Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in addition to that, filmmakers can still shift the mood a lot during editing even if principle photography is largely done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I explicitly place the blame of DnD adventures having tedious food and water tracking on the Mirkwood section of the Hobbit, but sweet god the Dwarves completely lack pattern recognition.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been "reading" Return of the King for months now. I read a few pages last night. The ending of the battle outside of Gondor where Theoden dies.

This is a good book.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My friend found a bunch of his old LotR action figures from Peter Jackson FotR and TTTT today and I forgot how cool they were.

Like Gimli comes with all his loving axes, a removeable helmet, and spots to stow all his axes on the figure so you won't lose the ones he isn't wielding. Visible slots so he looks like he's actually carrying them all. The characters with swords usually have actual functional scabbards. I'd forgotten how seared into my brain these were. It's probably these figures as the cause of why I will never ever forget the difference between Legolas' two bows or mix up Sam and Pippin's blades. Absolutely top-tier figures for a certain type of dweeb kid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The lord of the rings lacks enough people calling each other Attercop and Tomnoddy, the latter of which is an insult so reviled and well known spiders living in the woods know and hate it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Karl Urban gores an orc through the gut and chants "Attercop, Attercop, wonder when your heart will stop"

I'm available whoever owns the rights to LotR films now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Viggo Mortenson Not Invited Back to Cast Reunion after T-word Scandal

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where the hell were all the songs in the second two hobbit movies? You can find time to squeeze in a mongolian death worm, but you can't do the songs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're in the extended cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRZY80Jjqk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like the films make the Spiders of Mirkwood too large. They die to thrown rocks and a dagger kills them instantly when it hits their back segment and a weakened toe kick to the face still sends them reeling. They should be like, dog sized.

Im also not sure how the dwarves got captured since they were in the circle where the forest elves were eating and where the magic that repels the spiders was but look gently caress it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok the scale on this map is just messed up. If the long lake is a two day long row for trained boatmen the thing can't be less than 30 miles and more likely would be closer to about 120 miles in length. The hell is it so teeny tiny itsy bitsy on the goddamn map. It should be dwarfing (haha) the lonely mountain and if it were at scale Mirkwood is like a few thousand miles across

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do want to say I appreciate that the "master" of Lake Town comes across as loathing a good portion of his citizenry and was absolutely going to send the dwarves + bilbo back to be imprisoned by the elves until his fantasy fox news addlepated populace demanded the dwarves be let to go to the mountain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The hottest fire of smaug is the absolute roasting he gives the dwarven race

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
actually it's this https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Smaug

Smaug loves it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hi thread I just found you and wanted to share my tale of Hobbit woe.

I found a tiny used bookstore in old Town Stockholm 5 years ago. I found and passed on a copy of the Hobbit because it was really pricey (like 300 USD) for me at the time. Turns out, it was the first Swedish edition that had artwork from Tove Jansson (moomin) and was pretty valuable.

I think about it often and it keeps me up at night.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Early swedish editions had crazy good art too

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yes! And the cover was great too, God I hate myself for not getting it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what the gently caress scene is that

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

indigi posted:

what the gently caress scene is that

Don't you recognize Gollum when you see him?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why is Bilbo dressed like he just came from a production of The Night Before Christmas

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Because it rules OP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dunno why it drives me wild when illustrated versions go wild with their interpretation of what well described things in the book are but this in particular is sticking with me because the end of the gollum encounter requires gollum to be small enough for Bilbo to jump over him.

In other hobbit news I fuckin love Lord of Exposition Thorin dumping on you the entire backstory of Thrush birds so when that thing shows up later to bail out the humans of the lake* its not a complete deus ex machina

*Most inbred humans in middle earth 2 ages running

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

I dunno why it drives me wild when illustrated versions go wild with their interpretation of what well described things in the book are but this in particular is sticking with me because the end of the gollum encounter requires gollum to be small enough for Bilbo to jump over him.

There are two answers to this: the artistic and the pedantic.

The artistic answer is that the way Gollum and Bilbo are separated puts them in separate spaces from each other, rather than being straightforward illustration. This ambiguity lends itself to illustrating Gollum in an impressionistic way, the way Gollum feels to Bilbo (or to himself!) while illustrating Bilbo the way he feels to the two characters. The illustration captures their dynamic perfectly: Bilbo, tiny and wary and trapped and thoroughly out of his element but relying on craft, Gollum, terrifying and intimidating but sad and lost and longing, all piercing gaze and howling impotent demand.

The pedantic answer is that this is an illustration for the first edition of the Hobbit, where there's no reference to Gollum's size at all. You're talking about something added in the second edition's edits.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really love that Tolkien went so far as to add an in-universe explanation for why the Hobbit didn't quite match up with LotR's story and he had to do a second edition. And it fits. Bilbo would definitely lie about that poo poo.

e: like a year ago in the main book barn tolkien thread I posted this before, but the Hobbit is extremely good read aloud if you have kids or a nerd partner. I did it once to an ex an now I'm reading again to my current partner and it's so good and fun. The narration is delightful and all the main characters lend themselves to doing silly voices. Good morning!!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 4, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

The pedantic answer is that this is an illustration for the first edition of the Hobbit, where there's no reference to Gollum's size at all. You're talking about something added in the second edition's edits.

don’t they both fit into a small boat? plus Bilbo does hop over him. his size is pretty well implied if not explicitly defined

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

indigi posted:

don’t they both fit into a small boat? plus Bilbo does hop over him. his size is pretty well implied if not explicitly defined

I don't remember if the boat was part of the changes but Bilbo hopping over him is something added in the second edition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alright team, time to track down a first edition and achieve full pedantry.

The Hobbit is an excellent bedtime reading story as its a bunch of short adventures, goofy asides, and a bunch of weird anachronisms that you should just treat as translation errors/readability choices from the source material.

Reminder the hobbit film starts with talking all about the Arkenstone, a thing that only matters to Thorin and isn't introduced in the book until 3/4ths in and ultimately gets buried with him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
IIRC he gets in the boat only in the first edition.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can’t believe I somehow only read the first edition. I’ve read multiple copies and I remember Gollum paddling his boat around

E: oh you mean Bilbo. you might be right about that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Bilbo does not get in the boat in second edition, for sure.

The arkenstone feels like it would eventually become a Silmalril if Tolkein had time to do his planned third hobbit revision

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If only. Then we could have had Maedhros showing up at the Battle of the Five Armies looking like he took a lava bath and Maglor would still be out at the edge of the Sea sighing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, I know we've spent this whole book hyping up Smaug and having the Dwarves accomplish absolutely gently caress all, but what if some rando who goes unnamed for the first several paragraphs he speaks in beats Smaug in a single shot over the course of about a page?

Reminder Dwarves are trash and Aule did a bad job.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

quote:

Dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money. Some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don’t expect too much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
S tier Valar:

Yavanna
Tulkas
Lórien
Ulmo
Aulë :argh:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the only S tier Valar are Yavanna and Nienna everyone else is corny for the most part. also what were they doing for all those millennia before the Elves awoke that they had absolutely zero plan of action. c’mon dumbasses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Barudak posted:

Look, I know we've spent this whole book hyping up Smaug and having the Dwarves accomplish absolutely gently caress all, but what if some rando who goes unnamed for the first several paragraphs he speaks in beats Smaug in a single shot over the course of about a page?

Reminder Dwarves are trash and Aule did a bad job.

to be fair this particular catastrophe was Gandalf’s fault

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

indigi posted:

the only S tier Valar are Yavanna and Nienna everyone else is corny for the most part. also what were they doing for all those millennia before the Elves awoke that they had absolutely zero plan of action. c’mon dumbasses

Um, Varda made all the stars. Do you know how long that must have taken?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You see if we grade all dwarves on a curve of "ok if you expect absolutely nothing from them" then you'll see most dwarves can sometimes jump over this low bar.

Thorin's first act after finding out Smaug is dead is to lock the doors of the Lonely Mountain and tell the humans outside who gave him food and shelter in his time of need to get hosed.

indigi posted:

to be fair this particular catastrophe was Gandalf’s fault

Gandalf is only at fault in so far as he expected the dwarves to be capable of basic things like pattern recognition and "thinking for two goddamn minutes about how to kill smaug and telling their point man anything about them"

Edit: Gimli, son of Gloin (useless), son of Groin and Bard, father of Bain, father of Brand, father of Bard 2 (non cannonical) leads me to believe some familiesg got discounts on initial letters

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 9, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Barudak posted:

Edit: Gimli, son of Gloin (useless), son of Groin and Bard, father of Bain, father of Brand, father of Bard 2 (non cannonical) leads me to believe some familiesg got discounts on initial letters

That's consonance! No respect for classic poetic considerations I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wait till you see Aragorn’s family tree