Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As someone outside the medical profession: my understanding is that you can learn conditioned responses to just about anything. For what it's worth, I don't personally have the association you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I acquired a free grill, by there is some rust on the grills. Do I need to clean it until I can't see any hint of rust anymore? Or is the idea to scrub away as much as I can and just reseason it?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a thread for pokemon cards? specifically, i'm trying to figure out how to properly value my old cards and sell them. they're all from the late 90s/early 00s. i'm not sure what happened to my hologram ones unfortunately, but i have around 500 or so various ones from the early sets.

i also have a bunch of star wars cards and baseball cards. maybe there's a general trading card thread?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Bioshuffle posted:

I acquired a free grill, by there is some rust on the grills. Do I need to clean it until I can't see any hint of rust anymore? Or is the idea to scrub away as much as I can and just reseason it?

I would just buy a new grate if it were me. They're not expensive and odds are your grill uses a standard size.

But otherwise your second option is better. You're never going to get all the rust off and it will definitely come back, so just scour enough off that you feel comfortable using it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

A lot of older programs would detect that as Windows 98 and try to do things that just don't work on a modern operating system.

Wait, so there wasn't actually a Windows 9, and it was because almost twenty years later they bungled into another Y2K situation?

I don't believe you. I had Windows 2000 and nothing worked on it, but it wasn't because of the name.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a bunch of explanations for why they skipped 9, whether it was third party software going "this is Win9x, we can't run on this", or if it was that 9 is an unlucky number in some cultures, or if they just wanted a clean break from 8.

The real reason is behind the spoiler

because seven eight nine

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Memento posted:

because seven eight nine

I knew that fucker was up to no good!!! :bahgawd:

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It was to have a higher number like MacOS which was already at 10.X

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have an Android phone with Google Authenticator (2FA) on it. I use it every day to login to my work accounts and sometimes personal accounts.

I've been thinking about turning on 2FA for more of my personal accounts but I'm worried about the following:

What happens if I lose my phone? Will it be as easy as finding another Android phone, installing Google Authenticator, and logging in with the email address that's connect to the Authenticator app?

I looked in the app and I'm unable to find anything about backup codes or anything like that so I'm worried that if I lose my phone, or I'm away from my phone for an extended period of time, I will not be able to login to any of my accounts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's a legit question, you can generate backup codes that will save you in that case though. Go to your google account>security settings>2-step verification, and you can generate one-time codes that let you get back into your account if you can't get in the normal ways. It's one of the very few things I have written down as a hardcopy.

I've crossed off 3 of the 10 it generated in 2014, and that entry in security settings says I have 7 more. You can generate a new set of 10 at any time, that will disable any of the previous set that are left.

edit: on mobile, I could reach this through settings>Google (services and preferences)>Manage your Google Account under my profile pic>swipe across to security>2-step verification then you can do it with the Backup Codes entry.

Memento fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 3, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Memento posted:

There's a bunch of explanations for why they skipped 9, whether it was third party software going "this is Win9x, we can't run on this", or if it was that 9 is an unlucky number in some cultures, or if they just wanted a clean break from 8.

The real reason is behind the spoiler

because seven eight nine

They did release a major revision of Windows between 8 and 9 but they called it 8.1. Windows 8 was the "touch focused" precursor to Windows 10 that dropped the start menu but leaned heavily into tiles. 8.1 walked that back and re-introduced the start menu but it was still a "touch first" OS back when their vision was in a year or two every laptop would have a touchscreen.

I still believe Windows 10 was supposed to be Windows One but when they changed the name they just added a zero and called it 10

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

What happens if I lose my phone? Will it be as easy as finding another Android phone, installing Google Authenticator, and logging in with the email address that's connect to the Authenticator app?

You'll eventually get that to work, but it's clunky to transfer to a new phone. I'd suggest Authy. It's much easier to move/have on multiple devices. Or even a password manager that supports 2FA.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The version numbers for Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are respectively NT 6.0, NT 6.1 and NT 6.2. Is it any wonder that some programmers just looked at the name?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

abelwingnut posted:

is there a thread for pokemon cards? specifically, i'm trying to figure out how to properly value my old cards and sell them. they're all from the late 90s/early 00s. i'm not sure what happened to my hologram ones unfortunately, but i have around 500 or so various ones from the early sets.

i also have a bunch of star wars cards and baseball cards. maybe there's a general trading card thread?

This is likely very similar to selling comic books or any other collectible thing. Look through what you have and see if there is anything particularly rare. There probably won't be. If there is, set that one aside and see what other copies have sold for recently on ebay. Price your copy of that rare item around the same as those. Everything else, sell as one big set, price them at 5-10 cents each. So $25 for all 500, and that's if they are in really good condition. Played with, folded, bent, faded, or ripped? Knock another $5 off.

If you really want to try and maximize your max return per card, you would want to look up each one on ebay, and that's still no guarantee you would get that much. It's way more efficient to sell as a bundle, and more likely to sell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Odd medical question (and prolly anthromormorphizing body functions), but does the body 'know' about water intake and outtake? Like, if I take a swig of water and have to pee, is it really going "water swigged, go pee now cuz that swig will burst us"? Is it a behavior, conditioned thing? Coincidence?
The body won't really 'know' about the water until it reaches the bloodstream, but that's reasonably fast.

Urination is regulated by releasing anti-diuetic hormone (ADH)
Your kidneys remove waste from your blood, and the 'first pass' urine from this process is very dilute. It is then passed by a semi-perneable membrane that lets water through to be reused by the body but leaves the waste products behind. The permeability of this membrane is adjusted by the presence of ADH - at a baseline it is not very permeable, not much water is recovered, and you the urine leaves the kidneys and goes to the bladder still pretty dilute.
If the body is experiencing water-stress it releases ADH, the membrane becomes more permeable, more water is recovered, and a smaller amount of more concentrated urine goes to the bladder.
Once the bladder is filled you will feel the need to urinate. Obviously the more dilute the urine your body is producing the faster this will happen.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Memento posted:

That's a legit question, you can generate backup codes that will save you in that case though. Go to your google account>security settings>2-step verification, and you can generate one-time codes that let you get back into your account if you can't get in the normal ways. It's one of the very few things I have written down as a hardcopy.

I've crossed off 3 of the 10 it generated in 2014, and that entry in security settings says I have 7 more. You can generate a new set of 10 at any time, that will disable any of the previous set that are left.

edit: on mobile, I could reach this through settings>Google (services and preferences)>Manage your Google Account under my profile pic>swipe across to security>2-step verification then you can do it with the Backup Codes entry.

Thank you, I'll look into this.

So when were the times you had to use your backup codes?

In a situation where I lose / break my phone, it would be as simple as buying a new phone, installing Google Authenticator, and logging into that app / phone with one of the backup codes? There are also other options to login, correct?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

In a situation where I lose / break my phone, it would be as simple as buying a new phone, installing Google Authenticator, and logging into that app / phone with one of the backup codes? There are also other options to login, correct?

I had to use one to get into my email when I was in Cuba and one of my credit cards stopped working.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

This is likely very similar to selling comic books or any other collectible thing. Look through what you have and see if there is anything particularly rare. There probably won't be. If there is, set that one aside and see what other copies have sold for recently on ebay. Price your copy of that rare item around the same as those. Everything else, sell as one big set, price them at 5-10 cents each. So $25 for all 500, and that's if they are in really good condition. Played with, folded, bent, faded, or ripped? Knock another $5 off.

If you really want to try and maximize your max return per card, you would want to look up each one on ebay, and that's still no guarantee you would get that much. It's way more efficient to sell as a bundle, and more likely to sell.

thanks.

i guess the part that's really confusing to me is grading. like...i don't know how to possibly grade any of this stuff, and that's obviously a huge factor in their worth. i definitely know some of the cards are worth something, though.

i guess i need to find a professional grader who'd grad e like the top 250 cards or something? no idea how much that would cost or how quick it'd be.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

does the body 'know' about water intake and outtake? Like, if I take a swig of water and have to pee, is it really going "water swigged, go pee now cuz that swig will burst us"? Is it a behavior, conditioned thing? Coincidence?

There’s quite a lot to ‘swig goes in, pee goes out’. Much more than can be put in a post here.

But briefly: yes, it does. (the body, ‘knowing’)

Your body tries to maintain homeostasis at all times. That means keeping the same state of body temperature, blood pressure, and all maner of attributes. How much water is in in your body in comparison to all the other components is a key factor in this.
So all over your body there are elements responding to just how much water there is, and how much there should be. Some of these elements are neural tissue, including your brain. And your brain can translate signals from your body to impulses; thoughts.
If your body needs water, your brain will tell you you’re thirsty. Bladder full: go pee.

I’m sorry if this reply seemed too basic. Or maybe you meant a different question; does our body possess a consciousness outside of our perceived consciousness as an individual?
Your question was quite broad, but I might be able to tell something about human physiology; I have a degree in biology. If you want to know about the nature of consciousness, I’d love to muse but that’s about it.

Edit: MisterBibs, are you the guy who chocked on a hotdog? Is this a bit?
I’d be happy to tell about the fundamentals of physiology, but leave me out of any skits.

Edit 2: It just occurred to me you might be referring to the action of taking a swig. Like, literally swallowing the liquid in your mouth. Yeah, No: the discreet action of swallowing liquid does not increase the production of urine.

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 4, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

thanks.

i guess the part that's really confusing to me is grading. like...i don't know how to possibly grade any of this stuff, and that's obviously a huge factor in their worth. i definitely know some of the cards are worth something, though.

i guess i need to find a professional grader who'd grad e like the top 250 cards or something? no idea how much that would cost or how quick it'd be.

I know comic books better than cards, but I imagine the systems are very similar.

Grading for a comic book done by a professional company is kind of pricey for what it is. You send the company your comic, in some kind of protective container, probably a bit sturdier than a padded envelope, then they will grade it certify it and professionally seal it with the grade across the top of container. They also (should) cover insurance in case something happens when shipping it back to you

This is a service that does both comics and cards, and they start at $9 a pop for card grading.
https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/?view=trading-cards

This is not the only service, but you can see that some of them would take the better part of a year to turn around (That is for bulk submissions, and on the extreme end), and if you want to turn these over quickly it may not be worth the investment.

All that being said, if you have something rare, that you see selling for over $50, then maybe paying $10 for that certification is worth it for one or two items. If you have something that's regularly selling for hundreds of dollars, then yeah, by all means, spend that $10 to get it graded and protected. The real gamble there is if it comes back as a 6 or 7, then that is kind of out on main that it's not in great condition.

I'm not trying to talk you out of selling your collection or getting the most money out of it. But there are some people convinced that any card or comic is worth lots of money, just because it is a collectible. I'm also not saying your stuff is worthless, but it probably won't net you a lot. Good luck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Busy Bee posted:

Using a new computer when I had access to a landline phone only, so I could call my wife to read me out a code, and I had to check emails. That was all three times; I was working for a company that had very strict rules around what devices you could bring onto that particular site. When it said "Trust this computer for future logins" it was kind of a crapshoot whether it would actually remember me, or need a code.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was doing laundry today and I noticed an odd musty odor. It seemed to be confined to the laundry room (where my furnace/ac is). Then later my AC kicked on and I noticed the smell right when it came on. What is going on here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was doing laundry today and I noticed an odd musty odor. It seemed to be confined to the laundry room (where my furnace/ac is). Then later my AC kicked on and I noticed the smell right when it came on. What is going on here?

You may have detected a clogged condensate drain or a failed condensate pump right before it makes a mess. If you don't know what those things are, can you take a picture or two of the furnace?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Motronic posted:

You may have detected a clogged condensate drain or a failed condensate pump right before it makes a mess. If you don't know what those things are, can you take a picture or two of the furnace?

Sure!

I think the black pipe is the condensate drain? That's a total guess but the AC itself is back that way

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 5, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I think the black pipe is the condensate drain? That's a total guess but the AC itself is back that way

Not sure about the black pipe, but it's not likely related. I can't tell what it's coming from and going to.

First thing I'd like to verify is if that thing a labeled "floor drain" is. And if there is space to just like....dump a bucket of water in there and see if it drains.

Then if I'm right about the "connected here?" and that the second pic is the same pipe you want to make sure it is also clear. What's up with the upper left of that first photo for the white pipe? Is that just open? If it's what I'm thinking it probably is. You can actually try dumping some water down there to make sure it drains.

If I'm speculating correctly about all of this and everything drains properly it's going to be time to go deeper into your furnace/AC unit to make sure the condensate pan can drain, but I'm not going to overload on info right now and potentially wrong assumptions about what connects to what.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Motronic posted:

Not sure about the black pipe, but it's not likely related. I can't tell what it's coming from and going to.

First thing I'd like to verify is if that thing a labeled "floor drain" is. And if there is space to just like....dump a bucket of water in there and see if it drains.

Then if I'm right about the "connected here?" and that the second pic is the same pipe you want to make sure it is also clear. What's up with the upper left of that first photo for the white pipe? Is that just open? If it's what I'm thinking it probably is. You can actually try dumping some water down there to make sure it drains.

If I'm speculating correctly about all of this and everything drains properly it's going to be time to go deeper into your furnace/AC unit to make sure the condensate pan can drain, but I'm not going to overload on info right now and potentially wrong assumptions about what connects to what.

Yes, that's a floor drain. And the pipe is indeed open. And they are connected. Once it's done running here in a bit I'll try running some water. My floor drain does have an issue that it need rooted every so often, and normally I can tell by the washer overflowing the drain. But the white pipe from the furnace just drops into it, so I'd guess any blockage is in that? I called an HVAC place here in town, they'll call me back tomorrow morning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yes, that's a floor drain. And the pipe is indeed open. And they are connected. Once it's done running here in a bit I'll try running some water. My floor drain does have an issue that it need rooted every so often, and normally I can tell by the washer overflowing the drain. But the white pipe from the furnace just drops into it, so I'd guess any blockage is in that? I called an HVAC place here in town, they'll call me back tomorrow morning.

Can't be sure, but if the whit pipe is open, the floor drain is draining it off then you're left with potentially the AC drain pan as an issue.......could be clogged, could just be nasty and need to be cleaned.....the condensate coming off of it could just be causing turbulence that stirs up the smell.

That's why I was suggesting stating with the floor drain and working back......check out the easiest things to verify first to make sure that's all good then go into the "you probably need someone who has some specific skills and tools" area.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Motronic posted:

Can't be sure, but if the whit pipe is open, the floor drain is draining it off then you're left with potentially the AC drain pan as an issue.......could be clogged, could just be nasty and need to be cleaned.....the condensate coming off of it could just be causing turbulence that stirs up the smell.

That's why I was suggesting stating with the floor drain and working back......check out the easiest things to verify first to make sure that's all good then go into the "you probably need someone who has some specific skills and tools" area.

Thanks, that is a good plan. I figured yeah if it's anything more complicated than those pipes I'm not the right person for the job, ha.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a sports betting thread somewhere? I remember there being one but I can't find it anymore.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

I know comic books better than cards, but I imagine the systems are very similar.

Grading for a comic book done by a professional company is kind of pricey for what it is. You send the company your comic, in some kind of protective container, probably a bit sturdier than a padded envelope, then they will grade it certify it and professionally seal it with the grade across the top of container. They also (should) cover insurance in case something happens when shipping it back to you

This is a service that does both comics and cards, and they start at $9 a pop for card grading.
https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/?view=trading-cards

This is not the only service, but you can see that some of them would take the better part of a year to turn around (That is for bulk submissions, and on the extreme end), and if you want to turn these over quickly it may not be worth the investment.

All that being said, if you have something rare, that you see selling for over $50, then maybe paying $10 for that certification is worth it for one or two items. If you have something that's regularly selling for hundreds of dollars, then yeah, by all means, spend that $10 to get it graded and protected. The real gamble there is if it comes back as a 6 or 7, then that is kind of out on main that it's not in great condition.

I'm not trying to talk you out of selling your collection or getting the most money out of it. But there are some people convinced that any card or comic is worth lots of money, just because it is a collectible. I'm also not saying your stuff is worthless, but it probably won't net you a lot. Good luck.

Here's a grading guide by PSA (a grading service): https://www.psacollector.com/how-to-grade-pokemon-cards/

Here's another one for Magic cards: https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Help/CardCondition

A local game store, if OP has access to one, can probably give a rough estimate of how much the pile of cards is worth.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

jkk posted:

Here's a grading guide by PSA (a grading service): https://www.psacollector.com/how-to-grade-pokemon-cards/

Here's another one for Magic cards: https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Help/CardCondition

A local game store, if OP has access to one, can probably give a rough estimate of how much the pile of cards is worth.

thanks, both.

yea, i'm in nyc so there's gotta be someone here who can give me a rough estimate and if it's worth going to a professional grader. guess i'll look for a good store first and go from there.

thanks, again!

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I have an Android phone but a Macbook* computer. Is there a trustworthy program that will facilitate me hooking my phone up via a cable to transfer files to the computer? Other methods are proving too slow.

*I capitulated to my Mac user wife, alas

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Christoph posted:

I have an Android phone but a Macbook* computer. Is there a trustworthy program that will facilitate me hooking my phone up via a cable to transfer files to the computer? Other methods are proving too slow.

Does macOS not just mount the phone as an external drive?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

hooah posted:

Does macOS not just mount the phone as an external drive?

No, friend. You are expecting too much of Mac. After buying an $80 adaptor for the sole purpose of hooking a USB cord to my computer (it comes with no USB port), I hooked it up to my Samsung Galaxy 9 and... nothin'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Use Google’s own Android File Transfer?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

I'll try it again. Last times I tried to use it the computer would recognize my phone for a split second then say it was disconnected.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Christoph posted:

No, friend. You are expecting too much of Mac. After buying an $80 adaptor for the sole purpose of hooking a USB cord to my computer (it comes with no USB port), I hooked it up to my Samsung Galaxy 9 and... nothin'.

Pretty sure they do come with USB ports. Maybe you mean no USB A port? Which is true, but C is pretty nice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Does the phone recognize it is plugged in to a computer?

On my android phone, when I plug it in to any computer, it will pop up a message that says "Charging". If I tap on that I then get the option to swap to file transfer mode (and a few others that I never use). Sometimes I have to do that twice, even on a windows machine to get it to recognize the phone as a mountable drive. Otherwise it does what you describe, shows up for a second, then disappears.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Christoph posted:

What kind of files? You should be able to share any folder on the laptop over your local network and then mount or access that folder from your phone. Here’s a guide for the Mac part of the solution: https://seo-michael.co.uk/browse-files-on-mac-with-es-file-explorer-and-sftp/

This will probably max out at like 50MB/s instead of the potential 625MB/s a wired connection gets you. However, depending on the files you’re sharing, you’ll never get close to the optimal speed wired anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just received a few spam texts that had a large number of diacritic marks for no reason. What's the purpose of these with respect to whatever scam the person's trying to pull? E.g. "hi, is thìs Mikè iñ Bättle Creek? It is Jen." and "Ugh guess he gave mé the iñcòrrect numbre..what a dick! Anyways, what r yå doin?"