Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Norton AV wasn't already considered malware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Norton (and basically all AVs) are basically the police, they monopolize resources with little justification providing dubious protection and being as bad or worse as the things they're trying to protect you from. They insist they're the good guys while actively doing horrific things by design, and they insist that the solution to all of their problems (that mostly they started) is to let them get bigger and have more backdoors/access/money. Then it turns out the most effective version of it is one that is incredibly lean; so much so that it almost seems to not exist.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

jokes posted:

Norton (and basically all AVs) are basically the police, they monopolize resources with little justification providing dubious protection and being as bad or worse as the things they're trying to protect you from. They insist they're the good guys while actively doing horrific things by design, and they insist that the solution to all of their problems (that mostly they started) is to let them get bigger and have more backdoors/access/money. Then it turns out the most effective version of it is one that is incredibly lean; so much so that it almost seems to not exist.

A twist on the old formula. The last remnents of humanity rally their remaining forces against the killer rogue AI which is revealed to be an antivirus that got too powerful.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm in on the ponzi scheme. See you all when my $50 turns into a down payment on a house and pays off all my grad school debt

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Prurient Squid posted:

A twist on the old formula. The last remnents of humanity rally their remaining forces against the killer rogue AI which is revealed to be an antivirus that got too powerful.

“No, Dr. Thomas, humanity is the Virus!”
Norton 13.0

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My goodness everything is just so stupid.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

To quote horse eBooks,

everything happens so much

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

poverty goat posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poverty goat posted:

Around 2006 I grew quite fond of Norton Internet Security. It kept the Internet secure by keeping its users off of it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, the original design was to invent money with no use case (dammit all I WANTED Dorian to be Satoshi so bad) so it’s pretty much done it’s job. I guess that is 1 use case though…🤬💩

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zil posted:

So at what point is it not considered just the same as the malware it is supposed to protect against?

Some time ago.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Who could have predicted this?
https://twitter.com/ThomasDavies33/status/1400394329412280323?s=20

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Binance laying the groundwork for their exit on the tether scheme before the NYAG calls them into court again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Liquid Communism posted:

Binance laying the groundwork for their exit on the tether scheme before the NYAG calls them into court again.

no, that's bitfinex

binance is the other major exchange with a history of bouncing between non-extraditing dirty-money-offshoring havens and getting hacked & robbed then telling customers "don't worry, we have assets to cover everything, everything's fine, you just can't withdraw your funds right now"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i just read about Binance's coin, the BNB

https://www.binance.com/en/bnb

this is so scammy lmao

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Yet another huge corporation has embraced cryptocurrency, and in turn, the future. One day you will all understand :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

Yet another huge corporation has embraced cryptocurrency, and in turn, the future. One day you will all understand :)

Your mom is a huge corporation.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

salt shakeup posted:

I like your gimmick

Quoting you for your visionary thought process

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1400661674504474626

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
salt shakeup is a better poster than xtal, change my mind :colbert:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I thought this was a Photoshop this poo poo really has jumped the shark

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Andy Dufresne posted:

salt shakeup is a better poster than xtal, change my mind :colbert:

Certainly braver

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

so this is people/bots buying stuff based on Elon tweets because they think there is another, larger group of people that will use Elon tweets as actual financial advice, but only the first group actually exists, right?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chadzok posted:

so this is people/bots buying stuff based on Elon tweets because they think there is another, larger group of people that will use Elon tweets as actual financial advice, but only the first group actually exists, right?

I hope so, because the second group makes me sad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only people stupid enough to invest based on Elon Musk tweets are stupid enough to think there are people who do, but don't read his tweets when they go up

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
but, cummer go up?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

When it comes to “absolute dumbest poo poo western capitalism has ever produced” Musk is now rapidly catching up to that guy who invented leaded Petrol and CFCs

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So has Russia issued letters of maque against western companies?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

When it comes to “absolute dumbest poo poo western capitalism has ever produced” Musk is now rapidly catching up to that guy who invented leaded Petrol and CFCs

but Musk hasnt actually invented or made anything?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is it even related to the coin or is he just making absolutely brainless zero-effort shitposts and his followers are nostradamusing meme bullshit from that? either way goddamn.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

but Musk hasnt actually invented or made anything?

True. But merely encouraging all this coinwank, and idiots to drive his stupid cars, with his shitposting is enough

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 4, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is it even related to the coin or is he just making absolutely brainless zero-effort shitposts and his followers are nostradamusing meme bullshit from that? either way goddamn.

yeah wtf

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Musk ripped off Al Gore, who invented both the environment and tubes (which the internet is made from).

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

Musk ripped off Al Gore, who invented both the environment and tubes (which the internet is made from).

It's so lovely that Al Gore invented the environment, we could've had infinite capital growth forever but noooooo he just had to ruin everything with this whole 'external costs' poo poo

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if i see a cyber truck im making GBS threads in it. im glad there are cameras to watch me because you know the cuck rear end owner will post the video to social media for comfort points from musk's weird nerds, meanwhile everyone else is laughing and applauding my excellent sphinctoral control

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
howard cosell voice: my god. look at that form, that technique. the control is impeccable, that poo poo is doing exactly what the rear end wants. i don't believe it, they could... go... all... the... way...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

"investors"

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
gently caress you'll haters

literally to the moon
we are literally going to the moon
you stupid, stupid loving haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I was Musk I'd take great pleasure in trolling coiners into lovely financial decisions.