Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KnifeWrench posted:

what about that canadian dude who definitely actually died?

the guy who proved arms have no inherent value? or was there another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

blugu64 posted:

the guy who proved arms have no inherent value? or was there another one?

there was an exchange ceo that just happened to take a trip to india and died from spicy food at the exact time it was found that they lost all their money

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boxturret posted:

there was an exchange ceo that just happened to take a trip to india and died from spicy food at the exact time it was found that they lost all their money

closed casket funeral and they refuse to exhume the body for identity verification.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
who was later found to have repeatedly run ponzi schemes since the day he first gained internet access

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

also i think there was something about the company legally belonging to his dog

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
v. rude to call his widow that - but as long as you don't correspond through her lawyers she'll never hear it

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Boxturret posted:

also i think there was something about the company legally belonging to his dog

“ain’t no rule says dogs can’t play basketball be a CEO!” the SEC probably

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The_Franz posted:

and legit thought he was hiring internet assassins who turned out to be feds

Did anyone ever claim the “Carl Mark Force IV” name as a username? Asking for a fed

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Beelzebufo posted:

Pi rat eat 40 what...?

You are making a joke but that’s how I always read it back in the day (Even pronouncing it that way!)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

i wonder if people in like early 1929 dumping money into us steel had big drunk parties where they all cheered about it

thinking about it, they definitely did didn't they

Nope. Rich folk have platters of cocaine, razor blades, and straws. Alcohol is only a while before you leave, so you can drive home drunk to cover for the cocaine overdose.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the dead canadian exchange with the dead canadian founder was QuadrigaCX. this happened right before the panamanian "not technically a financial institution" financial institution than handled their real money transactions was targetted by the doj and a bunch of people got arrested/indicted. doj says that crypto capital was/is a front for laundering by/through crypto exchanges

apparently crypto capital was the "financial institution" bitfinex used for the original shell game with tether, when they were still claiming that tether.io was a separate entity that was stepping in to cover bitfinex's shortfall after the "hack" and 30% haircut thing

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Can't wait for McAfee's version!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Nope. Rich folk have platters of cocaine, razor blades, and straws. Alcohol is only a while before you leave, so you can drive home drunk to cover for the cocaine overdose.

i mean in the 20's alcohol was illegal and i'm pretty sure you could buy cocaine over the counter at every general store so it might have been a bit different

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boxturret posted:

has beepi given a statement on this?

i think he gave his statement as soon as his art sold and it was along the lines of "lol wtf are you doing this is such a scam thanks for the money bye"

https://decrypt.co/62547/beeple-immediately-changed-his-53-million-nft-takings-from-eth-to-usd

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

i mean in the 20's alcohol was illegal and i'm pretty sure you could buy cocaine over the counter at every general store so it might have been a bit different

I posted that because I thought it was “cute,” but you are correct at the same time. Funny how many legislators don’t seem to have studied history. 🤓

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Someone mentioned a story earlier about a guy who tried to peddle Bitcoin as the way of the future to a forum for sex workers? Does anyone have more info on that? It sounds familiar but I'm having a lot of trouble looking it up.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You're gonna need to narrow it down

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Someone mentioned a story earlier about a guy who tried to peddle Bitcoin as the way of the future to a forum for sex workers? Does anyone have more info on that? It sounds familiar but I'm having a lot of trouble looking it up.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20984.0 this is one of them, basically guy has genius idea for cam sites to start using bitcoin, then a woman who actually runs a cam site comes in to give some constructive critisism and the guy takes it as her trying to get in on it

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chalks posted:

i think he gave his statement as soon as his art sold and it was along the lines of "lol wtf are you doing this is such a scam thanks for the money bye"

https://decrypt.co/62547/beeple-immediately-changed-his-53-million-nft-takings-from-eth-to-usd

lmao beeple actually seems like a decent dude just happened to get associated with NFTs because people threw money at him

quote:

“Boom, 53 million dollars in my account. Like, what the gently caress,” Beeple recalled, recalling the day he received the money in Miami, where he flew on a booked private jet to celebrate. “I’m not remotely a crypto-purist. I was making digital art long before any of this poo poo, and if all this loving NFT stuff went away tomorrow I would still be making digital art,” he said.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?173251-Have-you-heard-of-this-new-currency-and-way-of-getting-paid-called-Bitcoins then there's this one where a totally real human fe-male comes into a stripper website and tries to sell them on bitcoins only to be rejected

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I shouldn't really be surprised that there's more than one of these, but it was the second one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i think there's actually a third one too...

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

i think there's actually a third one too...

wasn't it mister pooperscoop pretending to be his own assistant or something?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

https://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?173251-Have-you-heard-of-this-new-currency-and-way-of-getting-paid-called-Bitcoins then there's this one where a totally real human fe-male comes into a stripper website and tries to sell them on bitcoins only to be rejected

This is the one I think about and never questioned (but should have) if there were more like it. Of course there are; coiners are cultists, and their dedication to their religion actually bothers me as a Christian because many times in my life I have not been as evangelical as I see them act :angel:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

KnifeWrench posted:

yeah that was it. i was going to say that but i couldn't remember what his name was, the only thing i could think of was pooperscooper

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

yeah that was it. i was going to say that but i couldn't remember what his name was, the only thing i could think of was pooperscooper

mircea popescu if you wanted to expand your search

cuz I ain't doin it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PleaseBeGneiss/status/1400225816823300096

Eat your heart out, NFTs.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
his name is tuur demister or something like that

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

KnifeWrench posted:

was that the texan horse trader episode or am i confusing 2 different things

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Antlerhill posted:

was that the texan horse trader episode or am i confusing 2 different things

no that was atlas, he pretended to be an 80 year old jewish horse trader who's grandson had told him about tf2 hats and though that that but bitcoin would be a good idea

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/BinanceUS/status/1400508135060643840

just some routine unscheduled downtime as we frantically dig through the couch cushions for some more cash undergo system maintenance

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:pray:please pull a gox

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In the relateds:

https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1400059940547538946

what does this even mean

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/fantomqueenS/status/1400060167589355522

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin twitter is weird, you have some people also confused about what exactly that tweet means mixed in with a ton of price graphs, moon speak, and adverts for some other bitcoin

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think Bruce Lee actually said that about bitcoin.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Boxturret posted:

:pray:please pull a gox

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Where's the money Goxturret?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/BinanceUS/status/1400508135060643840

just some routine unscheduled downtime as we frantically dig through the couch cushions for some more cash undergo system maintenance
the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world

89.9999% counts as five nines uptime right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SubG posted:

the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world

89.9999% counts as five nines uptime right

five nines. 9.9999% uptime