Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Arglebargle III posted:

This seems reasonable. However in Desolation Island he's taking 18000 drops a day - 900 mL - which is nearly a liter of laudanum or 9 grams of opium.

Isn’t there a scene where someone - I think Martin - learns his typical dose and is so shocked that he almost comments on it? Heroic doses daily may have been what O’Brian intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

With that sort of habit storage space starts to become an issue, though I suppose the Leopard was roomy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Arglebargle III posted:

With that sort of habit storage space starts to become an issue, though I suppose the Leopard was roomy.

A gallon of laudanum every 4 days? 252 gallons in a tun. Just bring a cask of laudanum onboard, problem solved.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
New problem: preventing your sailors from draining the cask dry behind your back.

New new problem: treating the sailors who overdosed by assuming the stuff was basically just fancy booze.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Notahippie posted:

Isn’t there a scene where someone - I think Martin - learns his typical dose and is so shocked that he almost comments on it? Heroic doses daily may have been what O’Brian intended.

Yep, but of course he wouldn't make any comment because that sort of thing just isn't done between gentlemen, much less between an assistant to his surgeon. I remember on my first read through the series, I had been just sorta taking Stephen's word for it until then -- he was a doctor and he was dosing himself and it might look like addiction to an onlooker but it was actually carefully controlled and hah, they sound like such obvious excuses now, don't they, especially once you learn how massive his doses are compared to what they use for the sailors.

I also liked the scene in The Letter of Marque when he tumbles down the stairs and injures himself, and the doctor who treats him, again, can't quite come out and say directly "you're an opium junkie", but takes no poo poo and strongly implies that he knows exactly what Stephen has been up to with his bottle.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 23, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lemony posted:

New problem: preventing your sailors from draining the cask dry behind your back.

New new problem: treating the sailors who overdosed by assuming the stuff was basically just fancy booze.

This happened with padeen right? Laudanum addict with super strength who just lifted the top of the presumably super heavy locked chest off the hinges.

Phenotype posted:

Yep, but of course he wouldn't make any comment because that sort of thing just isn't done between gentlemen, much less between an assistant to his surgeon. I remember on my first read through the series, I had been just sorta taking Stephen's word for it until then -- he was a doctor and he was dosing himself and it might look like addiction to an onlooker but it was actually carefully controlled and hah, they sound like such obvious excuses now, don't they, especially once you learn how massive his doses are compared to what they use for the sailors.

I also liked the scene in The Letter of Marque when he tumbles down the stairs and injures himself, and the doctor who treats him, again, can't quite come out and say directly "you're an opium junkie", but takes no poo poo and strongly implies that he knows exactly what Stephen has been up to with his bottle.

Yes but the sailors are given to addiction. Stephen takes it for his health. Huge difference, obviously.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Phenotype posted:

The scene where it actually happens (the fall itself, I mean) is the one that stands out most clearly in that book for me, it's just perfectly written. I'm not sure whether it's Stephen himself finally running face first into reality, or whether it was just the moment where I personally realised just how thoroughly he'd been bullshitting both himself and the reader. There's always so much going on in O'Brian's prose that a paragraph where Stephen mentions how much he's taking, or downplays how much that is, can easily be missed; but you can't really argue with something so vertiginous. It's like when you spill your beer at a pub and realise how drunk you are (but much worse).

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
People giving Valerie Insinna joy of her M&C discovery in her tweet thread
https://twitter.com/ValerieInsinna/status/1396969933288923139

also :

https://twitter.com/SteilacoomDrew/status/1397063798050070535

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how responsible is Jack for Clonfert's death? Things might have gone quite differently if he hadn't left Lady Clonfert on the beach.

Then again it could have gone worse.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

So how responsible is Jack for Clonfert's death? Things might have gone quite differently if he hadn't left Lady Clonfert on the beach.

Then again it could have gone worse.

It's been a while since I read the book, and it'd depend a lot on their relationship, but I think having Lady Clonfert along would have helped him. Clonfert's dysfunction was basically the gap between the person he wanted others to see him as and the person he actually was, but that only seems to come into play when he's trying to impress his peers and underlings (as a group). When Stephen falls ill and Clonfert spends a lot of time looking after him, without trying to impress, he comes off as a much nicer, less insecure person (even if his real virtues aren't the ones he wants to have). Having somebody along who he could only deal with as an individual, and who he wouldn't need to impress in the same way, would probably have been a great help.

Of course, the real killer was whatsisface, the stupid captain with the newfangled water butts who screwed up the whole attack with his stubborn refusal to do anything but try to pull his ship off the rocks.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 31, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sailing question: where is the half-deck exactly?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is cur-tailed.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

Sailing question: where is the half-deck exactly?

before the quarterdeck or after the forecastle

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When O'Brian has medical men say, "he has a vicious habit of body"... what the gently caress are they talking about?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Arglebargle III posted:

When O'Brian has medical men say, "he has a vicious habit of body"... what the gently caress are they talking about?

http://wiki.hmssurprise.org/phase3/index.php/Lexicon:Vicious_habit_of_body

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Physical addiction to some substance, I'm pretty sure. Maybe just addiction in general.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

quote:

New ‘Master And Commander’ Movie In Works At 20th Century With Patrick Ness Penning Script
https://deadline.com/2021/06/20th-century-master-and-commander-patrick-ness-1234769535/

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Well, didn’t see this coming.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which I came here to post that this very minute!

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I hope it's good, but I gotta say I've been hoping we would get a big budget HBO-type series instead, the books are so rich I feel like they need some room to breathe.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

:siren: :yeah: :siren:

thekeeshman posted:

I hope it's good, but I gotta say I've been hoping we would get a big budget HBO-type series instead, the books are so rich I feel like they need some room to breathe.

Yeah that would've been ideal, but I'm glad there may be more in whatever form. 20th Century is Disney, and I think I remember Disney is planning on rebooting the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise with 2 movies so maybe they want to explore spreading out their costs. The movie Surprise was in one of the Pirates movies already. Wonder if they'll want to or be able to use that same ship.

Since part of the first book was already in the original movie, I wonder if they'll meld Post Captain with some of the early stuff in the first book. Polychrest???

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The Surprise that was in the last movie is still down in LA so I imagine if they wanted it they could use it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The only similarity between the movie and Master & Commander is the boarding action. In fact you could adapt most of the series without retreading the movie. I think the only repeat would be trepanning Joe Plaice. The Surprise never even engages the American frigate in The Far Side of the World, Hollum doesn't kill himself, Maturin doesn't get shot by the Major, and they never contemplate a stick insect which don't live in the Galapagos anyway.*

Also the real-life Rose and USS Constitution are very different in size, but not as different as the fictional HM Sloop Sophie and El Gamo. (There's no way they would keep the name Caca Fuego in an adaptation.) On screen the Sophie capturing El Gamo would read quite differently from the action at the end of the movie.

*What would a stick insect be doing on an island that has no trees?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It'll be interesting to see whether this is actually a prequel or a reboot. M&C the novel is set in 1800 whereas M&C the movie was set in 1805 since they decided not to go for the War of 1812 and an American antagonist. Crowe and Bettany are way too old so hopefully it's an all new cast.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cast Crowe as Jack's father if it gets that far.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Trying Master and Commander again, and oh gods the slang :gonk:

Is poo poo like "t'garns'n'sheets" even legible to a native English speaker!?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No. Does it mean topgallants and sheets?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

Trying Master and Commander again, and oh gods the slang :gonk:

Is poo poo like "t'garns'n'sheets" even legible to a native English speaker!?

A lot of the language in these books would not be intelligible to a 17th century Englishman who wasn't a sailor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh, you've never heard of a gumb'r'll?

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh, you've never heard of a gumb'r'll?

Of course I have. If you're sailing by and large, how else could you trice a pudding?

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 6, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

This has long been my pipe dream but I feel like producers fear (probably correctly) that while there would be a loyal market for that kind of period drama, it wouldn't have a broad enough appeal to become something like GOT and significantly recoup its costs. The film made a respectable profit, but sitting down to watch two hours of naval battles on the big screen is a different prospect than investing time into multiple seasons of a TV series on the small screen.

I suppose the alternative would be to scale it down, remove a lot of the battles, film it on sets rather than on an actual working replica ship like the film was. (The TV series The Terror was entirely filmed indoors - the ship parts of it, anyway - and it looks fantastic, though to be fair they're frozen in the ice the entire series.) I wouldn't really mind that. I'm three quarters of the way through reading the series and will freely admit that I find the naval battles to be the least interesting part of them. Then if it actually picked up a following, you could expand the budget and do more exciting stuff. From memory the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones were almost cartoonishly underfunded compared to the later ones.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He says he won't read all twenty books just maybe the first three

This was me, several years back. I'd just seen the film, and I had always heard a lot about the books, and decided I'd read the first one, "just to see what it's like."

I was reading on my kindle, and as I recall I read it over several hours one night, went to sleep, woke up the next day and immediately started reading until the end. And as soon as I was done, I bought the second one and downloaded and started it immediately.

I think it was about a week and a half later and I was on book seven. Did nothing else but read these, work, and sleep, for a long time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

freebooter posted:

This has long been my pipe dream but I feel like producers fear (probably correctly) that while there would be a loyal market for that kind of period drama, it wouldn't have a broad enough appeal to become something like GOT and significantly recoup its costs. The film made a respectable profit, but sitting down to watch two hours of naval battles on the big screen is a different prospect than investing time into multiple seasons of a TV series on the small screen.

I suppose the alternative would be to scale it down, remove a lot of the battles, film it on sets rather than on an actual working replica ship like the film was. (The TV series The Terror was entirely filmed indoors - the ship parts of it, anyway - and it looks fantastic, though to be fair they're frozen in the ice the entire series.) I wouldn't really mind that. I'm three quarters of the way through reading the series and will freely admit that I find the naval battles to be the least interesting part of them. Then if it actually picked up a following, you could expand the budget and do more exciting stuff. From memory the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones were almost cartoonishly underfunded compared to the later ones.

I mean, Hornblower was pretty successful right?

I don't think you'd stretch out each book into a season but you could probably do 2-4 books per 12 episode season, expand or reduce the episodes per book as the book demands. If you do it well and have a good cast I think it would be a success.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think O'Brian already divides his writing into episodes.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean, Hornblower was pretty successful right?

I don't think you'd stretch out each book into a season but you could probably do 2-4 books per 12 episode season, expand or reduce the episodes per book as the book demands. If you do it well and have a good cast I think it would be a success.

It was popular but it's harder to find the info about how financially successful it was, since it doesn't have clear box office figures the way a film does. I'd also argue that a pre-streaming-era show commissioned by a British broadcaster about the glory days of the Royal Navy can expect a certain level of reliability in the domestic British audience, whereas the same kind of story (and the very expensive filming requirements that go along with it) would be harder to sell in the HBO boardroom in Los Angeles.

Having said that, the fact that..
a) The film was profitable and is a bit of a cult classic these days
b) Game of Thrones was the biggest smash hit phenom of the last decade, when fantasy has never really been a popular film or TV genre
...would make a big budget HBO production much more likely than in the past.

And to be clear, I also don't doubt it would be a financial and critical success in the long run - I think the problem would be convincing studios of that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think you're right that expecting the kind of audience from Aubrey/Maturin that justify a cost like GoT or even Mandalorian-level budget is probably not super realistic. Another successful movie makes that more likely though!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem is that water is just more expensive.

Plus these are still fairly niche, which I like. Every other franchise has an adaptation now. These, in my head, remain books. I like that.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I take back my earlier complaints about the bear suit bit being unbelievable and too picaresque. History has routed me.

https://westcorkpeople.ie/columnists/the-bear-from-waterford/

(I am absolutely in awe of O'Brian's depth of period knowledge, considering this is all pre-Internet or just at the dawn of the Internet at most).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Black Sails managed, somehow, and it has great naval shots and battles.