Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will say they do get a bit more focus in the Dream arc that the Eternal movies are based on at least but that’s pretty much it (the 90’s anime and PGSM do a much better job in this regard)

macabresca posted:

I'm reading C:Sailor V now and it's so much fun. I felt that manga Minako was a bit bland but it turns out her personality was just delegated to the side story (or prequel, whatev)

Yeah, while manga Minako does have her goofy moments it’s mostly relegated to Codename and the 90’s series.

If you want more Sailor Moon I’d recommend checking out the live action adaption Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the effects are cheesy and the actors barely touch each other during battle but it gives some good development to pretty much every member of the team and puts some interesting twists on the first arc of the series.

For some reason it’s the only SM series that has never gotten any sort of official release in the west so you’d have to track down a fansubbed version.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject, has anyone had a chance to watch the Sailor Moon Eternal movies yet? If so, how were they?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In case people are interested, I am live streaming Ojamajo Doremi on Thursdays at 5pm PDT/8pm EDT/12am UTC/1am BST, come join us at https://cytu.be/r/mahoudou. It's a really great series, so yeah, consider joining my groupwatch?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

On the subject, has anyone had a chance to watch the Sailor Moon Eternal movies yet? If so, how were they?

I quite liked them. It was a fun romp.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I quite liked them. It was a fun romp.

Good to hear, I hope they don’t make us wait another few years for the Stars adaption (and that’s gonna be a weird one all things considered).

Like I said, I also wouldn’t mind if they ever made an anime adaption of Codename: Sailor V and/or some of the side chapters (though two of those were already technically adapted as the Sailor Moon S movie and a short that aired before the SuperS movie).

A next generational sequel ala Boruto and Yashahime could be interesting as well but I’m not sure if Takeuchi would be willing/interested in doing so.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the Eternal movies, is Pegasus voiced by the same guy who voiced him in the Japanese version of SuperS? They sounded pretty similar at least.

Fun Fact: In the dub Zirconia is played by Rita Repulsa herself Barbara Goodson.

Overall the movies were good though, gave the other Guardians more to do, added a bit more comedy than some of the early arcs, and were far superior to their 90’s counterpart (in fact I always considered Dream to be one of the better arcs in the manga to begin with)

Off the subject but out of curiosity, why does Rei’s grandfather look like an average adult in the manga/Crystal but a bald midget with brown skin in the 90’s anime? Did Takeuchi not have a design planned out for him at the time yet?

In the live action series he apparently doesn’t exist at all but it is the only time in the entire franchise (I think anyway) that we see Rei’s dad.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good episode this week that was surprisingly more in depth than your average body swap scenario.

Unfortunately Laura did not manage to turn into Cure Papaya as I’d hoped but we did finally get to meet Minori’s mom at least (leaving Asuka as the only one whose family members have yet to physically appear in the series)

Also apparently the Aqua Pot can suck in literally anything (including humans), I wonder if that’ll ever come up again.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 6, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm a little bit sad they swapped voice actors, it would've been more fun to hear Minori's voice actor playing Laura after they swapped, and vice versa. And it's not the lack of range, looking at their acting credits each actor has played characters quite like their counterpart in the past. Heck, Rina Hidaka who voices Laura did the shrinking violet character Ophelia who showed up not even a month ago in Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, that performance would've been really on point for playing Minori. And no, I'm not bringing that up because Vivy is my anime of the season if not the year and I will take any opportunity to gush about it. It totally is why I'm ringing it up.

Anyways, Laura becomes a precure in T minus 2 episodes…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, in my opinion body swap episodes are a lot more fun when the actors are allowed to play against type rather than just keep playing their characters but in a different body.

Laura’s bit of hesitation when answering Minori’s question about being human was a nice touch as well. Also I don’t think it was ever explained exactly why they switched or how they switched back in the first place.

Also the preview mentioned that Laura has been reading the Little Mermaid and there’s a shot of her staring longingly out a window, coupled with what we know is coming I’ve got a pretty good sense of how things are going to go down at this point.

Now that Laura’s character evolution is almost complete I kind of hope they start focusing more on developing the villains (such as going into their backstory a bit and giving us more information on what Butler and the Witch are actually trying to accomplish).

Also the Witch of Delays herself looks kind of like a giant mermaid, maybe she has some connection to Laura and/or the current queen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Also the Witch of Delays herself looks kind of like a giant mermaid, maybe she has some connection to Laura and/or the current queen.

Her bottom is a Octopus or Squid. She is like the Sea Witch from Little Mermaid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Her bottom is a Octopus or Squid. She is like the Sea Witch from Little Mermaid.

Ah ok, but regardless given the fact the preview mentions that Laura’s been reading that story and has gotten a taste of being human I wouldn’t be surprised if she tries to strike a deal with the Witch in next week’s episode.

She could still have some connection to Laura’s kingdom regardless though (in some versions of the story the Sea Witch was the sister of King Triton who wound up being banished)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 6, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've watched SuperS movie (Black Dream Hole, what a freaking great title), probably the last Sailor Moon thing I'll see in a while. It was very good! Thematically similar to tv series, and supers in particular, but I really liked the oneiric imagery and the story of luring children with flute to candy land. Pretty sure it's not just a variation of one classic fairy-tail, but a mixture of a couple of them but they work together nicely. And some good faces and comedy. Also, destroying a black hole with (tiny sceptre rapiers and) FEELINGS

And Ami Gaiden had some prime sort Ami content

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

My wife and I split it up over the past two nights, she apparently read all of the manga as a kid and this movie has her seal of approval. Me personally, I was howling at Haruka's (Uranus? I don't know anybody's normie name) power lesbian outfit at the start of part 2. That was worth the price of admission alone.

Bring on the Stars adaptation, from what little pieces my wife has shown or told me it sounds absolutely buck wild.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while this could have easily been Crystal Season 4 instead I liked the movies for the most part (they were a lot better than SuperS at the very least)

Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 5 years for them to get around to doing Stars

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Magia Record anime returns this summer:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-summer/.173784

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ojamajo stream in one hour's time at https://cytu.be/r/mahoudou

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Buckle up next week we get Mid season cure who we have no idea who it will be it's Laura

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 16: This show's done really well with Laura's development. She’s gone from seeing humans as pawns to asking Minori how to become human. And the villains got smarter too, tricking Laura with a bunch of fake bottles so she can't use the Aqua Pot (curse you, nice boat!)

This is the first real two-parter in the show so far, and the pieces are being set up quite well. Looking forward to Laura officially becoming a Cure next weekend.

Seems like we’re getting a new ED next week as well:

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Aiming_To_Go_My_Way!!

Not sure if any clips of the song have come out yet though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I was expecting a Little Mermaid esque scenario here somehow I kind of thought Laura would be the one to initiate the deal.

Given what’s coming I imagine Laura decides to screw the Witch over but still manages to find a way to become human (and a whole lot more) regardless.

Now it’s just a question of whether this is a permanent change like Siren/Ellen or if she’ll still be able to switch back to mermaid form when needed (somehow I’m expecting the latter in this case)

Also we learn this episode that the Tropical Rouge powers do indeed allow the girls to breathe underwater (which will probably be convenient in the future)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Tropical Rouge movie comes out on October 23rd:

https://2021.precure-movie.com/

That’s literally all we know at this point as far as I’m aware

E: I just noticed, if you look close you can see snowflakes in the background around the logo.

Also for anyone that can translate, does the red text above the logo say anything significant or is it just “The Movie” or something like that?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 19, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The text of the top literally just says "the movie".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The text of the top literally just says "the movie".

That’s what I thought. Judging by the background it seems like the movie has a winter theme of some kind.

Kind of bummed we’re not getting a crossover this year though as the Star Twinkle and Hugtto teams barely mattered in Miracle Leap (same with Chiyu and Hinata for that matter).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Turned into the Raw stream too early and we had Fresh Precure henshin music for golf high lights!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the movie, apparently those that watched the Healin Good one claim there was a short teaser included that shows Manatsu standing in a snowy area next to a snowman. Not sure if there’s any proof out there to back this up though

But enough about Pretty Cure: Tropical Freeze for now, we have a new Cure to meet:

So it wasn't the witch who gave Laura her powers - that would have been a bad choice - but instead the Queen. We returned to Grand Ocean after a long time, and Laura was granted her powers. She didn't use the bubble gun, but she really likes to use her new legs. Though we'll get more detail on what exactly is going on with Laura's human situation next week. Either way, her debut episode was really good.

We also got the second ED tonight. Love it honestly, it’s really catchy and kinda rock-y.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it's pretty good

Also proves my theory that they're doing all the big moments around their usual time so I expect this will be a shorter series to get everything back on trach

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah it's pretty good

Also proves my theory that they're doing all the big moments around their usual time so I expect this will be a shorter series to get everything back on trach

I think that was basically already confirmed by the DVD volumes (which equal out to about 45-46 episodes), the show starting later than usual, the mid season Cure AND second ED debuting now instead of at some point in the early twenties, and the lack of an All Stars movie this year.

So yeah, provided nothing extreme happens it’s looking like the 2022 series will officially put things back on track as far as scheduling is concerned.

Also anybody know what the second ED is called?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Found it, it’s called Aiming To Go My Way:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KIWyCXxeIII

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It was nice to see some of the villains finally confront the Cures directly (we even got a glimpse of Butler’s powers briefly), hopefully Numeri and Elda will get in on the action soon since the OP shows they both can fight (the former uses telekinesis and the latter can shoot lightning from her antennae).

But yeah, now that Laura’s arc is almost complete I hope they finally start giving the Witch and her cronies the development they deserve (I’m still guessing that Butler either is/is working for the true mastermind or at the very least is the only one the Witch trusted with her plans. The other three seem completely in the dark about why they’re collecting motivation power at the very least.)

Also we got an early preview of Human Laura during Cure La Mer’s transformation sequence despite said design not officially appearing until the next episode, which implies that we’ve probably got another Ellen situation on our hands here (though likely not a permanent one unless Laura just chooses to stay human at the end and pursue a new dream)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 20, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think my favorite bit of the episode is them basically skipping past the question of where Laura is going to stay from now on and just doing the obvious thing. I am really happy with how the show is pacing itself and making a point of generally only spending time on interesting things; there's been very little in this season that's felt perfunctory, like they were doing it just because they gotta. All of the mandatory bits were done and portrayed in a way that had a lot of energy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just noticed a neat little thing about LaMer’s design: the gap between the top and bottom parts of her outfit looks like shark teeth

But yeah, this show has been really fun so far and is easily going to be one of my top favorites (perhaps even replacing Suite in the #1 spot) provided it can keep this up all the way to the end

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just a heads up: the Olympics are apparently being held after all so that means no Precure for about 3 weeks starting on July 25th.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Magia Record Season 2 starts on July 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeVyUINxB0

Also they're splitting the remaining parts of main story arc 1 into two separate seasons, the "Final Season" will air late this year. (It sounds like it will be two short seasons rather than a full 12-13 eps for each?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/magireco/status/1408380449831981057

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Can't believe they spent all of this episode of Tropical Rouge building to the obvious joke of Laura not being able to swim in human form

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Weird they didn’t update the OP yet since they already changed the ED last week, and just as I figured Laura can swap forms at will (though her sucking at swimming while in human form is kind of funny). Fun episode though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LaMer unfortunately did not get much more of a fight this time around than she did last episode though (I do find it funny that even now Laura is still making almost no effort to hide her identity around the school however)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't know what you mean. No way the new Transfer student Laura La Mer could have anything to fo with Cure La Mer!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I don't know what you mean. No way the new Transfer student Laura La Mer could have anything to fo with Cure La Mer!

I like that she’s still Laura despite having matured a bit in terms of her attitude (plus she’s still spouting off stuff like being from the Grand Ocean, wanting to be Queen, and even brought up her “other” form at the end of the episode. She probably would have turned back into a mermaid as well if the others hadn’t stopped her). Then again, Laura has never been good at keeping her presence secret so I wouldn’t mind seeing this gag continue.

Some magazine/toy scans do show that Cure LaMer has a personal weapon of her own (turning her Pact into some kind of bubble gun) so I hope we actually get a chance to see her use it sometime soon (still waiting on the inevitable 5 Cure transformation sequence as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 27, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I once again appreciate the incredible economy of function in this season, quickly answering whether Laura can just transform freely (yes) to move on to the more enjoyable part of the episode which is Laura, expectation versus reality, which is a great way to quickly integrate her into the setting in a very Laura kind of way. The fact she still has absolutely no preservation instinct remains hilarious, she was totally going to transform at the end there if the rest of the cast hadn't immediately tackled her..

SatoshiMiwa posted:

To be fair, basically nobody really seems to know about the girls in general being that they're essentially in a fugue due to monster attack. Which is probably for the best, because if they weren't Laura would make absolutely no effort to hide her identity because she never does.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A lot of people in my sphere were referencing Golden Boy re Laura's inablity to swim as a human and as an older anime fan that made me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So place your bets, how long at this point until Laura winds up exposing her true form to someone at the school (because with her current mindset it’s really more a matter of “when” rather than “if”)

I’m also curious how the inevitable group transformation/roll call between the 5 of them is going to work seeing as Laura has a slightly different sequence than the others. I also hope she gets a solo fight at some point so she can show off more of her new skills as a Precure.

Finally, apparently the Olympics are still happening this year which means no new episodes for a few weeks after we hit 21 (give or take an episode). I wonder if they plan on leaving things off on some sort of cliffhanger or something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 27, 2021