Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I still like GameFAQs because ctrl-f'ing through a document is way quicker than skimming a youtube video.

Plus like, GameFAQs guys tend to be pretty thorough, one FAQ can often be an entire encyclopedia about the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Never could beat Kate Marsh's second form where she starts spinning and throwing fire and I think you have to touch the statues in order or something.

It took me a moment to realize you're probably not talking about the final boss to Banjo Kazooie lol.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Hello from the Deviantart thread

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hatty posted:

When gamefaqs dies thousands of my terrible preteen posts go with it. God bless

Don't worry, we all have those backed up to use against you in court.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zil posted:

Don't worry, we all have those backed up to use against you in court.

The Library of Congress might also

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/1400496977784283136
https://twitter.com/Futterish/status/1400497850895802369

Good questions - what exactly is the point of "E3" in an era when any publisher can independently put together their own livestream to make announcements? nostalgic branding, I guess?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hatty posted:

Ugh, just had a horribly intrusive memory of my thousands of speculative posts on nietzschean eternal recurrence in the Xenosaga series.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

they axed the game-specific social boards years ago so i'm safe!

the new design looks bad but 99% of my time there is spent looking at text files and bad mspaint maps courtesy of starfighters76

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

Good questions - what exactly is the point of "E3" in an era when any publisher can independently put together their own livestream to make announcements? nostalgic branding, I guess?

Nothing, really. I don't expect E3 to stick around much longer now that publishers know they don't need E3.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole of the ESA only still exists because of inertia anyway. Hopefully a few more years will kill it for good.

That said I do sort of miss the spectacle of the ridiculous booths and on-the-floor coverage. I can't remember the last time I watched a game preview filmed from a camera, commentated by a PR rep with a deafening crowd noise in the background.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arzaac posted:

most games should let you marry the dragon imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arzaac posted:

most games should let you marry the dragon imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that double post wasn't an accident I empty quoted it twice because this issue is extremely important to me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I gave Castlevania 64 a real chance for the first time last night and its surprisingly OK. Avoided getting too into it before due to it looking ugly even for the era and the terrible reviews but its fun seeing the first take of a traditional Castlevania in 3D, If I could find my memory pak I may just play all the way through and give the direct sequel a try.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Blazin' hot takes coming through (FFX-2 is not really a guilty pleasure because I have no shame but it's the closest to the spirit of the question).

I'm glad you clarified that. There's nothing guilty about X-2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Legacy of Darkness is less a sequel and more the same game with a bunch of extra stuff and improvements

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I said come in! posted:

I have found GameFAQs to be less and less relevant over the years, Youtube walkthroughs are much better, at least for me, I do better when I see another player play out a section I am confused about, or am able to look at screenshots, and maps.

It depends on the game. I use GameFAQs a good bit for things like Ace Attorney because it's just easier and I can keep it open in a tab on my phone without hogging too many resources.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

E3 also used to be a real "trade show" in that retailers would attend and take meetings in order to make stocking and purchasing decisions, but lol that industry sector has become as useless and dead as the ESA itself, and it's yet another thing that publishers are increasingly controlling in-house (through direct services and online shops)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

Legacy of Darkness is less a sequel and more the same game with a bunch of extra stuff and improvements

Huh so it is, that's cool I'll just give that one a go then. I was enamored by SoTN at the time so I never paid the 64 games any mind.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have they stopped working on E4?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Have they stopped working on E4?

No that came out back on 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khz_ped0TLU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla posted:

It depends on the game. I use GameFAQs a good bit for things like Ace Attorney because it's just easier and I can keep it open in a tab on my phone without hogging too many resources.

You gotta use a guide for Ace Attorney, some of those clicks are VERY finicky

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone seen E1 and E2?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wuggles posted:

You gotta use a guide for Ace Attorney, some of those clicks are VERY finicky

The worst are the objections that need the same piece of evidence 2 or 3 times in a row. It's so obvious that you're almost guaranteed not to do it and it's infuriating.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I swear I've had a few times where the question is so open-ended that like, 2 or 3 different evidence items could realistically be used and I inevitably guess the wrong one first

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's a common complaint

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's one testimony in the fifth case of the first game where you have to press statements in an incredibly specific order and no matter how many times I play it, it still trips me up.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone seen E1 and E2?

We don't talk about E2 here, for reasons...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, and lets not forget all the times the series punishes you for pressing the wrong statement

Looking at you, Justice for All

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

There's one testimony in the fifth case of the first game where you have to press statements in an incredibly specific order and no matter how many times I play it, it still trips me up.

Is that the remake add on? That one is so out of line compared to the rest of the game that I just used a guide for the whole thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I will not be silenced, I will always talk about e2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mix6xvgtE

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My son is now a fan of Ace Attorney and the first thing I did was introduce him to GameFAQs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Having now actively watched an hour of a Quest 64 longplay, I can confirm that it’s really, really boring

Neat idea(s):
- you regain control of your guy right after an enemy attacks, letting you dodge if you’re quick enough
- there’s a parasol enemy called “PARASSAULT”
- there’s a marionette enemy called “MARIONASTY”

Problem(s):
- random encounter rate is high
- poo poo writing
- enemy attacks are all repurposed player spells
- your guy’s name is Brian

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Catpain Slack posted:

Hello from the Deviantart thread

nightmare.fuel.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

nightmare.fuel.

That's nothing considering what else gets posted in that thread.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quest 64 may be boring but the speedrun is kinda cool because there's a weird exploit where you can trigger the level-up box while you're dying and just...repeatedly level up like 30 times before you die for real

They basically just do that as soon as possible and then blitz through the game with your big big spells

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm not sure if it's creepy or gross.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla posted:

My son is now a fan of Ace Attorney and the first thing I did was introduce him to GameFAQs.

"Son, it's time I introduced you to the ancient texts"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about Suikoden 2, and how there’s definitely a scene where a young woman gives a border guard a blowjob in exchange for passage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
there you are

Waffleman_ posted:

The one thing that really hosed me up in that case was the special info I was supposed to notice in the drawing that I never noticed because it was done by a kid. I had written off a ton of the details in that drawing as just "this was drawn by a kid so of course it isn't 100% accurate to what happened."

Walla posted:

I'm not sure if it's creepy or gross.

It's just a Goya painting redone with Kirby so however you feel about Goya