Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Does Peacock run on Amazon devices yet? I would honestly just settle for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Does Peacock run on Amazon devices yet? I would honestly just settle for that.

No. NBC is still standing by its original guidance of "just sideload it onto your device."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I went through the hassle of doing that a few weeks ago and thought "cool, maybe I'll watch some more Peacock and even subscribe" and then it stopped working a couple of weeks later and I have to update something or do it again or I don't know but I don't care because its just Peacock.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
mythic quest did this season’s flashback episode and gently caress it’s so good. season 2 has been such a step up man, and 1 was already great

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't hate Panic so far, but it's got maybe the worst 35y/o posing as a high school senior ever. I don't know how old the actor actually is but drat if he doesn't look at least that old to me.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Been wondering this for awhile- what are the most elaborate lengths shows have gone to to conceal casting info for upcoming special/surprise appearances, like when a character unexpectedly comes back from the dead or something? I’ve heard of hiding casting info by using fake names or whatever but there has to be weirder poo poo than that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HOLY gently caress posted:

Been wondering this for awhile- what are the most elaborate lengths shows have gone to to conceal casting info for upcoming special/surprise appearances, like when a character unexpectedly comes back from the dead or something? I’ve heard of hiding casting info by using fake names or whatever but there has to be weirder poo poo than that.

The one I remember the most is Starbuck on Battlestar but there is probably better examples.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't hate Panic so far, but it's got maybe the worst 35y/o posing as a high school senior ever. I don't know how old the actor actually is but drat if he doesn't look at least that old to me.

That Nicholson's son? I thought he was the best thing about the show, which might explain why they cast someone so obviously older.

I just couldn't get into the show tbh. I made it about two episodes and gave up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FX have announced that the Y: The Last Man show will (finally!!!!!) premiere on September 13th.

What We Do in the Shadows season 3 starts Sep 2nd.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Open Source Idiom posted:

That Nicholson's son? I thought he was the best thing about the show, which might explain why they cast someone so obviously older.

I just couldn't get into the show tbh. I made it about two episodes and gave up.

Oh dang it does kind of look like him, so maybe. I had no idea Nicholson had a son who was an actor. And yeah I'm not super invested in this but I have a hard time dropping shows unless something better comes along and nothing has in the last 4 or 5 hours, so here I am on episode 5. It's really not terrible though. It's not great by any means, but some of the performances are decent and the writing isn't completely awful.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Imagine throwing 200 million at any Mark Millar project
Oh for gently caress's sake

Didn't Netflix buy the rights to his whole catalogue? Of course they're gonna make his other things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not the rights, they bought Millarworld. It's theirs so eventually we'll see lovely adaptations of all this books.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do Netflix know what year it is?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Netflix probably just looked at how many copies he sold of his Millarworld titles, and didn’t consider that that was years ago and that his writing style hasn’t aged well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They wanted a super hero universe of their own but nobody told them that most of his books are self contained and don't crossover.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of wasteful I found out Amazon had a show last year that looks like some epic Michael Mann international drug cartel type deal and I swear there was no marketing budget for it at all. I never even heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HoRfUKcvdY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One of the best shows of the year. I posted about it in this here thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They probably didn’t promote it much because it’s an Italian import rather than an actual original. But then I barely saw any Underground Railroad promotion either so who the gently caress knows what they’re doing

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of wasteful I found out Amazon had a show last year that looks like some epic Michael Mann international drug cartel type deal and I swear there was no marketing budget for it at all. I never even heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HoRfUKcvdY

C'mon Mu, I thought better of you. It's been talked about a bit and has made several people's top 10 lists (mine included).

But yeah, it's written by the Gommorah guy and made by the same people. It's really good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I posted this in movies, but it's probably more suited here. Imagine how much more fun fight scenes in TV could be.

https://twitter.com/DkunDX/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We had a whole decade of Americans trying to do tokusatsu shows and it didn't work out

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They tried wrong

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Xena was pretty good. Spartacus too. They're straight up from that tradition, carried through New Zealand action series.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

We had a whole decade of Americans trying to do tokusatsu shows and it didn't work out

It just seems primed to take off here its a shame theres no equivalent to it or easy and legal way to watch it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Xena was pretty good. Spartacus too. They're straight up from that tradition, carried through New Zealand action series.

I'm a big fan of the Raimi-produced stuff and it very is in that vein (though parallel evolution rather than direct inspiration)—but all the direct 90s American tokusatsu riffs are "kids TV" rather than "all ages TV." Most of the Japanese tokusatsu stuff I've watched feels like it's just as easy for adults to enjoy it as kids, but going back and watching Big Bad Beetleborgs or whatever is just painful.

Though in all fairness, most of the Japanese stuff I've seen is from the 60s-80s so there could have been a similar tonal shift in Japan, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I'm a big fan of the Raimi-produced stuff and it very is in that vein (though parallel evolution rather than direct inspiration)—but all the direct 90s American tokusatsu riffs are "kids TV" rather than "all ages TV." Most of the Japanese tokusatsu stuff I've watched feels like it's just as easy for adults to enjoy it as kids, but going back and watching Big Bad Beetleborgs or whatever is just painful.

I was thinking of the way NZ has always supplied the daily life and American actor parts of Power Rangers. But I don't really know enough about all that tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/scottmendelson/status/1400549232105295873?s=21

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

mythic quest did this season’s flashback episode and gently caress it’s so good. season 2 has been such a step up man, and 1 was already great

I actually laughed out loud when I saw those editorial notes!
"That's a great story. Let me quickly rewrite the whole thing!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu0O-q7Kf2k

Huh?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Looks great lol

Actual lol in fact

Big Venture Bros energy

"WHAT THE gently caress IS A CAR???"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lord/Miller producing: cool
Director from many Adam Reed shows: cool
Screenwriter from the DOOM movie, The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984, and Mortal Kombat 2021: uhhhhh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HOLY gently caress posted:

George Clooney's cameo at the end of Season 6 of ER, Julianna Margulies' final episode, was under a strict veil of secrecy:

quote:

“We knew we wanted to get them together at the end, but we wanted it to be a complete surprise,” Wells tells EW. “So I convinced Warner Bros. to give us a private jet and talked to George, and we flew up to Seattle with a very small crew that all signed pledges that they wouldn’t tell anybody.”

Clooney remembers the trip vividly: “We shot the scene in the back of a house that no one lived in anymore and got back on the plane. The rest of the cast didn’t know. [Anthony] Edwards didn’t know. The only people who knew were Julianna, John Wells, our cinematographer, our sound guy, and one grip, I think.”

But that was only the beginning of the secret-keeping. When the plane landed back in Los Angeles, Wells took the film home with him. “I kept it in my refrigerator because I was worried about it going through the lab, where we couldn’t control it,” the showrunner says. “We didn’t tell NBC. It was never in any scripts. They knew nothing about it. Then I processed [the film] two or three days before it was on the air, and we cut [the scene] in very late at night when nobody was around.”

At that point, the scene, which featured Carol finding Doug out at his boat before the two reunite with a kiss, had been approved by NBC, but the network didn’t see the full cut of the episode until it aired on the East Coast on May 11, 2000. The cast had a similar experience. “I was in Italy and I started getting calls,” Clooney remembers. “People were going batsh— over the idea that we’d pulled it off. Then I started getting calls from Noah Wyle going, ‘Are you f—ing kidding me?’ Eriq La Salle was like, ‘You could’ve told me!’ It was very funny, but we kept the secret from everybody because there’s no other way to keep it. I don’t know how you do it now.”

Similarly, when Clooney and Margulies returned in the final season of ER, they were on a closed set with only a skeleton crew allowed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cringing at black people and an actual native american helping George Washington create a state so Americans can better oppress them both.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Timby posted:

insane ER stuff

:lol: that’s the stuff! Hiding the film in someone’s fridge is my favorite part

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Cringing at black people and an actual native american helping George Washington create a state so Americans can better oppress them both.

Yeah, seriously, what is this loving garbage?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, seriously, what is this loving garbage?

I think it's satire op

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Drake Bell, of Nickelodeon's 'Drake & Josh,' charged with crimes against a child

quote:

Jared Drake Bell is facing serious legal trouble in Ohio. The Drake & Josh star, who played Drake on the hit Nickelodeon show, has been charged with attempted endangering children and disseminating matter harmful to juveniles.  

[...]

According to Fox 8 News, Bell is accused of engaging in an inappropriate chat with the victim that was sexual in nature at times. Other details are unclear at this time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My gut reaction is that this gonna be bad. But it could just be the trailer doing it a disservice. The visuals look alright. Almost thought I was looking at Brock Samson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1400907978140684297
This was originally going to be a TV series on TNT but it looks like that option has expired. If the movies end up actually happening it will be kind of a big deal because this is a big sprawling fantasy epic where almost every character is a poc. There's like literally one white guy in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2