Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smirr posted:

I just hate Ineos more than I hate Valverde v:shobon:v

Caught cheaters are cooler than uncaught cheaters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Why tf would you ever root for Valverde

e: is he on the list of this threads list of cheaters oh but it's ok for him like contador?

He was the most straightforward guy besides Carapaz in the Movistar documentary and he has powerful PEDs old man energy, so as an old man myself I'm allowed to like him and laugh with him at the concept of teamwork.

e: I hope Bernal is OK, I like him too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all seriousness Valverde got caught and did the time, I never got what rhe problem was. much cooler than not getting caught because your team is too big or influential in the English speaking media world for consequences.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

moctopus posted:

I know there's a ton of questions about how significantly he was affected, when he actually caught it, if he was vaccinated, but it's still wild to have the news declared that you have covid right after winning a grand tour.

Are you wondering if they swept some positives during the last stages under the rug?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Are you wondering if they swept some positives during the last stages under the rug?

Kind of. It's just a bit out there to win a grand tour with covid. So I'm rolling it around my head is he on PEDs (outside the regular reasons to think he is, Ineos/professional cyclist), Did he not contract it until it was over? Was he asymptomatic? Was he just that much better than his competition this year?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

moctopus posted:

Kind of. It's just a bit out there to win a grand tour with covid. So I'm rolling it around my head is he on PEDs (outside the regular reasons to think he is, Ineos/professional cyclist), Did he not contract it until it was over? Was he asymptomatic? Was he just that much better than his competition this year?

He's young and fit

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

moctopus posted:

He's young and fit and probably caught it celebrating afterwards. Would be unusual to get significant disease in your early 20's

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

He tested negative on the last rest day. If his positive was this Thursday then he would maybe have been exposed during the race, maybe the last week, but was still in the early pre symptom phase before Turin.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 5, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We're going to miss most or all of the first climb at the Dauphine today, I don't really get the point of paying for the camera bikes and helicopters and planes then only using them for less than half the stage.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He's young and fit and probably caught it celebrating afterwards. Would be unusual to get significant disease in your early 20's

This would be my guess, lots of celebratory hugs and large press events

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

We're going to miss most or all of the first climb at the Dauphine today, I don't really get the point of paying for the camera bikes and helicopters and planes then only using them for less than half the stage.

Smirr posted:

On the other hand, I can't wait for our annual final stage where the broadcast starts with ~40 km to go

:hmmyes: it is known

The Dauphiné is the bike race equivalent of that joke about the food being terrible and the portions being so small

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Broadcast starts in an hour and they're 9 km from the Col du Pré and 21 from the Cormet de Roselend. There will be one (1) televised climb. Owns

e: finish is scheduled for ~14:30 to 15:00. Like, do they want to make sure people don't miss the riveting finish of Dwars door het Hageland?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nice mountains.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Broadcast starts in an hour and they're 9 km from the Col du Pré and 21 from the Cormet de Roselend. There will be one (1) televised climb. Owns

e: finish is scheduled for ~14:30 to 15:00. Like, do they want to make sure people don't miss the riveting finish of Dwars door het Hageland?

After having full stage coverage for the Giro and the Tour and loads of the classics it really does suck when you get the last 60k or everything else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moviestar... good?????

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Moviestar... good?????

I was just about to post "what is this galaxy brain poo poo from Movistar?". Let's wait and see

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Like, if they're trying to set up an attack for Miguel Angel Lopez, they should know that they're getting close to dropping him

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don’t like it, after yesterday I can’t assume they will hilariously gently caress this up.

I’ve watched every stage of this race I think and hearing that he crashed earlier is the first time I’ve realised Greg Van Avermaet is in it.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Also: it should be illegal for Thomas's sunglasses and Hart's hosed up fivehead to be on the screen at the same time

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seb Kuss looks SUPER strong all of a sudden.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I loved that shot of Superman at the front of the GC group, unwilling to defend against Porte's attack. Him and Movistar are a match made in heaven

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kuss always looks strong then always goes way too early and pops ages before the finish

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Smirr posted:

Also: it should be illegal for Thomas's sunglasses and Hart's hosed up fivehead to be on the screen at the same time

He legit has room to rest his massive sunglasses on his forehead whilst still wearing his helmet

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

Kuss always looks strong then always goes way too early and pops ages before the finish
But OP, what if he doesn't????

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

OK, the successful Mas -> Lopez relay owned. I can't imagine they'll get 42 seconds, but I have to acknowledge that

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh wait, they're just dragging Porte onto the podium lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

But OP, what if he doesn't????

Reader, he did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is one of the best stage finishes in France, Idk why the TDF hasn't been for an absurd length of time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

Reader, he did.
:hmmyes:

Also, Padun shows us how you eat yourself.

EDIT: Now the question is whether Porte is still bad at mountain descents? Because that could decide things tomorrow.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 5, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lutsenko is going to win 4 Vino on the Joux-Plane because we all love Vino.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of La Plange this was fun

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1400899405125988352?s=19

Love to calmly sit down and simply ride every pure climber in the race off my wheels while being visibly larger than all of them. EPO was badass

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
sure the dauphine sounds cool and all but does it have Mark “Cav” Cavendish, Taco van der Hoorn and

*checks notes*

Laurens Sweek?

https://twitter.com/cyclingtodayen/status/1401168587860099076?s=21

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Quickstep update:

“Cav” has gone to the bus and Stybar is in a ditch with half of his kit ripped off

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of La Plange this was fun

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1400899405125988352?s=19

Love to calmly sit down and simply ride every pure climber in the race off my wheels while being visibly larger than all of them. EPO was badass
Imagine legalizing EPO today with the bikes that exist now instead of ones made from steel.
Assuming the frames could stand the forces, we'd see up-hill races look almost cartoony.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Rasmus Tiller :norway: beat some extremely horny van poppels and conor swifts by being literally invisible until the last possible moment

cool troBro-ish race

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/TheShoeStar/status/1401174802833063937

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cancel culture works

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Why did they change the race name

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

drat I figured the race would be over by now and they've only got to mile 155 just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I wondered why that was newsworthy and I solemnly promise that I will continue to never remember the name of the MAGA chud cyclist