Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Do one better and deep fake all the Chinese flags back in. RELEASE THE CHINA CUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Borderlands plot mostly revolves around a black guy and a group of women so which character is gonna get to be the boring audience surrogate white guy?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1400897973337296896?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

OMG....OMG...

Please bring back ultra fat Russel Crowe.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if they're going to adapt a story from halfway through the series again.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1400961392660844545

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Weird way to announce a 101 Dalmatians live action remake

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Borderlands plot mostly revolves around a black guy and a group of women so which character is gonna get to be the boring audience surrogate white guy?

Handsome Jack?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

In ten years time, deep-faking will be so cheap and pervasive that old-school filmed productions will be deemed too costly of an endeavour.

Instead of new releases, films are mixed-and-matched together and re-released with almost a gleeful cruelty against artistic intent.

We are absolutely going to see Ip Man 7: The Right stuff.

Donny Yen's wizened asian face will give Ed Harris' character new life, and every American flag will be jankily edited out in the most noticeable way possible.

Years and Years is an absolutely wretched BBC miniseries from 2019 about the not so distant future that is so full of dumb British nonsense you could write a book but it does put forward some predictions about how pervasive and dangerous deepfakes are going to be that are probably correct.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

OMG....OMG...

Please bring back ultra fat Russel Crowe.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if they're going to adapt a story from halfway through the series again.

From the article:

quote:

Sources say this pic would be based on the first book in the series, which shows a young Aubrey as he is given his first command and also explores how his friendship with his naval surgeon, Stephen Maturin (Bettany), begins. Since this would be set in the early days of Aubrey, it also is likely they would have new talent playing Aubrey and Maturin as well.

This and no Peter Weir makes it hard to get too excited.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm really down for an Aubrey-Maturin story from an early book.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

In ten years time, deep-faking will be so cheap and pervasive that old-school filmed productions will be deemed too costly of an endeavour.

Instead of new releases, films are mixed-and-matched together and re-released with almost a gleeful cruelty against artistic intent.

We are absolutely going to see Ip Man 7: The Right stuff.

Donny Yen's wizened asian face will give Ed Harris' character new life, and every American flag will be jankily edited out in the most noticeable way possible.

If Quibi taught me anything its that there are people out there who will burn literally billions of dollars to circumvent union regulations so the minute it becomes feasible to cheaply and seamlessly insert a photorealistic CGI body double into a shot I expect the concept of living actors will be rapidly and aggressively shoved down the toilet. Certainly Disney must be chomping at the bit for something like that; RDJ cost a lot of money and Tom Holland ain't getting any younger, to say nothing about what happened with Chadwick Boseman and Carrie Fisher.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Paramount also greenlighted a new Quiet Place movie for 2023, based on a story by Krasinski but directed by Jeff Nichols.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If Quibi taught me anything its that there are people out there who will burn literally billions of dollars to circumvent union regulations so the minute it becomes feasible to cheaply and seamlessly insert a photorealistic CGI body double into a shot I expect the concept of living actors will be rapidly and aggressively shoved down the toilet. Certainly Disney must be chomping at the bit for something like that; RDJ cost a lot of money and Tom Holland ain't getting any younger, to say nothing about what happened with Chadwick Boseman and Carrie Fisher.

We are 100% going to see a full blown CGI-Boseman lead film released within our lifetimes.

Digital necromancy ain't poo poo when there's money on the table.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Given that looks more like BL2 characters, probably Axton? Or yeah, Handsome Jack.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Master and Commander is a loving masterpiece and I can't imagine anyone doing as well as Crowe and Bettany.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s gonna be chalomet and redmayne

Ship me by your name

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Paramount also greenlighted a new Quiet Place movie for 2023, based on a story by Krasinski but directed by Jeff Nichols.

John Krasinski please gently caress off forever

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Considering how utterly dull the new movie was, I can't imagine where they'd take the third part.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

NY just passed a law requiring licensing from the estate to make a deep fake of a dead actor for profit. The MPA objected until they removed the clause that made it retroactive so it'll only apply to actors who die after this year. Hopefully that'll help somewhat.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Judakel posted:

Considering how utterly dull the new movie was, I can't imagine where they'd take the third part.

It turns out the CIA has survived the monster apocalypse and is fighting back, but there's a group of Iranian and Bolivian rebels who have snuck into the United States and allied with the monsters to bring down humanity.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

duz posted:

NY just passed a law requiring licensing from the estate to make a deep fake of a dead actor for profit. The MPA objected until they removed the clause that made it retroactive so it'll only apply to actors who die after this year. Hopefully that'll help somewhat.

Looking forward to all movies only starring the digital corpses of actors who died before 2019 as of 2034.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Eric Roberts selling his likeness in perpetuity for a small bag of cocaine and half a grilled cheese.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think the lesson here is that women have so few options for blockbuster movies starring women that anything approaching that will do well.

And nostalgia?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Joe Bogan posted:

Looking forward to all movies only starring the digital corpses of actors who died before 2019 as of 2034.

lol seriously. Removing that clause is a massive bonehead move - why would any studio pay up for the privilege of working on a new deepfake when there’s a free treasure trove of actors out there?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They had been trying to pass the law for like 5 years, the MPA has no problems throwing money around to make sure it didn't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo... the video game???

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What I’m wondering is how long until there’s “original” deepfakes that aren’t of any particular person. Hollywood would love to have “actors” that can never get metoo’d or ask for a higher salary.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

galagazombie posted:

What I’m wondering is how long until there’s “original” deepfakes that aren’t of any particular person. Hollywood would love to have “actors” that can never get metoo’d or ask for a higher salary.

They tried this with the CGI model in Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. She was supposed to then be able to star in other movies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ah yes, Vertigo, a movie famous for it's scenes involving a car crash, a tree house, and an arch bridge.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ah yes, Vertigo, a movie famous for it's scenes involving a car crash, a tree house, and an arch bridge.

CAN YOU TRUST YOUR MIND???

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

galagazombie posted:

1995 with digital actress Laura

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo... the video game???

After years of this thread watching this trailer was the first thing to make me mouth "who greenlighted this poo poo" out loud.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Part of what makes Hollywood stars stars is that they are people outside of movies. People tune in to watch them on late night shows and follow them on Instagram. They get more attached to the person that any particular character. Will Smith or Tom Cruise or Jennifer Lawrence never completely disappear into their roles...you’re always aware that you’re watching a specific person with specific quirks and traits that you’ve seen over and over in many different movies. That’s part of their appeal.

None of that is replaceable with a deepfake. When you remove the personal connection (they are wildly famous but are also people just like us) then you’re not getting the same sort of emotional attachment. Replacing a famous actress in a scene here and there is one thing, but trying to digitally resurrect Chadwick Bozeman and make him the Black Panther for the next 100 years is never going to work. Likewise, a built from the ground up deepfake is never going to be a substitute for Robert Downey jr. They will certainly have their uses but if they become prevalent at all in movies it will be replacing extras, bit parts and character actors, not the famous (and expensive) names.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I can't find the posts to respond to but I could see Henry Cavill being a fit for some kind of Master and Commander role.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

YOLOsubmarine posted:

None of that is replaceable with a deepfake.

This is where your argument falls apart.

Look at the (questionably legitimate) feedback on specifically Disney's recent necromancy with Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil. "Fans" were in tears over this tasteless poo poo.

Deepfakes will absolutely create and reinforced emotional feedback loops. This will go double when the faking becomes indistinguishable. It's the old Westworld line- if you can't tell it's fake, does that itself make it real?

It will turn western creative culture on it's head and it will never, ever be the same again.

Look what happened with CGI over practical special effects.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

This is where your argument falls apart.

Look at the (questionably legitimate) feedback on specifically Disney's recent necromancy with Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil. "Fans" were in tears over this tasteless poo poo.

Deepfakes will absolutely create and reinforced emotional feedback loops. This will go double when the faking becomes indistinguishable. It's the old Westworld line- if you can't tell it's fake, does that itself make it real?

It will turn western creative culture on it's head and it will never, ever be the same again.

Look what happened with CGI over practical special effects.

Digitally recreating Carrie Fisher or Mark Hammill isn’t the same as creating them from whole cloth. We already know how people react to invented characters because cartoons have existed for like a century. They already digitally recreated Ewan McGregor and it was a popular cartoon but did not actually lead to Ewan McGregor being replaced with the cartoon version of Ewan McGregor in all future movies.

I’m sure Star Wars will continue to trade on tacky nostalgia however they can but that doesn’t mean that in twenty years every movie is going to be populated with CG actors and all the future Hot Chrises are going to be panhandling. The faking will never be indistinguishable because we can’t recreate a person digitally and we certainly can’t manifest them in the real world. A person isn’t just their likeness or their voice.

Also, like, why western creative culture specifically? Do you think they don’t have computers in Central or east Asia? Or that they don’t have celebrity actors?

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 6, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Something else to consider are the Muppets. How many actors have played Kermit, now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Neo Rasa posted:

After years of this thread watching this trailer was the first thing to make me mouth "who greenlighted this poo poo" out loud.

The concept seems like it would be some prototype ROM for the Atari 2600 that was buried due to the video game collapse and not some sort of opening credit sequencing for the second novel in a early 2000s low budget detective movie series