Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

finally cum is back on the menu

what the gently caress is it doing with its arms

has the artist ever seen a human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I'm the TBA Mystery Announcement that is certainly not running away with the money.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SubG posted:

tumblers don't work well for hiding poo poo because nobody actually uses bitcoin for anything. the overwhelming majority of "bitcoin transactions" are just twiddling numbers in exchanges' lovely mysql backends or whatever. people don't actually do anything with bitcoin by actually, you know, just using bitcoin. and even if they do they're not going to bother to use a tumbler to do it. so there's not a huge volume of legit traffic that's just routinely passing through tumblers that an illicit transaction can hide in.

so if you're trying to hide that you're moving coins from point a to point b, the fact that you spend a dozen transactions shuffling your feet between a and b doesn't really help hide anything. if there was way more volume and/or if there were way more places you could use as point b (like if you were just diffusing the coins into a bunch of random addresses and leaving them there, instead of having to get them to the small number of exchanges where you can use them to get cash/whatever out of the system) it might work. as it is it's fairly easy to spot because someone moving a bunch of coins like this is either a) a scammer/thief moving the proceeds of crime, b) a miner/exchange, or c) all of the above.
Even if they were they'd still be amazing prosecution futures.

"So you passed this through a money laundering unit and then withdrew exactly the amount you put in"
"No I was laundering my money for completely unrelated crimes I mean wait"

And that's ignoring that half of them are probably honeypots anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/acczibit/status/1401517222896492544

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://twitter.com/acczibit/status/1401519319524253703?s=21

Holy poo poo hahahahahaha

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

I kind of hate myself for knowing enough to get this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if elon doesn't already walk around with a full-time security team he might have to start as some very unhinged people are getting very mad at him

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

KnifeWrench posted:

I kind of hate myself for knowing enough to get this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The_Franz posted:

if elon doesn't already walk around with a full-time security team he might have to start as some very unhinged people are getting very mad at him

he's a rich nerd, he probably doesn't go outside much at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it came from the reddit relationships thread:

The Bramble posted:

My [40F] daughter's [15F] cryptocurrency club is creating problems at our church

quote:

My family has been part of our church for several generations. My husband and I have been blessed with five children, and our whole family loves being involved in spiritual life.

A few months ago, my oldest daughter Hadley started a cryptocurrency investment club at the church. It's grown rapidly as members have become interested in investing and saw the club's results. I'm proud of Hadley's entrepreneurial spirit and leadership skills.

A few days ago, our pastor approached me concerned that Hadley's club is not in line with the church's values. He told me that she needs to shut it down.

In truth, our pastor is worried about Hadley stealing his thunder. I'd love to point out his hypocrisy and remind him how he initially loved the idea and said it would increase younger members' involvement in the church. But there's no room to push back because I'm applying for a leadership position in the church mother's ministry, and I need his support.

I want to guide my daughter towards phasing out the group, but she doesn't have enough money to pay everyone back. She's been doing so well with the club that cash has never been a problem, but if she shut down immediately, she'd owe thousands of dollars that she can't repay.

Closing the club in this way would create a huge scandal. It would definitely jeopardize my chances at the mother's ministry and could create legal headaches for me even though I've had no involvement with the club at all.

I asked Hadley to get a job to make up the difference, but she's gotten the idea that investing is her life path. She wants to earn the money by starting a TikTok about investing, but I think she needs to get over this cryptocurrency phase altogether.

How do I convince my daughter to give up this cryptocurrency stuff and that she's not too good for babysitting?

TL;DR - Daughter's cryptocurrency investment club has gotten out of control, and I want her to get a regular

From the comments:

quote:

I don't know a lot about cryptocurrency, but I know she's relying on new membership to help pay for earlier members. That way, even when her investments are down, she's still able to make a profit for club members.

I appreciate your suggestion about the burden this is creating for me, but this is my family, and it's my responsibility as a parent to figure this out as a family.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
My 40ft daughter's 15ft cryptocurrency club is creating problems at our church

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it came from the reddit relationships thread:

this has everything

without even looking at the reddit replies i'm guessing there are a slew of "LADY YOUR DAUGHTER IS RUNNING A PONZI SCHEME PEOPLE GO TO JAIL FOR THIS". the club not being in line with the church's "values" is the minister getting worried that people will lose their money to this kid instead of giving it to him

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boxturret posted:

yeah that particular syntax they use is kinda irritating but it's required in the subreddit because otherwise you get a LOT of stories with a conspicuous lack of ages.

stuff like "my wife of 8 years says she isn't happy in our marriage" and then the ages turn out to be 43m/25f

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Boxturret posted:

I didn’t know they stacked shitcoin that high

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The_Franz posted:

Can you imagine the stories they'll tell to explain why Elon being assassinated for abandoning bitcoin is actually good for bitcoin?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The_Franz posted:

this has everything

without even looking at the reddit replies i'm guessing there are a slew of "LADY YOUR DAUGHTER IS RUNNING A PONZI SCHEME PEOPLE GO TO JAIL FOR THIS". the club not being in line with the church's "values" is the minister getting worried that people will lose their money to this kid instead of giving it to him
This is Reddit, it's 25% "This is a Ponzi scheme", 25% Reddit Athiests smugging it up, 25% "Stop getting in the way of your daughter going to jail the MOON", and 25% doing the last two simultaneously.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Can you imagine the stories they'll tell to explain why Elon being assassinated for abandoning bitcoin is actually good for bitcoin?

well elo is now an enemy of coin so he deserved it and it should act as a warning to those foolish enough to reject the light of satoshi

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

this has everything

It's helpful that it came from the creative writing thread

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was gonna say, aren't 95% of r/relationships posts just bullshit people make up specifically so they get screen capped and shared around?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Boxturret posted:

Mods name change to "MY 40FT DAUGHTER"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ultrafilter posted:

If someone assassinates Elon I will buy into bitcoin as a thank you.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

probably good for elon that all of the bitcoin assassins on the darkweb are actually cops

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
attack of the 50ft blockchain, part 2: revenge of the 40ft bitcoin daughter, by :gerard:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

njsykora posted:

I was gonna say, aren't 95% of r/relationships posts just bullshit people make up specifically so they get screen capped and shared around?

You think that takes liberties lemme show you Brazil.txt

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

wasn't the whole bitcoin tumbler/mixer thing basically just theatre because given sufficient time you could back trace it all anyway? And assuming you wanted to get the funds out, it would all converge right back into addresses you owned, making the whole exercise pointless.

"oh this 2 million dollars in tethers received in a thousand blocks of transfers ? No no that's completely legitimate"

There isn't any legitimate traffic to hide it in so it's basically "If you mix all the dirty money together they can't tie it to one specific crime!"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that particular syntax they use is kinda irritating but it's required in the subreddit because otherwise you get a LOT of stories with a conspicuous lack of ages.

stuff like "my wife of 8 years says she isn't happy in our marriage" and then the ages turn out to be 43m/25f

oh that new probation avatar is cool

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

oh that new probation avatar is cool

The QR code works :discourse:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

gschmidl posted:

The QR code works :discourse:
goatse?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

got it in one

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote up the el salvador thing

tl;dr dictators are actually good news for libertarianism, if number go up

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

divabot posted:

Thanks, just what I was looking for because I was definitely going "...how".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gschmidl posted:

"...how".

i like that

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

divabot posted:

More like President Bukake

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

i like that

:hmmwrong:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
general zod making quite a comeback

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, it's that popular youtuber who makes reaction videos.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Paladinus posted:

I guess being a dictator is one way to get followers

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

lowtax?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I said popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was thinking of Critical.