Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello thanks to this OP I sat down and started watching SVU from the beginning and after over a year of being unable to binge shows I just watched all of season one in a week. Fascinating, awful stuff. I enjoy watching it while playing casual games like the Clutter series.

e: wait why is Ice-T in the title credits

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello thanks to this OP I sat down and started watching SVU from the beginning and after over a year of being unable to binge shows I just watched all of season one in a week. Fascinating, awful stuff. I enjoy watching it while playing casual games like the Clutter series.

e: wait why is Ice-T in the title credits

:allears:

Please keep live-blogging your blind, wild SVU ride.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rappaport posted:

So far I like the three main detectives and the chief. Olivia, Stabler, Munch and Bald Chief Dude Who I Like. Jury's out on Ice-T and whoever the new ADA is.

- The case with the piano teacher pedophile was amazingly hosed up, great horror.
- The finale of S1 with the literal torture and slavery that was based on a true story hosed me up a little bit because finding her in that box was just, that was too Criminal Minds for me. I'll handle it if the show keeps doing that, but I hope it takes a different route.
- Most of the cases so far are awful but in ways where they're good white noise? This sounds awful but hey-ho, I knew what I was getting into with SVU.
- I HATE that the therapist in the S1/S2 finale/opening told these cops about stuff told in privacy. Hate it. I can vaguely forgive her for telling them about Stabler wanting to be a violent psycho, but the lady detective who's leaving? Yeah. Yeah gently caress that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rappaport posted:

:emptyquote:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I love this. I’m going to go watch it from the beginning too I think, I started at Season 11ish.

Also the most recent SVU episode (spoilered more for subject matter I guess?) hit really close to home for me- my mom was like that to us too, minus the sexual abuse (as far as I know :negative:) i think they handled the subject well, especially the “why didn’t you just throw her off you and leave” question. Sometimes there are things other than (or in addition to) the threat of physical violence that can make someone hesitant or afraid to do anything. Being terrified about making the other person angrier to the point that they escalate is a huge part of that, especially if you already feel like you can’t leave.

tl;dr svu good, also oc good. I found the ending of oc to be especially satisfying

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wow, Baby Killer was a terrible episode. It had a POINT TO MAKE and it wanted to be sadistic about it. Eesh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm still trying to untangle Paranoia in my mind. Anyone in here seen it recently enough to recap it for me?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

So far I like the three main detectives and the chief. Olivia, Stabler, Munch and Bald Chief Dude Who I Like. Jury's out on Ice-T and whoever the new ADA is.

- The case with the piano teacher pedophile was amazingly hosed up, great horror.
- The finale of S1 with the literal torture and slavery that was based on a true story hosed me up a little bit because finding her in that box was just, that was too Criminal Minds for me. I'll handle it if the show keeps doing that, but I hope it takes a different route.
- Most of the cases so far are awful but in ways where they're good white noise? This sounds awful but hey-ho, I knew what I was getting into with SVU.
- I HATE that the therapist in the S1/S2 finale/opening told these cops about stuff told in privacy. Hate it. I can vaguely forgive her for telling them about Stabler wanting to be a violent psycho, but the lady detective who's leaving? Yeah. Yeah gently caress that.

I think the true story that box-under-the-bed episode is based on also involved police finding the captive hidden in a box under the bed, afraid of making any noise.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Overanalysis is basically my favorite thing in the world, so most of my posts in here are going to be long as hell.

Re: the most recent SVU episode...should I be spoiler-tagging episodes that are less than a week old? Anyway both of my issues with this episode center around the ending...

Issue #1: How the gently caress is a woman who has been terrorizing her family for years stupid enough to text her husband threatening messages DURING HER TRIAL? Did she WANT to get thrown in jail on the spot? It was all just way too convenient and odd, especially since she had apparently sent him a bunch of messages without anyone noticing and while glaring suspiciously at him.

Issue #2: Her sentence was lenient as gently caress, and I get that they were trying to demonstrate how female perpetrators of domestic violence aren't thought of as violent or scary as male ones, but the ending was still, like...not bittersweet enough. Everyone is just happy that she's being punished, which could have been good if it had been more cynical, but it wasn't. Plus, her poor husband is like "I won't keep you out of Matthew's life, but I will keep you out of mine." Like, okay, great -- so your son, who is terrified of your mean-spirited rage-filled rapist wife enough that the nanny is worried about him, will be forced to continue having visitations with her. Just great.

Also, whatever the hell the judge was on during the trial, I want some.

Re: the most recent OC episode, that scene where the woman stands up after giving Richard a blowjob and they immediately make out is one of the grossest things I've ever seen on network television, and I know there's a name for that particular act but I can't think of it and I'm not looking it up on UD at work.

My primary OC thoughts (again, I don't know if I should be spoiler-tagging these opinions but I'm erring on the side of yes):
- The only member of the squad with any personality whatsoever is Stabler. This makes the show very hard to get invested in.
- Holy poo poo, Gina really IS dead. :owned:
- I live in New York City -- how the flying gently caress was the Astor Place subway station empty in the middle of the god drat afternoon? :psyduck: Also, the complete emptiness of the subway station made literally everyone more suspicious. From the hacker girl LOUDLY handing her hot dog to "a homeless person" to a horde of extremely freshly well-dressed men convening on the platform, it's like everyone involved was actively trying to be as conspicuous as possible.
- There's a scene where a 6 train -- one of the older ones, with a white 6 in a green circle on the front -- pulls up, but when Stabler and Richard get on, the interior of the train is quite obviously one that a newer train would have.
- In the scene where Richard, Angela, and Stabler are talking about Stabler and Kathy not having true love or whatever, I thought/hoped Richard was going to say that Eli wasn't really Stabler's son. I'm really sick of the Benson/Stabler shipping nonsense.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I think we don’t have to spoiler tag once something has aired unless we’re posting about it in a general thread where people might not watch or be caught up to the most recent episodes. As far as I know, anyway, I know threads sometimes have their own rules. I mostly spoiler tagged my last post because I threw a bunch of personal poo poo in there and not spoiler tagging it felt wrong somehow.

I’m sick of the benson/stabler shipping stuff too honestly. I think they’d be awful together, it feels like there’s way too much poo poo between them to make anything work or even be remotely functional or healthy and it would be kind of boring to watch. Like it’s so obvious that it’s boring, if that makes any sense. I usually love excruciatingly drawn-out will they won’t they type of situations but ugh, not this one.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Boring, unpleasant, irritating, an idea best left in the past: the series ends with Stabler finally getting together with Benson.
Bold, exciting, daring, an idea making the series worthwhile: the series ends with Stabler getting together with Angela Wheatley.
Genius, Visionary, pushing boundaries and opening up new understandings: the series ends with Benson getting together with Angela Wheatley.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hand Knit posted:

Genius, Visionary, pushing boundaries and opening up new understandings: the series ends with Stabler getting together with Munch.

FTFY

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOLY gently caress posted:

I think we don’t have to spoiler tag once something has aired unless we’re posting about it in a general thread where people might not watch or be caught up to the most recent episodes. As far as I know, anyway, I know threads sometimes have their own rules. I mostly spoiler tagged my last post because I threw a bunch of personal poo poo in there and not spoiler tagging it felt wrong somehow.

I’m sick of the benson/stabler shipping stuff too honestly. I think they’d be awful together, it feels like there’s way too much poo poo between them to make anything work or even be remotely functional or healthy and it would be kind of boring to watch. Like it’s so obvious that it’s boring, if that makes any sense. I usually love excruciatingly drawn-out will they won’t they type of situations but ugh, not this one.

Right! I think I mentioned it in a previous post but Benson & Stabler seem like friends-only soulmates.

For what it's worth though, I hate will-they-won't-they poo poo. Just mash Rollins & Carisi together already, god drat.

Hand Knit posted:

Bold, exciting, daring, an idea making the series worthwhile: the series ends with Stabler getting together with Angela Richard Wheatley.

Fixed. :colbert:

edit: fixed again

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 2, 2021

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Oh poo poo, that just reminded me that they finally let Sgt Bell in OC kiss her wife!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Oh poo poo, that just reminded me that they finally let Sgt Bell in OC kiss her wife!

Yeah, it was really weird that they did it right after Richard's standing-around-in-the-middle-of-the-living-room blowjob though.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 2, 2021

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, it was really weird that they did it right after Richard's standing-around-in-the-middle-of-the-living -oom blowjob though.

I think my brain must be trying to protect me because I mercifully do not remember the living room blowjob at all. Thanks, brain problems! :buddy:

YeahTubaMike posted:

For what it's worth though, I hate will-they-won't-they poo poo. Just mash Rollins & Carisi together already, god drat.
Fixed. :colbert:

I think I'm starting to agree with this though, but only if Carisi grows back the mustache he had in the beginning that made him look like a used car salesman :haw:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, it was really weird that they did it right after Richard's standing-around-in-the-middle-of-the-living-room blowjob though.

The whole series has been about creating these contrasts, where Wheatley is kind of the bad equivalent (or potential bad future) of whatever the good guys are. I find it kind of charming.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I think my brain must be trying to protect me because I mercifully do not remember the living room blowjob at all. Thanks, brain problems! :buddy:

Your brain prevented you from remembering that and you're saying it has problems? Sounds like a good brain to me. :shrug:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The SVU episode Bang was on yesterday, and I'm still laughing at John Stamos getting stabbed in the dick and exploding. A very good lead in for tonight's finales.

e: Like, how long do you think a writer had been sitting on that? A 'wasp knife' is so specific, there's no way it was connected to the rest of the show's writing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fin is getting married? Since when was Fin even in a relationship?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Earlier this season, I think? I’m just hoping Phoebe doesn’t end up like Jennifer Esposito’s previous appearances on SVU and Vanilla.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Earlier this season, I think? I’m just hoping Phoebe doesn’t end up like Jennifer Esposito’s previous appearances on SVU and Vanilla.

I looked it up and I must've missed it. Only checked in with the OC episodes.

In other news, a PhD in social justice is absolutely in on it.

e: Oh, we have a very... interested-in-theory episode today

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 4, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hand Knit posted:

In other news, a PhD in social justice is absolutely in on it.

Yep.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

YeahTubaMike posted:

Welp, looks like that’s on for next season.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I found that scene a bit unpleasant

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Why didn’t they go back to their own SVU and just back out of the alley?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This Stabler speech is a hell of a contrast with how the SVU episode ended.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
So… other than the oblique mention of some stuff earlier in this episode, was there anything before indicating something was up with Morales?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

So… other than the oblique mention of some stuff earlier in this episode, was there anything before indicating something was up with Morales?

In E2 or E3 Stabler mentions that he's pretty sure they've got a rat.

Also, I guess they're gonna leave whether Angela Wheatley survives up to fan reaction.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Probably, or depending on if they got renewed for next season or not to give them some options. With 24(?) episodes to fill next season, I suspect some of those guys they showed at the FBI office will come into play.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Probably, or depending on if they got renewed for next season or not to give them some options. With 24(?) episodes to fill next season, I suspect some of those guys they showed at the FBI office will come into play.

I mean, they gave us both Richie falling in with a new crew and Richard teasing an even bigger boss.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fartknocker posted:

Probably, or depending on if they got renewed for next season or not to give them some options. With 24(?) episodes to fill next season

Yeah, it's a full 24-episode order as opposed to the eight-episode limited run they had this season (it was planned to be longer, but there was first a shakeup in showrunners--Matt Olmstead dropped out, presumably because he was stretched too thin as he's a major producer on all the #OneChicago shows--and then they had at least one positive COVID outbreak on set, which shut down production for a while).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's a full 24-episode order as opposed to the eight-episode limited run they had this season (it was planned to be longer, but there was first a shakeup in showrunners--Matt Olmstead dropped out, presumably because he was stretched too thin as he's a major producer on all the #OneChicago shows--and then they had at least one positive COVID outbreak on set, which shut down production for a while).

I can't imagine how Organized Crime could've run longer. It felt like they were struggling to fill time as is.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

For SVU: Yelled GOD JUST KISS ALREADY at the tv. That was a sweet moment, even without the mustache :argh:

I’m worried about Chief Garland, I thought he was going to straight up keel over in that one scene when he was talking to Benson and Carisi. Maybe he’s next, Carisi did make that ominous comment about seeing people with that same look on their face quickly retiring or dying :ohdear:

OC: Guess that’s why we hadn’t had much development with those two detectives :stonk: I didn’t expect it to be Morales, he was so boring I didn’t even consider it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
SVU thoughts:

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also, Carisi/Nicole is giving me a very uncomfortable Jim/Karen from The Office vibe. After pining after Rollins, he gets himself a nice beautiful girlfriend who he's compatible with and makes sense with, while Rollins remains single. Everyone around Rollins thinks that they're together because cHeMiStRy or whatever. I hope Carisi is moving on, rather than "settling". And yet, I could totally see him dropping Nicole like a sack of potatoes the second that Rollins gives him the time of day.

Seriously though, gently caress Carisi. They telegraphed that he & Nicole have been hitting a rough patch or whatever because of her feelings about marriage, and this is somehow both too early AND too late in their relationship for such a conversation to come up. I can't tell if they made Nicole unrealistically bitchy about it or if they purposely made Carisi sound dismissive & insensitive toward her feelings. Either way, it makes him look bad, especially since he makes out with another woman so soon after AND apparently without having broken up with Nicole first.

Aside from that and everyone being such overt busybodies about Finn's upcoming wedding (which felt very out of character for all of them), this episode was actually pretty good. I thought that homeless/disadvantaged women being trafficked in exchange for housing AND a Black police chief dealing with being thrown under the bus by his corrupt white colleagues were interesting concepts that were executed...imperfectly, but not unwatchably. 7 out of 10 stars.

OC thoughts:

OC: Guess that’s why we hadn’t had much development with those two detectives :stonk: I didn’t expect it to be Morales, he was so boring I didn’t even consider it.

And the complete lack of development of the two detectives only made Morales's death seem that much more shallow. :downs: We had no time to develop a connection, so we had no reason to care. They couldn't have had ONE SCENE in a previous episode where, like, Morales has to leave early and Bell's like "oh, is your sister okay?" or maybe Morales gets a phone call and his expression turns all somber and he says he has to go as he rushes out? I just don't understand. This would have taken like two minutes and it would have given us a shitload of context.

I'm going to give this show like five more episodes to either start making sense or get hate-watchably bad -- after that, I'm giving up. Life is short.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m surprised they even continued the Nicole relationship, it didn’t exactly start well. It just seems like they wanted to introduce a love interest who was unlikable, so that they could easily get rid of her.

As I remember the Casini/Rollins relationship, it was pretty much just him acting like a lovesick puppy, and her making it clear she just wanted to be friends. It’s weird to come back to this after several years.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

OC thoughts:
And the complete lack of development of the two detectives only made Morales's death seem that much more shallow. :downs: We had no time to develop a connection, so we had no reason to care. They couldn't have had ONE SCENE in a previous episode where, like, Morales has to leave early and Bell's like "oh, is your sister okay?" or maybe Morales gets a phone call and his expression turns all somber and he says he has to go as he rushes out? I just don't understand. This would have taken like two minutes and it would have given us a shitload of context.

It feels like they forgot about the mole and the other two detectives and then were like oh poo poo we’re at the finale already? better shoehorn this in real quick! And I think we only heard the other detective (Washburn?) referred to by name like, twice. Farewell detectives, we hardly knew ye :pwn:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Oasx posted:

I’m surprised they even continued the Nicole relationship, it didn’t exactly start well. It just seems like they wanted to introduce a love interest who was unlikable, so that they could easily get rid of her.

They didn't make Nicole NEARLY unlikable enough. Everyone got along with her when they met her, she never yelled at him or acted domineering -- we never had a reason to dislike her, and the fact that she felt that marriage was a patriarchal institution (which, mind you, is something that we didn't know until just now) absolutely does not count.

It feels like they forgot about the mole and the other two detectives and then were like oh poo poo we’re at the finale already? better shoehorn this in real quick! And I think we only heard the other detective (Washburn?) referred to by name like, twice. Farewell detectives, we hardly knew ye :pwn:

Wait a second, Washburn was in on it too? I thought it was all Morales's idea and that Washburn was just remarkably stupid.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wait a second, Washburn was in on it too? I thought it was all Morales's idea and that Washburn was just remarkably stupid.

I don’t think Washburn was in on it but I doubt he’s going to be around after loving up that hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I don’t think Washburn was in on it but I doubt he’s going to be around after loving up that hard

I think it's definitely written so that they can go either way with him if they want.

YeahTubaMike posted:

They didn't make Nicole NEARLY unlikable enough. Everyone got along with her when they met her, she never yelled at him or acted domineering -- we never had a reason to dislike her, and the fact that she felt that marriage was a patriarchal institution (which, mind you, is something that we didn't know until just now) absolutely does not count.

The episode definitely had some weird stuff going on with anti-intellectualism and culture war bugaboos. Machado has a PhD in social justice studies, Nikole thinks marriage is patriarchal, the chief gets mad over implicit bias training.