Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
akira amemiya and goro taniguchi are directors with different styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for me it's really just an issue of execution, rather than the differing approach to characterization being an inherent problem. Yume is dominating the show, which is fine and has been enjoyable but does make me look over at Koyomi and Chise and feel they could use more time than they have been/are likely to get. especially with how underwhelming and pointless a lot of the battles in the series have felt, that just stands out to me as time away from addressing things i care about much more, in the character-focused show. i have enough of a read on Yomogi that i don't actually need much more from him, counter to the more negative responses to his involvement in the recent ep. it's really just wanting to better understand what they're trying with Koyomi and to see Chise get more involvement after her excellent ep (which idk, could even have been moved up?), possibly also some change happening in her non-kaiju life. i guess i'd also throw in that Knight and Second are still kind of headscratchers to me, in terms of the why they're there and what they add. but that feels like endgame plot stuff at least.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

A full no spider episode. Also no animation budget or ability to create drama or even slight interest.

Could have just had a still image of a spider and played cut takes and made a better show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You can tell Spider really wants to try and make the human scenes good but they just aren't working out via directing, budget and also being the least interesting part of the story. Plus not having Aoi Yuki's acting carry the weaker parts of the story through sheer acting

copy
Jul 26, 2007

kater posted:

A full no spider episode. Also no animation budget or ability to create drama or even slight interest.

Could have just had a still image of a spider and played cut takes and made a better show.

100% agreed. The human side of the story is where the "so what?" comes from.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

Cut a bit of the human side, but have spooder do commentary insterpsersed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have each of the In Charges sit in a bunch of silhouetted movie seats and commentate the rest of the world's goings-on.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Hot Take: I think its OK to watch (to completion) seasonal anime that you thought you'd enjoy at the outset but have continued to disappoint; oh, and that any legitimate criticism you post online is valid and worthy. The smarmy attitude of "If you don't like it, don't tell us about it!" is as I said. There are other internet-bubble-communes out there where negative comments (including valid criticism) are purposefully buried, and the resulting atmosphere is happy to the point where the happiness no longer carries any meaning.

Also, I don't agree that Yomogi is a boring character. Not every character needs swirling drama and conflict to be real, and Yomogi has felt the most real thus far, with Yume at a close second. I'll agree that Yume is a more interesting character, and that Dynazenon's goals have been pretty foggy thus far. This is the kind of show where I want to have seen every episode before I even venture to give my opinion on it. It's spinning quite a few plates at the moment, and doesn't have much time left. But there's also ambition to be found there. I'll wait.

Worst case scenario, it will have been an interesting but failed experiment.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I didn't enjoy dynazenon at all and dropped it awhile back. For me the season threads are valuable as a collection of reviews of what's on this season, it would be worthless if bad reviews weren't posted. The most useful thing is because it's mostly the same people posting every season so over time I'm learning who has similar taste to me

There's just a few people in these threads who seem to think that someone not liking a show they like is a personal attack.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think it's fine to not like a series for various reasons, and I encourage people to be honest about how they feel about what they consume. I also think that it's fine for people to critique those reasons provided, to provide their own perspective on the series, especially if the reasons given seem unfair to the material, are false, or otherwise misinterpreted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Malsangoroth posted:

Hot Take: I think its OK to watch (to completion) seasonal anime that you thought you'd enjoy at the outset but have continued to disappoint; oh, and that any legitimate criticism you post online is valid and worthy. The smarmy attitude of "If you don't like it, don't tell us about it!" is as I said. There are other internet-bubble-communes out there where negative comments (including valid criticism) are purposefully buried, and the resulting atmosphere is happy to the point where the happiness no longer carries any meaning.

Splode posted:

I didn't enjoy dynazenon at all and dropped it awhile back. For me the season threads are valuable as a collection of reviews of what's on this season, it would be worthless if bad reviews weren't posted. The most useful thing is because it's mostly the same people posting every season so over time I'm learning who has similar taste to me

There's just a few people in these threads who seem to think that someone not liking a show they like is a personal attack.

literally nobody told them to stop criticizing dynazenon lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Malsangoroth posted:

i agree, this is a well-reasoned case on why it's good that we can respond to others' criticisms of a show with valid and reasoned approaches to their opinion. it would be weird if we just left them in a safe bubble where we collect the contrary opinions and admire them like pieces in a museum. that's why we call them internet 'forums', after all.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s a relief to hear dynazemon is bad now I can watch it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Endorph posted:

literally nobody told them to stop criticizing dynazenon lol

You did, your argument was literally just

Endorph posted:

nah dynazenon is rad

Also this poster:

The Black Stones posted:

I mean, if you dislikes Gridman I don’t know why you thought Dynazenon would be amazingly different and I have zero idea why you’re still watching 10 episodes in. Stop watching?

Heavily implying you should just stop watching and never post a bad review.

Someone posted a bad review of a show and got dogpiled. It happens in these threads all the time and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Splode fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 6, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Splode posted:

I think the intent of that post was to say "don't torture yourself watching a whole series you don't like if you're not enjoying it after a few episodes" which is fair advice.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kater posted:

It’s a relief to hear dynazemon is bad now I can watch it.

Sorry to be that unpleasant person but I actually think Dynazenon is good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Splode posted:

Someone posted a bad review of a show and got dogpiled. It happens in these threads all the time and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

What?

Where the hell did I say they should not post a negative review. Point it out exactly where I implied that. I am super okay with them not liking it. I like the show, but am not heavily into it as some other posters are. All I was pointing out was that if they disliked Gridman and are 10 episodes into a show they also dislike, they should stop watching because they know they dislike the show and there’s nothing to gain from watching to the end. I wish I stopped watching Gibiate after the first episode, what a piece of poo poo that turned out to be, wasn’t worth it even though i had chuckles at how bad it was.

That is in no way me saying “you can’t have a negative opinion of something”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Splode posted:

You did, your argument was literally just
i made a throwaway joke post because i was on mobile. i made more involved posts on my opinion on dynazenon later. people were reacting to that person saying things like 'i feel like im going crazy' and seeming pretty beaten up about not liking it, not just saying they didn't like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also 'dogpiled?' literally more people posted criticizing dynazenon than defending it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squidster posted:

I really quite enjoyed the first Gridman, but I agree that Dynazenon is coasting on the laurels of its predecessor. It's a likeable cast and I appreciate the slice-of-life style pacing, but none of the character payoffs have felt earned. Several characters have had their arcs resolved in a single episode by outside forces.

dogsicle posted:

it wasn't really pushed as a sequel and i don't think the experience of watching a show that is bad or you dislike has no value. especially not when sharing those experiences in a discussion.

certainly for a show with so much praise already, i value seeing some counter viewpoints. i like gridman more than op but it is also interesting to see some of my own feelings on how dynazenon isn't living up to that echoed by someone who didn't like either show.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dynazenon is weird for me as it's had some good episodes that I like but as a series I find it lacking compared to Gridman. In Gridman right now we had an idea what the end game plot was going to be before now and was leading to it where as I find....Dynazenon aimless so far.

Also Akane is way more interesting as a character than Yomogi who's so far just been bland lead

Spiritus Nox posted:

What do you mean, people talk about Akane all the time

In all seriousness Dynazenon's biggest weakness for me is that after 10 episodes Yomogi is maybe only a half-step more interesting as a character than Yuta was despite Dynazenon presumably not planning on echoing Gridman's twist of Yuta being an empty cipher literally being one of the final twists of the show, and all the interesting stuff about the rest of the cast suffers from being filtered through the perception of a bland dude just kind of helicoptering around the whole thing. Like this week's episode is unambiguously a successor to Gridman's standout dream episode, but where in Gridman each of our protagonists - even bland, empty Yuta! - had to individually confront and choose to reject Akane's depressive solipsism by themselves and for their own reasons, in Dynazenon they're all just actively pulled out of it by the most boring character in the show. I actually groaned out loud when, after seemingly starting to finally give Yomogi some actual personal conflict to engage with in his own dream world, he just snaps out of it by himself because "I GOTTA SAVE MY GIRLFRIEND."

The visual execution is as immaculate as Gridman's but the emotional core of the show feels safer at best and downright dull at worst.

Also Gridknight and Ano's new designs are cool and I don't dislike having them around but I can't help but notice that they haven't....actually....done anything? Besides punch stuff I guess.

Caphi posted:

There's nothing wrong with Yomogi, but he hasn't earned any of the big moments where he smashes perspective into everyone else just by existing and being nice, and we still have almost no visibility into his own problem or in what sense he's a subject of the regrets/friendship thing. Unless they're saving that for a connection with Gauma at the very end? But come on, Gridman was laying the groundwork for Anti and Rikka long before this point.

I don't think this show is a retread of Gridman at all, but I'm not sure what it is. This episode just snaps that into focus because, from what I'm gathering from a lot of people like this, it feels extremely sudden and the episode itself seems to be using style to add weight that isn't landing.

the dreaded dogpiling of a bunch of people agreeing that its weaker than gridman

like if anything this comes across as you whining that maybe three people total dared to disagree with criticism, lol. you burst into a conversation that was already over and singled out the two people who disagreed with the criticism while giving reasons they disagreed. that, also isnt discussion.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Edit: Nevermind. Should have kept on being quiet.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 6, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 6, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yea but for some reason that guy decided to make this into a learning moment about the culture of this thread or some weird poo poo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

You know, there is a thread that is specifically for talking about Dynazenon, right?
lmfao

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dynazenon thread? Never heard of it. Whoever started it must be some kinda dumbass.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ibble can only run so many containment threads on this dead forum

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For reasons beyond my own comprehension I have continued watching Tokyo Revengers.

This series, on a weekly basis, alternates between OK and bad without fail. At its peak it's a 6/10, when it's anything less it hovers around 4-5/10. This all based on my arbitrary review process, so some may disagree.

The main character sucks a lot. Like.....it is laughable how useless they are. If the series doesn't want him to be time traveling Goku, that's fine. He does not need to be some sort of mega badass. The issue, however, is that his crowning moments are "gets rear end beat and doesn't give up." There's no counter punch, there's no upside, it's just sad sack observer guy from the future getting poo poo on repeatedly and getting bailed out by other people. He has zero ability to MAKE things happen. He just has to hope he runs into someone else and gets them into position to change things. This is....not particularly exciting.

We're 9 episodes in, and the latest episode revolves around MC regaining his resolve to protect a character from getting ambushed by someone else. 30 minutes later, the MC has fallen into every puddle, had every grunt fall on top of him, and fought off tears as he realized how hard his job was.....and the character he wanted to protect got ambushed anyway.

Is this manga any better? Cause good lord I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy a series where the main character has less agency than the MC of El Hazard, which while an old rear end series at least managed to work around a boring uninteresting protagonist.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shinjobi posted:

For reasons beyond my own comprehension I have continued watching Tokyo Revengers.

This series, on a weekly basis, alternates between OK and bad without fail. At its peak it's a 6/10, when it's anything less it hovers around 4-5/10. This all based on my arbitrary review process, so some may disagree.

The main character sucks a lot. Like.....it is laughable how useless they are. If the series doesn't want him to be time traveling Goku, that's fine. He does not need to be some sort of mega badass. The issue, however, is that his crowning moments are "gets rear end beat and doesn't give up." There's no counter punch, there's no upside, it's just sad sack observer guy from the future getting poo poo on repeatedly and getting bailed out by other people. He has zero ability to MAKE things happen. He just has to hope he runs into someone else and gets them into position to change things. This is....not particularly exciting.

We're 9 episodes in, and the latest episode revolves around MC regaining his resolve to protect a character from getting ambushed by someone else. 30 minutes later, the MC has fallen into every puddle, had every grunt fall on top of him, and fought off tears as he realized how hard his job was.....and the character he wanted to protect got ambushed anyway.

Is this manga any better? Cause good lord I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to enjoy a series where the main character has less agency than the MC of El Hazard, which while an old rear end series at least managed to work around a boring uninteresting protagonist.

From what Invictus posted earlier in the thread, the MC does not improve and the same issue continues throughout the entire series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's basically his MO in the series, but is 100% the thing i would expect to be awful when forced into 23-minute pacing of anime. i never minded it much in the manga tbh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the manga handles it better then I might give its chapters a look-see. Cause holy moley this last episode was maddening.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Tokyo Revengers was cool for the first go-round but the same things keep happening over and over. It's like a fractal of bad storytelling.

Super Cub and Nomad continue to be fantastic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still watch One Piece.

Yeah it's a slog sometimes, but then sometimes it's good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nomad is the best. I still need to watch Vivy and Odd Taxi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shinjobi posted:

check my prior posts if you want more details on what I think the series drops the ball on but it only gets worse on the uselessness front. the other characters are pretty cool, Draken is easily my favorite, but the way it handles certain characters and situations is so terrible that I'm only continuing reading it just for completion's sake since one of the recent chapters said this is the final arc. Even if you marginally enjoy the series, it does mostly the same things over and over again, and there's a solid two full arcs after a specific event that are genuinely bad typical shonen fight garbage. It was setting up a pretty solid epilogue arc but decided to jump into ~one final arc~ which is just eyeroll-worthy.

the twist in one of the latest chapters that dropped recently is so awful and also damning of one of the main character's priorities that it's pushed the series into entirely unrecommendable for me. I put it in a pastebin behind the spoiler tags below, so I guess don't click if you don't want to be spoiled:

https://pastebin.com/EuFadmkj

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 7, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Hot take: people are allowed to like or dislike an anime and explain why

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hotter take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_XcSu154oA

:ssj: Listen to JAM Project.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hottest take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9cGGSzJOlw

Listen to Rocks

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks that song sounds oddly similar to Billy Joel's A Matter of Trust in places?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
hot take, it's actually not okay to continue to watch a show you hate and tell people about that, because people who do that almost always turn out to be weirdly defensive about their bad decisions, spin all conversation to be about themselves, lash out at anyone who tries to be helpful and recommend other shows or share their own more positive opinions, tediously regurgitate the same complaints over and over, exaggerate all disagreement into "you're trying to create an echo chamber/hugbox etc etc", and basically turn the entire thread into a toxic flamewar

okay, exaggerating, but hey, gotta keep that take hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

hot take, it's actually not okay to continue to watch a show you hate and tell people about that, because people who do that almost always turn out to be weirdly defensive about their bad decisions, spin all conversation to be about themselves, lash out at anyone who tries to be helpful and recommend other shows or share their own more positive opinions, tediously regurgitate the same complaints over and over, exaggerate all disagreement into "you're trying to create an echo chamber/hugbox etc etc", and basically turn the entire thread into a toxic flamewar

okay, exaggerating, but hey, gotta keep that take hot

A place where only positive opinions are allowed is also an echo chamber.