Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Tiny Tina, aka the worst character in video games, is one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
She’s the one with the bunny ears.

Looks like no Mordecai though, or his cool bird. Between that and Eli Roth this is going to be trash.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Digitally recreating Carrie Fisher or Mark Hammill isn’t the same as creating them from whole cloth. We already know how people react to invented characters because cartoons have existed for like a century. They already digitally recreated Ewan McGregor and it was a popular cartoon but did not actually lead to Ewan McGregor being replaced with the cartoon version of Ewan McGregor in all future movies.

I’m sure Star Wars will continue to trade on tacky nostalgia however they can but that doesn’t mean that in twenty years every movie is going to be populated with CG actors and all the future Hot Chrises are going to be panhandling. The faking will never be indistinguishable because we can’t recreate a person digitally and we certainly can’t manifest them in the real world. A person isn’t just their likeness or their voice.

Also, like, why western creative culture specifically? Do you think they don’t have computers in Central or east Asia? Or that they don’t have celebrity actors?

I’m kind of excited about new Peter Cushing/ Christopher Lee team-up exploitation horror now that Lucasfilm probably has digital models of both of them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
When I was a kid, there was talk of digitally resurrecting Bruce Lee for a new film, I think it was just after the success of Dragon. It was, rightfully, shot down, but it was only a matter of time.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo... the video game???

What a weird coincidence. The other day Youtube suggested a video compilation of all the footage of the cancelled 'Taxi Driver' game from a few years back. It was a period where a bunch of terrible video game adaptations were in development, including Heat, Reservoir Dogs (that one actually came out) Dirty Harry and a few others. I like that it hasn't quite gone away.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Part of what makes Hollywood stars stars is that they are people outside of movies. People tune in to watch them on late night shows and follow them on Instagram. They get more attached to the person that any particular character. Will Smith or Tom Cruise or Jennifer Lawrence never completely disappear into their roles...you’re always aware that you’re watching a specific person with specific quirks and traits that you’ve seen over and over in many different movies. That’s part of their appeal.

Weebs are already forging parasocial relationships with entirely fictitious anime characters on twitch. I could see less cringey versions of that making the jump to the mainstream in 10 years or so.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

What a weird coincidence. The other day Youtube suggested a video compilation of all the footage of the cancelled 'Taxi Driver' game from a few years back. It was a period where a bunch of terrible video game adaptations were in development, including Heat, Reservoir Dogs (that one actually came out) Dirty Harry and a few others. I like that it hasn't quite gone away.

There was also a Seven Samurai game 'sequel, 'reimagining', 'thing'. It wasn't good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ufErakpOs

The best of the PS2 movie adaptation games was probably The Godfather and Scarface.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 6, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

When I was a kid, there was talk of digitally resurrecting Bruce Lee for a new film, I think it was just after the success of Dragon. It was, rightfully, shot down, but it was only a matter of time.

After Bruce died, there were plenty of Bruce-sploitation movies in China and HK where they cast lookalikes of him in some Asylum-level movies. Now they can do it in digital!

Speaking of games, The Godfather had two games by EA. The first was an action/stealth game where you play a character who exists just outisde the narrative of the movie. One of the missions was decapitating the horse. The second one was also partly a management game, like a SimMafia.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m kinda surprised there hasn’t been a fan-made deepfake to properly finish Game of Death.

And speaking of grossly done recreations of dead actors, the actual released version of Game of Death is a masterclass in bad taste.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AVGN made a video about Game of Death several years ago. The actual movie that ended up getting released used badly superimposed still frames of Lee’s face, and footage of his funeral, alongside what had already been shot. Pretty ghoulish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

AVGN made a video about Game of Death several years ago. The actual movie that ended up getting released used badly superimposed still frames of Lee’s face, and footage of his funeral, alongside what had already been shot. Pretty ghoulish.

Yeah, it’s disgusting. There’s also a whole new subplot tacked on about the actual Lee’s character faking his own death and requiring facial reconstruction after an assassination attempt, all to explain away the lookalike/stand-in’s appearance in the new scenes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The American Brucesploitation movie No Retreat, No Surrender has a scene with Bruce Lee's real grave in it, which is definitely gross.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

Something else to consider are the Muppets. How many actors have played Kermit, now?

Or say, Superman, Batman, pretty much any animated character...

Anyone else remember S1mOne?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
If weebs can be avid followers of the “career” of an anime girl in a shark hoodie who plays old NES games then as soon as the tech is good enough celebrity followers are going to follow the “careers” of deepfake actors who will have scripted “real” lives outside of being “actors” in movies. Reality TV already proved it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

After Bruce died, there were plenty of Bruce-sploitation movies in China and HK where they cast lookalikes of him in some Asylum-level movies. Now they can do it in digital!

This became almost an entire industry and there are plenty of films with fake Bruces, both from film companies overseas or American distributors dubbing random films to be Bruce Lee films. Actors had their billing changed to names like Bruce Le, Bruce Li, Bruce Lai, and Dragon Lee. Even Jackie Chan did a Bruce Lee "sequel". Some of the best (as in most gonzo) ones are:

Bruce Lee in New Guinea - Bruce Li here plays a guy who goes to Snake Worship Island and gets caught up in sorcerers and pretty ladies and martial art fights. And lots and lots of snakes! There is a princess with a kung fu gorilla body guard who gets knocked up by Bruce so later he must save the baby from a snake curse. There are two versions of this film, I first saw it on vhs which was uncut and full of naked women, but the version that was in all the cheap DVD sets had alternate scenes where everyone was wearing clothes like some sort of prudes. Some of the dvd releases have those scenes as special features but they are obviously sourced from a VHS tape, I don't know if the original naughty version still exists.

The Clones of Bruce Lee - Who wants one Bruce Lee when you can have three! Bruce Lee died so they clones him in triplicate and are sending the clones on secret missions. Who cares if the clones look nothing like Bruce Lee or each other? Of course they fight each other for fun too. There are gold painted baddies and lots of naked women. This film I had 4 different versions of between cheap DVDs and an uncut VHS version with burnt in subs, but some fools when and remastered it so now it will live forever.

Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave - This was a Korean martial arts film that American distributors added a scene in the beginning where lightning strikes a grave and Bruce Lee leaps out! The rest of the film has nothing to do with that.

The Dragon Lives Again - Bruce Lee is dead and in Hell, where he meets Popeye, the One Armed Swordsman, and the guy from the Kung Fu tv show. Together, they team up to take down a gang in Hell that is made up of James Bond, Clint Eastwood (in Man with No Name guise), Emmauelle, Dracula, and The Godfather. Later Bruce then beats up the King of Hell because he's Bruce Lee and that's what he can do.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Justin Lin made a comedy about the studio trying to recast Bruce in 2007 called Finishing the Game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Dragon Lives Again - Bruce Lee is dead and in Hell, where he meets Popeye, the One Armed Swordsman, and the guy from the Kung Fu tv show. Together, they team up to take down a gang in Hell that is made up of James Bond, Clint Eastwood (in Man with No Name guise), Emmauelle, Dracula, and The Godfather. Later Bruce then beats up the King of Hell because he's Bruce Lee and that's what he can do.

I was about to say that it's practically a fighting game tradition to have a barely legally distinct Bruce Lee character, and then I got to that and it sounds like an amazing Mortal Kombat knockoff.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Casimir Radon posted:

World cinema has more examples of this as well. Mitr Chaibancha was THE star of 1960s Thailand, he and Petchara Chaowarat were box office gold to the point where there were rumors they were kidnapped off of movie shoots to make other movies. Mitr Chaibancha was on the cusp of becoming a pan-Asia star with his Red Eagle series of movies, films about a masked hero who fights criminals. The fifth film in the series he directed himself, it was called Insee Thong (Golden Eagle) and it featured way higher production values and action sequences. Another guy was dressing up as Red Eagle and being bad, so Red Eagle became...Golden Eagle, and beat everyone up! Everything was going swell, Chaibancha just had to film the final stunt of the movie, where his character rides off into the sunset hanging from a helicopter. Except he slipped and fell to his death. Rumors say that there are prints that show him actually falling to his death at the end of the movie, but it is not on the versions I or other Thai pulp cinema fans have seen. What the DVDs do feature is funeral footage of Chaibancha's funeral, including them lifting his body so he can see out the window at the thousands of mourning fans outside.

As an aside, thanks to Thailand cinema not having synch sound at this time, there was also an industry of people who would take scenes from Mitr Chaibancha and Petchara Chaowarat films and recut them together to make new films. Thai cinema sound was provided by actors who voiced the characters at the theaters, which was why this was easy to get away with. Some of the voice actors gained fame of their own (much like playback singers in Indian cinema would become famous and occasionally be more famous than the actors whose singing voices they provided) Due to this practice and Thai cinema being terrible at preserving their own movies (due to many factors such as the climate, no money, and a bunch of coups), no one is sure just how many movies Chaibancha and Chaowarat made together. Only three of the original Red Eagle films survive (and one has an obvious missing section), while snippits of one more is in the Thai Film Archive but I've not been there to try to see it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was about to say that it's practically a fighting game tradition to have a barely legally distinct Bruce Lee character, and then I got to that and it sounds like an amazing Mortal Kombat knockoff.

I think that is Mortal Kombat now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Clones of Bruce Lee - Who wants one Bruce Lee when you can have three! Bruce Lee died so they clones him in triplicate and are sending the clones on secret missions. Who cares if the clones look nothing like Bruce Lee or each other? Of course they fight each other for fun too. There are gold painted baddies and lots of naked women. This film I had 4 different versions of between cheap DVDs and an uncut VHS version with burnt in subs, but some fools when and remastered it so now it will live forever.

Well, I guess I’m gonna track these down then :magical:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Byzantine posted:

It's either that or Fortnite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNWaHd8tj2E

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantine posted:

They do have a cowboy and a vampire, and now Rambo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do have a cowboy and a vampire, and now Rambo.
Rambo's currently in Call Of Duty, along with John McClane. Maybe a CoD/MK crossover is inevitable.

Not going to lie, I would have bought the Dirty Harry game if it was basically True Crime: Streets of San Francisco meets Driver 76 with Clint doing the voice work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

If weebs can be avid followers of the “career” of an anime girl in a shark hoodie who plays old NES games then as soon as the tech is good enough celebrity followers are going to follow the “careers” of deepfake actors who will have scripted “real” lives outside of being “actors” in movies. Reality TV already proved it.

Yeah but VTubers are a real person using a digital avatar so as not to show their real face. That's not virtual acting that's just voice acting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Payndz posted:

Rambo's currently in Call Of Duty, along with John McClane. Maybe a CoD/MK crossover is inevitable.

Not going to lie, I would have bought the Dirty Harry game if it was basically True Crime: Streets of San Francisco meets Driver 76 with Clint doing the voice work.

they should put in special agent johnson and other johnson

other johnson: "IM IN JUNIOR HIGH DICKHEADS"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When did Mark Hamill die?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just picturing James Bond's fighting game moveset.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mark Hamill died from meditating really hard near the side of a cliff a few years ago. I saw the whole thing with my own eyes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

This became almost an entire industry and there are plenty of films with fake Bruces, both from film companies overseas or American distributors dubbing random films to be Bruce Lee films. Actors had their billing changed to names like Bruce Le, Bruce Li, Bruce Lai, and Dragon Lee. Even Jackie Chan did a Bruce Lee "sequel". Some of the best (as in most gonzo) ones are:

Bruce Lee in New Guinea - Bruce Li here plays a guy who goes to Snake Worship Island and gets caught up in sorcerers and pretty ladies and martial art fights. And lots and lots of snakes! There is a princess with a kung fu gorilla body guard who gets knocked up by Bruce so later he must save the baby from a snake curse. There are two versions of this film, I first saw it on vhs which was uncut and full of naked women, but the version that was in all the cheap DVD sets had alternate scenes where everyone was wearing clothes like some sort of prudes. Some of the dvd releases have those scenes as special features but they are obviously sourced from a VHS tape, I don't know if the original naughty version still exists.

Bruce Lee knocks up a gorilla? Man, that IS a weird movie!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Of course he knocks up a great ape.

To imply that Bruce Lee had been firing blanks would be a sign of weakness, and you just don't disrespect the dead like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but how would Bruce Lee compare to AAAAAAAAAAAA-
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedLetterMedia/comments/nt45so/the_pipes_on_rich/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Tiny Tina, aka the worst character in video games, is one of these

And she's possibly getting her own spin-off game announced at E3 next week.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think they're referring to the de-aged, young version.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

Game of Death is an odd one because while the obviously superimposed bits are ridiculous and the movie as a whole is terrible it does have some really iconic Bruce Lee poo poo like the yellow jumpsuit with the black stripe and the entire ending sequence (which Bruce actually filmed before his death) is maybe the best single sequence he ever shot.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave - This was a Korean martial arts film that American distributors added a scene in the beginning where lightning strikes a grave and Bruce Lee leaps out! The rest of the film has nothing to do with that.

As featured on the front page like 20 years ago!

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 6, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

duz posted:

I think they're referring to the de-aged, young version.

Okay, because I just saw him on Twitter and didn’t know if it was a Herman Cain deal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but VTubers are a real person using a digital avatar so as not to show their real face. That's not virtual acting that's just voice acting.

I think Vtubing is most like a sort of digital puppeteering, and will become more so as the technology improves. I partly had that in mind when I brought up Kermit, earlier.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Game of Death is an odd one because while the obviously superimposed bits are ridiculous and the movie as a whole is terrible it does have some really iconic Bruce Lee poo poo like the yellow jumpsuit with the black stripe and the entire ending sequence (which Bruce actually filmed before his death) is maybe the best single sequence he ever shot.
As featured on the front page like 20 years ago!

I think my "favorite" movie with Bruce Lee in the title that is unrelated to him is the 2006 IFD (yes, the Godfrey Ho production company was still around at this point, somehow) film Bruce Lee Hero the Great. Released in some places as just Hero the Great but it got the Bruce Lee added on in the US. It's extra funny because Dragon Shek is in it who has definitely played Bruce Lee-esque folks in other roles but that's just barely evoked in the movie itself for a few seconds. Gordon Liu and Carter Wong are in it too O_o I believe it's free on either Prime or Tubi but it's pretty crappy if I'm being honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiJbE_aA6bI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cooked Auto posted:

Of course she is. The people at Gearbox clearly love her.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ah yes, Vertigo, a movie famous for it's scenes involving a car crash, a tree house, and an arch bridge.

What are the odds it’s an LA Noire knockoff with Vertigo just as a licensing hook?

Regarde Aduck posted:

She’s the one with the bunny ears.

Looks like no Mordecai though, or his cool bird. Between that and Eli Roth this is going to be trash.

Borderlands is a trash property to adapt, we already have The Road Warrior and it won’t be improved by having Epic Bacon Reddit jokes.

Cooked Auto posted:

Still mad that Take Two’s giving us an XCOM game... based on Marvel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galagazombie posted:

What I’m wondering is how long until there’s “original” deepfakes that aren’t of any particular person. Hollywood would love to have “actors” that can never get metoo’d or ask for a higher salary.

You haven't been following the career of the actress S1m0ne? She's been around for almost twenty years now!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m kind of excited about new Peter Cushing/ Christopher Lee team-up exploitation horror now that Lucasfilm probably has digital models of both of them.

It's not quite this, but there was a story a few years ago about Lucasfilm compiling a James Earl Jones voice catalog so they can create new Darth Vader audio out of his voice in perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Do you remember Dark City and Inception? We hope you didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BggT--yxf0