Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
With the arrival of the 'yoffs, comes the departure of the teams that couldn't cut it. RIP to some real ones. To our tankers too poo poo to qualify. To our Play-In playoff-posers who left us too soon. And to the ones who sabotaged their chances of getting a lottery pick in order to lose in the first round.

This is a refuge for our gentleposters of teams bereft of playoff games. This is your safe space. Revel in a thread where you don't have to post in the looming shadow of LeBron or where you will be constantly reminded that your GM decided to NOT draft Luka Doncic.

What's your team gotta do to not suck so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the spurs need to tear down and actually rebuild. no more demar derozan, no more rudy gay, sell off poeltl for whatever you can get for him, bottom out and start fresh. it was a really, really good run, and now it's done. popovich should start thinking about his retirement, not because he's lost a step, but because he's 72 years old and he buried his wife recently.

it's also time to figure out who's worth keeping and building around and who should get shipped off for assets. i love lonnie walker, but it's time to see if he can handle an nba scoring load. dejounte murray: is he a future star? why else would someone vandalize his wikipedia page? same with keldon johnson, and also getting more minutes for devin vassell.

priorities are grabbing an actual center and figuring out if the team wants to run 4-out lineups for the rest of eternity or if they want more size to compete with the mavericks and the lakers.

it sucks though, the spurs are a boring team to watch and i dunno if a casual fan could name 3 non-derozan players on the roster

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls are locked into zach and vooch and while that's cool almost all of the other players on the team either suck or are two young to be any good before vooch gets old, and they no longer have any draft picks or cap space to improve the team, so if you were to ask me that is probably not great.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 30, 2021

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The thunder will get either the first or second pick and I'm excited about it

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:The Boston Celtics have entered the chatroom:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Cinny Buns and Jayson Tatums are welcome

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Guess I'll start parallel posting in here. Hi friends :unsmith:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Attempt to put Celtics chat here:

I think you count/hope on Kemba getting a bit better (he was still pretty decent, just not the star-level), find a better solution at the 5, and get a couple more guys to round out your bench. I wouldn't trade Jalen for anything other than a superstar and I don't think you get much for smart anyway.

Trying to blow it up or spending assets to get rid of Kemba just so you can still not have any cap room doesn't make a ton of sense.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah this year is tough to use as a baseline due to injuries and what was now clearly lasting Covid effects on Tatum.

I actually look to this year's Knicks as a good example of finding useful FAs to round out a roster. If the Celtics has Bullock and Burks instead of Ojeleye and Grand Williams it would have made a huge difference.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Decent chance that some of it is fool's gold but feels like the Hornets really changed their trajectory this year. Basically all their young guys look like keepers, they should have enough cap space to fix their glaring hole at center this summer, and another lotto pick can't hurt.

I'm nervous about what Melo will look like if his three-point shot doesn't improve/stay steady, but even if this is his baseline he should be a fun and useful guy to have around. Basically their biggest landmine this summer is picking between Malik Monk and Devonte' Graham. I wish keeping Monk was more of a no-brainer, but either would be fine

Jumping into the top four again would be extremely cool, especially if it could get them Mobley, but either way it still feels like they'll have a good shot at the playoffs next year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
To bring this over from the playoffs thread:

Lockback posted:

Yeah they should. They made the conference finals 3x in the last 5 years including last year with basically this same team (Plus Hayward who was hurt most of the time). You give them an actual offseason and fill out the bench + figure out the center situation (Maybe get Horford for a song?) and this team is right back to solid. Blowing it up is a bad move here.

The way forward for them is to get to a 45-50 win team and then try to jump on a star-player trade, even if its a short-term thing.

I'm kind of wondering if the Celtics-Raptors series should've been seen as kind of a red flag for them. The Celtics were supposed to have every advantage in that series — better players including a true star, a tremendous matchup advantage, a coach who was theoretically quite good — and they were one Pascal Siakam dribbling off his foot turnover from being eliminated. We all joke Stevens being overrated, but there's no way that Nurse was so much better than him so as to cover the advantage that Tatum and matchups supposedly offered.

So, like, the fact that the series was so close maybe could've suggested that the Celtics were further away than they appeared to be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you don't need to break up the Celtics discussion that is already happening and going fine to put it somewhere people are less likely to look just because they've been out of the playoffs for like five seconds imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

To bring this over from the playoffs thread:
I'm kind of wondering if the Celtics-Raptors series should've been seen as kind of a red flag for them. The Celtics were supposed to have every advantage in that series — better players including a true star, a tremendous matchup advantage, a coach who was theoretically quite good — and they were one Pascal Siakam dribbling off his foot turnover from being eliminated. We all joke Stevens being overrated, but there's no way that Nurse was so much better than him so as to cover the advantage that Tatum and matchups supposedly offered.

So, like, the fact that the series was so close maybe could've suggested that the Celtics were further away than they appeared to be.

Maybe, but a lot of the Bubble was kinda weird and the Raptors were still a decent team. They swept Embiid and still took 2 off the Heat (who, while not a traditionally good team were ridiculously well prepared for the bubble playoffs). Celtics were pretty comfortably the 2nd best East team considering the Bucks looked like garbage after the layoff.

They under performed this year but I think they have good pieces. Like, yeah, without some luck the ceiling is probably 50-odd wins and the tier below contender but unless you have Lebron your best bet is to stick around as that kinda team and see if you can make something lucky happen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
May Lonzo and Bledsoe bring present and future blessings to the Pels with their highly anticipated departures this offseason.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the knicks do not deserve thibs

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Wizards poster(s). At least you didn't get swept and, in so doing, you made the Philly faithful have another existential crisis in the first round.

Also, welcome to my Knicks posting pals. At least you won a playoff game at the Garden during a season when everyone thought you'd be battling for 9th place. Let's gracefully glide into off season together.

https://youtu.be/kvGE2jXLBAo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The Magic are in a weird spot where they tore it down this year but also just signed the guys from their last tear down to new contracts. I honestly am not sure how I feel about them atm

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Grizz posters. As the octogenarian play-by-play commentators loved to repeat every 15mins, you have the 2nd youngest team in the NBA and you gave the best team in the league a real run for their money. No matter what, always remember:

https://twitter.com/CJMcCollum/status/1397774649665093634?s=20

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Knicks gunna knick out and swing for the fences again, I guess. I hope Rose signs for a short but decent contract with the Knicks, just don't be heartless and split him up from Thibs anymore. They sorta need each other.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm home.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome Lakers and Blazers posting pals.

Blazers went up against an MVP after another bumpy season littered with injuries. It might be time for change but there's no shame losing to Nikola Jokic when he puts up those kinda stat lines.

Oof. Lakers fans. It's tough to not mention the short break and injuries and everything else that built up to this. Take solace in the fact that next season will be better because LeBron's not gonna let this happen again. Schroeder's insta is proof of that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So how much money did Schoder cost himself by not signing that $84 million deal?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I remembering being the one person who hated the Schroeder trade and it took most of the year but ultimately I was right, great job by me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's the draftclass look like? Raps have 3 picks, but I'm not opposed to making a trade or 4

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's the draftclass look like? Raps have 3 picks, but I'm not opposed to making a trade or 4

Good, v. good at the top. I don't think anyone is moving from the middle to the top 3/4 but there's a bunch of good guys on the Lottery.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

Good, v. good at the top. I don't think anyone is moving from the middle to the top 3/4 but there's a bunch of good guys on the Lottery.

I believe Toronto owns #7, so could be good, I certainly trust Ujiri's judgment

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think it's quite as star heavy as it was initially sold but it's a good draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
As long as there’s a center Charlotte can reach on at 11 I’m happy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I keep seeing two guys linked to Toronto: Davion Mitchell and Keon Johnson. What's the story with these guys?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Lakers and Blazers posting pals.

Blazers went up against an MVP after another bumpy season littered with injuries. It might be time for change but there's no shame losing to Nikola Jokic when he puts up those kinda stat lines.

Oof. Lakers fans. It's tough to not mention the short break and injuries and everything else that built up to this. Take solace in the fact that next season will be better because LeBron's not gonna let this happen again. Schroeder's insta is proof of that.

I mean. I dunno how much longer our king can continue to do stuff at this level.

I'm finally ready to talk about last night, because I was screaming at the TV through the entire first quarter for somebody to maul Booker. Am I wrong, or do you have to disrupt that kind of thing, you can't let him just loving kill you from everywhere on the court?

I'd have put LeBron on him, and also doubled him hard after crossing halfcourt. You cannot loving allow that to happen.

Edit: just tell Drummond to tackle him, or something. He's not doing anything else, Jesus Christ.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Drummond ended up being pretty ok in that series, honestly. On their list of problems there were way worse players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I keep seeing two guys linked to Toronto: Davion Mitchell and Keon Johnson. What's the story with these guys?

there is a draft thread I answered this there

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I remembering being the one person who hated the Schroeder trade and it took most of the year but ultimately I was right, great job by me.

I liked it but always with the caveat that I thought the Lakers would really miss Danny Green's defense. Which ended up being true in the sense that since Schroder barely scored in the playoffs they might as well have had a good defender in Danny out there instead, even ignoring that odd year Danny Green makes shots.

mdemone posted:

I mean. I dunno how much longer our king can continue to do stuff at this level.

I'm finally ready to talk about last night, because I was screaming at the TV through the entire first quarter for somebody to maul Booker. Am I wrong, or do you have to disrupt that kind of thing, you can't let him just loving kill you from everywhere on the court?

I'd have put LeBron on him, and also doubled him hard after crossing halfcourt. You cannot loving allow that to happen.

Edit: just tell Drummond to tackle him, or something. He's not doing anything else, Jesus Christ.

Lakers had a pretty good plan for Booker, the problem was that it relied on AD, and, well . . . .

A lot of the Lakers success over the past two years is that Anthony Davis can trap all star caliber players at the perimeter and force them to pass off. Leads to quite a few dunks but you aren't going to beat the Lakers very easily if Ayton is getting 20 in the paint instead of Booker getting 35+ from all over the floor.

The Lakers did make some pretty good adjustments in the second half on Booker but too little too late.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lakers have 7 players under contract going into next season and are already around ~171 http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=165295851760ba6b9cc8416149390112.

The big questions for the team are:
1. Can they make a deal with Schroder that both sides are happy with. Do they even want to do this?
2. Will Harrell opt out?
3. Can they afford to re-sign Caruso?

Assumptions: THT is probably going to be back since he's gonna be cheap to re-sign.

Let's talk about 2. Everyone the whole season has operated under the assumption that Montrez is one and done. This is still likely the case. The arguments against him opting out are that his counting stats took a hit last season, and that there isn't much money out there, and he's very likely to get from somewhere else what he gets from LA, and also the market for primarily offensive bigs who don't shoot is not great. But, if he could find another team where his role was more guaranteed, he could put up big numbers and set himself up for an even bigger contract the next season when the money is better.

Obviously 3 is a fairly easy yes if they led Schroder go, even if Windhorst is right and teams are going to offer Alex the full MLE, Lakers can re-sign him with bird rights and there isn't much worry of them approaching the tax. Even if Montrez opts in, they aren't a tax team and could offer the full MLE themselves (albeit with a pretty realistic risk of hardcapping themselves)

Things change a bit though if they re-sign Schroder. Let's say that Dennis decides to pick up that $84 million and it's still on the table, because even as badly as Schroder played in the playoffs, it's an important salary number to have slotted for trade purposes. But, this makes the Lakers situation immediately dire if Montrez decides to opt in as it puts the Lakers $7 million over the apron with about half a roster to fill; I don't necessarily think they are worried about money but it does limit their options quite a bit, and for a player who isn't in Frank's rotation they probably try to move him. Harrell opting in makes Caruso much less of a no-brainer if teams really do offer him the MLE like Windhorst thinks, because it means they aren't getting under the tax next year either, and makes them potentially face some tough decisions then, too. Obviously these things look better if they can talk Schroder down. It kind of depends on what his market is going to be. Teams with the potential to pay him more than the full MLE are the Rockets, Magic, Raptors, Spurs, Hornets, Thunder, Knicks and Grizzlies. I don't think he'd be any of those teams first targets, but with as weak as the free agent market might be this summer, he might be some of those teams second.

So I guess if you predict them to do things "the Lakers way" I'd probably predict they first look for sign and trade opportunities, barring that, I think they offer him something pretty close to what they did before and try and play the trade game down the line. That's probably the right way to do it, given what the free agent market is this year. I'd be lying if I didn't think the team might be better with Harrell, Caruso and another MLE player than Schroder, but it's a big risk to go that route.

I think the team is going to try and bring McLemore back if they can afford him, and maybe Wes too, but, beyond that, I think most everyone else who isn't signed and hasn't been mentioned is probably gone next year. I think they will make a pitch to DeRozan and Lowry about ring chasing but I don't expect that to be effective, especially since the Nets are gonna have open spots this offseason.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Lakers have 7 players under contract going into next season and are already around ~171 http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=165295851760ba6b9cc8416149390112.

That's 171 with holds, which will not be what people re-sign as. That said, they are at 121 with Harrell taking his option and they are almost certainly going to be a tax team so it doesn't matter too much. They don't have a lot of cap to work with.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In a world where even here people have trouble with the cap I figure the hold number at least stops people from having crazy ideas like signing Bradley Beal.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Rick posted:

In a world where even here people have trouble with the cap I figure the hold number at least stops people from having crazy ideas like signing Bradley Beal.

I think you mean signing Kwahi after the Clippers get bounced.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

really doesn't seem like there's a way for the bulls to acquire a competent point guard via trade or free agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1401005133023043587?s=19
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1401005469976629252?s=19