Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sickening posted:

I still scratch my head at people using the browser on a phone at all. What do you do in the browser that you can't have a better experience with the corresponding app? Even the people in my life without computers rarely use a browser for anything.

Ah yes let me install an app that I will use once ever or once in a year, that tracks and probably runs in background!

Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mystes posted:

We've finally found the person who sees the "install the app" popup and says "why yes I will, thank you."

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mystes posted:

We've finally found the person who sees the "install the app" popup and says "why yes I will, thank you."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Celexi posted:

Ah yes let me install an app that I will use once ever or once in a year, that tracks and probably runs in background!
tell people you're on android without telling them you're on android.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mystes posted:

:lol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a while back, i uninstalled all of my password manager browser extensions and honestly i don't miss it. sometimes now i need to pull up the password on one device and type it into another device that no longer has the manager installed on it, but it really isn't that annoying, and it makes me feel a lot better

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

edge syncs its passwords to microsoft authenticator which you can use as an ios password manager

i do this, it became quite needs-suiting once microsoft fixed the edge bug that kept it from suggesting new strong passwords

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a while back, i uninstalled all of my password manager browser extensions and honestly i don't miss it. sometimes now i need to pull up the password on one device and type it into another device that no longer has the manager installed on it, but it really isn't that annoying, and it makes me feel a lot better

i think I would go in insane typing out my passwords on mobile every time now that most of them are 20+ insane gibberish.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Keepass on a dropbox seems simple enough, I use dropbox sync all my stupid cat pictures with all my devices, just shove a kdbx file in there and open with any one dozens of keepAss clients available for every platform, then copy/paste? Strongbox even supports storing OTP seeds and acting as an OTP app.

Tavis seems all about being "technically right" about everything without caring about other people's use cases. He has these absolutist opinions on AV and MFA because breaking that stuff is his day job. His perspective is so skewed that his opinion is essentially irrelevant to 99% of actual people.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

that is exactly what I do, yeah

tavis is a smart security guy who gets jerked off every time he finds a sandbox escape in a lovely antivirus and that has empowered him to go on at length about how he's the smartest guy in the room and how ACTUALLY this is the best way to do <thing related to his domain>. arguably browser password managers are hypothetically insecure because you have no insight into what they're actually doing in the background to store and secure your credentials, and that's something he completely overlooks while pretending open source (yes I know this doesn't matter to grandma, but it should matter to anyone who claims to be analyzing from the perspective of a security nerd) password managers using proper encryption don't exist

mystes
May 31, 2006

ewiley posted:

Tavis seems all about being "technically right" about everything without caring about other people's use cases. He has these absolutist opinions on AV and MFA because breaking that stuff is his day job. His perspective is so skewed that his opinion is essentially irrelevant to 99% of actual people.
Password manager browser extensions do actually have a pretty loving horrible security track record though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What if I don't trust my bank with my bank password

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Buff Hardback posted:

yeah if i used chrome passwords and wanted to sign into a desktop app i'd have to copy/paste from passwords.google.com to said desktop app, then clear from clipboard history

1password i just drag

Chrome will copy a password to the clipboard from the password management UI in the settings which is probably safer than using the site

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

mystes posted:

Password manager browser extensions do actually have a pretty loving horrible security track record though.

No doubt, but I think the odds of someone successfully exploiting some password extension vs. the enormous benefits of using *any* password manager so you're not re-using creds all over the place make the advice "dont use a password manager" exceedingly stupid and pedantic.

Tavis refuses to believe in incremental change or 'better is better than nothing'.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

Keepass on a dropbox seems simple enough, I use dropbox sync all my stupid cat pictures with all my devices, just shove a kdbx file in there and open with any one dozens of keepAss clients available for every platform, then copy/paste? Strongbox even supports storing OTP seeds and acting as an OTP app.

i use keepass with gdrive backup cus theres a plugin for it that allows for one click syncing. not sure why i would pay money for a subscription service with more surface area for attack.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well if you can't figure it out i guess it isn't your use case. but if you can't figure it out i'm lowkey gonna throw shade on your creative capacity

mystes
May 31, 2006

ewiley posted:

No doubt, but I think the odds of someone successfully exploiting some password extension vs. the enormous benefits of using *any* password manager so you're not re-using creds all over the place make the advice "dont use a password manager" exceedingly stupid and pedantic.

Tavis refuses to believe in incremental change or 'better is better than nothing'.
I don't think he's saying "don't use a password manager" he's saying "don't tell people to use any password manager regardless of which one it is" which maybe even more stupid and pedantic but it's at least not as bad advice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Methanar posted:

It's also by design completely controlled by Apple in the case of ios and may be removed for any or no reason arbitrarily without warning and without recourse as a feature :)

This is a good feature btw. gently caress apps.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i think I would go in insane typing out my passwords on mobile every time now that most of them are 20+ insane gibberish.

Use alpha-numeric only with a single symbol if required. It's just as strong* and much easier to type in for the occasional times you need to do that, i.e. an emergency or whatever.

*adding an extra character provides more security then adding symbols.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Methanar posted:

It's also by design completely controlled by Apple in the case of ios and may be removed for any or no reason arbitrarily without warning and without recourse as a feature :)

Or, on Android, is just themed as an iOS app because they were too lazy to want to have a different scheme to match the platform.

Methanar posted:

You probably shouldn't, actually!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Methanar posted:

i don't even trust them with my money! that's why all my funds are in cryptocur- *a large hook pulls me away before i can complete the incantation to summon bad posters*

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

wait are you telling my giant sack of bottlecaps isn’t a valid investment vehicle?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/jrob___________/status/1401703552817434624

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
momar is also the name of mom martian from Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Kimar is king martian, Girmar is the girl martian child, etc)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

momar kadaffy

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I like the implication that he doesn’t know his wife’s birthday

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1401595174220861453

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm not touching the poop but I am eagerly awaiting hearing about someone that did!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

resident fbi officer, please note that im here only to be pedantic about browser-based password manager functionality

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

From the relationships thread, of all places:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i do and i do go insane

i would love to use the ios password store except i can't figure out how to make it save the password i type in. thanks for reminding me you exist every time i touch a password field though :kiddo:

handoff does let you sync the clipboard between devices so i could, in theory, copy from my password manager on desktop and paste it into my phone. except i've got that disabled because for the other 99.9% of the time the idea of allowing my phone to access my desktop clipboard is horrifying.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Quackles posted:

From the relationships thread, of all places:

i think this turned out to be untrue

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

crepeface posted:

i think this turned out to be untrue

according to twitter, you’re supposed to say “you just got bukkaked” here

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fisting by many posted:

i do and i do go insane

i would love to use the ios password store except i can't figure out how to make it save the password i type in. thanks for reminding me you exist every time i touch a password field though :kiddo:

handoff does let you sync the clipboard between devices so i could, in theory, copy from my password manager on desktop and paste it into my phone. except i've got that disabled because for the other 99.9% of the time the idea of allowing my phone to access my desktop clipboard is horrifying.

i generate these passwords which are strong and typable https://passwordgen.camerontod.com/

Also 1password is integrated into the ios password workflow somehow so it automatically offers to fill password fields and uses faceid to unlock, pretty convenient

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm "NEW 2020" written in paint pen by his aide to remind him to use the new loving laptop instead of the old loving laptop god dammit I spent ALL WEEKEND moving your poo poo over to it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

I'm not touching the poop but I am eagerly awaiting hearing about someone that did!

https://twitter.com/MoMar5456

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
he deleted it, you can go read the thing I posted with the screenshot in case you missed it

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is like the same crap my boomer parents do. They try to make up passwords using short combinations of the same low-entropy parts but then they can't remember them anyway so they have to write them down. I keep trying to tell them that if you can't remember the passwords anyway and have to write them down then you don't have to make it the name of your loving dog, you can use a 10 digit sequence of random numbers and letters and it will make absolutely no difference to how you go about logging into anything, but they're like, no we can't possibly figure out how to generate a sequence of random numbers and letters, it's too hard, and they keep using the same passwords for everything. It's loving stupid.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i had small but important victory, speaking of, by successfully onboarding my mom into 1password

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mystes posted:

This is like the same crap my boomer parents do. They try to make up passwords using short combinations of the same low-entropy parts but then they can't remember them anyway so they have to write them down. I keep trying to tell them that if you can't remember the passwords anyway and have to write them down then you don't have to make it the name of your loving dog, you can use a 10 digit sequence of random numbers and letters and it will make absolutely no difference to how you go about logging into anything, but they're like, no we can't possibly figure out how to generate a sequence of random numbers and letters, it's too hard, and they keep using the same passwords for everything. It's loving stupid.

Its like muscle memory, but for your brain(also your muscles). Sometimes you just need a little nudges to kick that into gear, and the older you get the more common those times are.