Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The term "man cave" has always made my man cave itch when I hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

kntfkr posted:

The term "man cave" has always made my man cave itch when I hear it.

Woah buddy save that for the Squatch thread

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Smugworth posted:

I think a couple companies probably sell wheel kits, Cajun Bandit maybe. The ones I used are just casters from Home Depot drilled and bolted to the legs. $7 a pair.

Suburban wife let slip that she’s getting me the 18” WSM for Father’s Day. Gonna smoke the gently caress outta some meat :hai:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Suburban wife let slip that she’s getting me the 18” WSM for Father’s Day. Gonna smoke the gently caress outta some meat :hai:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

WSM rules but I highly suggest you get a gasket kit from amazon for it. Will make your temperature control much easier and also it’s easier to apply on a brand new smoker. Takes like 10 minutes.

I really enjoyed using mine for the first time. It really didn't seem too hard to maintain a 5 hour cook, but I guess "toss a couple chunks of wood in the fire every so often" is tough in-between rounds of Call of Duty or Pokemon cards or whatever for some folks and they go for the hamster pellets burners.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Smugworth posted:

I really enjoyed using mine for the first time. It really didn't seem too hard to maintain a 5 hour cook, but I guess "toss a couple chunks of wood in the fire every so often" is tough in-between rounds of Call of Duty or Pokemon cards or whatever for some folks and they go for the hamster pellets burners.

Yeah she’s getting me the gasket kit too so I can get it all set up at once. 5 hours of tuggin and checking coals sounds perfect.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Fellow Suburban Dads how are we gonna set the line of succession when I get full Krustied?

I propose that DST and Smugworth rule like Roman Suburban Dad Consuls of old with shared weekend custody of the Krusty Grilling Spatula on alternating weeks, provided Smugworth at least grow a sick Skullet.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Taking the afternoon off to restore a cast iron pan my great-grandmother used back in the day :coolslime:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

tripwood posted:

Taking the afternoon off to restore a cast iron pan my great-grandmother used back in the day :coolslime:

Nothing like cast iron.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
shout out to all the rad suburban dads keeping it thicc and tight.

I’ll show you mine:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
SUBURBAN DADS FALL IN LINE AND CHECK IN WITH YOUR ABIVE GROUND POOLS

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

I had one but I took it out bc it's much maintenance and I'll just go swim at the beach which is 5 min away instead of smelling like chlorine all summer

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

tripwood posted:

I had one but I took it out bc it's much maintenance and I'll just go swim at the beach which is 5 min away instead of smelling like chlorine all summer

Woah we got a beach bum suburban dad !!!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Me, my uncle, and my dad just built part of a shed. I say part of, because my uncle messed up the ridge board that should connect the shed to the back of the garage and let us put a couple valley so that the rain runs off it and it doesn't leak but also maximizing storage space. Dang thing was so bent, I'm surprised the board didn't snap. Had to redo all the rafters to try and straighten the thing out. Uncle's trying to do everything from memory, and let me tell you, sometimes you gotta do a little math. There's numbers on that tape measure for a reason.

Uncle thought we'd be done by 3 pm last Saturday, and here we are a week later with no shed, just okay framing and a botched roof that I'm still not sure is right. Dang thing is probably gonna sit there all summer, too, cause it's too hot to work, but damned if I'm gonna pay a guy to do work I could do myself.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Me, my uncle, and my dad just built part of a shed. I say part of, because my uncle messed up the ridge board that should connect the shed to the back of the garage and let us put a couple valley so that the rain runs off it and it doesn't leak but also maximizing storage space. Dang thing was so bent, I'm surprised the board didn't snap. Had to redo all the rafters to try and straighten the thing out. Uncle's trying to do everything from memory, and let me tell you, sometimes you gotta do a little math. There's numbers on that tape measure for a reason.

Uncle thought we'd be done by 3 pm last Saturday, and here we are a week later with no shed, just okay framing and a botched roof that I'm still not sure is right. Dang thing is probably gonna sit there all summer, too, cause it's too hot to work, but damned if I'm gonna pay a guy to do work I could do myself.

Ms Derps is the builder in the house and she’s starting a shed and I expect all of these things to happen and we will MAYBE have a shed by summer 2037.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

sometimes i bring my little grill on the beach and make chicken wings

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Derpies posted:

SUBURBAN DADS FALL IN LINE AND CHECK IN WITH YOUR ABIVE GROUND POOLS

I have the same pool but can’t post it yet since it’s not set up at the moment. Might work on it tomorrow

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I have the same pool but can’t post it yet since it’s not set up at the moment. Might work on it tomorrow

I upgraded with 2 new floating chairs today

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

My potatoes are doing really well

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

A CRAB IRL posted:

My potatoes are doing really well

i just tossed a pile in the mulch pile so hopefully should have a nice crop in a few weeks

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

strawberries are out of control, this is just tonight’s haul. gonna have to freeze most of them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

So about 2/3 of our regraded and reseeded backyard lawn is coming in real nice. The remaining 1/3 is coming in but it ain’t grass it’s some sort of stalky leafy weed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Found an old gate behind the shed of the house we bought that goes to the deck stairway.

I had it tied up to keep the dogs in, but the bottom piece was rotting out and the nails fell out, so I had to replace that.

Then I hung it to the deck, but it needed some funky shims to actually attach. It works.

This is Bruce and Birdie.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Found an old gate behind the shed of the house we bought that goes to the deck stairway.

I had it tied up to keep the dogs in, but the bottom piece was rotting out and the nails fell out, so I had to replace that.

Then I hung it to the deck, but it needed some funky shims to actually attach. It works.

This is Bruce and Birdie.

What good pups. Also I’m jealous of your lawn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I put work into it: fertilize, water, and frequent mowing. We get a fence next month for the pups so they can burn pee spots all over it. You can see all the dark green spots where I watered in previous pee spots and the grass sucked in the fresh fertilizer. It's a never ending battle.

Also, it's my Birthday. :toot:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have plenty of kindling but no fuel for any fires, so I took the truck in search of some country road firewood depots. Success!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Smugworth posted:

I put work into it: fertilize, water, and frequent mowing. We get a fence next month for the pups so they can burn pee spots all over it. You can see all the dark green spots where I watered in previous pee spots and the grass sucked in the fresh fertilizer. It's a never ending battle.

Also, it's my Birthday. :toot:

Happy birthday Smugs, may good tuggin shine upon you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

The lawn is growing in nice, and it’s been about 4 weeks since seeding. Gonna give it another week to see what needs reseeding and fertilizer.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Went to my brother in law's new place over the weekend, and was introduced to the amazing technology that is a pellet smoker. After some research it appears that there is (of course) strong opinions about the manliness of using one of these. After eating a poo poo ton of delicious and perfectly smoked meat I can firmly say, gently caress the haters; that meat was loving awesome. I don't like to play the "I'm from Texas and I know smoked meats" card too often but I'm throwing it down in this case. Pellet smokers are the tits.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

neato burrito posted:

Went to my brother in law's new place over the weekend, and was introduced to the amazing technology that is a pellet smoker. After some research it appears that there is (of course) strong opinions about the manliness of using one of these. After eating a poo poo ton of delicious and perfectly smoked meat I can firmly say, gently caress the haters; that meat was loving awesome. I don't like to play the "I'm from Texas and I know smoked meats" card too often but I'm throwing it down in this case. Pellet smokers are the tits.

The perception of manliness has nothing to do with it, anyone can smoke meat or cook it in an oven. The issue is tapping numbers on an app vs having an excuse to sit outside drinking beer and futzing with coals all day. Our ribbing is good-natured and I’m happy you got to put some delicious meat in your mouth.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Okay suburban dads, long time reader, first time poster here.

We are having a poison ivy problem, where it has started creeping into the backyard from the woods in back. Anyone have a better solution than using something like this:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-care/weed-and-vegetation-killers/7317324?

Some kinda Ortho Groundclear stuff.

We thought about buying some carpet remnants and trying to smother all along the woodline, but it'd be like 500 square feet, which seems like a lot of effort.

Has anyone hired someone who would go out and just remove it professionally?

Looking for some poison ivy strats, basically.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 8, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

We are having a poison ivy problem, where it has started creeping into the backyard from the woods in back. Anyone have a better solution than using something like this:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-care/weed-and-vegetation-killers/7317324?

We thought about buying some carpet remnants and trying to smother all along the woodline, but it'd be like 500 square feet, which seems like a lot of effort.

We had a few stray vines of it around the house and tried the old farmers almanac trick of mixing vinegar, salt, and dish soap into a spray bottle. It worked pretty well but it sounds like you got quite a bit to get rid of so it may not do the trick.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Flamethrower possible in your area?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

donkey salami posted:

Flamethrower possible in your area?

*Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor noises fade to a pained whine as eyes, sinuses, and throat close from toxic poison ivy smoke*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, you’re probably better off just moving.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We read that the salt solution ends up getting into the soil and then making it impossible to grow other plants there for many years, which would kind of suck.

I guess we'll try spraying pesticides and hope it deals with the poison ivy without permanently damaging the land.

You'd think people who are immune to it would hire themselves out to pick it out of places at a premium, it's like having a superpower.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I guess we'll try spraying pesticides and hope it deals with the poison ivy without permanently damaging the land.

Herbicide. The Ortho poison ivy killer will probably work well, and won't be permanent. Herbicides like Roundup are often just hormones that trick plants into killing themselves, and will deteriorate after application, allowing you to grow in that area again.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The perception of manliness has nothing to do with it, anyone can smoke meat or cook it in an oven. The issue is tapping numbers on an app vs having an excuse to sit outside drinking beer and futzing with coals all day. Our ribbing is good-natured and I’m happy you got to put some delicious meat in your mouth.

yeah seriously how are people not getting this?

but also death to all traeger users.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Gonna also 2nd the can you just move, or perhaps place an above ground pool over all the poison ivy?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

tripwood posted:

sometimes i bring my little grill on the beach and make chicken wings

we can't bring food on our beach. it attracts the gulls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

kntfkr posted:

we can't bring food on our beach. it attracts the gulls!

Where do you think the wings are from?