Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Noir89 posted:

I mean you dropped a weird one line comment on me agreeing with another poster and you get one back, seems fair to me.

I don't enjoy playing with it on, so since i enjoy having fun when playing, I leave it off.

Fair enough, I like playing on large maps, so I love the new pop cap options. I put down a growth ceiling that's slightly higher than what this patch started with and then experimented a bit with the second option (the one manipulating the cost of new pops) until I found a setting that's fast enough in the early game but manages to reduce late game lag enormously. I think my last run was the first time I got close to 2500 without my PC melting! But then I got bored of always winning and abandoned that game for a new one. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like putting everything on auto except for the few planets I care about. You can mark them as a Mining World or whatever first, and that mostly works these days. Much better than it used to be at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Fair enough, I like playing on large maps, so I love the new pop cap options. I put down a growth ceiling that's slightly higher than what this patch started with and then experimented a bit with the second option (the one manipulating the cost of new pops) until I found a setting that's fast enough in the early game but manages to reduce late game lag enormously. I think my last run was the first time I got close to 2500 without my PC melting! But then I got bored of always winning and abandoned that game for a new one. :v:
Also you can grow your non-primary planets to 50 or higher if you want to, the important thing is that when you do cut them off they're still at max growth rather than converting every planet into a 100% capacity hellworld while blaming the empire limiter for why your new planets aren't growing. "So full they can't grow anymore" is no longer the ideal end state for a planet. Which I'm very happy about because paving entire continents never felt good to me.

e: Hey LordMune if you read this, I'd love a building that boosted the carrying capacity of empty districts, maybe even ones blocked by blockers. National park service or something. Maybe even make them provide amenities.

e: oh or have them give a little housing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 5, 2021

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

How many individuals do you think 1 pop represents? 100k? 1mm?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Given that your starting planet is presumably developed enough to support a massive space program to colonize the stars, wouldn't it be closer to 1 billion?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Given that your starting planet is presumably developed enough to support a massive space program to colonize the stars, wouldn't it be closer to 1 billion?

My personal canon is that it depends on your state of development. Stone age: Probably around 1k. After reaching bronze age, it's getting upgraded to 100k per pop until a civ reaches the middle ages. Then it's 1 million until the industrial age, when the sudden population explosion caused by agricultural industrialization leads to another upgrade to 100 million.

When the atomic age is reached and the first space stations are being build, the numbers equalize to 1 pop = 1 billion people. All space faring species have the same level of abstraction, of course.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Splicer posted:

Also you can grow your non-primary planets to 50 or higher if you want to, the important thing is that when you do cut them off they're still at max growth rather than converting every planet into a 100% capacity hellworld while blaming the empire limiter for why your new planets aren't growing. "So full they can't grow anymore" is no longer the ideal end state for a planet.

I was going to type out a post about how I manage the planets but you know what, gently caress it. Guess you have to live with the fact that I enjoy playing the game a slightly different way!

On another note, kinda happy I held off on the FP necro only game, what with necro hive minds coming! Now it can be a true xenomorphs facehugging eachother forever game! :D

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Noir89 posted:

I was going to type out a post about how I manage the planets but you know what, gently caress it. Guess you have to live with the fact that I enjoy playing the game a slightly different way!
Coward!

But seriously I would like to know and not in a "just asking questions" way. If you're actively maintaining scores of planets at a time I'd like to take a peek behind that curtain, it's a genuinely baffling concept to me. And that last line you cut off is important, a big part of why I like being rewarded for leaving planets as half empty pop generators is that I like being rewarded for leaving planets half empty, because carpeting planets in concrete makes me feel bad.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 5, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Splicer posted:

Coward!

But seriously I would like to know and not in a "just asking questions" way. If you're actively maintaining scores of planets at a time I'd like to take a peek behind that curtain, it's a genuinely baffling concept to me. And that last line you cut off is important, a big part of why I like being rewarded for leaving planets as half empty pop generators is that I like being rewarded for leaving planets half empty, because carpeting planets in concrete makes me feel bad.

I will type one out later then, on the phone right now enjoying that summer finally arrived in Sweden :D

I can definitively understand not enjoying it and I know I am in the minority for doing it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'd definitely be interested in "getting gud" at Stellaris but I also find how I like to play in RP leaning ways to be somewhat anathema at times with competing with people who just pick optimal builds/strats. :(

Currently watching this video about corvettes vs battleships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx4aGahpSyg

Pretty interesting.

One thing I've noticed that I did better during this play through that I've been occasionally posting about is actually manually switching around my combat computers; often it seems like the auto-generated designs/defaults aren't optimal. Long range ships are often put on Picket Duty instead of Line or Artillery etc.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I think Wiz stated around the time 2.2 was released that different pops are different sizes.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
My personal headcanon (which I like to think is more canonical than others' but probably isn't. But when I do design stuff this is how I think of them) is that a pop is the smallest unit of people that a) the player can meaningfully affect administratively and b) will produce and consume a meaningful amount of resources. So the actual size of a pop changes over the course of the game and from empire to empire.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
The ruler at his war table,
The galaxy is in pieces
A message ensues, bearing great news:
Interdimensional trade increases

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I like to think of the pops as about the biomass of 1 billion-ish humans. It's not like Stellaris is concerned with the scale of anything smaller than a moon anyhow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The event that lets you clone horrible giant slugs, I always viewed those pops as each being one slug.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Clarste posted:

I like putting everything on auto except for the few planets I care about. You can mark them as a Mining World or whatever first, and that mostly works these days. Much better than it used to be at least.

You can certainly do that, and if it wasn't for the pop growth changes (or if you turn them off) it would work well enough, but the AI control will try to fill up the planet which isn't really workable with empire-wide growth slowdown. It would be great if there was a "grow to X and then let pops migrate" setting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The event that lets you clone horrible giant slugs, I always viewed those pops as each being one slug.

Those slugs are the size of houses, right? Just look up how many humans can be crammed into a medium-sized house and divide 1 billion through that, imho. That should give you the equivalent size of a slug pop.

Though I always put those things into zoos or just flush them down as failed experiments, depending on what I think my current species would think of them, so I never saw a giant slug pop myself. :v:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If I’m in a federation, do I have any way to view which claims my federation president is trying to get? I’ve been stuck in a war with the dumbshit AI swapping systems back and forth. I’d like to just end this war already, but I’m not president. I’m waiting for the unbidden to show up while cleaning up the fallen empires and don’t really feel bothered to help fight some garbage 2k fleets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Those slugs are the size of houses, right? Just look up how many humans can be crammed into a medium-sized house and divide 1 billion through that, imho. That should give you the equivalent size of a slug pop.

Though I always put those things into zoos or just flush them down as failed experiments, depending on what I think my current species would think of them, so I never saw a giant slug pop myself. :v:
I highly recommend having a mine staffed by one giant slug, face buried in the earth and pooping metals onto the surface.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Porkness posted:

The ruler at his war table,
The galaxy is in pieces
A message ensues, bearing great news:
Interdimensional trade increases

What this door got you but dreams of everything lost?
What does sleep bring you but screams at night where you toss?
And turn hope into stone, your motto embossed
Increase trade at all costs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Obviously the pops are on a 1:1 scale. In the year 2200 it only takes about 20-ish people to get the ball rolling on interstellar conquest.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

My personal canon is that it depends on your state of development. Stone age: Probably around 1k. After reaching bronze age, it's getting upgraded to 100k per pop until a civ reaches the middle ages. Then it's 1 million until the industrial age, when the sudden population explosion caused by agricultural industrialization leads to another upgrade to 100 million.

When the atomic age is reached and the first space stations are being build, the numbers equalize to 1 pop = 1 billion people. All space faring species have the same level of abstraction, of course.
I like that idea but how does it work when you uplift or conquer stone age people and their pop number stays the same? :v:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

If I’m in a federation, do I have any way to view which claims my federation president is trying to get? I’ve been stuck in a war with the dumbshit AI swapping systems back and forth. I’d like to just end this war already, but I’m not president. I’m waiting for the unbidden to show up while cleaning up the fallen empires and don’t really feel bothered to help fight some garbage 2k fleets.

Hahahaha, I literally came into this thread with the exact same problem.

If you press "Diplomatic map mode" down on the bottom right, then click on your presidents empire it will light up the systems they have claims on, which should help speed things up if you capture both the system and planets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Started a new Medium map. I'm right next to an Advanced Start empire. As in literally right next to. My first popup of the game was being told I'd found Aliens.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

Started a new Medium map. I'm right next to an Advanced Start empire. As in literally right next to. My first popup of the game was being told I'd found Aliens.

What's it like to be the uplifted instead of the one doing the uplifting?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

What's it like to be the uplifted instead of the one doing the uplifting?
They kidnapped a bunch of my guys, I blew up their construction ship, they sent two mighty fleets of 3 and about 20 corvettes after me, but they hosed up the ordering so the first fleet of about 3 corvettes got blown up while the second was still in transit, and as the second fleet was heading toward my main habitat I finished translating their language just in time for us to bond over our mutual love of science. I'm now improving relations and also spying the hell out of them.

It's a good thing my empire are fanatic xenophiles or this might have been traumatic.

e: Their fleet is just kind of hanging out menacingly in my home system. Please go away you're weirding me out.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 5, 2021

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Pulsarcat posted:

Hahahaha, I literally came into this thread with the exact same problem.

If you press "Diplomatic map mode" down on the bottom right, then click on your presidents empire it will light up the systems they have claims on, which should help speed things up if you capture both the system and planets.

Thank you, this helped immensely! :cheers:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd definitely be interested in "getting gud" at Stellaris but I also find how I like to play in RP leaning ways to be somewhat anathema at times with competing with people who just pick optimal builds/strats. :(

Currently watching this video about corvettes vs battleships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx4aGahpSyg

Pretty interesting.

One thing I've noticed that I did better during this play through that I've been occasionally posting about is actually manually switching around my combat computers; often it seems like the auto-generated designs/defaults aren't optimal. Long range ships are often put on Picket Duty instead of Line or Artillery etc.

tl;dr: Battleships are best, end discussion. I have some minor quibbles with his tests (using hull modules on Bships, using fleet capacity instead of alloys) but they basically reinforce what we already know. Even with the decked stacked impossibly against them, the most lazy design still comes out ahead when hard countered, and that countering will never be seen in real games. And yes, never let the autobuild touch your ships, it does dumb stuff. Autoupgrade seems to work fine though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Serephina posted:

Autoupgrade seems to work fine though.

Unless you forget to update your Reactors.

When it runs into energy problems it'll stop automatically updating stuff, sometimes even when you do research a higher level reactor.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah, I rush reactor upgrades on principle so I've not seen that issue in a while, good point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"We have detected what appears to be a naturally occurring subspace phenomenon" dude you saw me pull the lever.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Serephina posted:

Ah, I rush reactor upgrades on principle so I've not seen that issue in a while, good point.

I do too, but sometimes the game decides you should have level 4 shields before lvl 2 reactors.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Splicer posted:

"We have detected what appears to be a naturally occurring subspace phenomenon" dude you saw me pull the lever.

You are a naturally occuring subspace phenomenon, are you not? Unless you have something you would like to share with the Order, Adept Splicer?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pretty interesting.

I'm disappointed that this comparison didn't even include 3xdisruptor corvettes, even though battleships could very likely also have wiped the floor with such corvettes in many situations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bofast posted:

I'm disappointed that this comparison didn't even include 3xdisruptor corvettes, even though battleships could very likely also have wiped the floor with such corvettes in many situations.

Disruptor corvettes do strictly worse than torpedo corvettes and he notes it briefly in the video. I'll explain; when a ship falls below 50% hull damage it rolls for disengagement every time it's hit. Since disruptors do much less damage than torpedoes per hit they have to shoot a ship's hull more than torpedoes have to impact it, thus after disengagement is factored in they cause less casualties and overall damage than the same number of torpedo equipped ships.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Complications posted:

Disruptor corvettes do strictly worse than torpedo corvettes and he notes it briefly in the video. I'll explain; when a ship falls below 50% hull damage it rolls for disengagement every time it's hit. Since disruptors do much less damage than torpedoes per hit they have to shoot a ship's hull more than torpedoes have to impact it, thus after disengagement is factored in they cause less casualties and overall damage than the same number of torpedo equipped ships.

Depends if you're trying to win the fight, or the war. Bships cheerfully blink out early, leaving your fleet missing 1/4th it's hp (and fleet power). The 'No Retreat' war doctrine is even better than it looks! You also see this in his tests, where the artillery Bships lost the fight despite trading efficiently (for a small while, they'd lose eventually).

Of course, it's a moot point for me since by the time I've gotten disruptors I'm never building another corvette.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I did an all-corvette empire gimmick a while back. It's a lot of fun but you will be replacing ships around the clock.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

And Tyler Too! posted:

I did an all-corvette empire gimmick a while back. It's a lot of fun but you will be replacing ships around the clock.

This is what ultimately convinced me I wanted all battleship fleets as soon as practical. You can give battleships the automatic regenerator add on and then have your fleet be self sufficient the entire length of a war without degrading, which you cannot do for corvettes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I always have a mixed fleet because it feels right to me, although Cruisers do stop being line fighters when I can afford enough Battleships. Sometimes I even make multiple designs of the same type, such as Swarm/Picket/Torpedo Corvettes and Picket/Artillery Destroyers + Line/Carrier Battleships. Sure Corvettes get some attrition but for the most part you can just hit the reinforce button and they'll sort themselves out, and if I have a Juggernaut there's a shipyard along to replace them almost instantly. I normally try to grab systems with Gateways to build my shipyards in if possible too, so reinforcements can start using them as soon as I learn how to use them.

I'll also sometimes have an all Corvette or Corvette/Destroyer fast reaction fleet for catching enemies in a messy border situation. If you are The Crisis then the Menacing ships are especially good for this.

If you want to, or enjoy, have the optimal fleet composition then of course follow the meta, but it's worth noting that you'll probably be fine building whatever you like, at least until a FE awakens or the Crisis hits - but even then it depends. I generally pick a theme for my fleet when I start a game and try to roll with that, although I might change it if I get Null Void beams (my one added weapon!) or Mining Lasers etc, or I may refit to deal with a specific Leviathan if I need to deal with them early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LordMune posted:

This is what I was obliquely hinting at when I said to not make too many assumptions based on past development/release cycles. The upcoming Lem update is very much an experiment and we're still finding our footing, but I think there are great things in store for the Custodian team.

The new Custodians team is exactly what Stellaris needs and I'm happy the dev team / mgmt is supporting that initiative.

It's unclear from the dev diary "how much" of the Stellaris team's resources / time is being devoted to it. I hope it's more than 25% (heck, I hope it's more than 50%, but, wishful thinking). I look forward to their first big set of results.