Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Man, why did I sleep on The Americans for so long? I binged season one yesterday and was hooked from the start. Probably helps that I loved Matthew Rhys in Perry Mason, and I’m not sure Keri Russell isn’t actually a trained spy, she’s that good. I like how they weave real events in there too. If you liked/loved Halt and Catch Fire and For All Mankind, I think you’d enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mare is basically Pennsatucky Broadchurch with all the dysfunctional families and red herrings. Meh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That show was amazing and VanderBeek was robbed when he actually got on DWTS.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Keri Russel was loving excellent in The Americans, but they really should have dubbed over her Russian. I don't even speak it and even I know it's that bad.

I really like Mare of Easttown, but mostly just for watching Kate Winslet do her thing. The whole thing is just basically UK small town murder mystery 101 but I can see why people like it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Retrowave Joe posted:

Man, why did I sleep on The Americans for so long? I binged season one yesterday and was hooked from the start. Probably helps that I loved Matthew Rhys in Perry Mason, and I’m not sure Keri Russell isn’t actually a trained spy, she’s that good. I like how they weave real events in there too. If you liked/loved Halt and Catch Fire and For All Mankind, I think you’d enjoy it.

I always thought that the seasons were a little too long but the last few episodes were always fantastic. Ending was good too.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just finished watching Lastman which was awesome and I highly recommend to those who enjoy animation. Think French anime. Each episode is short and easily digestible.

https://youtu.be/Cnk--w6fz4M

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Retrowave Joe posted:

It's not as good but Deutschland 83 is a fun sister show to The Americans. Some similar themes and they cover roughly the same events like South Africa, Cuba, rear end in a top hat Reagan etc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Retrowave Joe posted:

Yeah, what I've seen of The Americans was pretty great. I stopped watching ages ago after seeing season three, seeing as there was such a long gap between that and season four, so it just kinda dropped off my radar.

Is the overall plot actually finished now, by the way? Since I can see that there are six seasons now - surely it's not still ongoing! (I mean, I could google it, but I don't want to risk spoiling it) And regardless of whether or not it's finished, do seasons four to six keep up the pace and stay interesting? I'd hate for the show to end up being like the Dune books, where the first four are good and then it takes a big downward turn.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
No, The Americans is done. IMO, every season was great. Not perfect but it all builds so incredibly towards the end.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Americans reaches a natural crescendo at the end of six seasons. I enjoyed it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice, I'm very glad to hear that! I'll definitely need to continue watching it, in that case. I think my partner has a Binge sub, so that's perfect, as it's apparently streaming on there according to Google. Excellent start to my day! :D

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Yeah, from what I read it didn’t have great ratings but the CEO of FX liked it enough that he let the creators finish their six season plan. They should probably go teach the hacks at Star Trek a thing or two but I digress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Americans is so loving good omg and imo seasons 4 and 6 were the best so you have the best to come still!!!!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Americans is one of those rare series that has a really good ending. Perfectly bittersweet.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not as good but Deutschland 83 is a fun sister show to The Americans. Some similar themes and they cover roughly the same events like South Africa, Cuba, rear end in a top hat Reagan etc.

Is Deutschland 83 anything like This Is England, but for germany?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

It’s debateable that it’s not as good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked it a lot but 89 especially was a mess of a season.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We've been slowly chipping away at Bones over the past many months, and last night we started season 10. Such an absurd show Sweets dies and wtf they ASAP skeletonize him in the beetles. I don't think I was supposed to be laughing at that?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think I watched an Americans season finale that ended with the characters watching a Reagan speech, and then literally the next thing I watched was the premiere of Deutschland 83 which began with characters watching the exact same Reagan speech. It was like stepping into an alternate universe.

Still need to watch Deutschland 89, it's on my list but I've fallen way behind on TV lately.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I loved The Americans, so I'll add Deutschland 83 to my queue.

Finished Warehouse 13 last night. I liked the premise a lot and some of the choices they made were neat. The season 2 and onwards Toyota product placement was obnoxious though. Claire and her sister being into Garbage was kind of wacky. Just never hear about them much, so cool to see that. Wasn't really happy about the direction they went with Pete and Myka. They seemed to specifically avoid that stuff for 4 seasons and then just decided to go with that plot?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Binging Monk. I made it to season 7 many years ago. I just got to the episode with Willy Nelson guest starring as himself. I forgot how ridiculous some of this show was. But Tony Shaloub is every bit as good as the first time.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We've been slowly chipping away at Bones over the past many months, and last night we started season 10. Such an absurd show Sweets dies and wtf they ASAP skeletonize him in the beetles. I don't think I was supposed to be laughing at that?

Maybe they were looking for his back scars that disappeared with no explanation.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'll spoiler this because I know there are other people in here currently watching it.

We're nearing the end of season 4 of The Magicians, still enjoying it. The musical episode really toed the line between being too goofy and just goofy enough, but in the end I felt like it stayed just the right side of it.

One episode that I felt was a little subpar was Penny's promotion episode. The show has been very good about having a diverse cast where women have strong, important roles (albeit almost all with the "sulky" personality trait turned up to 11), and that's loving awesome. Having a whole episode that mainly seems to exist to point out that they're doing a good job on this front to the audience seems both unnecessary and more than a little self-congratulatory. It just seemed heavy-handed and like they didn't fully trust the audience to notice something that's been completely apparent for the entire series. That said, it was still a fun episode.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On that note, though, my wife pointed out something really interesting to me last night. The sort of wisecracking, cynical, eminently practical rogue character doing their best to hide a heart of gold is somewhat common in fiction (Sawyer from Lost, Han Solo, etc.), but it's very rare to see a woman in that sort of role. Margo is very much that sort of character and it really, really works.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Some masochistic part of me decided I wanted to get through all 9 seasons of American Horror Story (I'd only seen the first two) at 1.5x speed just to have the... whole experience. I watched the entire Saw series for the continuity, so I suspect it's the same self-nullifying instinct. Almost through Season 4 and... man, this show is even more Ryan Murphy than any other Ryan Murphy project. It has moments of brilliance and the actors are great, but jesus, their writers' room is terrible.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Memnaelar posted:

at 1.5x speed

This is scarier than 9 seasons of AHS my god

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

One episode that I felt was a little subpar was Penny's promotion episode.

I remember when that episode aired live it seemed like it was addressed, specifically, to a big portion of the internet that was complaining about it week to week. I enjoyed it at the time for the retort of "Yes, that's what we're doing. gently caress you."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

I loved The Americans, so I'll add Deutschland 83 to my queue.

have fun, Deutschland 83 is easily in my top 10 of all time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just finished season one of Search Party.

lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

lol
haha

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

lol

the :stonk: lol's haven't even started yet my friend

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I remember when that episode aired live it seemed like it was addressed, specifically, to a big portion of the internet that was complaining about it week to week. I enjoyed it at the time for the retort of "Yes, that's what we're doing. gently caress you."

Oooooooh in that context it makes a lot more sense.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oooooooh in that context it makes a lot more sense.

Which episode is that? I'm pretty sure that I'm at a similar point in the series but I don't remember that stuff

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Season 4, episode 7, "The Side Effect".

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
American Horror Story has 9 loving seasons???

Jesus Christ!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slamhound posted:

Jesus Christ!

America is kind of terrible, they'll never run out of stories.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finished season 4 of The Magicians last night. Oof.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Trig Discipline posted:

it was fine

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Slamhound posted:

Jesus Christ!

Yeah, I swear it was only last year, when I heard that season four came out. drat!

Also, my partner and I finally finished Stranger Things. I feel they definitely could've simply left off the bit at the end about Hopper in Russia and instead included a little epilogue with the Christmas party El and Mike were gonna have, and call it done. Hopefully they've got some good ideas for season four though, and that it makes for a decent grand finale. (Assuming they'll actually end it this time, instead of wringing more seasons out of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Who doesn't love a musical episode?

Edit: the loving peach

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 7, 2021