Toxie remake, and he's in a position to lean on a lot of people right now so I have faith it'll go forward. Now, will it be good or a giant mess, that I could not say

I don't think Gunn is involved with the project.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn was a Troma for hire not a major studio head.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

LET US COMBINE OUR ENERGIES. IT SHALL HAPPEN. IT WILL HAPPEN!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goddamn Spiral sure drops off a cliff in that last act, huh? I was sort of digging it (or at least parts of it) until then but woooof that ending.
I thought it was pretty consistently weak throughout. The traps were kinda boring (and often not how human bodies work!), and as with the last several installments it relies far too heavily on everyone doing the exact right stupid thing at the exact right time, and conveniently being alone. They did a flashback montage of important lines 30 minutes into a 90 minute movie. There's also ZERO connection between Jigsaw and the copycat, so it's a very obvious handwave to use the gimmick. On top of all that, I really, really don't need topical social messages from Saw of all things.

I guess I watch these because I'm a sucker for puzzle horror, but I hoped that with a few big names it might be better than some of the franchise's stinkers. At this point they should do what every long running horror franchise does. Bring Jigsaw back through supernatural bullshit, then go full camp: Set one in medieval times and use ancient torture devices. Set one in space. Make Jigsaw an AI and upload him to the internet, and if you die in the game you die for real. Otherwise it's the same exact thing, just diluted a little more each time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Jigsaw as an AI seems like such an obvious idea that I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spiral was more fun than the other saws because I enjoyed the traps killing the victims bc they were cops and I didn’t feel bad at all lmao.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spiral is a very heavy handed GET IT? GET IT? commentary on police violence wrapped in an incredibly boring Saw movie that still manages to be like 4th best in the series by virtue of it being a poo poo series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly lol. Like it’s just flat out not my thing but besides one maaaaybe two, they’re very “oooh see you get it? This is the bad cop one! This is the health care one!”

I wish I liked it more but I don’t. I’m fascinated by it though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Abrakadabra was a fun little neo-giallo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OK Neill Blomkamp, let's see what you've got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJwtqGFl6o

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Looks intriguing. Not a lot to go on though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Best part of Spiral was them saying "Jigsaw never targeted cops!" and I'm just remembering every movie having a bunch of cops getting killed by Jigsaw and/or his disciples, with cops being the main target in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 being about a cop trying to not get busted as being Jigsaw 2 and killing a bunch of cops in the process, and then Jigsaw AGAIN had a cop as the main target!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Looks great, but would be hard for me to dislike it more than Chappie

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chris James 2 posted:

Looks great, but would be hard for me to dislike it more than Chappie

poo poo, I thought I was the only one who hated that film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chappie was alright, like an adult Short Circuit

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
There's already an adult Short Circuit, it's called Short Circuit.

How else do you explain the blackface?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Los Locos kick your rear end, Los Locos kick your face, Los Locos kick your balls into outer space!

I like Die Antwoord well enough, but they'll never write anything as poetic as that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's already an adult Short Circuit, it's called Short Circuit.

How else do you explain the blackface?

Indianface

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

i'm curious about it. glad he actually finished a project for once and it seems like he's gotten away from sharlto and die antwoord

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love CHAPPiE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

I love CHAPPiE

:same:

But like Phillip J Fry I've always wanted a robot for a friend

TheOmegaWalrus