Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Lysidas posted:

neat, i have tried streaming most of the stuff i listed as working under proton, and not a single one has worked to stream to my laptop or apple tv, good to know it isnt a global issue

Sounds like it could be a GPU issue maybe? Which would be shocking, given the notoriously rock-solid status of GPU drivers on Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Or it could be a Wayland thing? Maybe streaming only works with x.org?
edit: nvm, seems to be working fine with AMD on Wayland

Bourricot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 30, 2021

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah might be a nvidia thing, havent tested stuff in a while after sort of giving up and expecting no proton game streaming to work :shrug:

anyway, updated to kubuntu 21.04 on my laptop directly from 20.04 my usual way (opening /etc/apt/sources.list and %s/focal/hirsute/g, then apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt autoremove) and everything is fine, only thing that doesnt work is scrolling mouse wheel to switch between virtual desktops, but my user profile is full of cruft upgraded in place from 18.04 -> 19.10 -> 20.04 -> 21.04 so im happy nothing else is acting weird

nice that plasma now has a night color control mode, already enabled it and its neat how the default is sunset -> sunrise in your current location

i have auto-login enabled in the login so i enter the full disk encryption passphrase and then go straight to desktop, logged out to test something and realized is should switch my desktop session to wayland, so far everything is perfectly fine, including streaming a steam game from my desktop :)

fake edit: apparently no ssh-agent automatically running for my whole user session, hmm

real edit: select -> middle click paste doesnt work from konsole to firefox, this is a dealbreaker

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 3, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's a Wayland thing, GNOME has an option to turn it back on in Tweaks, KDE might have something similar or you may have to use the GNOME Tweaks app for Firefox to see it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
huh, actually it does work in general, after i habitually tried again and then a few more times, not sure what was up that one time

additional edit: zoom screen sharing is not supported, and keepass autotype wasnt available/etc. -- so maybe 2022 will be the year of wayland on the plasma desktop

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 3, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

yeah keepassxc autotype is pretty much the only deal breaker keeping me from switching to wayland now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unrelated, but :):respek:Plasma

I genuinely, unironically enjoy that DE. It shuts up and keeps quiet and gets out of the way most of the time until I need one of its weirder features, then it reveals a Swiss army knife of helpful tools.

I recently-ish discovered that the clipboard manager can turn clipboard content into a qr code (and a few others as well of course), which is really useful with a phone that isn't connected via KDE Connect.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

a qr code... which is really useful

:magemage:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's how I got my phone connected to wifi (gently caress typing that password) so that Connect clipboard sharing would work.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I imagine it's also helpful for working with embedded things that use QR for testing and inventory tracking and the like

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Unrelated, but :):respek:Plasma

I genuinely, unironically enjoy that DE. It shuts up and keeps quiet and gets out of the way most of the time until I need one of its weirder features, then it reveals a Swiss army knife of helpful tools.

I recently-ish discovered that the clipboard manager can turn clipboard content into a qr code (and a few others as well of course), which is really useful with a phone that isn't connected via KDE Connect.

hmm, neat, i use the command-line 'qr' program provided by the python 'qrcode' package to generate stuff to scan on my phone to copy/paste passwords into various apps, and sometimes this is a pain when the password contains escape characters/quotes/etc

(ios clears the clipboard once the phone is locked afaik, so the risk of other programs reading it is pretty well mitigated, and its not like an app reading a random 32- or 64-character string can guess which other service that might be a password for)

i think i turned off the clipboard manager in addition to many other settings of not having my machine remember which files/programs/websites i have used/opened/visited, might be worth re-enabling it

i am angry that https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/issues/675 is closed as resolved/wontfix and that i cant comment on this "wtf are you thinking" given that someone actually had a working implementation of it

edit: wait, okay its actually open, i misread the issue history/comments, hopefuly itll be implemented sometime

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just switch to a self hosted bitwarden install keepass has way to many edge cases, especially if you try and share poo poo with family

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mr. Crow posted:

Just switch to a self hosted bitwarden install keepass has way to many edge cases, especially if you try and share poo poo with family

for those unaware, google "vaultwarden" - that's the SQLite-based implementation that's trivial to host and runs on a toaster (with all premium features enabled, too).

the official open source version is a large-scale setup running on MSSQL and using a ton of resources

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
why am i installing gentoo.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rooney McNibnug posted:

do drugs, OP, it's healthier

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rooney McNibnug posted:

self harm is verboten in yospos

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

for those unaware, google "vaultwarden" - that's the SQLite-based implementation that's trivial to host and runs on a toaster (with all premium features enabled, too).

the official open source version is a large-scale setup running on MSSQL and using a ton of resources

bitwarden-rs also just uses local storage, been using it for a few months and it's been uneventful

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Progressive JPEG posted:

bitwarden-rs also just uses local storage, been using it for a few months and it's been uneventful

vaultwarden is bitwarden-rs just renamed, right? I've been looking at doing this myself and could use advice on where self-hosting should happen. a cloud instance, οr just a local docker image?

mystes
May 31, 2006

SporkOfTruth posted:

vaultwarden is bitwarden-rs just renamed, right?
Yeah they were asked to change the name.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

use 1password imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

Yeah they were asked to change the name.

oh i didn't hear about the namechange lol, good to know

anyway it works fine

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Gentle Autist posted:

use 1password imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Paying for a password manager no thanks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

1password is very good and well worth the price.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
why shouldnt i just keep using keep rear end xc

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

anything connected to the internet and integrated into a browser requires constant maintenance, I’d rather not rely on unpaid volunteers, and if all gets hacked I have someone to sue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Perplx posted:

anything connected to the internet and integrated into a browser requires constant maintenance, I’d rather not rely on unpaid volunteers, and if all gets hacked I have someone to take to an arbitrator who will point out that I explicitly agreed not to hold them liable for anything

ftfy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chome manages my password. tks

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Perplx posted:

anything connected to the internet and integrated into a browser requires constant maintenance, I’d rather not rely on unpaid volunteers, and if all gets hacked I have someone to sue

lmao not gonna happen. half of lastpass's wiki page consists of security breaches and client vulnerabilities and they haven't paid a single penny in damages to anyone and they never will

but yeah, you can use / pay for hosted bitwarden if you like. it's still the best pwd manager out there either way

personally i wanted to self-host stuff for a while, and vaultwarden is a great choice to install once i'm already taking on the challenge of running a secure server exposed to the internet from my home connection (no vpn either)

as an aside: the oss vaultwarden only implements the backend, the client apps / browser extensions are all from the official bitwarden inc., and they never send unencrypted data to the backend. so basically the only attack vector for a vulnerable / compromised backend would be serving a malicious web UI that hijacks password input. you can sandbox even that (i have, just because), but being cautious with updating your vaultwarden is realistically the safest thing you can do.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i use microsoft authenticator for password management these days. at minimum i know a breach will cause a lot of bad pr, so they should be pretty motivated.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just use the same password for everything like a neurotypical

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I use the standard unix password manager. It's not integrated into anything, but is super simple. Not sure what makes it "standard".

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's a weird slogan since it makes it sound like everyone uses it by default which is obviously not the case but it's "standard" in that it just wraps standard tools like gpg and git I guess.

I use it as well although I keep thinking of switching to vaultwarden.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pass is really nice and simple to use but if you want it to work on a windows box it gets annoying quick because windows sucks so i moved to keep rear end when windows compat became a requirement

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I would not want to locally self-host a password manager since my house flooding or burning down would lose me access to everything, even if it was properly backed up off-site.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for bitwarden/vaultwarden at least, if the server is unreachable then any existing client sessions apparently still work for reading (but not editing)

i of course know this because im running it self hosted and the server's been down a few times over the months for a variety of reasons. but i hadn't really worried about it since i was still able to access my logins like usual

mystes
May 31, 2006

You probably shouldn't be reliant on a cloud password manager not losing your data either.

Although to be fair one of the reasons I have been using pass rather than something using a self-hosted server is because it doesn't really have this issue (it just uses git so it's really easy to sync/backup and each client has a copy of the repository with all the keys encrypted).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would not want to locally self-host a password manager since my house flooding or burning down would lose me access to everything, even if it was properly backed up off-site.

Progressive JPEG posted:

for bitwarden/vaultwarden at least, if the server is unreachable then any existing client sessions apparently still work for reading (but not editing)

i of course know this because im running it self hosted and the server's been down a few times over the months for a variety of reasons. but i hadn't really worried about it since i was still able to access my logins like usual

same, kind of. i've been renovating my house these past couple weeks and i didn't bother plugging in the wifi router + pi somewhere else, but both my extensions and phone apps are fine

it seems it shouldn't be that difficult to patch the client apps so they can encrypt your edits in an append-only local storage and then sync whenever able tho

(fake edit: according to the BW guys, it's on their roadmap)

if this were the programming thread, i'd suggest that it might be a fun side project for learning RUST® to fork vaultwarden so it can use rqlite as a storage backend and run in distributed / HA mode

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

Or... Keep your passwords yourself! Don't give them to big cloud hosts OR unpaid volunteers! If you need to pay someone else to manage your passwords, you are trusting them too much.

1password is called that because cloud password hosts are a single point of failure that will eventually lead to you being badly owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

xtal posted:

Or... Keep your passwords yourself! Don't give them to big cloud hosts OR unpaid volunteers! If you need to pay someone else to manage your passwords, you are trusting them too much.

1password is called that because cloud password hosts are a single point of failure that will eventually lead to you being badly owned

if my primary email account was ever compromised for any reason, it wouldnt matter what password manager i was using. everything else would fall like dominoes