Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
family sucks
facebook sucks
avoid both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

btw i deleted my facebook about 3 years ago and it was good

i also have excised google from my life now too. livin the dream

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd go nuts without youtube

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gentle Autist posted:

btw i deleted my facebook about 3 years ago and it was good

i also have excised google from my life now too. livin the dream

please do the forums next

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Stringent posted:

and search

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

just dont reply to them on fb.

its that easy.

pop over to signal or telegram or even imessages and continue the convo, and anybody x-er or older will just shift to that. if they ask "why didnt you reply on fb" just say "it's messed up on my phone and doesnt work"

over time you will be 'the nephew thats on telegram' yes, but they also always know how to get ahold of you

mark zuckerberg is a skin suit owning nazi don't give him tracking data

yeah. for me, facebook is for seeing family baby photos and pet pics. i just call or text family and if they ask i tell them i backed off facebook because it kept filling with frustrating junk and nobody has questioned my reason for not replying there

sticking to the browser version with blockers and a pihole for any interaction cuts out site tracking to the point where the account ad history is blank lol

speaking of, pihole has seen less trackers for me since the apple tracking change and i wonder if that really did cut it in half

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stringent posted:

am I one of the weird people that doesn't really watch youtube? every time i pop over there it's mostly just a default algorithm and whatever how-to videos i looked up last week being reccommended to me and none of it looks interesting.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

am I one of the weird people that doesn't really watch youtube? every time i pop over there it's mostly just a default algorithm and whatever how-to videos i looked up last week being reccommended to me and none of it looks interesting.
https://youtu.be/FA4ZSrAYOkQ

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sometimes i search for topics on youtube im interested in, like how to use the lensatic compass my gf gave me and i got an informative video from a chill old dude on how to use it.

i think you have to search for things instead of mashing on your recommended videos only

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you are not weird. never browse youtube, just search for very specific things and watch single videos that get recommended (by humans, outside of youtube itself)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i watch cooking shows and wrestling and sometimes music videos on youtube and that's p much it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

you are not weird. never browse youtube, just search for very specific things and watch single videos that get recommended (by humans, outside of youtube itself)

i think my problem is if there's something i want to learn about i want to read an article or website about it, not watch a video :/

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
what do you mean, you don't like 30-minute long videos explaining how to do thing with 5 sponsor breaks that could be a short article on a website???

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

some things are easier to learn watching others do it instead of just reading it. you can see the length of the video before you click on it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Boiled Water posted:

my girlfriend has an apple watch and it's basically an interruption and stress machine. Every time we're out for something it buzzes and it's something on FB or snapchat she has to deal with right this moment no matter what we're doing

so yeah get one if you like being interrupted all the time

imagine setting up and allowing facebook notifications on a watch.

hell, imagine using facebook.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zam Wesell posted:

and search

i use duckduckgo for 99% of searches and its fine.

there is an occasional thing where i have to type in google and use google, but it’s like…. once a month? usually when i am looking for something really specific that i previously found on google.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

some things are easier to learn watching others do it instead of just reading it. you can see the length of the video before you click on it

absolutely and most of my youtube searches that i actually do are like, watching someone replace a pressure regulator on their water main

but if I'm looking for reviews on a tent like i was last week, for instance, I would rather read or skim an article on it than watch a 15-30min video about it.

nothing wrong with youtube, I just never think to stop there for anything. it's weird when a youtube video is posted somewhere on the forums and there's a bunch of people referring to the person by their name and i have no clue who they're talking about. maybe i'm just old now

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i don't know how people 30+ aren't constantly amazed by youtube. tv was loving poo poo growing up. terrible, middle-of-the-road content on a strict schedule. interested in weird sports from around the world? you can only see that with a giant satellite dish and staying up to 4am

now you can literally think of anything at all and check it out. i would have killed for this as a kid

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
when the handful of TV channels we had as a kid didn't have anything on I wanted, I'd go play or read instead. now kids are sucked into an algorithmically chosen non-stop content playlist of unboxing videos and pregnant Elsa/Spiderman mashups, leading eventually to right wing speaking points. how is that better?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

when the handful of TV channels we had as a kid didn't have anything on I wanted, I'd go play or read instead. now kids are sucked into an algorithmically chosen non-stop content playlist of unboxing videos and pregnant Elsa/Spiderman mashups, leading eventually to right wing speaking points. how is that better?
and we all drank from the garden hose and never got sick

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kids these days!! - yospos

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

back in my day we posted hot computer chicks and the yosposest pics we had. and we LIKED IT

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The only thread of continuity between the fallen present and the irrecoverable past is that the os have always been pos

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

well, yeah. playing outside is definitely better. so:

playing outside > youtube > tv

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not about to fully give up youtube no. for one a small handful of channels which i've collected over the year and watch everything on. also my brother does videos for his frankenstein car projects.

for facebook: remember that you can deactivate your facebook account without getting off facebook messenger. the distinction is perhaps mostly theoretical, but to me at least deactivating the site itself while not bothering every single person i have contact with via messenger was a really good tradeoff. gets the cookie off of my browser, and thus much of the ad revenue related, not least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lord funk posted:

i don't know how people 30+ aren't constantly amazed by youtube. tv was loving poo poo growing up. terrible, middle-of-the-road content on a strict schedule. interested in weird sports from around the world? you can only see that with a giant satellite dish and staying up to 4am

now you can literally think of anything at all and check it out. i would have killed for this as a kid
yeah youtube is way better because you can get terrible, middle-of-the road content on YOUR schedule! c

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

call your grandma on the phone. she misses you and wants to hear your voice. do not slide into your grandmas dms.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i almost never use youtube because i physically cannot for some reason watch videos. i have to read text to absorb information or pay any attention to it at all.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

imagine setting up and allowing facebook notifications on a watch.

hell, imagine using facebook.

it could be much worse, a close blood relation of mine refuses to use anything but the cheapest in chinese android phones and complains endlessly about how quickly they all break

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
youtube is good because the content is vast
tv was good because it wasn't so people had things in common. i could go to school and talk about 90210 or w/e and somebody else would know what im talking about. Who the gently caress am i going to rap with about Ask A Mortician or donoteat?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody on full house ever stared at the camera and begged me to smash that like button

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I wonder how annoying it is for google to have to deal with so many real, actual users on a platform like YouTube. they can’t quietly just stop supporting it or kill it off. must be torture to not be able to completely gut/redesign it or make other competing platforms on a regular basis like most of their other products

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody on full house ever stared at the camera and begged me to smash that like button
tune in next week!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Who the gently caress am i going to rap with about Ask A Mortician?

my spouse loves her

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I wonder how annoying it is for google to have to deal with so many real, actual users on a platform like YouTube. they can’t quietly just stop supporting it or kill it off. must be torture to not be able to completely gut/redesign it or make other competing platforms on a regular basis like most of their other products

it makes $6 billion a quarter i'm sure they don't mind that much

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Last Chance posted:

you should look at more youtubers twitters, because youtube constantly redesigns backend and algorithm poo poo in ways that gently caress over smaller channels, then the really big channels all tweet that they had it explained to them personally and the minnows need to stop whining or read their email with zero self awareness that they might get treated differently

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

y'all are smart enough to know about BIG ALGORITHM but can't do a little searching for good content smh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

njsykora posted:

you should look at more youtubers twitters

eh i'm good, thanks for the inside scoop though. i assumed google would mismanage this some how

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
iPhone plus Apple Watch and AirPods Pro is such a powerful combination. absolutely great. chefs kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

also they constantly introduce new services through youtube, like remember youtube red? i don't even remember what it was or how it was different from youtube premium i just remember the name