Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mode 7 posted:

I really enjoyed the fake Japanese adventure/horror game, little touches in there like the heartbeat meter felt great.
Half-fake! It's a fake spinoff of a real series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Walla posted:

I'd hate to be famous. Could you imagine? Any time you left the house you'd have to stop and talk to anyone who recognizes you and take pictures and give autographs and kiss babies or be branded with a bad reputation. Multiply that pressure by maybe 100 if you're female. And gently caress dealing with the paparazzi.

I'll take rich, but fame is a suckers bet.

Also, I'm not always depressed. Maybe. Most of my issues involve money and trying to support my family on the meager amount I make, especially since the State of Maryland has decided that a hair over $20,000 is too much for SNAP benefits for a family of 3 and I actually feed 6 people plus my other expenses. But I'm actually pretty happy when I go to sleep most nights.

Due to a combination of my work and just living in London, I've crossed paths with people at varying levels of fame (or people who are in the orbit of the very very famous), and it sounds like it sucks. It doesn't help that nearly all celebrity worship is based around people in the performing arts, many of whom do what they do because they have a slightly broken need to be adored by everyone, so it just creates a really toxic and parasocial situation that changes people for whom the concept of fame is already this big dangerous drug. But even for those people it ultimately sucks, they lose a part of themselves, and they lose control over their anonymity.

I can't imagine what it must be like to walk into any room, in public or in private, and have everyone jostle about and whisper to each other in a 'look who just turned up' kind of way.

And then you have all the people who aren't on stage due to crippling personality disorders, and just love the craft of acting/performing/making art, and then won some cosmic lottery where suddenly they're propelled to stardom. And that must really suck because your reward for honing your craft is not only giving up your right to an autonomous and anonymous private life, but having the world constantly tell you you should be grateful because it's what you wanted, or that they are somehow fuelling your fame by watching your every move.

I'm convinced that the best place to be in any art form is right in the middle. Not only is where all the interesting, fun, niche stuff happens, but your work will be celebrated by people who are really into that scene (an audience that will include many of those who are way in the upper echelons of super stardom), but you'll get to eke out a living and make a cultural contribution while still maintaining a huge degree of personal anonymity. And you won't be seen as a valuable enough commodity by the dark forces of capitalism where you'd otherwise be pressured into losing all your integrity in a million different ways.

I don't know how this relates to games. I guess indie games are the last true games left? Idk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk I can’t find any room in my heart for the rich and famous, if they’re sad I’m actually ok with that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nier Replicant is full of absolutely hilarious black comedy and my favorite moment is something I never see anyone talk about. Spoilers for the first three hours of the game, Junkyard dungeon

Not gonna lie, a decent chunk of Replicant’s black comedy doesn’t land for me cause part of the joke is often at least partly that kind of thing where they make fun of how tedious/repetitive/grindy the game can get, which feels a lot less smug than other kinds of self-referential humor but still falls flat because I’m not having fun.

Like, for instance, there’s the very repetitive side quest that has you track down the one kid who ran away from home which takes you through the whole world tracking him down and then the twist is that his family were thieves who skipped town, you hosed up you dumbshit kid, no reward. Most rewards are pretty lame in Replicant anyway since you can just plant rice for money and most weapons suck compared to the one sword you can buy halfway through part 1 so it’s not even annoying to not get anything, but if they had cut out one sequence of bullshit it would have been hilarious cause one sequence ago my patience wasn’t already beyond spent.

Automata works better IMO cause it’s just really, really amazingly stupid on top of being funner to engage with, like the one sidequests where you help stage a peaceful protest by killing all the robots opposed to the peace parade.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chev posted:

Half-fake! It's a fake spinoff of a real series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Syndrome

Oh drat, that’s awesome! It’s a shame they’ve never been localised, I’ll have to go digging and see if any of them got fan translations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What is up nerds, it is too nice a day to be playing videogames so I'm sitting in the garden reading masters of doom and when I've had enough of that I'm gonna finish getting my warlock to level 20 and deciding if i really want to resub to wow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What is up nerds, it is too nice a day to be playing videogames

That's the most insane statement i've ever heard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/yuji-naka-confirms-square-enix-departure-reports-and-says-he-might-retire/

Yuji Naka confirms that he's left Square and suggests that he might retire.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the most insane statement i've ever heard

Insanely hosed, nice days are why God made handheld systems and indie games to play on busted old laptops

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Naka retiring after Balan Wonderland makes sense. I hope he enjoys his retirement

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Last Celebration posted:

Insanely hosed, nice days are why God made handheld systems and indie games to play on busted old laptops

I could have been tempted by some outdoor switch but my micro sd card has mysteriously stopped working :cry:

Oh well at least I've never had a joystick drift

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Took a walk outside and now my eyes hurt and I have a headache, presumably from pollen or something.

Gonna finish up FFXIV Stormblood instead.

I am currently lvl 69

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/_XboxNews/status/1401109568910991362?s=20

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

gently caress the cicadas are loud today. Who wants to be outside with this poo poo?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna lol if Switch is the only thing it doesn't end up on

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Walla posted:

gently caress the cicadas are loud today. Who wants to be outside with this poo poo?

No one, that's the point. They waited 17 years in the dirt to gently caress, the least we can do is give them some privacy.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Now Atlus is just trolling us.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeXReX posted:

No one, that's the point. They waited 17 years in the dirt to gently caress, the least we can do is give them some privacy.

Not in my back yard. Assholes.

At least there seem to be fewer mosquitoes this year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walla posted:

My deck is a graveyard

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Danganronpa 2 End of Chapter 3 spoilers

NEKOMARU NIDAI IS A loving ROBOT I LOVE THIS DUMB SERIES SO MUCH

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What is up nerds, it is too nice a day to be playing videogames so I'm sitting in the garden reading masters of doom and when I've had enough of that I'm gonna finish getting my warlock to level 20 and deciding if i really want to resub to wow

there's two kinds of days: days to stay inside and play games and days to go outside and play boktai

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rip Boktai, unplayable in the UK

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Never heard of Boktai. Looking it up I might be able to emulate Lunar Knights, but I'm not sure about the GBA games. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing anyway.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

What’d it say

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Persona 5 R coming to Xbox and PC (leak)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm sat out in my back garden under my retractable awning playing mtg arena on my phone. Yesterday we went to a gin distillery tour in the surrey hills and it pissed it down with rain the while time :/

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Leaked the same day as breath of the wild coming to xbone

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Walla posted:

Never heard of Boktai. Looking it up I might be able to emulate Lunar Knights, but I'm not sure about the GBA games. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing anyway.

there's emulators that can emulate the sun level for boktai and the first one at least is v good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

there's emulators that can emulate the sun level for boktai and the first one at least is v good

[into earpiece] we got her

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only thing you're going to get is a cauliflower ear

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Boktai is an incredibly good game and is basically a weird evolution offshoot of hideo kojima's 2D metal gear games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

glad theyre making a new read only memories so we can get more woke progressive games made by abusive shitheads

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Boba Pearl posted:

Not me though, I am a whirlwind of emotions, a constant spinning top of mania and apathy, ready to destroy everything near and dear to me in a moment's notice.

and an oversharer

and I really like attention.

Big same

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4lyOH1_0o

you think youre ready for everything that happens in these 91 seconds, but youre not

this includes thinking youre ready for the remainder of the seconds as each subsequent one passes

Violen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 5, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm in the Gundam Maxiboost Evo side tournament :toot:

Going to get turbo owned lmao

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Violen posted:

you think youre ready for everything that happens in these 91 seconds, but youre not

what the gently caress

i'm excited for this madness, i love the fact that indie devs are leaping to make pokemon games that are actually good and interesting.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Pikachu, I need more power for my GPU!! *whip*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what the gently caress

i'm excited for this madness, i love the fact that indie devs are leaping to make pokemon games that are actually good and interesting.

You may want to temper your excitement based on the devs' track record

lih posted:

their previous game, craftopia, was a similarly bizarre mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOXW2YQ_Q4

it's in early access and is playable with a nonsensical amount of systems thrown together but all extremely janky & broken even by janky early access survival game standards & the trailer is kinda misleading (implies giant open world but actually there's just a limited set of relatively small maps etc.) and i guess since they're already making a new game they have no intention of ever really polishing anything lol

i expect palworld will be a similar deal where it launches in early access and kind of does what the trailer promises to do but in a very broken way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Regy Rusty posted:

You may want to temper your excitement based on the devs' track record

lol well i applaud the effort anyway

what happened to that temtem game