Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1610700/Clutter_1000/

quote:

The greatest Clutter yet! Clutter 1000 is the most exciting Un-Hidden Object game you will ever play. The object of the game? It's simple: click on two matching objects to remove them from the playfield. Along with your old favorites there are twice as many new variations, for days of fun!

I'll personally recommend this game and its franchise, they've become my new favorite podcast games. Matching items is weirdly addicting and I love how many interesting variants there are.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/601840/Griftlands/

Just left Early access

quote:

Griftlands is a deck-building roguelite where you negotiate, fight, steal or otherwise persuade others to get your way. Every decision is important, be it the jobs you take, the friends you make, or the cards you collect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
highly recommend griftlands if you like any sort of deckbuilder like slay the spire or monster train or something. Also has a fun setting and good writing and art, but the gameplay is great on it's own as well. Very polished and very fun, also 20% off for launch!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Going Medieval is now Early Access; there was a one-weekend beta almost two weeks ago. If you like Banished or Rimworld, you'll like this game. The mechanics are extremely Rimworld, but there's actual character animation instead of Rimworld's simplified look. I think it's very pretty, and I had ten+ hours of fun during the open-access weekend. The base game already has solid mechanics for building, growing, hunting, and mining; there are promises of interactions with other villages, animal husbandry, and more. I have not found it crashy.

10% off at the moment, but that takes it from $25 to $23, so eh.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Some quick thoughts on previous games I got:

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1375400/Ghosts_n_Goblins_Resurrection/

Ghost n' Goblins: Resurrection is a remake of two old school Ghosts n' Goblins games, with updated art that looks great but the same punishing difficulty the original was known for.

This game is way too loving hard. gently caress this poo poo, for real

quote:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198590/Stonefly/

Stonefly is an action-adventure game with a unique tiny setting where you battle bugs and mine resources with your mini-mech. Early reviews praise the worldbuilding and art but criticize the artificial grind that's been put in to stretch out the experience.

I honestly love this one. A lot of games have nice art but this one's art is so fundamental to everything about it and works SO well for this game. Jumping and gliding amongst the plants in your little upgradeable mech is drat fun, and the bug combat is fun and surprisingly tough as well. It takes good tactics, strategy and reflexes to be consistently successful, especially when there are a lot of bugs to fight. The story is serviceable and pushes things along without being an impediment to the action.

I actually don't have any problem with the grind, which is not severe and is fun to do anyways. I think I've only had to go out on a non-story mission one time to get some resources for a further upgrade to continue. If anyone likes the look of this pick it up, although fair warning it does not seem like an exceedingly lengthy game, probably 8 to 10 hours. But it is just gorgeous and reminds me favorably of their other game Creature in the Well:

New games that look interesting to me:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240550/Until_the_Last_Plane/

Until the Last Plane, air squadron management game that looks fun.

quote:

The Game
This is the story of people who fought in the World War II: brave pilots who soared through the vast skies, and the smart engineers who helped them by managing their planes. In Until the Last Plane, you've been assigned to the management of a WWII airfield. Spend your military goods wisely, recruit pilots, and create the right parts for your planes. When you're ready, send a squadron out to accomplish your next mission!

Key Features
3 playable nations: USA, USSR and Germany
3 different campaigns for each nation
6 planes for each nation
fuel and ammunition management
spare parts crafting system
decision-making events
Airfield management
Repair the planes as quickly as possible so they can get back into action!

Different kind of mini-games
Not only dogfight! You'll also have to bomb various targets: bases or vehicles

Workshop management
Craft components for airplanes. Choose the component and assign more mechanics to reduce construction time. Never leave the warehouse without spare parts.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915310/SNKRX/

SNKRX takes the snake cell phone game formula and turns it into an arcade action roguelike where each link of your body has its own attack and synergies and such. Only 2.99 and it has a nice if incredibly simple look.

quote:

SNKRX is an arcade shooter roguelite where you control a snake made of multiple heroes, with each one having their own attacks, passives and classes. Inspired by the auto-battler genre, each hero in the snake has a set of classes, and combining enough heroes of the same class together grants additional class bonuses. Heroes can also be upgraded to be more powerful when copies are bought from the shop.

Gameplay
Your snake can't stop moving, turn it left or right to steer
Your heroes attack automatically when close to enemies
Combine heroes of the same classes together to unlock unique class bonuses
Clearing arenas grants gold, which can be used to hire heroes at the shop
Buying enough copies of the same heroes levels them up, making them more powerful

Features
40+ heroes, each with unique attacks and passives
12+ classes, each giving stat boosts and modifiers to your snake
40+ passive items, each giving strong global effects to your snake
25+ levels of increasing difficulty as the run progresses
15+ Steam achievements
Soundtrack by Kubbi

Play fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 2, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hokko Life, an Animal Crossing-like, is out in Early Access today. It's major selling point is how designable it is: you can build and paint furniture and clothes with an incredible amount of options and control, allowing you to really personalize and design everything about how you and your town of animal-neighbors live.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/824000/Hokko_Life/

Still pretty buggy (aside from bug collecting) and early access, according to reviews.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

skeleton warrior posted:

Still pretty buggy (aside from bug collecting)
That's like the main part I would want to be buggy.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Play posted:

This game is way too loving hard. gently caress this poo poo, for real

This is what I thought about the original games back in the day, minus the expletives since I wasn't old enough for that. Despite having played video games since 1985, I've never actually been GOOD at video games.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, for those who don't remember: the ghosts and goblins series has always been punishingly difficult and spiteful towards the player

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, for those who don't remember: the ghosts and goblins series has always been punishingly difficult and spiteful towards the player

It made sense when they were arcade games meant to suck quarters but when they moved to consoles it was just being a dick to stay that hard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Back in the NES days you couldn't make games long with more content (except for RPGs), so the best way to increase the playtime of what you had was to increase the difficulty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

Back in the NES days you couldn't make games long with more content (except for RPGs), so the best way to increase the playtime of what you had was to increase the difficulty.

Tell that to Elite!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546920/Overboard/
Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator, like Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Acroyd. The aim is to figure out how to escape being caught and get the insurance money at the end.

quote:

GAMEPLAY
Overboard! is a tense, highly replayable detective game from the creators of 80 Days and Heaven's Vault.
Blackmail a spy. Fall in love. Murder a rival. Cheat at cards. Drug a witness. Lie, befriend, betray, console, sneak, seduce, steal, borrow, pray, eavesdrop, kill...

There are clues, evidence, suspects, accusations, secrets and lies.

You’ll need all your cunning, coercion and charisma to ensure that someone else takes the fall.

DYNAMIC NARRATIVE CLOCKWORK
* Next-gen visual novel: go where you want, when you want, and say what you want
* Simulated story-world: other characters move and act independently, remember everything they see and hear, and everything you do
* Every minute counts: you have eight hours to escape justice. Time is always ticking
* Who can you trust? Some characters are friendly, and some are out to get you. Who will you befriend? And who will you betray?

Built using the award-winning ink narrative engine, Overboard!'s narrative twists itself around every choice you make.

Play once for a thrill, or multiple times to uncover all the secrets and achieve an ideal ending.

quote:

Another absolute banger from Inkle. If you've enjoyed Inkle's previous games, this is a must-buy.

Overboard! is a detective puzzler where every action increased the clock, and you have to solve the murder to escape.... except the game opens with you doing the murder. oops. So the game becomes a sort of turn-based race against the clock to somehow create an alibi, find an alternate suspect, learn what each character knows and use it to your advantage. You will go to prison, multiple times. You may even die. But in the end, you'll get away with murder in the most satisfying convoluted solution ever. Also the game opens with you murdering an arsehole husband, what's not to love?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator, like Agatha Christie's. The aim is to figure out how to escape being caught and get the insurance money at the end.

gahhhh please don't spoil my favorite Agatha Christie! There is still a chance that someone could read it fresh!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator, like Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Acroyd. The aim is to figure out how to escape being caught and get the insurance money at the end.

My mom is a huge detective novel fan of that Era and owns this Agatha Christie book, and this is finally a video game that she had interest in.

I also told my dad so he could take notes

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Big ups to this thread. I haven't picked up much or commented on anything in it, but I always read it and will generally check things based on it.

So I'm proud to add my own two cents about something that launched last weekend, Solasta Crown of the Magister.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096530/Solasta_Crown_of_the_Magister/

It might not count because it's been in EA forever but whatevs. Solasta is a D&D SRD 5.1 ruleset CRPG that is a relatively tight implementation of that ruleset, combined with some nice assets and interesting choices on how to use them.

I'm going to have to contrast it with games I never really got into which are:
- Divine Divinity : Original Sin 2 (combat was too involved, story felt at times both too strict with the pregen characters, and too broad to accommodate all of them)
- Pathfinder: Opaque. Poorly implemented. Seems to deliberately introduce "gotchas" based on P&P rules, except where it disagrees with them for no apparent reason.

Solasta isn't nearly as ambitious as either, and instead is ... charmingly janky. This isn't an outright endorsement, there's a lot of laziness here be it camera angles, scene setups, quest chains. What I'm finding as I progress the level of polish is rapidly deteriorating. One quest ends by saying "go see x to learn about y". But y was in the room the quest was completed in, and was already added to my map before even talking to x. There's another case where NPCs get confused, with one following up a conversational lead initiated by another, in another location. The writing in general can be slangy and contemporary for such a setting, but just incongruously so, not annoyingly so. Subtitles match spoken text about 75% of the time. In game text has very odd formatting with punctuation and white space commonly omitted (e.g. on found journal/letter items).

With that said, I'm finding the dice rolling monster munching very satisfying, and for the most part the combat flows very smoothly. There's some real choices to be made in terms of the combat in regards to verticality, environment interaction, even the positioning of light sources. Character creation is relatively well explained, and the rule implementation seems pretty tight. Parts of it aren't explained very well (e.g. someone with their hands full can't cast Somatic spells, indicated with an S. They never actually say what Somatic means in this context), but some tool tips are around.

There's a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition talking head cutscene setups and they're incredibly lazy. Basically all 4 of your characters stand in a line facing who they are talking to, or, if it's just the party reacting to something, them staring at whatever it is. In dialogue you can choose which character will talk, and similar to DDOS2 they have "tags" that kind of indicate how they'll approach the conversation. So one guy might be Authoritative and Pragmatic, and another Altruistic, and another Greedy, etc. Despite the lazy setups visually, there's so many of these conversations that on a first play through you really get a feeling that these characters are different from each other. And these conversations are voice acted as well. The voice acting isn't... great, but it isn't tragically bad either, and the sheer volume of both written and voiced material is something of an accomplishment.

The odd thing is the sometimes strangely modern language, the blank 2 camera talking set up, and the voice acting choices (one female quest giver is... from the deep south?) and they mix into this paradoxically ... not terrible result. I can't say it was laugh out loud funny, but some of the on purpose jokes do land, and mostly it was just fascinating to watch because you were never sure what was going to come out of anyone's mouth or how. (I'd be curious about how 4 Greedy/Chaotic/Egotist characters would interact, if at all)

I feel I'm both underselling the crunchiness of the underlying mechanics (relatively solid) and overselling the frankly slapdash approach to putting the game together, which I'm sure will annoy some people more than it did me. One thing to watch out for is a Dungeon Creator which will allow other people to make their own 'modules', some of which are already out. I'm not going to touch them until I'm done with the core game, but that could be something to look forward to as well. Worth checking out I think if you're a student of the RPG genre, or have familiarity with 5e and don't want to have to think too much (DDOS2) or realize the ruleset actually sucks (Pathfinder).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

OMG, "punishingly difficult" doesn't even cover it.

The game starts out with the player in a graveyard, getting ready to boink your girlfriend. Seriously, you're in your underwear. Then, Satan appears and steals away your girl. Really. So you put on your armor and start slogging through the graveyard to rescue her. There's zombies and birds and evil plants, and if you shoot a tombstone too long a magician turns you into a toad. After a bit, you run into the boss, a red winged devil who flies super fast and can take like half a dozen hits. You die, and die, and die. Finally after a dozen tries you beat the devil, and.. he's just a mid-stage boss?? Fuuuuuck!

After that stage is ice caverns, then a ladder maze filled with ogres who can take a bajillion hits each. Then caves filled with nasties, including THREE of those fast devils, one after another. Don't bother trying to run past them, they will pursue you endlessly. The game is a bit merciful in that the first hit you take merely makes your armor fall off (leaving you in your underwear again), and there are half a dozen weapons to replace the lance you start out with, but most are doodoo.

Levels five and six are Satan's palace, and here the difficulty shoots into the loving stratosphere. Swarms and swarms of enemies requiring pixel-perfect timing, with a punishing time limit on top of that. The bosses are first one, then two mini-satans, who are like the red devil but can take a million hits. Seriously, if Jesus Christ had chosen to incarnate in an 80's arcade, even he couldn't have beaten the sixth stage. But, let's say that you pulled your Bar Mitsvah money out of the bank and converted it into quarters, and after dozens and dozens of hours of grueling runs, you beat the sixth level, and are face to face with our lord and saviour Satan himself. You grit your teeth and charge into battle to save your girl...

YOUR WEAPON HAS NO EFFECT!

Fuuuuck! The only weapon that can hurt Satan is the shield, which you didn't take because it sucks rear end.You're teleported back to level 4, and slog your way back here. You find a shield, then for the rest of the trip you have to avoid other weapon drops in addition to the baddies. After begging Mommy for your Christmas, Easter and birthday gifts in advance and pawning them for quarters, you finally, finally make it back to Satan, whack him with the shield, then...

THIS ROOM IS AN ILLUSION AND A TRAP DEVISED BY SATAN!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! You are sent back to the first level and have to make it all the way back, avoiding weapon drops, and there are more critters and they move faster. Mommy won't let you liquidate your college fund, so you sigh and admit defeat.

Ghosts 'n' Goblins was a great game overall, with innovative level design, crisp movement, good sound and graphics, and incredibly good music. But holy fuckballs was it hard.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 3, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

incredibly lovely of you to spoil one of the master's best mysteries.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Hard to believe someone would just spoil a hundred year old book.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hard to believe I could spoil something which is only ever brought up in the context of its twist.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

Hard to believe I could spoil something which is only ever brought up in the context of its twist.

For what it's worth, I and my wife have recently started reading through her works and didn't know this in advance. It would have sucked to come across your post before then, because this is one of those cases where a spoiler really would have spoiled things. Mysteries are the classic case for which the term is truly appropriate.

There's new people being born every day. Why not be considerate?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I cant remember if it was Ghosts & Goblins or Ghouls & Ghosts that made you beat the game twice to see the real ending, but yeah theyre legendary for the brutal hardness.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Does this game also have poorly implemented and boring but mandatory action sequences?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The Last Spell comes out as early access in fifteen minutes.

It seems to be a take on the horde survival mode from games like Gears of War and Dawn of War 2 with some degree of base building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLiHt2gpIc

Trip report. It's fun and good. It's a lot like the zombie missions in XCOM2. Turn-based, squad management, where you try to make the most of your skills to kill anything that moves.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 3, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

One of the most infuriating things about Ghosts and Goblins was how nice the graphics seemed to me, mostly never to be seen, because I do not have it in me to ever play it all the way through.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DreadUnknown posted:

I cant remember if it was Ghosts & Goblins or Ghouls & Ghosts that made you beat the game twice to see the real ending, but yeah theyre legendary for the brutal hardness.

Both of them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ultrafilter posted:

Both of them.

Also Super Ghosts and Goblins

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Donnerberg posted:

It seems to be a take on the horde survival mode from games like Gears of War and Dawn of War 2 with some degree of base building.

Trip report. It's fun and good. It's a lot like the zombie missions in XCOM2. Turn-based, squad management, where you try to make the most of your skills to kill anything that moves.

Been waiting on this one for a while! It's basically old-school Horde (i.e. defend village at night, build it up during the day), just turn-based and you control several characters instead of one. So far it seems the devs want you to kill mostly with your squad instead of any village defensive structures. I hope they develop the defensive options a bit more so you can pick which style to use. The art and everything look great.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

I played the beta quite a bit. Mainly I found it a bit too hard and slightly depressing. There's really no such thing as a true "win" on any given night, feels like you're being constantly reduced until you don't have a chance. Perhaps they've changed it but that ended up turning me off, despite the fact that I absolutely adore the art style used, that high-def pixel style.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...cal%20treasure.

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a narrative adventure game which strongly reminds me of Firewatch, in which you use a metal detector to search for ... something and apparently there is a bit of romance too.

quote:

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a first-person, romantic, metal-detecting game. You play as Adam, a sharp-witted but compassionate man returning to his childhood village of Stanning. There he'll help a woman named Beth on her mission to unearth a local treasure. As cracks begin to appear in Beth’s fairy tale plan for everything, you’ll delve into her history and discover all may not be as it seems. And you’ll have to choose how Adam responds to Beth as she faces her demons.

Gameplay combines laid-back metal detecting and exploration with a strong interpersonal narrative, all set in a beautiful English countryside. The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a game about trying to find something, and the tone it sets is like a typical English summer: mostly pleasant, but with stormy moments that threaten to ruin everything.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1454050/Tour_de_France_2021/

Tour de France 2021 is obviously a long distance cycling game. I played last year's version and it was surprisingly engaging. It has a lot of strategic elements over the course of a stage where you decide what you're going for: sprints, climbs, stage win etc. and have to balance your energy reserves and strategies to succeed. Probably mainly for bike racing fans, although I'm not really that and I still liked it.

quote:

Win the yellow jersey with the official game of the Tour de France 2021. All 21 stages and the biggest Classics are included. Experience a new objective system, a redesigned My Tour mode and other new features!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335230/Sumire/

Sumire is a super casual narrative adventure game that looks really cute. Not really my thing but many people like these kind of games.

quote:

One Day, One Life. Sumire is a magical narrative adventure about choices made, and dreams lost and found. Embark on a mysterious journey to help Sumire achieve her deepest wishes, before the day ends and the sky turns to twilight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078420/Critters_for_Sale/

quote:

Experience death from the comfort of your seat.

Critters for Sale is a compilation of 5 short stories: Snake, Goat, Monkey, Dragon, and Spider. All of which occur in different eras and locations, touching on themes like time travel, black magic, and immortality. A journey in which you meet characters familiar and foreign to you, ranging from inhabitants of a garden in Earth's orbit, aliens from Neptune, Noid Men from neighboring timelines, and residents of a certain Reincarnation Palace.

A hybrid between Point And Click and Visual Novel, the game puts you in the shoes of characters that marked the unseen history of the world as we know it, right in the center of events that portray a cosmic force looming above, vouching for evil, wanting to see you and your world crumble.

The actions and choices you make throughout the game influence the outcome of each episode, ultimately leading to your death or survival. Evade your doom, and you might be able to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

The story unfolds in five episodes, playable in any order, taking you on journeys influenced by the surreal horrors of Middle Eastern and North African folktales. With multiple endings each, you will be able to live and relive the dreadful terror depicted throughout Critters for Sale.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This one's by the dev of rym9000, sonoshee. another game that is just as stylistic (but a shmup)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you liked Hidden Folks, do try FIND ALL. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642220/FIND_ALL/

It's a tiny game: for me, 23 minutes. You look at a line drawing of part of a town and find objects: birds, letters, raccoons. Each object you find turns colored. Whenever you find all of one object, you are prompted to find another.

I'm under a great deal of stress, and this was a chance to spend time out of my head. Nice music, pretty drawings. If this is the kind of thing you like, you will like it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046400/Astalon_Tears_of_the_Earth/

Astalon: Tears of the Earth is a pixel art side scroller that I've had my eye on for a while. Three main characters, and I believe you can switch between them at any time although I could be wrong.

quote:

Uphold your pact with the Titan of Death, Epimetheus! Fight, climb and solve your way through a twisted tower as three unique adventurers, on a mission to save their village from impending doom!

Three heroic explorers wander the post-apocalyptic desert on a mission to save their village from despair. They soon find a dark, twisted tower that has risen from the depths of the planet and seemingly holds the key to their survival. In order to ensure their victory, one of them has made a secret pact with the Titan of Death, Epimetheus, allowing them to reincarnate until they have accomplished their mission. But what fate lies in store for the heroes and their village?

Astalon: Tears Of The Earth is an action-platformer set in a dying world where life is cruel, but death can be a stepping stone to victory! Use the unique skills and weapons of Arias the fighter, Kyuli the rogue, and Algus the wizard, to surmount the mysterious tower and find the answers to their survival. Slay terrible monsters, discover powerful artifacts, and solve fiendish puzzles, reaching new heights in the tower with the aid of a Titan. Follow a story about friendship and sacrifice, building up the courage to take down giants to protect the weak and powerless. Strengthen your party and change their fate by embracing death. Discover the countless secrets of the Tower of Serpents!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263100/Last_Kids_on_Earth_and_the_Staff_of_Doom/

Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom is a semi-open world action RPG with kids who fight zombies/monsters

quote:

Battle hordes of zombies and monsters in The Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom, a semi open world action RPG that tells a new story in the post-apocalyptic town of Wakefield. Playing as teen survivors Jack, Quint, June or Dirk, you’ll explore zombie-infested streets on your quest to stop Malondre, a powerful adversary from obtaining the Staff of Doom. When you are surrounded by enemies, use your heroes’ unique combat skills to defend the tree house. Summon sorcerer Bardle, warrior Skaelka and other allies for help in battle. Craft upgrades to strengthen your abilities, the treehouse, and getaway vehicle Big Mama. Up to 4 players can tackle the story together in couch co-op or take on waves of enemies in Horde Mode. Can you defeat giant bosses from the animated series, including an all-new enemy, Malondre?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338770/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_Contracts_2/

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is pretty self-explanatory, a single player game where you shoot people in their testicles and stuff.

quote:

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 marks the most challenging entry to the acclaimed series yet, introducing extreme long-range sniping with targets over 1000m away. Featuring a dramatic single-player campaign set in modern day Middle East, experience high-pressure tactical combat, deep inside enemy territory.

Take on the role of Raven, Contract Sniper Assassin, as he embarks on a new series of contracts in a lawless region of the Middle East, located along the Lebanese and Syrian borders. Tasked with a seemingly impossible task, your mission is to topple an insidious criminal syndicate and bring them to justice.

Series veterans are in for a challenge, as Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 demands a new level of skill, focus, and precision, with many targets now over a 1000m away - a first for the series.

Developed by the same studio behind the original game, Contracts 2 pushes new boundaries with its hyper-realistic sniping experience; master a wide arsenal of weaponry based on realistic military equipment; explore vast terrains with an enhanced level of detail; and confront the series’ most lifelike enemies to date.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

Slipways is an interesting-looking space strategy game which strips down and simplifies the experience, creating bite-sized games and a less steep learning curve where you join planets and systems together in certain ways.

quote:

Slipways takes the space grand strategy genre and condenses the best parts of it down by throwing away all the micromanagement and the steep learning curve. The result is a unique blend of the strategy and puzzle genres in which you can finish a run quickly, but still have a deep experience full of tough decisions.

MAKE TRADE, NOT WAR
Colonize planets, carefully pick industries and hook everything up so that your planets support each other. Line everything up just right and watch your colonies evolve and grow, giving you even more options for profitable trade. Make long-term plans and bask in your own glory when that one last connection makes six planets upgrade at the same time and gives you the income you desperately need.

There is no military aspect to pull your focus away from the economy. The game is more relaxed than your typical grand strategy. It's all about exploring space and its endless opportunities, shaping it to your whim and developing it to its full potential. No need for war with so much empty universe to claim.

FASTER THAN LIGHT
Forget about tedious micromanagement and waiting for ships to be built. In Slipways, every action you take has immediate consequences, and every choice you make is of paramount importance. Your planets govern themselves while you focus on making the right decisions to get them what they need. You'll waste none of your precious time on busywork. A single run takes 40-60 minutes and they are all filled with the good stuff.

TECH IT UP A NOTCH
There are no boring technologies here. Instead of making a single building 20% more efficient, technologies in Slipways let you move planets at will, harness stars for energy or colonize planets with sentient machines instead of people. The selection varies each run, so you'll have to plan carefully and adapt to the situation at hand. The path you choose will profoundly change your experience and the way you look at the game's planets and resources.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263100/Last_Kids_on_Earth_and_the_Staff_of_Doom/

Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom is a semi-open world action RPG with kids who fight zombies/monsters

This looks kind of neat but man is $40 asking a lot for what it is or looks like. I guess per the description it's based on some kind of existing property so they're banking on that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, it's based on a Netflix cartoon and graphic novel

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Last Kids on Earth is huge on Netflix, it's Zombie Apocalypse for the 7 - 12 set.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

joe football posted:

This looks kind of neat but man is $40 asking a lot for what it is or looks like. I guess per the description it's based on some kind of existing property so they're banking on that

Yeah I wouldn't pay that or anything near that, frankly. Also didn't know it was for kids which means it's probably too easy for adults

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Last Kids on Earth is huge on Netflix, it's Zombie Apocalypse for the 7 - 12 set.

the violence is ingrained in us hub

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Play posted:

Slipways is an interesting-looking space strategy game which strips down and simplifies the experience, creating bite-sized games and a less steep learning curve where you join planets and systems together in certain ways.

Having tried it out: to be clear, it creates a bite-sized, turn-limited game that you can play in an hour. It still has a steep learning curve and complex puzzles that have to be parsed to do well, and is really much more of a puzzle game than a strategy game. If you liked any of the Zachtronic games, you will probably like this one.

Edit: Or you will hate it, because it has a very finicky, balanced economy and the universe setup is huge and completely random so there's no guarantee that you can actually do very well in the game. Planets will require five or six connections to be successful, and it's quite possible they won't be able to connect to more than two or three of what's around them. The tech tree offers alternatives to help out... assuming the likewise completely random tree generation gives you anything that meshes with your completely random planet generation.

Personally, I hate it right now. Maybe if I hit my head against it for another few hours it'll click and I'll come back and recant, but right now I just don't think it's good.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I haven't played contracts, but I played Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2. It was ok. I highly recommend the Sniper elite series over it though.