Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hell Yeah posted:

i store apples in the fridge because i like to eat them cold. it's fine, it's not like tomatoes or bananas where putting it in the fridge ruins it.

This/plus they keep longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hell Yeah posted:

i store apples in the fridge because i like to eat them cold. it's fine, it's not like tomatoes or bananas where putting it in the fridge ruins it.

Triggered! The “no bananas in the fridge” thing is nonsense from like 1960s Chiquita commercials. I have stored bananas in the fridge for years. The peel darkens a lot faster than normal, but it dramatically slows the ripening of the fruit itself. You can really freak people out with these nearly black bananas where the inside is perfectly fine.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

priznat posted:

Hell yeah costco croissant & lox smoked salmon & philly cream cheese is the bomb sandwich. Needs something with a crunch but they don’t have capers there (which I don’t like anyway). Perhaps some kind of pickle slices.. hm more research required.

Pickled red onions, my friend.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

RocketLunatic posted:

Yeah, I don’t know why people use Costco Tires. Always so expensive even for a get the 4th tire free deal (which is just routine sort of deal). Maybe the quality is better? They just seem to be name brand tires that you can get anywhere.

I tend to go to neighborhood shops run by Korean families and they give me a great deal. And the tires are fine.

Their warranty sold me, and also I know like 70% of places are gonna have a Costco nearby whereas if I go somewhere else there's no guarantee that they're gonna have a place to use the warranty for me

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

The Kirkland Citra IPA is god awful, like I'm probably going to throw the rest of it away awful.

Solvency posted:

Really? This is the green can, Citra Session IPA, buy my family have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a great drinking on the patio during the spring sorta drink, and we've already gone through two cases of it, and I'm going back soon for another. It won't blow your socks off or anything, but for a beer that's as tasty as it is for $20 for a 24 pack, you'd be hard pressed to find better (and if you know of something better for the same price, do let me know).

I think the problem here is expectations. That beer simply isn’t a Citra Session IPA. If they called it something else it would be better. But it’s not what it says it is.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

david_a posted:

Triggered! The “no bananas in the fridge” thing is nonsense from like 1960s Chiquita commercials. I have stored bananas in the fridge for years. The peel darkens a lot faster than normal, but it dramatically slows the ripening of the fruit itself. You can really freak people out with these nearly black bananas where the inside is perfectly fine.

And I swear they are more delicious

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had an old roommate that would buy those packs of croissants and use them as her work lunch sandwich bread. Cold cuts, cheddar, arugula, some olive oil and balsamic. Really good.

They were the old large round ones. I don't think they carry em anymore.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hutla posted:

:hmmyes:
:yum:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

oh so you're saying putting bananas in the fridge makes them brown and ugly? wow i guess you really showed me. you're the fruitmaster, i guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hutla posted:

Hmm! I do not have those, do they come as rings in a jar or something?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Grapes are a wonder fruit. Raisins are great; room temperature grapes right off the vine are great; cold grapes are great; frozen grapes are… great.

When we were in Germany we stayed in this little town that was the eiswein (ice wine) capital or some such. Basically, they make wine from grapes that freeze on the vine. It’s super tricky, because the grapes can spoil if they don’t freeze soon enough, or they can get eaten by bears or something. The town had a wine festival and it was wall to wall people daytime wine drunk on this ice cold, crazy high sugar dessert wine. Highly recommend seeking out some.

Edit: I bring some sugar and white vinegar to a boil, then add thinly sliced red onions, jalapeños and some whole peppercorns to the vinegar. Toss, then let sit uncovered for like 20 minutes. Never have leftovers, but if you do, they’ll keep in the fridge for a bit.

fischtick fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 4, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

fischtick posted:

Grapes are a wonder fruit. Raisins are great; room temperature grapes right off the vine are great; cold grapes are great; frozen grapes are… great.

When we were in Germany we stayed in this little town that was the eiswein (ice wine) capital or some such. Basically, they make wine from grapes that freeze on the vine. It’s super tricky, because the grapes can spoil if they don’t freeze soon enough, or they can get eaten by bears or something. The town had a wine festival and it was wall to wall people daytime wine drunk on this ice cold, crazy high sugar dessert wine. Highly recommend seeking out some.

Cotton candy grapes are some kind of crazy magic too because that poo poo tastes exactly like cotton candy!!! It’s wild.

Ice wine is like for vinters who have already prestiged 5 times over with the regular stuff and want a crazy challenge!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I put everything in the fridge; food, drinks, leftovers, bananas, apples, beer, stuff, hotdogs, tomatos, eggs, bitchin sauce and milk

Everything gotta be cold yo!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do you go by the pallet of apples with basically a weed name and not buy some?

They're fine, I guess. Not worth the premium price I've seen them sold for. It's yet-another fruit bred for long shelf life and firmness so it doesn't dent easily, with flavor as a tertiary concern.

Gaius Marius posted:

Apples are disgusting once you put them in the fridge, just keep them on the counter

They're often stored in a fridge before you buy them. Those Cosmic Crisps above last are based on breeds that last 6 months at 33-34f.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

fischtick posted:

Edit: I bring some sugar and white vinegar to a boil, then add thinly sliced red onions, jalapeños and some whole peppercorns to the vinegar. Toss, then let sit uncovered for like 20 minutes. Never have leftovers, but if you do, they’ll keep in the fridge for a bit.

I like a bit of salt in there too. Maybe some garlic. It's not a fussy recipe. Keeps for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

no, my friend, you slice up the onions, heat up the vinegar and pour it into the jar for yourself

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hell Yeah posted:

oh so you're saying putting bananas in the fridge makes them brown and ugly? wow i guess you really showed me. you're the fruitmaster, i guess.

Sorry, didn’t realize you ate the peel

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw a video once of some vegan lady. Her daily meal was ten heads of romaine and 20 bananas peel on

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MisterOblivious posted:

I like a bit of salt in there too. Maybe some garlic. It's not a fussy recipe. Keeps for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.

Yeah. Salt and some sort of sweetener is almost always added as well (sugar usually but could be honey etc) to round out the profile.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

priznat posted:

I've been using this recipe and its great: https://www.rachelcooks.com/how-to-pickle-red-onions-in-five-minutes/
I personally sub apple cider vinegar for white vinegar and use a little less sugar, as well as get the salt/vinegar/sugar/water mix to a simmer before pouring over the onions.

quote:

INGREDIENTS
1 red onion, thinly sliced (use a mandoline if you have one)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot or warm water
INSTRUCTIONS
Slice the red onions as thin as you can. I use a mandoline.
Stuff all the red onions in the jar of your choice. A bowl will work too.
In a measuring cup, combine apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, and warm water. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour this pickling mixture over your sliced onions, making sure they are immersed in the liquid, and let them set for an hour. After an hour, cover and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

priznat posted:

Hell yeah costco croissant & lox smoked salmon & philly cream cheese is the bomb sandwich. Needs something with a crunch but they don’t have capers there (which I don’t like anyway). Perhaps some kind of pickle slices.. hm more research required.

I saw these at Coscto yesterday. I almost bought a bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Gourmet-Dillies-Flavored-Cucumbers/dp/B07VDMBH1L

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That looks good but I would have to sample before committing to costco size bag!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I bought some similar fried jalapeños and they were good until they weren’t. I think I threw away the last 1/4 of the bag.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Oh word? When I bought a car battery and a deep cycle marine battery I checked Costco vs online options and the Interstate batteries from Costco were better by far. I installed them myself so I don't know if that factors into things.

Interstate brand batteries are top of the line and higher quality than autozone or walmart batteries or probably pep-boys batteries. To those of us who live where it gets well below freezing in the winter this is a thing that matters.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I literally came here to post this because I bought a bag this morning.

If you’ve ever had fried pickles, they taste exactly like those except with chip texture. Little bit of tooth as you chew from the tiny bit of cucumber in the center.

They’re not “chips” however. They’re really broken down with only a few full sized “chips.” The bag indicates that they expect the end user to use them as a topping for Mac and cheese, salads, etc. with a serving size of 1 tablespoon.

Hah. Hah hah hah hah!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Where do you people store all of this food!?

I have a deep freezer, but trying to buy the apples or those huge clamshells of grapes would take up half of my fridge. Might as well buy the 12 pack of noosa and the grapefruit cups and completely slam it full.

I hate my fridge to be honest. Freezer on the bottom and a French door setup on top. There’s a huge meat/deli drawer on the bottom that takes way too much space and then two tiny drawers for fruit/produce. It’s a rental though so I’m stuck with it.

I have 2 freezers, 1 standing and 1 open top, and 5 fridges at home with top freezers. I'm looking to replace one with the latest fridge from LG or GE Cafe.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I didn't think I bought that much at Costco today but I had 3 separate employees make a comment of some kind and I was a little insecure

"Hey can I come to the party?"

I'm just buying in bulk...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I didn't think I bought that much at Costco today but I had 3 separate employees make a comment of some kind and I was a little insecure

Maybe they were swingers

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Get a load of this charismatic shopper over here, luring all the Costco employees

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I generally love Costco samples in the before times but the absolute worst one I've ever had was microwaved breaded calamari

I was like 12 or some poo poo and had never had any sort of calamari before and let me tell you I learned that day that calamari should never be microwaved. It was like chewing on a tire but somehow less tasty

Pretty sure that didn't last long at Costco

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

FCKGW posted:

Maybe they were swingers

I think the real answer is my alcoholism.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

low key sex master posted:

I generally love Costco samples in the before times but the absolute worst one I've ever had was microwaved breaded calamari

I was like 12 or some poo poo and had never had any sort of calamari before and let me tell you I learned that day that calamari should never be microwaved. It was like chewing on a tire but somehow less tasty

Pretty sure that didn't last long at Costco

I’ve bought it within the last few years. It’s OK if you bake it (why would anyone try to microwave a breaded product), but one of those things you shouldn’t eat too much at once because you’ll get REAL sick of it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Gatts posted:

I have 2 freezers, 1 standing and 1 open top, and 5 fridges at home with top freezers. I'm looking to replace one with the latest fridge from LG or GE Cafe.

You have 5 fridges and 7 freezers in your home? wtf do you run an orphanage or something

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

low key sex master posted:

I It was like chewing on a tire but somehow less tasty

Yeah I don't think the auto department was supposed to be serving samples

Lot of Costco tire hate in here makes sense now

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I got my tires at Costco, great experience and great price for 45,000 mile that cost like $380? Love it. They also check my tire pressure and stuff for free when I roll in.

Tomorrow's plan: A couple of slices of cheese pizza from the food court after a long week of clean eating and getting swole, renewing my membership and picking up some stuff for my friend. PBUC. All paid for on my Citi Costco card earning me big $$$$ back hell yeah

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WescottF1 posted:

I live not far from the Minhas brewery and have toured it once. All of their beers have a weird sourness to them which could be due to Monroe, WI's water. Kinda like how the Rocky Mountain water Coors uses must have a lot of iron or something in it, because to me Coors has a really metallic aftertaste to it.

i thought i recognized the name of this brewery and it's because i once bought a giant can of this dreck for $2 just to see how bad it was. it was awful:

http://minhasbrewery.com/our-brews/malt-liqours/axehead

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I;m thinkin about thos dogs

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

I get these in hatch chile when they come around. I put them on salads instead of croutons, sandwiches for extra crunch, burgers, and I topped green bean casserole with them for holiday meals. They're good but the bottom of the bag is mostly crumbs so good for things you want them crumbled in.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Enos Cabell posted:

The Kirkland Citra IPA is god awful, like I'm probably going to throw the rest of it away awful.

Go get some of these, and boil them in your bad beer. No reason to waste any of the holy blood church.
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/kirkland-signature-original-bratwurst%2C-14-ct%2C-3.5-lbs.product.100311918.html

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Toupee Groupie posted:

Go get some of these, and boil them in your bad beer. No reason to waste any of the holy blood church.
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/kirkland-signature-original-bratwurst%2C-14-ct%2C-3.5-lbs.product.100311918.html

Counterpoint, don't boil brats in IPA, it makes them taste like poo poo. Use a pilsner or lager. I say this as a person who likes IPAs and had boiled brats in them before.