Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think soy milk is my favorite buff, and I'm not even real sure what they did to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah soy milk and tech. 2 were items that i wanted to like but they were dps downgrades. i’m really glad they both got buffed

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

PostNouveau posted:

I think soy milk is my favorite buff, and I'm not even real sure what they did to it

They greatly reduced the knockback on soy tears and changed how the tear formula works so you can get significantly more tears than the old tear delay method allowed.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Wiz is kinda-good/not-that-bad with Tainted Forgotten since it gives your uncharged club attack a bit more AOE.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Einwand posted:

They greatly reduced the knockback on soy tears and changed how the tear formula works so you can get significantly more tears than the old tear delay method allowed.

To elaborate, the old tear cap was 15 tears per second. It can now go up to 120. Though you're only hitting that with Kidney Stone shenanigans and more realistically Soy Milk's tear cap will be 27.5 without any other special fire rate items. (i.e. Mom's Perfume and Capricorn.)

watho posted:

yeah soy milk and tech. 2 were items that i wanted to like but they were dps downgrades. i’m really glad they both got buffed

I really liked the high fire rate items in theory, so seeing those 2 get major buffs was great.

Also Eve's Mascara going from a straight downgrade unless you had Mom's Knife or some other build that only cared about damage and not tears and shot speed, to an actual DPS upgrade was really nice to see cause the original design of that item drove me nuts. There was so little incentive to take it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

watho posted:

should also remove damocles, glass canon, blood oath, hemotemasis and so on then
Yeah Repentence did also introduce some awful items. Glass Cannon has always sucked but you can at least swap away from it. Hemotemasis is a one-off effect (that is part of the inherent risk of using pills) rather than a permanent and irreversible game-ruiner.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fun fact: above 30 tears the tears you fire goes from a double line to an expanding cone as the game struggles to spew out the number of tears you're actually capable of firing.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Going through the lost unlocks for the first time and got delirium done. So glad I unlocked blanket the same day I unlocked lost.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah Repentence did also introduce some awful items. Glass Cannon has always sucked but you can at least swap away from it. Hemotemasis is a one-off effect (that is part of the inherent risk of using pills) rather than a permanent and irreversible game-ruiner.

Glass Cannon doesn't remove health when you fire it anymore (instead you take two hearts of damage when you get hit holding it and it breaks for a few rooms), and it's actually an item you could use now.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's really good on the Lost

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

flatluigi posted:

curse of the tower just makes me wish more pyromaniac items were in the game + i feel it sucking is because it's a 'curse' item, just like how cursed eye hurts

Black Candle should at least make them into special troll bombs that don't hurt you, I was surprised there's no interaction with it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Repentance Glass Cannon is a run-winner now; what are you talking about??? Probably one of my favorite reworks of the whole expansion and thematically fits the item a lot better

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I dunno where the hate comes for Glass Cannon. Even without help it can hard carry you through poo poo and the second you get a mobility boost- especially flight- then it's just a free pass to the superboss of your choice.

I mean, it sucks in the superboss fights right now besides the Beast, but hopefully maybe someday we'll get the patches unbreaking Hush and Delerium.

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a good reason why half the new SFX are absurdly, devastatingly loud? Stuff like Bumbino, Hush's roars, pill/card effects, etc. play at 10x the volume of all the other sound effects, even at maximum. I nearly had a heart attack when I was playing on what I thought was mute and the announcer man screams SHOT SPEED UP at infinity decibels and destroyed my ears :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Shard of glass is a good item that I’ll defend as long as you’re going for a red health build. The extra damage is immense, and you become pretty likely to drop a heart any time you take damage including from the bleeding. It really really shouldn’t be in the pool for Tainted Eden, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is there a good reason why half the new SFX are absurdly, devastatingly loud? Stuff like Bumbino, Hush's roars, pill/card effects, etc. play at 10x the volume of all the other sound effects, even at maximum. I nearly had a heart attack when I was playing on what I thought was mute and the announcer man screams SHOT SPEED UP at infinity decibels and destroyed my ears :(
Sounds like a bug - they’re normal volume for me.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Augus posted:

are u guys ok

For sure, I actually looove this game, I did 3x100% save files in Afterbirth, but I kinda feel like Edmund wants us to hate him and the game occasionally, so I oblige :P

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

Black Candle should at least make them into special troll bombs that don't hurt you, I was surprised there's no interaction with it
It would be hilarious if Black Candle just turned them into Golden Troll Bombs. I mean, more explosions means more chances for enemies to get damaged :v:

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 5, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tainted Jacob sucks and I loathe him. He's gonna make me quit.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GrandmaParty posted:

Tainted Jacob sucks and I loathe him. He's gonna make me quit.

...quit right as Esau dies and then continue, to not deal with being the lost? OK!

Had a fun T.Maggy run with spindown dice. Got blood bag, thin odd mushroom and nancy bombs brimstone, brimstone and rock bottom. It's a little sad that I think double brimstone is never happening again.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Speaking of Curse of the tower I had a green mode run with samson with that angel room crucifix item that drains your red health when you start a floor.

Turns out if you take like 6 hearst worth of damage at the same time it just queues multiple curse of the tower bomb spawns. I though I'd broken something when they just kept on spawning in lol.

Thankfully leaving the room stopped it from happening

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, I dunno where the hate comes for Glass Cannon. Even without help it can hard carry you through poo poo and the second you get a mobility boost- especially flight- then it's just a free pass to the superboss of your choice.

I mean, it sucks in the superboss fights right now besides the Beast, but hopefully maybe someday we'll get the patches unbreaking Hush and Delerium.

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.
If an item lets you do easy stuff faster but is a huge liability for anything hard then I regard it as a bad item. I know it's been reworked but to me it's basically the same item as before - something I only use as The Lost. But as I said it's less bad than Shard of Glass or Damocles because you can at least hope you get a chance to swap away from it before the superbosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

If an item lets you do easy stuff faster but is a huge liability for anything hard then I regard it as a bad item. I know it's been reworked but to me it's basically the same item as before - something I only use as The Lost. But as I said it's less bad than Shard of Glass or Damocles because you can at least hope you get a chance to swap away from it before the superbosses.

I just Googled damocles and lol that's a really lame sounding item

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's really strong though. I'd take it 100% of the time with the Lost or any extra lives

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

Any day now.

Aaaaaaany day now.

Glass Cannon will probably be great when I'm done going for unlocks and can just aim for The Lamb or ???, but it stinks against anything with boss armor so for now I'm not taking it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ignoring The Lost for a moment, if you can avoid getting hit at all in a fight is it really a fight you needed help with? The fact that you completely lose any benefit from the item while still having its horrific downside after getting hit just makes it unbelievably bad to me. The only difference is it's now an item you should never pick up rather than an item you should never use.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

my problem is with stuff like Godhead, it's already an item I'll see once every hundred runs if I'm lucky, especially with all the crap in the pools now, just loving leave it alone and let it be a huge score

none of this matters anyways because mods can revert everything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ignoring The Lost for a moment, if you can avoid getting hit at all in a fight is it really a fight you needed help with?

the best defense is a good offense

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So I’m trying to mop up the last of the completion marks on Switch before repentance comes out and I’m trying to figure out what gamebreak combo I stumbled into.

I started a hard run with Eden who had a D4. Said “gently caress it” and just kept re-rolling every time I could. In caves 2, I realized a dark beggar didn’t take any life, and then a blood donation machine didn’t either. I then got an IV bag and could just mash it infinitely to feed my bum and key bum forever so nothing mattered anymore as I gulped down nearly every trinket and quickly became a god spawning a million flies and keys and hearts just by mashing the active button.

What combo of items did I reroll into to cause that?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ignoring The Lost for a moment, if you can avoid getting hit at all in a fight is it really a fight you needed help with? The fact that you completely lose any benefit from the item while still having its horrific downside after getting hit just makes it unbelievably bad to me. The only difference is it's now an item you should never pick up rather than an item you should never use.

you don’t realize how an item that deals at least 10x your damage every few seconds can help you not take damage? or how that upside can be worth the downside of taking 2 extra damage the first time you get hit?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kaboobi posted:

So I’m trying to mop up the last of the completion marks on Switch before repentance comes out and I’m trying to figure out what gamebreak combo I stumbled into.

I started a hard run with Eden who had a D4. Said “gently caress it” and just kept re-rolling every time I could. In caves 2, I realized a dark beggar didn’t take any life, and then a blood donation machine didn’t either. I then got an IV bag and could just mash it infinitely to feed my bum and key bum forever so nothing mattered anymore as I gulped down nearly every trinket and quickly became a god spawning a million flies and keys and hearts just by mashing the active button.

What combo of items did I reroll into to cause that?

the only item I can think of pre-Repentance that could cause that is Isaac's Heart, which made dark bum/blood banks free to use.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Augus posted:

the best defense is a good offense

yeah this. you snowball so hard with damocles that after a while you probably aren't getting hit by anything if you pick it up early

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Book of Virtues + Urn of Souls is stupid as hell and I love it

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Evil Kit posted:

the only item I can think of pre-Repentance that could cause that is Isaac's Heart, which made dark bum/blood banks free to use.

Nope, didn’t have that either. I could take damage from bombs and enemies, just not the stuff that cost hearts. I’m baffled.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Damocles has become a must take after I watched a youtube vid about the item and noticed that it sometimes took hours before the sword fell. The chance is so stupid small that even without extra lives, it's a great pick

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Damocles is probably pretty strong on average but "You unavoidably die, randomly" is an absolutely horrible design for an item.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kaboobi posted:

Nope, didn’t have that either. I could take damage from bombs and enemies, just not the stuff that cost hearts. I’m baffled.

:shrug: pre-Rep Isaac's Heart is the only item I can think of that could do that. Maybe it was a transformation of some variety?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

It's not a 'huge liability.' You take two extra damage once during the fight and it's only really bad in Hush/Delirium because they're bugged as gently caress and it's impossible to hang onto the glass cannon intact reliably because sometimes they just go 'lol' and slap you without chance to avoid it.

Meanwhile, it trivializes the rest of the run- turning challenging combat rooms into jokes and blowing up a vast majority of boss fights- and if your run is ending at any other terminus it's still likely to be your strongest item as long as have any ability to avoid hits. 'If you can dodge why do you need damage' is the a limp noodle defense because greatly cutting down the amount of time you have to dodge because you've got a massive fuckoff cannon means less time you might gently caress it up. Even with it's drawback I take way less damage over the course of a Glass Cannon run then I do if I had the same run without it because poo poo's dead before 'just dodge lol' starts to become an issue. I have lost runs to it- Glass Cannon still likes a health buffer to work with and any run that never gets past three hearts becomes massively sweaty as it keeps going- but I've won plenty of runs primarily off of it, which isn't something bad items can say. It's risky, and if you hate risk then sure, skip it, but it's also very, very strong at what it does.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Damocles is probably pretty strong on average but "You unavoidably die, randomly" is an absolutely horrible design for an item.

Yeah, Vanishing Twin is a way better way to implement a similar effect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

counterpoint: it’s silly and silly items are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn, kickstarter hit 4 million in 6 days

Also

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1401283441207832581?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1401282898058117123?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1401282483325267968?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1401281810080747520?s=20
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1401281236069277696?s=20