Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I wonder about where society's head is at, post 2020. I know the brothers have been pretty open about how it became harder to be funny as the pandemic continued, but I'm kinda curious if the only podcast that saw major insane growth was Joe Rogan cause everyone's lost their minds to cabin fever. Maxfun might be just fine for the long haul but I'd be curious to see how the non-McElroy shows are doing. I'd be curious to know if there's any increased sense of burnout across the board.

This isn't really related closely to the downfall of the McElroy video, as I think you can find plenty of indicators in just about every facet of life right now that things are going to be seriously weird as countries attempt to return to some normalcy. But maybe 5 years from now, we'll look back on the last year of stuff (from pop culture/entertainment to politics to just...basic socializing) and realize how batshit everyone collectively got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I for one think it's silly to do a post mortem on a group whose second T.V. show is in production. They may have hit their plateau, but barring any actual controversy they'll be fine for at least a few years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I for one think it's silly to do a post mortem on a group whose second T.V. show is in production. They may have hit their plateau, but barring any actual controversy they'll be fine for at least a few years.

It definitely feels like it focuses on the loudest and angriest fans when calling it that, which is what people wanna hear about but also it's something you can't quite measure.

Podcast listener numbers can be annoying to find, but as far as I can tell The Adventure Zone has been holding fairly steady over the past few years? That's a more meaningful metric than what the angriest people online are saying. A lot of listeners presumably just don't give a dang when, say, Travis puts his foot into his mouth on social media.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

scopes posted:

What exactly comprises the "decline of the Mcelroy media empire?"

That's the flashy headline, but the video itself is using them more as a case study to talk broadly about :

- How podcasters/content folks cultivate parasocial relationships with their listeners and the blessing/curses of that
- That it's hard to balance a folksly family persona when you are a business
- Sustained growth is a hell of a thing to maintain

Srice posted:

Podcast listener numbers can be annoying to find, but as far as I can tell The Adventure Zone has been holding fairly steady over the past few years?

They're still pulling in respectable numbers, probably, but it's a fair metric to see how comparatively low engagements posts on the new episodes get compared to Balance's heyday. Also fan-art, google search interest, etc. etc. It's not a fair bar to compare it to, but they did set it for themselves.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ivypls posted:

to me the weirdest podcast network is parcast, they pump out a million different podcasts all written by the same guys and narrated badly by a host of different people. i listened to their cults one for a while but they're so weird and robotic that i eventually bailed

Haha those fuckers. They always tell interesting stories but it's bogged down by two actors reading a script like they've been told to strip all emotion from their voices and some dubious reenactments.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

Am I crazy or is that Disco Dancing Dinosaur Party song literally just The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang?

Just listened to this. Bass on the upbeat with a four on the floor drum beat with an identical four chord progression that's very popular in music. While there are a few degrees of similarity US courts have supported that idea that only a single note needs to be different to define a new IP. There was a procedural song algorithm made by a couple of people who literally broke the way it all works by generating every possible melody and then making it public domain.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxepzw/musicians-algorithmically-generate-every-possible-melody-release-them-to-public-domain

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Sustained growth being hard to maintain kind of sums up Maxfun. The problem is that they could stand to grow, but they've built a little too much of a box for themselves. They don't have any real trend podcasts. It wouldn't kill them to get a video game cast, or a true crime cast, or something starring a comedian that has some bite. As it stands, I get that modern "millenial daycare" vibe from their whole channel.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don’t they have a video game podcast with Jason Schreier and two other videogames people who I can’t remember right now on it?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

But have you seen that ENGAGEMENT on the TAZcirclejerk and those upvotes?! The lower amount of fanart!!! the McElroy media empire is freaking finished! :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

thebardyspoon posted:

Don’t they have a video game podcast with Jason Schreier and two other videogames people who I can’t remember right now on it?

yes, Triple Click

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Justin appears in their latest bonus episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is The Besties still a thing?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I feel like your confusion kind of adds to my point. I listen to Triple-Click in episode blocks and it's low-energy topical discussions where everybody seems afraid to take opinions on even simple topics, which is very Maxfun. Or, I can go listen to something like Giant Bombcast (RIP) or Castle Superbeast where nerds will have high-energy funny conversations about DMC lore in addition to topics like game politics.

fatherboxx posted:

But have you seen that ENGAGEMENT on the TAZcirclejerk and those upvotes?! The lower amount of fanart!!! the McElroy media empire is freaking finished! :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

I genuinely have no idea what your point is. The things you said are perfectly reasonable signifiers of lack of engagement with Graduation.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 3, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Is The Besties still a thing?

Yep. Their contract with Spotify ended so it's back up on any podcast platform, and totally ad-free!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

I genuinely have no idea what your point is. The things you said are perfectly reasonable signifiers of lack of engagement with Graduation.

It is pretty clear that TAZ has been on a decline from the end of Balance (creatively and popularity-wise) but the show still goes and McElroys are not in a hurry of looking for day jobs again because of people making fun of Travis on reddit

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Pennsylvanian posted:

I listen to Triple-Click in episode blocks and it's low-energy topical discussions where everybody seems afraid to take opinions on even simple topics, which is very Maxfun.
I've listened to Triple Click weekly since it was Splitscreen and your criticism is valid. Some episodes of Triple Click are neither funny nor especially informative which is a bad place to be if you want to build a listener base. I think they need to bring on more guests or something, but they don't seem willing to put any more effort into the show than the current amount.

"afraid to take opinions" is a little broad though, there was a recent episode where Jason tried to take a hard line against gacha games and Kirk/Maddy took a weird "but all games are addictive" stance. But I get the feeling Jason is an incredibly irritating person to argue with so I'm fine with it not being any more heated than that.

I'm choosing to believe that both Triple Click and The Besties are especially low energy in this moment due to the slump in games releases, but who knows.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

They're still pulling in respectable numbers, probably, but it's a fair metric to see how comparatively low engagements posts on the new episodes get compared to Balance's heyday.
I see it as a good ol' reversion to the mean. Balance somehow set sail the ships of a million tumblr teens, and that's really not an audience you can keep the attention of forever.

In my view TAZ's runaway success is the aberration, not their inability to sustain exponential growth.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"We got 20,000 new people to give us money, which is not quite the amount we wanted" does not sound like a decline to me. It sounds like downright lucky given the world's situation. I do wonder how big a drop off there is, I assume there must be a lot of people who got all their goodies/listened to what they wanted and then stop their subscription.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If the McElroy's left max fun, they would both make way more money on Patreon and instantly kill Max Fun

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sivart13 posted:

I see it as a good ol' reversion to the mean. Balance somehow set sail the ships of a million tumblr teens, and that's really not an audience you can keep the attention of forever.

In my view TAZ's runaway success is the aberration, not their inability to sustain exponential growth.

True! Still valid to note they weren't able to sustain it for whatever reason. It's not really a bad thing, they're doing fine, it's just what it is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

But I get the feeling Jason is an incredibly irritating person to argue with so I'm fine with it not being any more heated than that.

lmao exactly, triple click absolutely exudes the "i already know it's not worth it to try to argue with This Guy" vibe sometimes

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

As opposed to Superbeast/Best Friendcast where Pat is "that guy" but it's done with the purpose to energize everyone else on the cast. I would love to see someone on Triple-Click screaming at Jason Schreier about the Game Boy library or something.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I fell off Triple Click despite being a big fan of both Kirk Hamilton and Jason Schreier because yeah, it's sadly pretty bland. Spoilers being relegated to side content means they have a very limited ability to discuss a lot of the games they're talking about in detail - they almost have to stick to broad strokes because they can't discuss specific narrative elements or mechanical twists.

I'd really recommend Kirk Hamilton's music podcast, Strong Songs, though. It's meticulously researched, clearly a passion project from a skilled musician, where he goes over various hit songs and examines them on a musical composition level. Genuinely informative and his enthusiasm for the material is infectious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah Strong Songs is an absolute delight and Kirk is unbelievably talented

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

I stopped the episode at some point during the Chuck E. Cheese children's album, is there a good bit in the last 10 min?

You shouldn't have - it was fantastic.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mae posted:

If the McElroy's left max fun, they would both make way more money on Patreon and instantly kill Max Fun

It'd be murder-suicide because MaxFun handles their tour booking and literally none of the McElroys can talk to a stranger without a full on panic attack.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Are you having fun?"

"I'm having the most fun ever!!!"

"AWESOME!!!"

Followed by Travis "you get to live!" really nailed the energy of that awful song

It was great

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

It'd be murder-suicide because MaxFun handles their tour booking and literally none of the McElroys can talk to a stranger without a full on panic attack.

And while I'm not sure how it is for the McElroys in particular, MaxFun also has people that will edit podcasts and if you go off to patreon that's an added expense too.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Srice posted:

And while I'm not sure how it is for the McElroys in particular, MaxFun also has people that will edit podcasts and if you go off to patreon that's an added expense too.

I think the brothers edit their own podcasts or if they don't do now they definitely used to.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Acute Grill posted:

I think the brothers edit their own podcasts or if they don't do now they definitely used to.

I always thought that it was one of Griffin's duties but during one of the latest MaxFunDrive pitches they said they used the money to hire an editor.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

I always thought that it was one of Griffin's duties but during one of the latest MaxFunDrive pitches they said they used the money to hire an editor.

I believe Rachel (Griffin's wife) edits them now for some reason? I seem to remember Justin referencing her by name as the one who would have to go through and edit in all the coin jar sounds everytime they said "this" in that one episode where they were doing that bit

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

99% sure they just happened to hire someone named Rachel as opposed to Griffin's wife, who is also busy with their infant and young kid, having to do all the editing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

eke out posted:

lmao exactly, triple click absolutely exudes the "i already know it's not worth it to try to argue with This Guy" vibe sometimes

but also to be fair anyone who defends gacha games is a turbo dumbass lmao

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

dmboogie posted:

B-but I play them!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

dmboogie posted:

Excuse me, pulling the lever is the fun. Not winning the prize is secondary!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

listen im not immune to propaganda i collect the occasional anime jpg myself just don’t even try to defend their business model and we’re good

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

I stopped the episode at some point during the Chuck E. Cheese children's album, is there a good bit in the last 10 min?
The Chuck E. Cheese parts of this episode were just okay but I'm always gonna give Justin poo poo for playing brand audio on the podcast instead of thinking joke.

It mostly reminded me of a superior podcast episode about a fictional character's song career: Podcast: The Ride - McGruff the Crime Dog's Music Career

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

timp posted:

I believe Rachel (Griffin's wife) edits them now for some reason? I seem to remember Justin referencing her by name as the one who would have to go through and edit in all the coin jar sounds everytime they said "this" in that one episode where they were doing that bit

Their editor a separate person who is also called Rachel, not Griffin's wife.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not Griffins wife YET

You can add this silly word to the end of any true descriptor of a relationship and it is still true!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Not Griffins wife YET

You can add this silly word to the end of any true descriptor of a relationship and it is still true yet!

Dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Somehow I don’t believe Justin when he says Munch Squad is not sponsored.