Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hakkesshu posted:

Ethan having absolutely terrible one liners is the best thing about him.

Yeah, I get that it's intentional and I do like that about Ethan but there's a little something he's missing in his performance to match up against the Lords. The closest he got was taunting Moreau about stealing the jar from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thundercracker posted:

I'm replaying Revelations 2 and it's way harder than Village. I'm dying a lot and barely died in Village. The combat is a lot more satisfying though. You really have to juggle between characters to take advantage of combos and expose weaknesses.

I just put Rev2 on my list of games I finally have to get around to playing lol, totally missed the whole Revelations arc.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here is a drive folder of mine some of you may be interested in:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t-dbM4jmvyDO6WAmriwl4Kg36EOVO2A5?usp=sharing

I've been tracking down/cleaning up some archives of PS1 era horror games, mostly RE with DC2 and PE2 thrown in. There are mediafire links out on the web with associated headaches, but this is my local backup I'll share here. These are the ripped backgrounds from those games, and in some cases like REmake I used other ID data to name the room files to make browsing easier.

I was curious to compare some of them:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1400629216325029894

...and also to try and make comprehensive maps that incorporate the actual images (posted an alt version before) but didn't like how it was turning out:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1373296120533823488

...anyway, download and peruse if that's your thing. Don't have upscaled REmake BGs, not all of RE0 is in there, and I've yet to come across RE1.5 rips although the game is out there.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s too bad that RE4 on Switch omitted adding gyroscopic controls (even though it was added to 5 and 6??) My girlfriend has difficulty using dual analogue controls, but after playing Breath of the Wild she’s pretty comfortable with gyro aiming.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hakkesshu posted:

Ethan having absolutely terrible one liners is the best thing about him.

I genuinely enjoy "that's not groovy!" from RE7, because it sounds exactly like what a terrified person would say in that situation and circles back round to being funny. Like, people in real life say some dumb poo poo during fights and emergencies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Electromax posted:

Here is a drive folder of mine some of you may be interested in:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t-dbM4jmvyDO6WAmriwl4Kg36EOVO2A5?usp=sharing

I've been tracking down/cleaning up some archives of PS1 era horror games, mostly RE with DC2 and PE2 thrown in. There are mediafire links out on the web with associated headaches, but this is my local backup I'll share here. These are the ripped backgrounds from those games, and in some cases like REmake I used other ID data to name the room files to make browsing easier.

I was curious to compare some of them:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1400629216325029894

...and also to try and make comprehensive maps that incorporate the actual images (posted an alt version before) but didn't like how it was turning out:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1373296120533823488

...anyway, download and peruse if that's your thing. Don't have upscaled REmake BGs, not all of RE0 is in there, and I've yet to come across RE1.5 rips although the game is out there.

You should check out the re seamless hd project discord, they've been doing work on re1 lately and might have some stuff you're interested in

As for one liners i thought "I'll take my chances" hit pretty well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I was complaining about how the gameplay felt in RE8 in here and went back for my almost-yearly replay of RE4

shooting the Ganados in the foot to make them pratfall when they're running and be stuck on the ground for a few seconds or sweeping like 3 of them away with one kick feels almost unfair compared to the hyper-aggressive lycans bobbing and weaving their way right into your drat face while randomly also deciding to shrug off headshots

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love Ethan being your average Joey Bagofdonuts. If he hammed it up like the other characters it would have felt TOO close to RE4, I feel. It's pretty refreshing to just play as a normal dude for once, and his terrible one liners are SO bad I'm 100% convinced it was intentional.

"You're the one who's cursed! :colbert: "

"Eat poo poo! :argh: "

"Caught myself a big one! :haw: "

Just absolute dipshit energy and it's great. I'm sure we're going back to your regular schedule RE larger than life protagonist programming with the next games.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Leon survived Raccoon loving City while hungover, he earned his one liners.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Ethan's lame trash-talk is great, although I was hoping he'd bust out an "Oh yeah? Takes one to know one!" at some point.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ethan's mini-breakdown after the Elena section was pretty great. So was his stammering about not being able to do anything before Heisenberg. He was better at emoting Dude Losing His Mind than trying to be clever

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love Ethan being your average Joey Bagofdonuts. If he hammed it up like the other characters it would have felt TOO close to RE4, I feel. It's pretty refreshing to just play as a normal dude for once, and his terrible one liners are SO bad I'm 100% convinced it was intentional.
His best lines in RE7 are when he says, well, what I'd probably say in that situation. Not trying to be cool or funny, just exasperated. "Who builds this poo poo?"

[Marguerite turns into a bug monster]

"Well, that's special."

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
His "Eat poo poo" after the Hammer Lycan is special to me, because he said it about a half second after I did. I've never felt more in-tune with a video game protagonist than I do with Ethan Winters.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Halloween Jack posted:

[Marguerite turns into a bug monster]

"Well, that's special."

Hard to say for me if that one or "That is NOT groovy" is my favorite Ethan line.

But really though, in an industry full of Dadtagonists like Kratos and Joel, Ethan is a breath of fresh air to me. If I gotta play as a dude like this in a game can he just be a well meaning Wife Guy instead some emotionally constipated psychopath?

Every time Kratos opens his mouth and every cutscene with Joel and Ellie I'm just like uuuuuuuuuuuugh PLEASEE can the creative director of this poo poo go to therapy.

Meanwhile with RE8 I'm just like ETHAN LOVES HIS DAUGHTER SO MUCH :cry: :cry:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DanielCross posted:

His "Eat poo poo" after the Hammer Lycan is special to me, because he said it about a half second after I did. I've never felt more in-tune with a video game protagonist than I do with Ethan Winters.
If I was wounded, covered in filth, and had just barely survived fending off a crazed killer, "Eat poo poo" is exactly what I'd say.

Although after my first fight with Jack Baker, I'd chop everything I killed into pieces and burn them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hard to say for me if that one or "That is NOT groovy" is my favorite Ethan line.

But really though, in an industry full of Dadtagonists like Kratos and Joel, Ethan is a breath of fresh air to me. If I gotta play as a dude like this in a game can he just be a well meaning Wife Guy instead some emotionally constipated psychopath?

Every time Kratos opens his mouth and every cutscene with Joel and Ellie I'm just like uuuuuuuuuuuugh PLEASEE can the creative director of this poo poo go to therapy.

Yeah, it does a lot for Ethan that he's just this fundamentally decent dude. If he's going to an average dude, at least he's not an rear end in a top hat.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the weirdly mean spirited/aggressive "In death as he was in life: DISGUSTING!" made me laugh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Monkey Fracas posted:

the weirdly mean spirited/aggressive "In death as he was in life: DISGUSTING!" made me laugh

Yeah that one made me laugh the hardest. Probably the closest he got to a an official Leon ComebackTM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is the one I remembered most. Like after bumping off 50% of the henches he had been practicing and then this came out and he thinks about how its kind of good no one else was around to hear it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I always loved the "Do you want to be a hero?!" line in RE7 and the bonkers notion that a cop would just give you a knife.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm replaying Dead Rising 2 and I can feel this post in my bones. God Bless level-headed Dadtagonists.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I got that vibe too, but honestly after all the fishshifter's gross bullshit it felt pretty earned.

Just totally disgusting from start to finish in a way that even doll lady didn't reach.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

I always loved the "Do you want to be a hero?!" line in RE7 and the bonkers notion that a cop would just give you a knife.
I mean, the cop is incredibly stupid and mean-spirited, just like a real cop. He's investigating a string of disappearances, and when he finds a wounded out-of-towner begging to be rescued from a remote boarded-up house, his first instinct is to interrogate him on the spot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It really was kind of amazing after going through werewolves, animated threshers and vampires, Ethan gets to that seaweed clogged switch and is like "Dude this stinks"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd balk at wormy sea things too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It really was kind of amazing after going through werewolves, animated threshers and vampires, Ethan gets to that seaweed clogged switch and is like "Dude this stinks"

Well I mean yeah, that poo poo's gross, I'd rather face a whole pack of potato people than stick my hand in creepy crawly goop

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, Ethan's hands have been through a lot! Who knows how many awful fish diseases he'd get touching that goop with his mauled hands.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of my favorite newer RE quips has to be Leon in RE2make just completely exasperated in the final chase scene, as he encounters Mr. X YET AGAIN as the lab is exploding, and utters "is this a loving JOKE?"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DLC Inc posted:

one of my favorite newer RE quips has to be Leon in RE2make just completely exasperated in the final chase scene, as he encounters Mr. X YET AGAIN as the lab is exploding, and utters "is this a loving JOKE?"

His "You BASTARD" to a zombie still standing after a headshot with the same intonation as if somebody cropdusted the cereal aisle he was standing in. :laffo:

The worst bit of hand trauma in RE8 is mere minutes after getting his ring finger, pinky, and a chunk of his palm bitten off, Ethan slams said fist into the wall after escaping Luiza's house. Doesn't even flinch. Bro be careful.....

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

His "You BASTARD" to a zombie still standing after a headshot with the same intonation as if somebody cropdusted the cereal aisle he was standing in. :laffo:

The worst bit of hand trauma in RE8 is mere minutes after getting his ring finger, pinky, and a chunk of his palm bitten off, Ethan slams said fist into the wall after escaping Luiza's house. Doesn't even flinch. Bro be careful.....

Yes! On my first play through, my partner and I were both wincing in sympathy at the bitten fingers, but that elicited an "argh! Ethan, you loving idiot!"

DeathChicken posted:

Ethan's mini-breakdown after the Elena section was pretty great. So was his stammering about not being able to do anything before Heisenberg. He was better at emoting Dude Losing His Mind than trying to be clever

Ethan's "Wu-aahh!" when the baby appears in the kitchen might be some or the most naturalistic voice acting I've ever heard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ethan has to stick his maimed hands in a filthy toilet in RE7, too. Real James Sunderland energy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have found my people. Ethan is one of my favorite video game protagonists in years and it's partially because of how well he's integrated into the world. Every single character is in some way related to Ethan and his struggles, the whole game has this loving wild symbiotic relationship with him, Mia, and Rose. Nearly every single character is a father who's lost his daughter, a daughter trying to save her father, a wife who lost her husband, a mother whose child is her puppet. Even the concept art reflects this with things like Heisenberg's big stupid engine block guy who lost both of his hands in the propeller blades originally designed to be his biological father. I love how even the visual identities of the other characters reflect Ethan's family, stuff like Miranda's halo having golden roses and the transformed Miranda's shaded face and halo having golden feathers around the shoulders a la his coat. Clearly Capcom appreciate the dude and want you to appreciate him too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A RE4 remake should include an Assignment: Merchant mode that is the Merchant needing to stay one step ahead of Leon and solving puzzles that would have normally unlocked weapons in old games himself so he can sell them. Include setting up the targets for the Punisher and some kind of joke about the Magnum that Leon can get himself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shiroc posted:

A RE4 remake should include an Assignment: Merchant mode that is the Merchant needing to stay one step ahead of Leon and solving puzzles that would have normally unlocked weapons in old games himself so he can sell them. Include setting up the targets for the Punisher and some kind of joke about the Magnum that Leon can get himself.

Hell yeah, Capcom I know you're reading this so please pay attention and give the fans what they need

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If we're talking mundane one-liners, I loved Claire's constant "What the hell"s and "What is with you"s in RE2make. It's a shame she never got to team up with Ethan so they can just drop F bombs and exasperatedly yell at everything constantly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shiroc posted:

That gag ending from the MGS3 theater where Snake causes all kinds of time paradoxes, but in the RE-verse. How does the merchant get around? Meta-humor, that's how. The Duke is (possibly) a trickster god, he can attest.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

If we're talking mundane one-liners, I loved Claire's constant "What the hell"s and "What is with you"s in RE2make. It's a shame she never got to team up with Ethan so they can just drop F bombs and exasperatedly yell at everything constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVHfyMQJc8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The topic of RE1make in first person came up and while I'm sure it's been posted before I don't recall ever seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GNt0LHLf8

It's about 20 minutes or so of a fan made first person Spencer Mansion and I really wish Capcom would do a whole game. You'd have to jank the AI a little so that zombies don't just stand there and react to body shots like RE2make but I think it looks cool.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Andrigaar posted:

I held down M1 a lot. I wish there was more to it, but the game offered little to no feedback if I was damaging him or hitting a bulletproof section because it looked like the same particle effect to me, and causing the glowing parts to explode seemed to mainly be about interrupting his charges.

The particle effect you're looking for is like a stream of sparks. When your shots are ineffective, they just cause random sparks. When you're landing hits on the weakpoints, the sparks come out like a steady stream. It looks sort of like a concentrated fountain of sparks shooting off in one direction. Like what you see when you watch someone welding something.

clockworx posted:

I'm stuck on Heisenberg VoS as well. I watched some YouTubes of people beating him and feel like I'm literally playing a different game. I'll hit him with a rocket once, then he'll immediately get two consecutive hits on me in a row before the rocket reloads, so I'm pretty hosed right out of the gate. I can't seem to keep distance at all the way the people are in Youtube videos.

Use the rocket as he approaches very close. It pushes him all the way back to wall behind him. Use this to reset the distance instead of damage.

Besides that, you just need to land your hits on his weakpoints. The more weakpoints you can destroy, the more he'll flinch, and the more time it buys your cannon to reload. That's really it unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
An interesting piece of news, especially for such a classic game:

https://www.polygon.com/22519568/resident-evil-4-copyright-infringement-lawsuit-capcom

My initial thought was some crank who claims someone stole their story, but no, this is a professional photographer and designer and some overworked Capcom employees/managers did a naughty and didn't license her work properly. And what she's asking for isn't that high.

This will probably be quietly settled.