Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The author is involved in the production which should hopefully keep that from happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wow they made the Adventure Zone show real fuckin quickly

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Isn't his name Drake Campana now, or was that just for Twitter? He inexplicably started to become popular in Mexico so he changed his name.

And his real name is Jared.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 5, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The shorter seasons for Lucifer really helped it out. S3 was the longest and it really dragged.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

This was originally going to be a TV series on TNT but it looks like that option has expired. If the movies end up actually happening it will be kind of a big deal because this is a big sprawling fantasy epic where almost every character is a poc. There's like literally one white guy in the entire series.

Anyone here read these? Are they good?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

mythic quest did this season’s flashback episode and gently caress it’s so good. season 2 has been such a step up man, and 1 was already great

How in the hell did this become one of the best shows airing? What an amazing episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan and reread the entire trilogy like once a year. Each book in the series won the Hugo for best novel for the year they were released which was kind of unprecedented. The book follows a middle aged woman named Essun who sets out after her husband after he murders their infant son and kidnaps their pre-teen daughter after he discovers that Essun and the children are "Orogenes" a hated group that has the ability to control and redirect kinetic energy. Its all set against a massive disaster where a supervolcano has opened up in the middle of the continent bringing a darkness that will last thousands of years.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

This was originally going to be a TV series on TNT but it looks like that option has expired.

Speaking of TNT. Season 5 of Animal Kingdom drops next month.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1EU-zNYPzU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So how is Animal Kingdom? I'm pretty sure I saw the first couple episodes and meant to revisit it but never did. I had no idea it was 5 seasons deep.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

And I thought being in the Red Dawn remake was bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I bounced off it hard when the prologue just refused to tell a straight story. More power to ppl that like it tho

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

So how is Animal Kingdom? I'm pretty sure I saw the first couple episodes and meant to revisit it but never did. I had no idea it was 5 seasons deep.

Look, it's not the next coming of the Sopranos, but I really enjoy it. The guy the that plays the Ben Mendelsohn equivilant is really compelling, as is the Ellen Barkin character (playing the Jacki Weaver Matriarch role). I quite enjoy the world they've created and the beachside setting. The heists are also fun. It's basically, "Point Break the TV series".

It will be interesting to see what they do with the upcoming season since they've now killed off the Barkin character

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nate fisher posted:

How in the hell did this become one of the best shows airing? What an amazing episode.

I mean, if you look at the writing team in a vacuum, you could almost assume this. it's being helmed by Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day and Megan Ganz, with Ashly Burch as a staff writer (I guess she has the most experience with the video game scene.) And you can clearly tell, that the cast enjoys each others company.

I do wonder, if Charlie deigns to show up on screen at some point.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hakkesshu posted:

They are very good, though I remember the protagonist being very unlikeable at first. It's probably something they wil want to change for the movies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone watch Sweet Tooth and tell me if it’s any good please

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Escobarbarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo1a4QUqcqA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Animal Kingdom the movie is such a tight and suspeneful thriller Im just blown away that there's a show that spun that into 5 seasons. I mean, how long can you extend the whole idea of a son plotting to bringing down his family? Seriously, Im curious.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm halfway through, it's good so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FX has given a slate of premier dates

Y: The Last Man - Sept 13th
What We Do in the Shadows - Sept 2
American Horror Story - Aug 25th
American Horror Stories - July 15th
Archer - Aug 25th (it appears Jessica Walter was able to conclude recording before her death)
Reservation Dogs - July 15th

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Escobarbarian posted:

mythic quest did this season’s flashback episode and gently caress it’s so good. season 2 has been such a step up man, and 1 was already great

Bighead was an inspired casting choice

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

They're very good, yes.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It's really good and I hope that given it shoots in New Zealand they'll be working on s2 asap to get ahead of child actor aging. Expect some odd puppet stuff (think Caddyshack) and CGI.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only thing I don't like about Sweet Tooth is the narrator, it feels like he belongs on a completely different show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you friends. I will give it a try and see how I feel.

The second and final season of Feel Good (one of those shows nobody watched except for me) hit Netflix and the characters are less awful but it’s also not quite as funny. Still very worth watching.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
one nice thing I'm finding about watching Monk again years later: no regrets about skipping through some of the unnecessarily long bits of cringe

like the 3 minute long song performed by Willie Nelson where he refuses to play the clarinet because the other guy touched it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

FX has given a slate of premier dates

Y: The Last Man - Sept 13th
What We Do in the Shadows - Sept 2
American Horror Story - Aug 25th
American Horror Stories - July 15th
Archer - Aug 25th (it appears Jessica Walter was able to conclude recording before her death)
Reservation Dogs - July 15th

When is Atlanta dropping fuckers!?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Binged Sweet Tooth today. Definitely moments of bad writing and some iffy characters, but overall it landed the big emotional stuff and feels very potent because of the state of the world right now. Very fine acting, especially from the guy playing Jepperd. Definitely a recommend. I was a fan of the comic in college, and this definitely feels like an adaption in the best way. Familiar, but doing its own (successful) thing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The Mosquito Coast on Apple+ is the most frustrating viewing experience I've had in some time. Imagine writing a show about supposedly savvy family of dissidents in hiding from the American government, then making them absolute loving idiots except for their father, who is stupid and a giant rear end in a top hat. Populate the world with knock-off Breaking Bad villains and write your plucky heroes out of certain death over and over through luck and happenstance. Nothing is earned. Nobody grows. Just Dunning Kruger Forrest Gump and his dumbass family spending eight hours to get where the movie they're remaking got by the end of the opening titles.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Of course I'll keep watching that garbage

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Animal Kingdom the movie is such a tight and suspeneful thriller Im just blown away that there's a show that spun that into 5 seasons. I mean, how long can you extend the whole idea of a son plotting to bringing down his family? Seriously, Im curious.

They just keep introducing elements to make J not want to turn on his family:
-He has to spend a lot longer "proving" himself at the beginning of the show.
-He has a soft spot for 1 or 2 of the brothers so stays involved to help them out.
-Then he has to snitch for the cops but that makes him want to side with the family
-Instead of girlfriend being killed straight away, her dad is a way in for one of their heists so the family make him groom her to get info, she falls in love with the lifestyle unaware that J is the only thing preventing her from being killed
-J takes a less scorched earth approach to getting revenge and decides to take the whole thing down from the inside. He cosies up to Smurf to learn the ins and outs of the business, becoming the favourite son and making the other brothers jealous
-There are various storylines that pit the brothers off against each other (one of them gets killed) and J sides with different ones at times to make things right.
-There is usually one big "heist" each season with a whole bunch of mini-jobs needing to be done in the lead up, various complications happen as a result.
-They'll introduce things like a rival gang, forcing J to work with the Cody's out of the necessity of not wanting to get killed by the rival gang.
-The boys finally turned on Smurf (she was super manipulative and always hamstrung their abiliy for them to do jobs without her) but she got herself killed (she was termally ill anyway), so the upcoming season is going to be all about the brothers needing to work together but secretly trying to be the power broker within the group.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Shageletic posted:

Never heard of it before this post but I'm gonna watch the movie tonight since it sounds Good. Thanks :thumbsup:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You haven't heard of it because Australian movies aren't good and any talented australians get out of there ASAP like Ben Mendelsohn

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How dare you say we're out of ideas?

*greenlights lovely 36 hour remakes of lovely 3 hour movies*

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mu Zeta posted:

You haven't heard of it because Australian movies aren't good and any talented australians get out of there ASAP like Ben Mendelsohn

Hmm. Are you saying the movie is Not Good? my time is obviously very valuable so I need to know

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But Russian movies are good

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Aardvark! posted:

Hmm. Are you saying the movie is Not Good? my time is obviously very valuable so I need to know

Yes it's good. It produced by Nash Edgerton and the rest of the Blue Tongue guys so if you like Mr. Inbetween it's virtually the same.

It even has said actor Ben Mendelsohn (who had been acting for nearly 30 years at this point so didn't get out of there "ASAP" at all)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Mosquito Coast on Apple+ is the most frustrating viewing experience I've had in some time. Imagine writing a show about supposedly savvy family of dissidents in hiding from the American government, then making them absolute loving idiots except for their father, who is stupid and a giant rear end in a top hat. Populate the world with knock-off Breaking Bad villains and write your plucky heroes out of certain death over and over through luck and happenstance. Nothing is earned. Nobody grows. Just Dunning Kruger Forrest Gump and his dumbass family spending eight hours to get where the movie they're remaking got by the end of the opening titles.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Of course I'll keep watching that garbage

same :saddowns:

I was really expecting better. The are seemingly adept at escaping bad situations - but absolutely clueless as how to avoid them.

The kid network was sort of cool, though. Maybe they should have a show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Decided to start a slow roll rewatch of "Malcolm in the Middle" which I still think if one of the more underrated sitcoms of the early '00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yea. MiTM and NewsRadio are two shows I never get tired of watching and are my go-tos if I'm not in the mood for anything else but need something on