Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I feel like they should just change restock machines to reroll machines, have them apply the D6 and D20 effect to everything in the room (so whenever you find them in a secret room with just, like, a sack they're not useless 90% of the time) and then bring them back to shops

You already have the Restock item and you already nerfed that too. it's fine. just change it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Amorphous Abode posted:

All you would need to make that mod in your own home is a handful of dice and a sheet of notebook paper. Have some fun with it!

I just want to say that I love this idea. Thanks for this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just bring restock machines back imo, they're fun. Maybe I'd actually see Birthright on someone other than Tainted Cain.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Holy cow, you guys weren't kidding about R Key.

I think it's easily the best item to discover organically besides maybe mega blast or mega mush

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Moon Monster posted:

Just bring restock machines back imo, they're fun. Maybe I'd actually see Birthright on someone other than Tainted Cain.

Yeah bring back restock machines at least a bit but keep the mechanic where they always blow up the first time if you use a bomb on them

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not missing this

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400644695382892545?s=20

Nevermind

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400662561461211142?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 4, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Moon Monster posted:

Whoa that's a bug? I assumed they had just decided restock machines made shops too powerful.

At launch it was intended, but the most recent patch notes said that now in Normal mode, shops have a 25% chance to contain a restock machine. As you can see this is not the case. 25% seems about right -- Donation Machines can be pretty powerful too if you have a lot of bombs

edit: and yeah now bombing them blows them up 100% of the time. It also rerolls things twice in quick succession when it blows which is probably actually relevant maybe 1% of runs but I feel like every time it happens I see Stopwatch or Birthright or something appear and then get rerolled away lol

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got a crazy Tainted Eve run to fill out boss rush. First floor ghost pepper probably would have carried me by itself because of her synergy, but the game decided to give me holy light, flight, glowing hourglass, Chad, even tech 0 in a crawlspace in Sheol on the way to mega Stan. I lost perfection once, but I had the hourglass charged.

I always play too slow and getting boss rush is usually stressful, but the game wanted me to have this one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Instead of lore can you patch your game more Ed

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I once had a greed game where I bought a credit card from the shop, and then the next floor had an r key for 49c. The hardest part from there was keeping the game from crashing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sharkitten posted:

Ed's not a programmer so him taking an hour to do a Q&A will not harm the patching process. Lore is literally what his job is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Pretty sure Kilburn's namely handling the programming now, and they're pretty hard at work. They've currently gathered a lot info about existing bugs.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Araxxor posted:

Pretty sure Kilburn's namely handling the programming now, and they're pretty hard at work. They've currently gathered a lot info about existing bugs.

And, of course, info about what items are fun or good and must be nerfed

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, these colabs are amazing

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400860081034391557?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400858602496151553?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400857919927709699?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1400857086154604544?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 4, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Witch is way too strong.

Her ability should be making you yell "I just need a three, you piece of poo poo! gently caress it!" and then you just throw all of your dice at the enemy and die.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've had two absolutely insane runs in a row, the first I didn't expect to win but still did, and the second rolling off the first having picked up Eden's Blessing which gave the second run... Polyphemus :eyepop:

If you ever get the chance to take the Urn of Souls as Bethany or just having a Book of Virtues, do it. I won a Beast ending with a near constant state of 2 red hearts the entire run because Urn of Souls + Urn wisps just destroy things.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sharkitten posted:

Greenplastic posted:

And, of course, info about what items are fun or good and must be nerfed

are u guys ok

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

buff 10 worthless items enough to make them viable and nobody bats an eye. make one absurdly broken item slightly less good and everybody loses their minds

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

watho posted:

buff 10 worthless items enough to make them viable and nobody bats an eye. make one absurdly broken item slightly less good and everybody loses their minds

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've actually heard quite a bit of praise for crappy items being made usable. Doesn't mean it doesn't stink when a fun item gets wrecked.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What got wrecked? The biggest nerf feels like it was to The Nail, all the others still feel fine to me (even dark bum).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Big things are stuff like serpent's kiss and maw of the void that funneled black hearts into you. Maw is still decent with high damage but it's not a must take anymore really. I still get tons of use out of serpent's kiss though, it pairs very well with shield items and cards/pills

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shard of Glass is the main one that's really bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as a whole i think they were just trying to make red heart builds suck less compared to stacking as many silver/black hearts as possible, and i think they succeeded at that real well. the only nerf i dislike on its face is making the holy mantle have less duration, but everything else is fine + it certainly isn't 'ed hates his players and made the game unplayable' like people were coming swinging out of the gate with

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

What got wrecked? The biggest nerf feels like it was to The Nail, all the others still feel fine to me (even dark bum).

Brimstone, Godhead, which are both now no long auto-wins.

That Serpent's Kiss nerf also hurt 3-Dollar Bill. Serpent's Kiss was so good pre-nerf that getting Serpent's Kiss tears like 5% of the time would pay out crazy black hearts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Shard of Glass is the main one that's really bad.

shard of glass is less a nerf and more of an entire item rewrite IMO and i think it just needs some bugfixes (it tries to not kill you and as such it should never do so, and if the item gets rolled away while you're bleeding it should stop the bleeding to make it not kill tainted eden)

maybe also make it guaranteed to drop a half-heart the first time you take damage from it, so if you keep losing the roll for it dropping hearts while you're bleeding you don't just bleed your entire life away?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It should just be completely reverted, an item that just drains you down to half a heart is a really stupid idea even if it stops actually killing you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it deals out a ton of damage -- last time I had it it nuked every boss i faced down real quickly -- and any form of healing stops the bleeding. it's not just 'if you take any damage you're unstoppably down all your hearts.'

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Yeah I like new shard of glass, but it's a sometimes food. It also makes you drop full red hearts when taking damage 25% of the time or something so it usually solves itself if you really don't want to be bleeding.
It should absolutely stop bleeding you when it gets rerolled, that's just a dumb oversight imo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It should just be completely reverted, an item that just drains you down to half a heart is a really stupid idea even if it stops actually killing you.

should also remove damocles, glass canon, blood oath, hemotemasis and so on then

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Brimstone, Godhead, which are both now no long auto-wins.

That Serpent's Kiss nerf also hurt 3-Dollar Bill. Serpent's Kiss was so good pre-nerf that getting Serpent's Kiss tears like 5% of the time would pay out crazy black hearts.

these are still really strong items even after being nerfed. which probably means that the nerfs were warranted.
stuff like the holy mantle nerf is a bit more questionable but most of the nerfs fall under the umbrella of “less strong but still really strong”

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah holy mantle is the only nerf that i feel was unwarranted. godhead no longer scaling with your damage feels not great as well. i’ll live with that tho considering how good holy water and ghost pepper is now

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I love the buffs to a lot of the bad items, but there are a still a lot of really bad items

i.e no.2, curse of the tower, soy milk, the wiz etc

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sorry but Soy Milk (and Almond) are both actually really good. They're also not immediate losses when you pick them up now as opposed to before Repentance.

I think No. 2 has a niche it can be good for if only because it won me a Greedier run. That niche is just super narrow and otherwise is a pain to make use of.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sharkitten posted:

I love the buffs to a lot of the bad items, but there are a still a lot of really bad items

i.e no.2, curse of the tower, soy milk, the wiz etc

i thought no2 SUCKED until i realized that it only drops a bomb when you hold the fire button for a few seconds, making a minor pain if you're on a charge build but otherwise it's infinite bombs for next to no effort. soy milk has its place in some builds (mainly tear effect builds and ones where you already had not great fire rate) and i think it's hilarious to pick up in a charge build because you're just firing brimstone/chocolate milk/monstro endlessly. the wiz isn't great but i've picked it up when i have homing tears or tech zero to offset its issues

curse of the tower just makes me wish more pyromaniac items were in the game + i feel it sucking is because it's a 'curse' item, just like how cursed eye hurts

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

these are still really strong items even after being nerfed. which probably means that the nerfs were warranted.
stuff like the holy mantle nerf is a bit more questionable but most of the nerfs fall under the umbrella of “less strong but still really strong”

I did not say they weren't warranted. He wanted to know what people are butthurt about, and it's definitely those two. I think the game's balance is in a super good place right now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no. 2 has always been good and soy milk is extremely good now with a few exceptions

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

soy milk is really good now.
challenge 3 used to be absolutely miserable and now it's basically free

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
No. 2 is borderline op, it's free secret rooms forever. Curse of the Tower is better than it's ever been (and is imo a good time), the Wiz is a troll item but is actually incredibly strong with homing or tractor beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My favourite part is they nerfed Godhead, an item that requires every unlock in a difficult character and yet they kept Sacred Heart, an item that gives you homing/double damage/one third of flight, is unlocked with Angel Rooms and is a run winner; exactly the same