Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

I was thinking the other day. Has anyone ever tried a speaker cable company that just sells cables of stranded precious metals? Silver for the pleb tier, moving on up to gold and platinum, and then some ultra rare earth metals for the big spenders. I reckon it could be a money spinner

I think you're massively underestimating how much gold costs. If my math is right, 1M of a single conductor 16AWG gold wire would have ~$1541 worth of gold at today's spot price. You'd have to sell it for obscene amounts just to get your money back and you'd probably have to have them pay upfront.

Given the volumes involved and the difficulty of actually obtaining that much gold and turning it into something usable, you'd probably have to charge at least $10k/m just to break even on a two conductor cable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A long lead time after paying out / waitlist to even be accepted to purchase the product is a bug not a feature.

P r e m i u m.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

smellmycheese posted:

I was thinking the other day. Has anyone ever tried a speaker cable company that just sells cables of stranded precious metals? Silver for the pleb tier, moving on up to gold and platinum, and then some ultra rare earth metals for the big spenders. I reckon it could be a money spinner

I think pure silver would be too fragile to make one of those speaker cables made of 78 individually shielded strands woven in a tennis net formation that costs $1000 a metre. Solid silver core 12 AWG, now we're talking.

If your speaker wires aren't solid 24 carat gold and thick as an industrial power cable then you're not really listening to music.

Wait this needs to be palladium. I think that's mildly toxic and also very expensive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pure silver interconnects were certainly a thing for connecting your iPod to your portable amp back in the day

IIRC they were paying >$100 for a cable a few inches long

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

There are definitely silver cables out there but I've never heard of gold, even at the stupid 80 grand MIT Cables level. I'd guess no supplier makes stranded gold wire for them to use.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Pure gold is probably a lousy material to make wires out of. Not because of its electrical properties, but because terminating the connections would be difficult. It's so ductile that I doubt crimping would work well, and soldering to solid gold is problematic. (see: https://www.indium.com/blog/soldering-to-gold.php)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You just make everything else out of gold

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Why sell expensive things with a huge markup when you could sell cheap things and a couple paragraphs of bullshit for the same price?

Also, meteoric iron cables, for sound that's out of this world!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KillHour posted:

This gives me an idea for a listening room on a giant seismologically isolated platform. You know, so the sound of plate tectonics doesn't get in the way of your enjoyment of *reads notes* The Sheffield Track & Drum Record.

Why not the whole distance and hit a triple-isolated floating fully anechoic room? Of course, an acoustically dead room is a bit strange to be in, so the next step is to add a fully three-dimensional wave field synthesis system so that you can accurately recreate any room reverberation time curve of any venue or space you can think of.

It should be possible for somewhere between $500k and $1m, before adding your hifi of choice.

For only $10k extra, I’ll hand carve you a “no wives allowed” sign and integrate a secret code word entry panel for your new man cave.

I need to wait for my physical copy to land but holy crap look at that third study.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Also, meteoric iron cables, for sound that's out of this world!
Look up Alec Steele's video where he tries to forge meteoric iron. It's an absolute bastard to work with because it's so contaminated and takes a *lot* of heating and pounding and heating and pounding until it becomes malleable without cracking.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KozmoNaut posted:

Reverse audiophiles can be fun, too.

Context: This dude was adamant that his speakers have superior clarity and lower distortion than studio monitors costing 100x as much, based on a theory that Chinese manufacturers don't know that low frequency distortion is less audible, so they build their speakers and amps with super low distortion. And that somehow makes them sound better than studio monitors.

These are the speakers in question: https://aliexpress.com/item/4001105186185.html

:lol:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm glad we're applying the Mazda MX-5 angry headlights mod to speakers now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

You just make everything else out of gold

Solid gold speaker cabinets for the discerning oil sheikh.

I'm the bundled $1 buds. Which you can't plug in apparently, no front jack at least.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We're planning a small outdoor wedding next month and I have been given the job of finding a decent quality speaker for music to use with an iPod for some ambience while we eat. Is there a Good Approved speaker that the thread could recommend?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hm, looked around a little not seeing that much in audiophile party speakers. Untapped marked?
Oxygen free copper internal cabling, anti vibration mats to put below the boom box, lead acid batterys for heavier sound?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

To paraphrase B&O's tonemeister on the BeoLab 90, audiophiles are people with one chair and no friends.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

We're planning a small outdoor wedding next month and I have been given the job of finding a decent quality speaker for music to use with an iPod for some ambience while we eat. Is there a Good Approved speaker that the thread could recommend?

If it’s just for one day, find a local PA rental house and take whatever self-powered box they have. Something like a Yamaha DSR112 will be plenty loud and good, albeit not bluetooth. We’ve owned 16 of them for years and they’re one of our most versatile boxes.

quote:

ONLINE LECTURE
Perspectives On Audio: Information vs Data; Fidelity vs Resolution

Tuesday 17th August 2021, 7:00–8:30pm (approx.)
Bob Stuart, MQA

Audio bridges science and engineering with the complexity of the human listener. If we are to close that gap, we need to ask the right questions. This talk begins with a tutorial overview of modern auditory science that is pertinent to fidelity and resolution. It also sketches information flow in the listener giving some surprising estimates. Next, a quick tour through sound reproduction, starting with analogue, shows how a ‘narrow’ approach to digital audio has inadvertently embedded key errors in recordings and playback systems. This is briefly illustrated with seven theories of ‘High-Resolution’ and a consideration of the paradoxes of losslessness and data vs information flow.

When we consider the whole chain from microphone to loudspeaker, and more precisely define objectives for transparency using principles of communication theory, modern sampling theory and current auditory science, we show that a better engineering solution is indeed possible.

J. Robert (Bob) Stuart studied electronic engineering and acoustics at the University of Birmingham and took an M.Sc. in operations research at Imperial College, London. While at Birmingham he studied psychoacoustics under Professor Jack Allison, which began a lifelong fascination with the subject. In 1977 Bob co-founded Meridian Audio and served as CTO until early 2015. In 2014 he founded MQA Ltd where he is currently full-time as Chairman and CTO. At the request of Hiro Negishi and Raymond Cooke, Bob chaired the advocacy group Acoustic Renaissance for Audio between 1994 and 2002. In the 1990s he worked with Michael Gerzon and Peter Craven on lossless compression and was instrumental in its adoption for optical discs.

Bob has contributed to the DVD-Audio and Blu-ray standards and has served on the technical committees of the National Sound Archive, JAS and the ADA (Japan). In 2020 the Royal Academy of Engineering awarded him the Prince Philip Medal for his exceptional contribution to audio engineering. Bob’s professional interests are the furthering of analogue and digital audio and developing understanding of human auditory perception mechanisms relevant to live and recorded music. His specialities include the auditory sciences and the design of analogue and digital electronics, loudspeakers, audio coding and signal processing.

Bob joined AES in 1971, has been a Fellow since 1992, and is a member of ASA, IEEE and the Hearing Group at Cambridge. Bob has a deep interest in music and spends a good deal of time listening to live and recorded material.

This online lecture is organised jointly by the AES UK Section Cambridge Group and IET Cambridge Local Network. It is open to all, but registration will be required here. A link to the Zoom session will be sent to registered participants prior to the talk.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Z9hZtKFLRHG-U7Ng2aKerg

Open registration for anyone interested in hearing the man himself talk about MQA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Stuart Must Be Stopped.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

To paraphrase B&O's tonemeister on the BeoLab 90, audiophiles are people with one chair and no friends.

It's this. Only one person at a time can sit in the perfect listening position. All others are heathens who must be banished to other rooms or dwellings. Shut the door, you'll ruin the resonance!

Remember: those tweeters can only be properly in line with one pair of ears at a time. :eng101:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Remember: those tweeters can only be properly in line with one pair of ears at a time. :eng101:

What if I put another chair in the same place upside down on the ceiling? :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

What if I put another chair in the same place upside down on the ceiling? :colbert:

It will be off centre and the L & R won't work!

At least not without my patent pending solid gold core & palladium plated speaker cables that cost $80000 per metre.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Z9hZtKFLRHG-U7Ng2aKerg

Open registration for anyone interested in hearing the man himself talk about MQA.
I assume anyone who asks an actual question will be kicked off the zoom, "paradoxes of losslessness and data vs information flow" my rear end

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

I assume anyone who asks an actual question will be kicked off the zoom, "paradoxes of losslessness and data vs information flow" my rear end

Unfortunately I don’t think Zoom enables their “high res” function for guests otherwise it would be quite fun to introduce a simulation of the reflected high order harmonics that video found from MQA unfolding into my mic feed.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

DancingShade posted:

I want to build and sell an audio cable that's simply a heavily insulated tube filled with conductive liquid metal (highly prone to leaking if pierced). Ideally something dangerous like mercury.

Slap on some really nice cable sleeving, call it "stellar-grade audio" or something, suitable for use in space missions to the moons of neptune. The liquid metal really smoothes the highs and evens out the mids.

Price? Only available for hard gold bullion. Delivered, no certificates accepted.

They beat you to it.

http://www.teoaudio.com/products/liquid-audio-cables/

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

A new favourite in a sea of gibberish: ‘you might be talking to an ear moron’

http://www.teoaudio.com/technical/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

With a solid conductor, or rather, an alloy or element in a solidus (below melting point) atomic lattice configuration. In such condition, ‘electrical response’ , or electron flow, is restricted to electron orbital ‘co-joined’ pathways in the atomic lattice. This is the situation in what we call ‘DC Flow’ in the given conductor. This relates to named observations like Johnson–Nyquist noise.

It's... it's beautiful.

*wipes tear from eye*

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

DancingShade posted:

It's... it's beautiful.

*wipes tear from eye*

It really is art, like I'm not a materials engineer but I took the intro classes for my engineering degree and this whole page reads like the section submitted by the dumbest person in a group lab report.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Call me a heretic, but wouldn't the "liquid" be affected by gravity, atmospheric pressure and temperature?

Or is the word liquid simply the product name (they also have a liquid pre-amp)?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

spookygonk posted:

Call me a heretic, but wouldn't the "liquid" be affected by gravity, atmospheric pressure and temperature?

Or is the word liquid simply the product name (they also have a liquid pre-amp)?

I'm pretty certain it's just in there filling the gap. If it was relatively well done without any cavities it would be conductive, and gallium anyway which is what I assume makes up the majority of what they use is fairly stable. It's just loving insane and funny and stupid though, also love that they come in pelican cases because it's illegal to ship gallium on a plane as it will decimate aluminum if spilled.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-musics-lossless-and-hi-res-mess-r1022/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if any of these guys have ever heard of Audacity, staring at the HDCD LED on your DAC doesn't seem like a critical analysis.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also it made the MQA icon light up (briefly) despite Apple using their own lossless codec. I was waiting for audiophiles to say the lossless streaming they don't have to pay extra for isn't actually true lossless because gotta justify to yourself that $30 Qobuz subscription.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

qirex posted:

I wonder if any of these guys have ever heard of Audacity, staring at the HDCD LED on your DAC doesn't seem like a critical analysis.

It is legitimately wild how someone who ostensibly is critical enough to require absolutely lossless audio is also satisfied with "LED go bright mean good." Especially when that LED is linked to a marker from a dead, proprietary format that had like 100 titles released. (I know it's more but whatever).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's nothing an audiophile loves more than a dead format, the less convenient the better [see the recent interest in reel to reel]. I'm personally looking forward to people complaining about stuff not supporting MQA in the future.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

There's nothing an audiophile loves more than a dead format, the less convenient the better [see the recent interest in reel to reel]. I'm personally looking forward to people complaining about stuff not supporting MQA in the future.

Wouldn't not supporting it just make it more inconvenient and therefore better?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes but if there's anything rich old men love more than pissing away money it's complaining.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

There's nothing an audiophile loves more than a dead format, the less convenient the better [see the recent interest in reel to reel].

This is spot-on. I keep equipment for playing obsolete formats because I do a lot of work transferring old recordings; my clients need me to have a working DAT deck, a working Minidisc deck, a working R2R, etc. But on my own time you couldn't pay me to use any of those. I've never quite figured out why people cling to them, but I think it's a combination of "you casual listeners wouldn't understand" snobbery and the belief that because a technology wasn't picked up by the mainstream it must mean that it's superior in some way. FFS, there are dudes who are into the Elcaset and are seriously recording music onto and listening to that format.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd use the Minidisc because it's cool. I enjoyed the This Does Not Compute video about it bringing up that audiophiles hated the Minidisc because it wasn't high res enough.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's basically "I liked them before they got famous" but afterwards instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I loved using MD for snowboarding after the smartphone era began because the AA battery was easy to source for power and you didn't care if it broke :shrug: