Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would not want to locally self-host a password manager since my house flooding or burning down would lose me access to everything, even if it was properly backed up off-site.

If your house burning or flooding is even on your radar then ugh you should probably move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: unusually dumb post

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would not want to locally self-host a password manager since my house flooding or burning down would lose me access to everything, even if it was properly backed up off-site.

just because corporations are too cheap for off-site backups doesn't mean you have to be as well

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycophobia posted:

why shouldnt i just keep using keep rear end xc

just keep using keepassxc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use keep rear end xc in conjunction with syncthing

it keep my rear end

syncthing is also extremely good

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my keepassxc database lives in a git repo that i sync to multiple places and periodically reset the history of, in case history would make it easier to crack, one of those places is a flash drive on my keychain which i would hopefully grab in addition to phone and wallet to run outside if my home was burning down

no geographically separate backups at the moment, but if allegheny county is taken out by a meteor i doubt ill be alive to care about all copies of my password database being obliterated

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

if my primary email account was ever compromised for any reason, it wouldnt matter what password manager i was using. everything else would fall like dominoes
If your actual email account is actively being hijacked by someone who is trying to steal your accounts, yes, they can probably take over most or all of your accounts. However there is a huge difference in that with a cloud password manager, if an attacker just gets a dump of the database, you are hosed (unless you go and change 100% of your passwords) even if they aren't necessarily targeting you individually, whereas just getting a static copy of your emails is going to be almost completely useless for directly stealing your accounts (although it is bad in other ways and may theoretically create opportunities for spear phishing, etc.).

Lysidas posted:

my keepassxc database lives in a git repo that i sync to multiple places and periodically reset the history of, in case history would make it easier to crack, one of those places is a flash drive on my keychain which i would hopefully grab in addition to phone and wallet to run outside if my home was burning down

no geographically separate backups at the moment, but if allegheny county is taken out by a meteor i doubt ill be alive to care about all copies of my password database being obliterated
If you're already using git maybe just use pass?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ever heard of encryption precious

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

What are you responding to?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

So who uses BSD and what is it good for compared to Linux?

sb hermit posted:

Despite this being the Linux Desktop thread, I have some funny Illumos news.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/10/illumos_deprecates_sparc_support/

Illumos, the open source fork of Solaris, is dropping SPARC support because OG hardware is too expensive to source.

Speaking of which, what was Solaris used for outside of corporate stuff, and why would anyone use Illumos or any other post-Solaris projects today?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BSD is good for annoying Linux fanatics

more realistically FreeBSD is a solid system that makes a good base for something more specialized (see its usage as the underlying OS for JunOS, pfSense, the PS3 and PS4 OSes), NetBSD is for getting a unix running on just about literally anything (it has eight tier 1 platform ports and 49 tier 2 platform ports), and OpenBSD is for having a unix that's simple and functionally secure as long as you're okay with using a desktop or a thinkpad

I have an OpenBSD firewall but pf has traditionally been kinda poo poo at multicore forwarding because of a bunch of giant ugly kernel locks so if you want to push 10GbE+ then ymmv.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like freebsd as a desktop. it's good if you're into more unix-y things. also super stable and most anything runs on it. fairly easy to make a server or nice desktop with. lots of companies use bsd for the network stack, like netflix uses a bunch of bsd, and sony as well

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BSD is for mourning what could have been were it not for problematic software licensing.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Maximo Roboto posted:

Speaking of which, what was Solaris used for outside of corporate stuff, and why would anyone use Illumos or any other post-Solaris projects today?

It's good for publically hosted services although inevitably you can shoot yourself in the foot just as easily as anything else if you don't know what you're doing.

I think a properly built podman container with selinux running (especially rootless) is just as secure as anything on bsd but I'm not that familiar with BSD still learning :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my experience with securing things on linux vs securing things on BSD is that securing things on linux requires throwing in all sorts of bizarre additional control mechanisms each with their own unusual configuration and management interfaces all of which have been written or funded by :nsa:, whereas the BSDs tend to be somewhere between "reasonably secure" and "unpleasantly secure" out of the box and all the loopholes show up as footguns, often due to the difference in syntax between variants of pf

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Gentle Autist posted:

mystes posted:

Nasty hobbittses?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HonestSmartBuffalo-mobile.mp4

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Isn't GhostBSD the Mint Linux usability-driven distro?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dragonflybsd i think

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

most other BSDs are just FreeBSD forks, ghost is FreeBSD + MATE and dragonfly is some ancient freebsd fork because the dragonfly dev lead was angry about how phk wanted to do SMP support like 20 years ago

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mystes posted:

if a cloud provider gets owned and a database gets dumped, if I hold the encryption keys and they are sufficiently complex, then the attacker has nothing. that’s how 1password works, for example. they provide the software and syncing services, but I hold a key and password that encrypts the vault, so it’s impractical/impossible for anyone to brute force my passes

i get the instinctual reluctance to entrust all your passwords to someone else, but with any system other than your own brain you have some reliance on external parties

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
nah they'll just get owned in the supply chain and inject something into the product's browser extension that transmits all your secrets to North Korea once you've opened your vault.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

open sores it is then

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use safari keychain op and keep rear end do on cloud provider

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Maximo Roboto posted:

The difference is basically irrelevant if you're not a programmer touching system APIs.

Biggest difference the avg. power user will notice is that they don't use GNU utilities.

quote:

Literally nothing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

10+ years ago freebsd's network stack was far and beyond better than linux, which is why companies like netflix built their infrastructure around it. i don't think that's the case anymore, although i haven't seen any benchmarks in a long time

now freebsd mainly exists as free labor for companies like sony and for weirdbeards who like janitoring init scripts

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

Solaris was heavily used as the unix equivalent for the machines at my university when I was a student many decades ago. Mainly used by graduate students, who were never sitting at the drat things that were taking up precious lab space. I guess in hindsight they were using them remotely.

I think sparcs were powerful but dang expensive for the time. And solaris was the only OS that they deigned worthy of running on these boxen.

Of course, beowulf clusters were starting to prove their worth so the writing on the wall was just getting started.

I don't see Illumos being useful today except for organizations that still need to run proprietary software and don't trust Oracle to act rationally when renewing maintenance contracts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pre-oracle sun was was one of those companies you'd pay to provide everything under the banner of "computer" and solaris was just what they'd give you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wasn't solaris actually like, really good

I have this book by brendan gregg and he talks at length about all the monitoring tools and poo poo on it

also lol

brendan gregg posted:

The second edition adds content on BPF, BCC, bpftrace, perf, and Ftrace, mostly removes Solaris

:shepface:

git apologist fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Solaris was actually really good, yes. If you wanted the best storage on the market, you went with Sun. We had a bunch of Sun storage boxen at our university. Dtrace and ZFS combine into something really powerful.

Nowadays if you want the best storage you go proprietary or FreeBSD or OpenZFS on Linux. We went with the latter.

It's insane how much better ZFS is than any available file system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i can't believe you say that in this thread where people regularly extol the virtues of btrfs

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My first job out of college in defense contracting required Solaris builds for SPARC because they were used really heavily for processing remote sensor data. Probably not the case anymore but it was top of the line for that work at the time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Can you change anything about a ZFS pool without creating another and copying everything between them yet?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i can't believe you say that in this thread where people regularly extol the virtues of btrfs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

xtal posted:

Can you change anything about a ZFS pool without creating another and copying everything between them yet?

Nothing substantial (you can always add new raid/mirror groups, you can never remove any, except single devices you accidentally added, you can split or expand mirrors).

What you can do is create an encrypted file system many tens of TB huge and replicate it to your backup host without them ever seeing any clear text data beyond the name of the fs. You can then send differential backups, again without ever decrypting. ZFS will instantly know what to send even if only a few kb in a tree of many millions of files and hundreds of thousands of directories has changed. It will max out the pipe even if some researcher decided to create another 200 000 directories each containing one 4kb and one 512b file.

It's deep loving magic is what it is.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs can do the same, use that instead

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh right, and ZFS can do raid without losing data and stays operative while redundancy is degraded, unlike btrfs.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gentle Autist posted:

wasn't solaris actually like, really good

eventually

it was initially awful in comparison to SunOS 4.1.3, huge performance/memory hit prior to about Solaris 2.5, initially its main attractions were multiprocessor support (SunOS 4 only had what Solbourne developed for SMP) and the promise of System V Release 4 standardization/compatibility

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Oh right, and ZFS can do raid without losing data and stays operative while redundancy is degraded, unlike btrfs.

btrfs can do that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

ZFS vs BTRFS is clearly such an important issue that I think it should be given its own dedicated thread.